CRUISE LINE Single Supplement Bargains -- Post Here

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

It is great to see some activity on this board...it got awfully quiet for a while.

Jack - thanks for the NCL tips. I have been watching the site for deals but had not noticed either of these...and I am ready to get away. That 6-night repositioning may be just the thing. Hope you are doing well.

Dyan

It is great to see some activity on this board...it got awfully quiet for a while.

Jack - thanks for the NCL tips. I have been watching the site for deals but had not noticed either of these...and I am ready to get away. That 6-night repositioning may be just the thing. Hope you are doing well.

Dyan

Hey Dyan,

Nice to see you here! Things are great here, but, no firm plans for a sailing as of right now. Hope you are doing well! :)

I also found that the 19-day, November 4, 2008, sailing of NCL's Norwegian Sun from San Francisco to Santiago is available on NCL's site with no Single Supplement. Pricing for an Inside Category K came up as follows:

Price SummaryTotal Price: $1,328.32 Cruise $999.00 Fuel Supplement $209.00 Government Taxes and Fees $120.32

Seems that other categories are available with no Single Supplement.

Happy Sailing - Jack

Hey Dyan,

Nice to see you here! Things are great here, but, no firm plans for a sailing as of right now. Hope you are doing well! :)

I also found that the 19-day, November 4, 2008, sailing of NCL's Norwegian Sun from San Francisco to Santiago is available on NCL's site with no Single Supplement. Pricing for an Inside Category K came up as follows:

Price SummaryTotal Price: $1,328.32 Cruise $999.00 Fuel Supplement $209.00 Government Taxes and Fees $120.32

Happy Sailing - Jack

Wow - that is a fantastic deal! If only I could take that much time off, but it's not in the cards right now. The six-night trip is probably about the max I can take this year...but I think even that would be a great get-away. How do you keep current on these deals?

Wow - that is a fantastic deal! If only I could take that much time off, but it's not in the cards right now. The six-night trip is probably about the max I can take this year...but I think even that would be a great get-away. How do you keep current on these deals?

I noticed that these sailings had some great rates in general and started checking the Single rates and got lucky.

It's nice to see that single cruisers in the US are getting some deals. I live in the UK and over here it's pretty close to double rates and that's with the British pound costing almost double the US $. So I hope lower rates start over here.

I live in the Uk too and have discovered a simple way around the shortage of good single rates here. I buy my cruises from US agents. I've just booked my 5th cruise from a US agent and I haven't had any trouble so far. I fact i find them far better to deal with than UK agents - and the price is usually keener too. One word of advice though: make sure your credit card doesn't have high foreign transaction fees. Most do. Nationwide, the Post Office and one of Abbey's offerings have no fee.

Hey Dyan,

Happy Sailing - Jack

NCL must really be hurting to fill cabins because in the past they were one of the worst for Single Supp's. I would love to try another NCL but right now I just can't book another cruise (full schedule).

Hey Dyan,

Happy Sailing - Jack

I went to NCL's website with the intention of booking this cruise. One problem: NCL is not offering air. I tried a couple of gateway cities and got the same response: no air package. Air for this cruise (which is basically a one-way from South America) would cost a minimum of $1800. I also tried an on-line travel agency and was confronted with the same problem.

Does anyone know any way to avoid/cut down the high cost of a one-way from South America?

Mike,

The short answer is "no". :D I've been researching air for S. American cruises that leave from one port and debark in another. About the cheapest I've come up with is about $1,500. I live in the Southeast.

Roz

I went to NCL's website with the intention of booking this cruise. One problem: NCL is not offering air. I tried a couple of gateway cities and got the same response: no air package. Air for this cruise (which is basically a one-way from South America) would cost a minimum of $1800. I also tried an on-line travel agency and was confronted with the same problem.

Does anyone know any way to avoid/cut down the high cost of a one-way from South America?

I've been watching this Norwegian Sun sailing recently because several of us on these boards sailed the Norwegian Dream in April of this year on her way back from Valpariaso. At the time we were booking, we found that www.kayak.com had some good one-way fares listed. One airline several people used was Avianca through Bogata. Kayak links you directly to the site offering the fare. Also mentioned, at the time, was http://www.atiflights.com/, but, I'm not aware of anyone who used them. As we all know, with the cost of fuel, prices are different than they were then. At any rate, I hope that maybe these 2 sites will give you some additional help. Good luck.

Jack

Check the price on a RT from some of the site listed here by Jack. Make sure the FIRST leg is the part you need and then just toss the return. Be creative and check different return days allowing at least a week. In many cases the RT is cheaper than a one way and maybe, just maybe you can find something for less. The airfare is the big reason repo cruise are frequently cheaper because people have to spend a lot more money on airfare and in this day of high fuel and extra $$ for luggage it makes it very hard for most.

Another way to cut down the cost is to price up a 2 sector multi city routing. For example New York to San Francisco outbound, and then Santiago to NY inbound. I'm getting a price around the $1200 mark for this routing.

I was on a cruise down the Pacific coast to Valparaiso/Santiago last year. I had a fabulous time, thoroughly enjoying doing my own thing in each port. Taxis are plenty cheap enough that, with a bit of negotiation, you can hire them for hours at a time. A useful saving which you can use to help justify taking the cruise in the first place!

Luckily I know my airlines and i discovered a Spanish low cost carrier which offered low cost one-way flights to Madrid from Santiago for my return last year. The 13 hour flight cost me $570 plus another $30 to fly back home to Scotland. Having said that i didn't discover a reasonably priced flight to Miami to join the cruise - so i hopped on a cruise ship accross the Atlantic instead!

It takes a bit of creativity but i trust that you'll find a way to make the journey afforable.

Another thing to think about is adding an additional stop if there's another location you want to visit while you're out and about...

The cheapest fare I'd found so far from Boston to Miami for my November 30 sailing on Carnival's Triumph was $380. I adjusted the search to a multi city, dropped San Francisco in, for a BOS -> MIA -> SFO -> BOS routing. This fare was only $200 more! I've been watching the BOS to SFO fares for over two months and they haven't dropped below $400. So I'll get a trip home to do my Santa-run for half of what it would have cost otherwise.

Just a thought...

Kathy Q

Just a general comment/observation here. I'm finding more and more that my cruise itinerary choices are being determined and influenced heavily by the airline factor - both price and routing.

Roz

Just a general comment/observation here. I'm finding more and more that my cruise itinerary choices are being determined and influenced heavily by the airline factor - both price and routing.

Roz

Ain't that the truth!

Nancy

Thanks to everyone who provided encouragement and suggestions. I had almost given up when I stumbled upon Air Canada. AC will sell you a one-way from Santiago, Chile for a reasonable price compared to everyone else - no bargain but bearable. So it looks like I'm off on a 19 day cruise - don't know if I can take it.

Special thanks to jjb415 for bringing this cruise to my attention.

Mike

Found another deal on NCL. The Norwegian Sun cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco 9/14-9/21 has no single supplement. With taxes, fees, etc., total price for a single BA is just $1286. Airfare will be around $400. I WILL be booking either this or the 9/21 NCL Pacific Coastal...just need to decide which.

Thanks again, Jack, for the tips.

Are all of these prices for inside only? It would seem so.

I've never stayed in an inside - don't you get claustrophobic? How do you know if it is daylight outside if you wake up early? Or how to dress for the weather? I think I'd need to start out on a shorter cruise first to see if I can handle an inside cabin. Of course, I'd rather be INSIDE than not to cruise at all!!

:)

I've never stayed in an inside - don't you get claustrophobic? How do you know if it is daylight outside if you wake up early? Or how to dress for the weather? I think I'd need to start out on a shorter cruise first to see if I can handle an inside cabin. Of course, I'd rather be INSIDE than not to cruise at all!!

Hi:) the question is a good one and you will find many, MANY,

MANY different answers.;)

99% of the time I book an inside cabin and have never had

a problem with weather, time, claustrophobia or any other

items.

Some folks will tell you they never sail without a balcony,

others always want a window.

It truely depends on the individual. There is no right or wrong.

How to dress? The Caribbean is almost always warm ...I know

what to wear:D shorts, t's and bathing suits and coverups

for the daytime;)

Going to Alaska? I follow weather reports and know to layer.

For the Med? I have not done it yet.........

Mexican Riveria, its warm most of the year there too.

I am sure others will give you more replies:)

... How do you know if it is daylight outside if you wake up early?...

If the cruise line has a TV channel with a camera showing the front of the ship, go to bed with the TV on and to that channel. When you wake up, just glance at the screen to see if the sun is up or not.

I've done it before and it worked just fine for me!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Ditto what Lois just posted. The only time I've had an outside cabin is when I've booked an inside guarantee and been upgraded. Insides are fine by me. I've never had a problem with them.

For me personally, booking an inside allows me to cruise solo once a year. If I waited until I could book a balcony or even an outside, it would mean a cruise every 18-24 months...too long to wait! :D

Roz

Take a travel clock with you.

Annieeee

I had an inside for my first couple of cruises. I didn't like it - I never knew when I woke up if it was day or night. Completely screwed up my internal clock. I absolutely must have natural light so I always book an outside. I don't care if it's a window or a porthole, and I don't care about the view being fully or partially obstructed. It a solo outside costs me more, then so be it.

Archived