CRUISE LINE Single Supplement Bargains -- Post Here

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

Hi Lois,

it's always great to see you and chat with you a bit :). I hope all is well with you and yours.

I understand how this long cruise may not work for some, but thought I would post it anyway, as I know there are some retired solo cruisers on the board.

Happy cruising to you!!

Marie

i found this deal for Royal Carribean weekend cruise to Baja Mexico from Los Angeles. Weekend of 2/29/08 and the following weekend a few dollars more.

CA resident rate for an inside came to $263 mid ship, onboard credit of $100!

Non Resident rates a few dollars more.

OV $342 plus $100 OBC

Fuel supplement $5 day additional

• 2 weeks later...

Question: I've heard a lot about special solo supplements on RCI. Other than seeing them on here, is there any way to know that RCI is having a 'solo' sale? Do they announce them in their mailings (I get them) or do you just have to be lucky when you try different mailings?

Question: I've heard a lot about special solo supplements on RCI. Other than seeing them on here, is there any way to know that RCI is having a 'solo' sale? Do they announce them in their mailings (I get them) or do you just have to be lucky when you try different mailings?

Sometimes the specials are listed in their weekly promowave file:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/RCL.pdf

This sometimes includes the single supplement sales, though I'm not sure how often those occur.

Right now, RCCL has a high number of reduced single supplements, though the majority are on their shorter 4 and 5 night sailings. Most have restrictions on them that they're residents rates, seniors, military, or specific categories.

• 3 weeks later...

Offered a single deal on the QM for September 19 nights doing the T/A BTB as well as New England. Seems a good price but I am holding on as I am on the 29th Feb. cruise out of NY to the Caribbean. 2nd time on the QM but loved her.

Sue

I've been searching all morning: Royal Caribbean (my personal favorite), NCL, Celebrity, Holland America and even Carnival. No price breaks for solos that I can find. I'll have to prepare to call for last-minute bookings, but then the airfare will get me. We're in a Catch 22 I think. So instead I'm looking at $348 rt airfare from Detroit to Paris and I guess I'll go there instead and just keep an eye on these boards.

Anybody have any luck?

Offered a single deal on the QM for September 19 nights doing the T/A BTB as well as New England. Seems a good price but I am holding on as I am on the 29th Feb. cruise out of NY to the Caribbean. 2nd time on the QM but loved her.

Sue

What was the deal? $$

I've been searching all morning: Royal Caribbean (my personal favorite), NCL, Celebrity, Holland America and even Carnival. No price breaks for solos that I can find. I'll have to prepare to call for last-minute bookings, but then the airfare will get me. We're in a Catch 22 I think. So instead I'm looking at $348 rt airfare from Detroit to Paris and I guess I'll go there instead and just keep an eye on these boards.

Anybody have any luck?

What time of year do you want to go?

The deal I was offered was for a D5 single occupancy was ***** from one agent and ***** from a second.

Given that this is a 19 night cruise I think this is a very good deal.

Sue

Let's not forget the title of this thread and the post on the first page from Community Manager LauraS.

We're fine with you folks using this thread to share info you may find on solo cruising bargains -- as long as those bargains are offered by the CRUISE LINES and not by a travel agency or GROUP CRUISE.

Thanks,

Laura

Kat110105_emYA42_prv.gif

This Sept QM2 cruise is from Cunard and includes a 5% discount for previous passengers. It is not something which the TA has made their own. I called my usual TA and she was able to book this directly with Cunard but I am holding off until after my February cruise.

I know that it is not allowed to quote group rates or some special deal a particular TA is offering.

Sorry if I didn't make this obvious.

Sue

I'd go any time. There are some good rates in February and March for doubles, I might just send an e-mail out to all my friends and see if I can find a cabin-mate. I searched all the sales and with the great last-minute rates, the solo traveler charges don't seem so bad.

Anybody have any luck?

I noticed this morning that HAL has done away with single supplements for some of their '09 Med & Northern European cruises on the Princendam. I've yet to cruise HAL. Anybody recommend this ship? :confused:

I noticed this morning that HAL has done away with single supplements for some of their '09 Med & Northern European cruises on the Princendam. I've yet to cruise HAL. Anybody recommend this ship? :confused:

My parents, who are 78 and 76 yrs old and are world travellers, went on their very first cruise last year for 14 days through the Panama Canal on the Prinsendam - they HATED it!! They said that the average age was about 90 and that they hadn't seen so many wheelchairs and people on oxygen since they visited a nursing home. As a matter of fact, they described the ship as a "floating nursing home." They said they were bored and that many of the passengers complained and grumbled about everything.

I know it seems like my parents are in the same age category, but they're very active, live in their own home, and still snow ski. I don't know if all the cruises on this ship cater to such an older group, but you might want to check it out. If it were me, I could overlook the age thing and have a great time - especially without a single supplement! ;)

My parents, who are 78 and 76 yrs old and are world travellers, went on their very first cruise last year for 14 days through the Panama Canal on the Prinsendam - they HATED it!! They said that the average age was about 90 and that they hadn't seen so many wheelchairs and people on oxygen since they visited a nursing home. As a matter of fact, they described the ship as a "floating nursing home." They said they were bored and that many of the passengers complained and grumbled about everything.

I know it seems like my parents are in the same age category, but they're very active, live in their own home, and still snow ski. I don't know if all the cruises on this ship cater to such an older group, but you might want to check it out. If it were me, I could overlook the age thing and have a great time - especially without a single supplement! ;)

Hmmm. This is food for thought. I've seen the Prinsendam referred to in other posts as "the hospital ship." And for some reason, HAL's demographic does seem to skew to an "older" crowd. (And I know what you mean about having young-at-heart parents! Mine are the same ages as yours and have just recently stopped downhill skiing because their joints are finally beginning to show some wear and tear, but they still live in their own home and are extremely active world travelers. They're a hoot to travel with.)

I've yet to make up my mind on this deal; if only there'd be a fun roll call for one of these cruises, it would make a world of difference. 14 days is a long time to be on a trip where the complaining never ends. :(

I prefer RCI (as you can see from my signature). When I travel solo with them I fill out the form to make a reservation (# of passengers -1). When I choose my cabin it gives me a price. If it is an off season or an older ship (see my Enchantment cruises), the final price usually reflects a significant reduction in single supplement (5 days 12/15/07 inside cabin $419 including port fees, taxes, etc.). They don't seem to advertise the lower single supplements, don't ask me why. It takes time if you're searching for the supplement. I usually look during slow seasons.

I just booked a 7-night cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam for March 8, 2008. HAL, Princess, and Carnival has some good deals over the next couple of months (if you stay away from President's Day week and Easter week) on their ships that leave the West Coast for Mexico.

I got an N inside guarantee for about $100 per day. That price includes fees and taxes, as well as the $35 fuel surcharge.

Roz

I booked RCCL Enchantment of the Seas September 15, 2008 today. Got a category N inside cabin for $718.34 tax, port fees, fuel, and prepaid tip included. We will be cruising for 5 nights stopping in Key West, Cozumel, and Belize. Hope to see other singles there.

Archived