Can a Shy, Quiet Person have fun on a solo cruise?

LadyV_39

If you can have a good time anywhere, it shouldn't matter any more on a cruise by yourself. Small city on the water. Mingle as you like or feel comfortable with. People are always open on cruises. Gosh...this makes me want to "GET OUT THERE" again and I just came back from one the end of April. I planned to go by myself, but husband agreed to go at the last minute on AOS to the Southern Caribbean including Aruba. What a fantastic trip. I would have rented a Jeep and gone by myself. I love Aruba! I also like the 2 cruise days doing nothing (but eating and sleeping, hehehe).

I tend to be shy with people I don't know, but if for any reason I make a connection, I just go to town. Once I know someone at all, I'm very talkative and friendly. I'm wondering how to make that connection with people on the ship -- I know it will be easy on excursions. I've heard that just saying something nice to someone is a great way to start things off. We'll see how brave I can be :D

• 1 month later...

I would like to do a solo cruise, but I am also pretty shy around new people. I would not be comfortable going to any "mixers" or single meetings. I would also prefer dining by myself rather than at a table with others who might not show up one night and leave me alone at an 8 top!! :( But I don't want to eat dinner at the buffet - the dining room food is part of the joy of a cruise. Do they ever seat a single person at a table for 2 or in a booth by themselves?

I dearly love cruising, but it's hard to arrange with friends to travel together. I think it's more fun to have someone to be with and not feel like the 5th wheel. Is it possible to just blend in on a large ship? I don't go to bars or drink alcohol, so there's alot of "socializing" that I wouldn't want to do. I would go on excursions, though. But somehow it sounds lonely to go solo.

You could request a table for 2 if you want to dine by yourself. A lot of couples ask for them so it may not be possbile, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you ask to be seated at a large table (8-12 diners), the chance that you'll be left to dine by yourself every night is small. You can always ask to be moved to another table.

Sounds like you've already decided solo cruising will be a negative experience and you've talked yourself out of it. It's not for everyone.

Roz

I would like to do a solo cruise, but I am also pretty shy around new people. I would not be comfortable going to any "mixers" or single meetings. I would also prefer dining by myself rather than at a table with others who might not show up one night and leave me alone at an 8 top!! :( But I don't want to eat dinner at the buffet - the dining room food is part of the joy of a cruise. Do they ever seat a single person at a table for 2 or in a booth by themselves?

I dearly love cruising, but it's hard to arrange with friends to travel together. I think it's more fun to have someone to be with and not feel like the 5th wheel. Is it possible to just blend in on a large ship? I don't go to bars or drink alcohol, so there's alot of "socializing" that I wouldn't want to do. I would go on excursions, though. But somehow it sounds lonely to go solo.

I thought about a solo cruise for 2009. I am already booked for a cruise with my Mom next year, and my husband does has no desire to cruise. Its hard sometimes to get friends to travel with you due to work schedules, families etc. I have a an adult son, so thats not a problem for me.

One idea I was thinking about is finding someone on the same cruise that I am booked on and maybe meeting up with them throughout the cruise to hang out or go on excursions with. This way you don't feel obligated to be with them all the time, and you can still have your own space. You can share the same dinner table with them, but of course separate rooms.

You could request a table for 2 if you want to dine by yourself. A lot of couples ask for them so it may not be possbile, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you ask to be seated at a large table (8-12 diners), the chance that you'll be left to dine by yourself every night is small. You can always ask to be moved to another table.

Sounds like you've already decided solo cruising will be a negative experience and you've talked yourself out of it. It's not for everyone.

Roz

Roz, I agree with your assessment. It sounds negative to

me as well.

Though I have never been lonely on a cruise...Alone, maybe...and

that is by choice.;) Lonely? Nope!:D

But I always request a large table for dinner and if things don't

click I just go to the Maitr'd and speak to him about changing

tables. They do it all the time.

Another way to meet people is to find the ROLL CALL Board

and check in over there. Usually those folks who chat on there

are very nice. I just put a deposit down for something in 2009 and

there is a group already on the roll call and they invited me

to join them for dinner! When people do that ahead of time in

most cases they are nice in person as well:) (in my experiences).

Beach, I always sail solo by choice. It is the best way (for me)!

But I do agree with Roz.....your post sounds sort of sad.

For me, cruising is a happy time!:D

I will be taking a Carnival cruise by myself at the end of October and would have a couple questions.

1. For those that ahve been on Carnival "Spiriit", I would like to get your feedback on what you thought about it?

2. I read on that to meet people someone statesd to checj roll call. What is this and where do I find it?

I am booked on a 17 day Panama Canal cruise in Jan 08.I took a singles cruise by myself last Jan. I had a great time, but I was with a group. This year I am venturing out without a group. I have requested a table of 6 people .I am sort of shy, so I thought 6 would be good not too many and not to few. Even though I eat alone at home I really would hate to have to do it on a cruise. The roll call boards and the other CC boards are just great. I met some people outside of my singles group on the CC boards and actually had the most fun I have ever had on a cruise with them.

I was sort of forced into solo vacations because it's sometimes such a pain to get other people (friends and family) to "get it together" but life is too short not to do what you want sometimes.Plus I like having the space all to myself..Just like home but no cooking , cleaning or work:)

GO FOR IT!!

I will be taking a Carnival cruise by myself at the end of October and would have a couple questions.

1. For those that ahve been on Carnival "Spiriit", I would like to get your feedback on what you thought about it?

2. I read on that to meet people someone statesd to checj roll call. What is this and where do I find it?

Howdy travelbug67! 50.gif

Welcome to Cruise Critic! 04.gif

For your questions about Carnival Spirit, I suggest you research the Carnival Cruise Lines Forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=215.

Regarding the Roll Calls, your post on the Roll Calls - Carnival Spirit Forum has been merged with the previously established Roll Call thread titled Spirit-Mexico Oct. 29. 2007. Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=413506 to find fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you that have posted so far. You can take your on-line relationship from there.

I sincerely hope this information will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 05.gif

Kat020105_emYA11_prv.gif

Travelbug,

I was on the Carnival Spirit for a CC group cruise to Hawaii back in April. It's a beautifully decorated ship, which I would term elegant glitz. It has the best layout of any ship I've been on. There aren't any of those "dead spaces" that prevent you from from walking from one end of a deck to the other end. I thought the layout of the LaPlaya Grille (the Lido on other ships) was confusing, though.

I'm considering a CC group cruise on the Miracle, on the Spirit's sister ships.

Roz

Archived