Carnival and smoked salmon

Vectorboy

I cannot recall seeing smoked salmon on the buffet but we only eat breakfast in the buffet on port days when we need an early start. In the restaurant it is offered every morning with a bagel. The bagel is certainly edible but it is of the frozen food section variety.

Grav Lox is also on offer as an appetizer in the dinning room for dinner on some evenings.

Interesting to note the differences between cruise lines that are all owned by the same 'parent' co.

RCI has it every day at the breakfast buffet.

Celebrity has it every second day at the buffet, alternating with pickled herring (yuck).

Guess I'll be breakfasting in the dining room!

Grav Lox is also on offer as an appetizer in the dinning room for dinner on some evenings.

Gravlaks (as Carnival called it) is cold cured, not smoked. Nonetheless, it disappeared from Carnival sometime PRIOR to July 2006 :( . We have had 6 cruises since then, and I have confirmed with the Maitre d's that it is no longer available. I USED to order 2-3 servings of it on the nights it was offered. Absolutely delicious...

Kind of OFF TOPIC, but:

I was happy to see that they gave the "new" Georges Blanc escargot appetizer the heave ho, in favor of the NOW RETURNED Escargot Bourguignonne - I had 3 servings on Friday ( 2 nights ago)... :D

Tom

UNFORTUNATELY - this disappeared from Carnival sometime PRIOR to July 2006. We have had 6 cruises since then, and I have confirmed with the Maitre d's that it is no longer available. I USED to order 2-3 servings of it on the nights it was offered. Absolutely delicious.... :(

Thanks for the update Tom. I am despairing now but better here at home than during our cruise.;)

I was happy to see that they gave the "new" Georges Blanc escargot appetizer the heave ho, in favor of the NOW RETURNED Escargot Bourguignonne - I had 3 servings on Friday ( 2 nights ago)... :D

Tom

Great.....I get to enjoy the snails without interuption. :cool:

You can get smoked salmon on a bagel, with cream cheese, and capers in the deli:) Had one on our Fantasy cruise and it was yummy. Didn't realize the Gravlox was gone, that was also really a good appetizer.

Did think HAL's breakfast buffet was better than Carinval's, they also had avocado for lunch in the buffet, stuffed with shrimp or crabmeat about every other day.

The salmon on the room sevice and dining room breakfast menu is nice thin slices of what I would call lox. I had it almost every day :D . You get a whole plate full--way more than you would normally get for the average bagel--garnished with capers and tomato slices. While I will agree that the bagels were nothing special....they did the job. Add juice, coffee and a yogurt enjoyed on the balcony and they got no complaints from me.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

Every morning, smoked salmon on the balcony from room service. Didn't have to fix it, didn't have to clean the dishes.

Oh Lord do I need a Cruise.:eek:

Ahhhhhhh......someone after my own heart!!! I cannot wait until the morning of February 26th.....sorry, daydreaming here! ;)

Gravlaks (as Carnival called it) is cold cured, not smoked. Nonetheless, it disappeared from Carnival sometime PRIOR to July 2006 :( . We have had 6 cruises since then, and I have confirmed with the Maitre d's that it is no longer available. I USED to order 2-3 servings of it on the nights it was offered. Absolutely delicious...

Kind of OFF TOPIC, but:

I'm bk on Holiday, and look fwd to good ole reglar snails..hooray! tks for the heads up..6 wks n countin til escargot nite..yum yum yum..I order cream n omlett..

Tom

..read above msg re: snails

..read above msg re: snails

I see in your quote of my post that the last entry (regarding the Holiday) is not part of my post - this happens from time to time with some types of replies.

I assume that it was part of your comment?

Enjoy your upcoming Holiday cruise!

Tom

Archived