How soon to book excursions?

dividedsky319

It depends on what the excursion is - if it's something with a limited capacity and only one departure time, expect it to sell out very quickly, perhaps before you even set foot on the ship.

If, however, there's no limited capacity symbol next to the excursion description, and a couple different departure times, it shouldn't be a problem to book it on the first day onboard, or closer to sail date.

OK, here's my two cents' worth::)

On our Panama Canal/Caribbean cruise, we booked our excursions on the ship, with the exception of the cabana and butler at Half Moon Cay. There was availability for all our choices. However, on our Alaska trip this past summer, I booked everything we really wanted to do well in advance of the cruise, due to the uniqueness and limited capacity of our choices (helicopter to dog-sled camp up on glacier, and sea plane for bear watch). It just depends on what you want to do, how badly you want to do it, where you're going, and when. Generally speaking, I would say that most ship's excursions are still available when you board the ship.

Another option, of course, is to do the research regarding independent tour operators, and choose an excursion not affiliated with the ship. However, the capacity for independent operators is usually even more limited, and therefore you would need to be prompt in making your reservations. Enjoy your cruise planning:)

Karin

There's two more excursions I'd like to book for our upcoming cruise in April, but I'd rather not spend the money right now to book them now... how far in advance do the excursions usually sell out? If I waited until late Feb will I still be OK?

Thanks!

if the excursion is critical to your cruise enjoyment...I would book it as soon as you have the $$$$. Have done the St. John excursion and it's fun but books up quickly. We've been on cruises where there was such a demand for a tour that the cruise line added excursions AFTER we were on board. So you never know! I would make certain I check with the excursion desk once on board if you haven't already booked your tours.

When are you going in April? and what ship? We too sail in April (7th) on the Zuiderdam. She's a wonderful ship...have been on her several times.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm with the others that suggest booking the champagne catamaran. It was a great excursion and the boat capacity is not that many persons. Of course I don't know how many different boats/captains they utilize, but I suspect they are able to adjust according to demand. I would just say this one is worth booking early. We had a beautiful day for a sail and wonderful snorkeling.

Hmm ok, maybe I should book soon then. If it's popular and sells out how come it isn't tagged "limited"?

Personally, my advice would be that if these excursions are things that you really, really want to do, I would go ahead and book them now ... just to be on the safe side. That said, however, I will also say that oftentimes even if something sells out before the cruise, often the shore excursion staff will add more capacity ... perhaps by adding another bus or another departure time ... so that people who do not have internet access get a chance to book some of these popular excursions as well.

But, still ... if my cruise would be dampened by missing out on one of these excursions, then I would play it safe and book it now.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I booked all of our excursions for our May 26th Alaskan cruise on Oosterdam, over a month ago. All excursions were already listed with options and pricing.

I am just relieved to know I am confirmed and tickets will be ready for us on check in.

Of course weather permitting on them...:rolleyes:

Cheers! :)

I booked all of our excursions for our May 26th Alaskan cruise on Oosterdam, over a month ago. All excursions were already listed with options and pricing.

I am just relieved to know I am confirmed and tickets will be ready for us on check in.

:)

I really think you are booking way before all or even most of the excursions are listed. My April cruise currently has excursions available for only 1 of 6 ports plus a transfer excursion for the ending port. It was the same way with our 2006 HAL cruise - most excursions were not available this early.

I really think you are booking way before all or even most of the excursions are listed. My April cruise currently has excursions available for only 1 of 6 ports plus a transfer excursion for the ending port. It was the same way with our 2006 HAL cruise - most excursions were not available this early.

Hmmm...okey dokey!

Funny how happy I am with the huge assortment they had listed with each port we are visiting, and I have been pre-paid since October for my 5/26/07 cruise.

Oh well, the ignorant are bliss I suppose! That will be me smiling as I board the float plane excursion, and the kyak excursion, the horse ride...etc.

When going to Alaska, you really do have to book in advance. The trips fill up very quickly because they are unique. Going over the glaciers in a helicopter and then dog sledding was one of the best adventures of my life and I would have hated to be closed out of that. However, I have found that Alaska is very weather related. We happened to cruise up and back and when we stopped in Juno on the way up we took the dog sledding trip. On the way back, it was raining ever so lightly in Juno and the trip was cancelled for that day. Of course, we were in Alaska during a heat wave and it was over 90 degrees everyday.We saw a lot of melting icecaps which wasn't so great.

In the Caribbean, if there is something you really want to do, book it as soon as you can so your trip will include all the things you want. For me, sitting on the beach with an umbrella over me and a book in my hand is all I want to do.

So, someone tell me, how long do you get to stay at the beach in St. John on the champagne cruise?

Hmmm...okey dokey!

Funny how happy I am with the huge assortment they had listed with each port we are visiting, and I have been pre-paid since October for my 5/26/07 cruise.

Oh well, the ignorant are bliss I suppose! That will be me smiling as I board the float plane excursion, and the kyak excursion, the horse ride...etc.

Strange. I can currently book excursions in only one of six ports, Dubrovnik, on our 4/1/07 cruise. There are shore excursions described for the other ports, but they aren't yet available for booking. On our late spring 2006 cruise one port was only available to book onboard and one or two others couldn't be booked till close to the cruise.

Strange. I can currently book excursions in only one of six ports, Dubrovnik, on our 4/1/07 cruise. There are shore excursions described for the other ports, but they aren't yet available for booking. On our late spring 2006 cruise one port was only available to book onboard and one or two others couldn't be booked till close to the cruise.

What ship are you on? We are booked on the HAL Oosterdam, and I simply clicked on the "booked guests" section, then scrolled down to a multitude of choices with pricing in each port. Was actually quite impressed with the selections.

They gave me a confirmation number, and my credit card was charged right away.

Good luck on your search.

Veendam transatlantic (Tampa to Venice). Last year, 2006, we were on a Fort lauderdale to Montreal cruise where excursions for some of the ports were available till close to the cruise.

The Veendam cruise right now just has Dubrovnik available. Ports for which excursions can't yet be booked are Ponta Delgada, Cadiz, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, and Rome. This is fairly common for cruises that aren't an ordinary itinerary, so we know they'll be available later.

• 3 weeks later...
Veendam transatlantic (Tampa to Venice). Last year, 2006, we were on a Fort lauderdale to Montreal cruise where excursions for some of the ports were available till close to the cruise.

The Veendam cruise right now just has Dubrovnik available. Ports for which excursions can't yet be booked are Ponta Delgada, Cadiz, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, and Rome. This is fairly common for cruises that aren't an ordinary itinerary, so we know they'll be available later.

Ahh....perhaps because we are doing the domestic cruise there are more excursions earlier?

Wish you luck with your upcoming cruise...sounds fabulous!! :)

Cheers! :)_

Archived