Info on renting a van/car from London airport to Dover

TWOJERSEYGIRL

Hi

Anyone out there have any experience with renting a driver to take us to Dover from either airport in London (probably Heathrow) same day as we arrive Aug 31st. Don't want to go into London overnight as we have been there many times. We also don't want to use X shuttle if we can avoid it.

Seniors, so taking the train is not an option for us. Got a private driver this year from Rome to ship & is was great. Leaving on Sept 1st on the Connie. Hope someone can help with this.:D

Thanks Natalie

Check out some of the London tourism websites for limo services and you should find several possible companies that will transport you from

Heathrow (or Gatwick) directly to Dover. Be aware that it is a good distance and will probably be quite expensive unless you are sharing the ride with others. We have a group of 10 or 12 who will be doing this in mid-October and the company that one of our group has found is fairly reasonable. If I find out the name of the company, I will post it here. Otherwise you might check out the Constellation TA thread on the Roll Call. One of the posters has created a website with links to several different sites for limo services, excursions etc.:)

Hi Jerseygirl.,

If you have a choice I would suggest flying into Gatwick, not near as crowded nor difficult to get around as Heathrow. It is also closer to Dover, and the security check-in time is thirty minutes later. On a recent trip I set up a Mercedes 16 pax mini bus for five couples. It was about $320 or abouyt $32 apiece. We had plenty of room for our baggage, and the trip was very nice. We got together on the roll call forum, and coordinated our arrivals and pick-up there. You could find the roll call for your cruise and post a request for those that would like to share the ride. There are a number of transfer companies listed for london, and you can shop for the best rates for the size of the party that you

form.

We've stayed twice at the Churchill hotel in dover, and would recommend it highly. Beautiful location right on the harbor, and we watched the Constellation sail into port from our balcony in the hotel. The city center is two blocks from the hotel, and a hop-on-hop-off bus has a pick up stop right at the hotel. You can also view the castle and the white cliffs from the hotel. There is a nice pub off the lobby with a patio where you can view the harbor traffic.

The cruise terminal is a ten minute cab ride from the hotel. Departure morning we had breakfast at the hotel, and after a short walk, we called a taxi at about 11:00A and were on the ship before noon. It is a great way to wind down after flying in from CA, we had no hassles or rushing at all. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

petert

Whether you are coming into Heathrow or Gatwick I can certainly recommend Woodford Chauffeurs who were absolutely fantastic at transporting us (and we met several others onboard who were also happy with them) to Dover - or well it should have been Dover but it was Harwich but that is another stroy. We picked up details on them on the CC Britain Board - pop over there as there are a number of options people can help you with

I have also used Woodford Chauffeurs the past couple of trips involving transportation to and from the London Airports.

You can e mail Cheryl who takes care of the scheduling at cheryl@bcfinch.freeserve.co.uk

For starters just give her basic infomation. (eg., number of passengers, quantity and size of luggage, airport for pickup and location for dropoff, and date) and she will give you a price quote. If you use them then you would need to give them your names, flight information, etc.

You can either pay them in British Pounds or they will take a credit card. For a credit card they will charge a slight surcharge and Cheryl will give you the specifics.

Keith

Hi Jercal,

We used the same company for transfers to Dover from both Heathrow and Gatwick. Their URL is http://www.centralexectravel.co.uk. They have excellent equipment and are very reliable. One of our CC group set up a pub crawl with them for about 20 of us before we made the 2005 west bound trans Atlantic cruise. We all had a really great time, and enjoyed the Dover hospitality. Makes me think hard about repeating that trip again.

petert

Archived