Quest/Journey Dining

ECCruise

Don't know if this is a lock, but just received an email from a TA on some of the South American sailings. Quote:

Celebrity just purchased two of the former Renaissance ships, the R6 and R7, and reintroduced them as Journey and Quest. There will be butler service in EVERY cabin, open seating dining, a significantly upgraded menu, and no formal nights. They have fantastic beds and linens. You will love the small size (only about 700 guests,) which allows for fast and smooth embarkation and debarkation.

I know this has been hinted at in the past but this is the first time I have seen it in writing. Any TAs have confirmation?

Hi Sheila & ECC !

I know I have read the same things elsewhere a few weeks ago. I remember reading about open seating Dining, upgraded menus, butler service in all cabins, and I also thought I read about... NO FORMAL NIGHTS. If this is true I do believe the Dining Dress Code will be Country Club Casual, similiar to how Oceania does it.

FYI, I called Captains Club today, and asked the same questions. They confirmed there will be butlers in all cabins, upgraded menus, and open seating. When I asked about not having Formal Nights, they said they have not heard anything about that. I still feel it is a possibility though.

I hope this helps a bit !

Thanks for your input, Andy!

I really do think that if X has designs on competing with Oceania with the Xpedition division, they need to do all of the things mentioned above including new menus :D ,

open seating and no formal nights.

Thanks, Andy...I had also emailed my TA, but, as usual, got your information first :) Will wait on ordering the Tux until more info is available. Will post if I hear more info. Sure would like to see it in writing!

Spengle, when is your cruise? I think that they have said that the Bermuda season and the repo in the fall will be traditional dining with formal nights.

Interesting, isn't it? Sounds to me like when RCI made a run at Oceania and it was was rejected, they chose a different route.

I do think this is a good move IF they upgrade food and service to old X levels (which used to be excellent) and beyond. Country club casual and open dining are also big pluses since formal nights seem to be going away a bit even on X.

I will be curious to hear from those on the first sailings, especially if they have experience on Oceania.

As for butler service, I hope it is better than on Century as those guys simply had too many cabins to handle.

DrewB, if it is like Oceania, people will be well dressed and not try to push the limits by wearing sweats to the dining room. Country club casual is a step up from what seems to be accepted/tolerated as informal these days on mass market lines.

Formal nights are fine with me on ships that have them but should be enforced as should all dress codes, IMO. I think the issue with most is that dress codes are all but ignored these days on the mainstream lines, including my recent cruises on X.

I do not enjoy sitting next to someone who wears a ball cap and matching t shirt to dinner in the dining room, complimented by tennis shoes. IMO, it is tacky and disrespectful.

At the price point of these ships and lines like OCeania and Regent, it seems that people demonstrate good taste and appropriate dress without considering it to be painful.

JMO.

I'm not specifically talking about you, as I think you lean more towards being an Oceania/Regent type demographic, anyway, Caviargirl. I'm talking about people who LOVE to dress up in tuxes and gowns and to have those around them dressed that way as well. They don't get to dress this way in their day to day lives, and they feel that such dress makes an evening more special. There are many of them, here! More power to them, but if this is the direction X is going, they may not like it...

I'm not specifically talking about you, as I think you lean more towards being an Oceania/Regent type demographic, anyway, Caviargirl. I'm talking about people who LOVE to dress up in tuxes and gowns and to have those around them dressed that way as well. They don't get to dress this way in their day to day lives, and they feel that such dress makes an evening more special. There are many of them, here! More power to them, but if this is the direction X is going, they may not like it...

I agree. I think this is definitely the direction that X is going with Xpedition and, I think you will see the option, at least, of some sort of open seating arrangement on the Solstice Class.

We've seen the speculation on this as well.

We'll be on Journey's fall repo cruise, so we'll be interested in hearing what they decide on these issues. I have worn a dark suit rther than a tux, but I could go for CC/casual easily. We prefer early seating, but open seating would also be nice for this itinerary.

I'll ask my TA and see what she can find out, and I'll share with y'all if and when I find out.

Cabo

Expedition is "different" due to the nature of the cruse it attracts a more agile and younger crowd (old forgies like myself cannot clamber over all the rough ground)

On my cruise Dec 9-23 I spoke at length with the future cruise person, asking questions about Quest and Journey, he knew nothing and I do mean nothing. He said no decisions had been made and until that is done there will not be anything on his computor.

I explained that as a solo traveller, open seating would be a no -no for myself, then there would be the cost of solo occupancy, as for a Butler in the lowest price cabins, how could that be? His only info was that both Quest and Journey would be more expensive than the other ships of the line, because the less passengers, the more attention from staff and so more operating costs. There was also the fact that the smaller the ship the fewer the money making "extra" venues that we now pay for .

He made a guess on the cost of a solo least expensive cabin on Quest and it would be as expensive as Crystal! If I am to pay that money I will go Crystal .

Expedition is "different" due to the nature of the cruse it attracts a more agile and younger crowd (old forgies like myself cannot clamber over all the rough ground)

On my cruise Dec 9-23 I spoke at length with the future cruise person, asking questions about Quest and Journey, he knew nothing and I do mean nothing. He said no decisions had been made and until that is done there will not be anything on his computor.

I explained that as a solo traveller, open seating would be a no -no for myself, then there would be the cost of solo occupancy, as for a Butler in the lowest price cabins, how could that be? His only info was that both Quest and Journey would be more expensive than the other ships of the line, because the less passengers, the more attention from staff and so more operating costs. There was also the fact that the smaller the ship the fewer the money making "extra" venues that we now pay for .

He made a guess on the cost of a solo least expensive cabin on Quest and it would be as expensive as Crystal! If I am to pay that money I will go Crystal .

Open seating and no formal nights are just two more reasons to avoid Quest and Journey (along with outrageous prices). If this is the direction that X is taking then it is no longer my cruise line of choice and we will have to look elsewhere. I believe the core of X's repeat business are pax that enjoy the traditional dining experience along with formal and informal nights. If they do away with this then they have become a totally different cruise line.

Caviargirl...I believe you recent X experience on Century was a shorter cruise right? I have always heard and read (on here) that shorter cruises, especially to the Caribbean tend to be more casual.

Despite the dress-code breakers, from what I have observed, the great majority of passengers do observe the dress codes on Celebrity and this provides the ambiance we are looking for when we cruise.

I do not enjoy sitting next to someone who wears a ball cap and matching t shirt to dinner in the dining room, complimented by tennis shoes. IMO, it is tacky and disrespectful...it seems that people demonstrate good taste and appropriate dress without considering it to be painful.

JMO.

Mine too..

and I agree.. if you publish a code enforce it or change the code.

Despite the dress-code breakers, from what I have observed, the great majority of passengers do observe the dress codes on Celebrity and this provides the ambiance we are looking for when we cruise.

Code adherents were in a real minority on our recent 15 night Mercury cruise. Fewer than 20 % wore jackets on informal nights and only half of those wore ties as well..

There will be no more ties on my Christmas wish list :cool:

HAL has dropped their informals (according to posts) and I think X will soon drop all pretense of trying to be more elegant.

Open seating and no formal nights are just two more reasons to avoid Quest and Journey (along with outrageous prices). If this is the direction that X is taking then it is no longer my cruise line of choice and we will have to look elsewhere. I believe the core of X's repeat business are pax that enjoy the traditional dining experience along with formal and informal nights. If they do away with this then they have become a totally different cruise line.

No need to jump ship yet. This is something they are doing for the Xpedition Line and not the rest of X. They have acquired these ships and new policies to take a run at Oceania. Don't look for these to be the policies of the C and M class ships.

No need to jump ship yet. This is something they are doing for the Xpedition Line and not the rest of X. They have acquired these ships and new policies to take a run at Oceania. Don't look for these to be the policies of the C and M class ships.

Hi Rick !

I totally agree. I do not believe that Celebrity is going to radically change their Dining structure or Dress Codes... especially on the C-Class and M-Class ships for the forseeable future. As for the Solstice Class, I feel there may be Anytime Dining, but I sure hope it will be IN ADDITION to Traditional Dining. This way, everyone can have what makes them happy ! That would be the smart move for Celebrity.

As for Journey and Quest.... They are being designed as a totally different Cruise experience than Celebrity currently offers. We do not know for certain if it will be Country Club Casual (although I feel this may happen). What we do know, is that it will be Open Seating for Dinner, upgraded menus, and Butler Service. It all sounds very interesting, and I am booked on Quest :)

IMHO, I feel it is a good move for Celebrity moving into this type of Cruise experience. Many X passengers have been asking for a more upscale experience, with more exotic ports. This is exactly what Celebrity plans to deliver. I feel there will be a large demand for this type of Cruise. Time will tell.

Rick.... Happy and a Healthy New Year to You and Your Family !

Thanks for that info...we sail Bermuda on May 26th, so maybe it will be typical X style... I'll post when I hear back from my TA. With this being a holiday weekend, it may be a few days..

I see you guys are going on the celebrity journey in may. how exciting! Please let me know how it goes. My fiancee and I are booked on the journey in August for our Honeymoon! doesn't it sound fantastic? I'm so excited! :D

If one looks at the Blue Dream now the Celebrity Journey ( and before Celebrity dry docking it)

Main restaurant seating 360 pax

Italian Restaurant seating 92 pax

Grill restaurant seating 100 pax

Buffet seating seating 230 pax

Open seating and with no formal nights may make sense for a Xpedition class ship.

Ray

Hi Rick !

I totally agree. I do not believe that Celebrity is going to radically change their Dining structure or Dress Codes... especially on the C-Class and M-Class ships for the forseeable future. As for the Solstice Class, I feel there may be Anytime Dining, but I sure hope it will be IN ADDITION to Traditional Dining. This way, everyone can have what makes them happy ! That would be the smart move for Celebrity.

As for Journey and Quest.... They are being designed as a totally different Cruise experience than Celebrity currently offers. We do not know for certain if it will be Country Club Casual (although I feel this may happen). What we do know, is that it will be Open Seating for Dinner, upgraded menus, and Butler Service. It all sounds very interesting, and I am booked on Quest :)

IMHO, I feel it is a good move for Celebrity moving into this type of Cruise experience. Many X passengers have been asking for a more upscale experience, with more exotic ports. This is exactly what Celebrity plans to deliver. I feel there will be a large demand for this type of Cruise. Time will tell.

Rick.... Happy and a Healthy New Year to You and Your Family !

Hi Andy:

Has anyone found out if there is going to be a Butler and a Steward in each room or just the Butler. I know there was some speculation on this awhile back.

If one looks at the Blue Dream now the Celebrity Journey ( and before Celebrity dry docking it)

Main restaurant seating 360 pax

Italian Restaurant seating 92 pax

Grill restaurant seating 100 pax

Buffet seating seating 230 pax

Open seating and with no formal nights may make sense for a Xpedition class ship.

Ray

Princess which has three of the R-class ships does traditional seating and formal nights on them and that is the Anytime dining cruise line. So it can be done either way.

I expect that Celebrity will do open seating and Country Club Casual on their two R ships because they were scorned by Oceania and this Expedition subbrand appears to be payback. And with RCI's larger scale they can undercut and copy Oceania for a while and attempt to "eat" Oceania agian in the future or force them out of business. That is what Microsoft has done many times, if a smaller company with a good idea won't sell out to them, they copy the good idea and use their monopoly power to smash the smaller company.

Archived