future cruise consultant

galipemi

I'm not really sure this question even belongs on this site but it's the only place I could think to go. I have been lurking on the site for a while now and was wondering about HAL's future cruise consultant positions. Does anyone know where they hire or how to go about applying? I have been to their website and cannot find anything about it.

Please help if anyone knows the answer.

Mahalo!

I'm not really sure this question even belongs on this site but it's the only place I could think to go. I have been lurking on the site for a while now and was wondering about HAL's future cruise consultant positions. Does anyone know where they hire or how to go about applying? I have been to their website and cannot find anything about it.

Mahalo!

:) The information for HAL is as follows:

300 Elliott Avenue, West,

Seattle, Washington

'Phone: 1-206-281-3535

Fax: 1-206-281-7110

I would contact HAL's Seattle headquarters, as others have suggested ... but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high ... unless you are a travel agent with some impressive revenue figures to show. Those future cruise consultants are basically travel agents at sea ... only instead of working on commission, they work for HAL. They have revenue goals they have to meet on each cruise, and I would imagine that if they fail to meet them consistently, they get tossed overboard ... or at least shown the door at the end of yet another non-productive cruise. :)

I think there are a total of four onboard cruise consultants employed by HAL, and one is assigned to all longer voyages, including the World Cruise and other Grand Voyages. I would imagine they are hired from among folks working at the high producing travel agencies who book a lot of HAL cruises, so your best bet might be to get a job first with one of them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Welcome to the boards.

The on board cruise consultants are picked from the cruise consultants working the phones at the Seattle office. I have a friend who is a cruise consultant working for HAL in Seattle. They are offered cruises and if they accept when that particular cruise is over they go back to the desk job in Seattle. It is a kind of perk to work a cruise. Even the OBCC for the world cruise goes back to Seattle and their desk when it is over.

This means that the others are right and you need to apply through Seattle; it also means relocating to Seattle to work.

That might be how they get some of them for short cruises or periods of time, but we talked extensively to the OCC onboard the Ryndam last month and she told us she has a 4 month contract. Then she goes home and can decide if she wants to renew her contract and be assigned again. She gets a salary and a cabin to herself for compensation. She told us she was a travel agent previously but said you don't have to be one to get the job. Happy Sailing!

Has HAL started putting consultants back on more sailings?

To my knowledge, yes. I was amazed when I saw a future cruise consultant on my 7-day Volendam cruise this Summer. She told me that HAL was now going to have consultants on all cruises. I also saw one on my 15-day Zaandam cruise in October, but that wasn't surprising due to the length of the cruise.

We'll see if there's one on the 11-day Noordam cruise in January.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have not been a TA previously but have worked extensively in the travel industry for years now. Everything from airlines to insurance to cruise lines. I guess I will contact Seattle to find out how to go about applying and what my chances are.

Thanks and Mele Kalikimaka!

The on board cruise consultants are picked from the cruise consultants working the phones at the Seattle office.

And how are those Seattle cruise consultants selected? Are they former travel agents?

I will say, though ... those cruise consultants probably have the best job onboard, though I'm not foolish enough to think it's easy. Believe me, they put in long days too. Those "desk hours" they hold each sea day down in the atrium are probably just the half of it! I was talking to one of the cruise consultants on my cruise last January and she told me pretty much. Other than the "desk hours" ... which almost always run way beyond their time limits, they also have to complete all the paperwork for their bookings ... and that can be substantial if they are doing their jobs well. In addition to that, they also have the normal sales reports and other paperwork that you'd have to do in any business. All of this stuff is done after desk hours. Then they have some "private consultations" after desk hours, along with future cruise presentations they have to make onboard. Finally, they have various "social" responsibilities onboard ... and anything else they may be asked to do such as evaluate a shore excursion vendor on a port day when they don't have extensive consultations.

It's a rough life ... but also a good one. I'd certainly enjoy it. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have not been a TA previously but have worked extensively in the travel industry for years now. Everything from airlines to insurance to cruise lines. I guess I will contact Seattle to find out how to go about applying and what my chances are.

Good luck to you ... and hopefully, I'll be making my arrangements for a future cruise with you onboard one day!

Blue skies ...

--rita

On half a lark, I sent my resume to HAL for consideration for a cruise consultant position. I have a strong business background and am now a Realtor when I am not cruising. I am ready, willing and able to work my way up to a World Cruise consultant.

I am still waiting for the standard "we have received your resume and will keep it on file" acknowledgement letter. Thank goodless, I am not holding my breath.

When and if this becomes a 3/4 lark, I'll figure out what it takes to get the attention of Seattle. Stay tuned.

When and if this becomes a 3/4 lark, I'll figure out what it takes to get the attention of Seattle. Stay tuned.

Best of luck to you, Hammybee! Let us know how it turns out.

By the way, at least if I am understanding things correctly, you might not have to wait that long to "work up" to the World Future Cruise Consultant. From what I understand, HAL has a hard time filling that position. Few people want to be stuck on a ship for 100+ days with pretty much the same mix of passengers. Also, I would imagine the workload on the World Cruise would be heavier; i.e., more people of "means" wishing to book several more cruises while onboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

They are mostly selected (I would imagine) from people with extensive credentials and/or company service.

Follow the recommendations of others, contact the Seattle HQ and go from there... It more than likely won't be your INITIAL position, but hey... you never know, right?

Mahalo!

Best of luck to you, Hammybee! Let us know how it turns out.

By the way, at least if I am understanding things correctly, you might not have to wait that long to "work up" to the World Future Cruise Consultant. From what I understand, HAL has a hard time filling that position. Few people want to be stuck on a ship for 100+ days with pretty much the same mix of passengers. Also, I would imagine the workload on the World Cruise would be heavier; i.e., more people of "means" wishing to book several more cruises while onboard.

Blue skies ...--rita

Thanks for the luck wish, Rita.

I would be delighted to be "stuck" for 100 days with passengers of means who want to book more cruises while onboard. I do not handle sea days well cause I go stir crazy and would be thrilled to have something meaningful to do.

I would be there to work and fill in, wherever needed elsewhere.

And I think there would be the potential for a book in this adventure too, begining with a 50 something, boarding a World Cruise with 17 cases of Dr. Pepper and then.......

Archived