Travel The World with Bill & Mary Ann HAL's Grand World Voyage 2007

WCB

Report # 85 4-27-07 Friday New York, New York USA

Well, here we are in our last port of New York City in the good ol' USA!! The sail into the harbor was very early, around 6 am. We were prepared to wake up on time to get some pictures from our balcony. And it was a good thing that we did, since later on, it was so hazy, the photos were not good. And having our room on the port side worked well for us today, since we got to see Liberty Island, and the most revered monument in the USA - the Statue of Liberty. Just beyond her was Ellis Island, where 12 million immigrants landed between 1892 and 1924. If the sight of these icons don't stir the feeling of national pride, then nothing will!

Today was going to be a different one for all of us in regards to getting off of the ship. About 270 passengers were leaving for home, while 300 newbies were due to join us. We understand that a re-positioning cruise from New York and Ft Lauderdale will take the Amsterdam back to the west coast via the Panama Canal. She will head north to Seattle to start the Alaska season.

The game plan this morning was for all of the homebound passengers to go through Immigration inspection in the terminal building, proceed through Customs, and then be dispersed. The next group called was the non-US citizens, who went through Immigrations, then they were free to explore New York City. If they chose not to go into town, they had to wait until the entire ship was cleared. From 10am on, each deck of passengers were to be called to go through Immigrations. We never heard decks called, so we got our stuff (only a handbag and camera equipment allowed), and left the ship by 11am. For some unknown reason, the officials let all of us go into town without going through the check. Why? We never found out. Anyway, all of the people that had to wait to re-board the ship (numbers in the 100's) were not happy campers, having had to wait for over an hour to get back onboard. The impact of all of this was a short day in the city. Oh well, that's the way the cookies crumbles!

We were here in NYC four years ago, spending three days after a Canada/New England cruise. At that time, we saw the Broadway show, 42nd Street, and rode the hop-on, hop-off bus the second day. We saw the major sites of the city including Central Park, Rockefeller Plaza, Times Square, Grand Central Station, St Patrick's Cathedral, the Empire State Building, the Stock Exchange on Wall Street, and Battery Park with the ferry terminal nearby. But the most sobering sight that will forever be implanted in our memories, was Ground Zero, where the twin Towers of the World Trade Center were deliberately and tragically toppled on September 11, 2001.

When we sailed in this morning, the skies were barely cloudy. But that soon deteriorated, and it looked like the forecast of rain was correct. And it was cold, really cold in the 50's. So today, we had hoped to walk to Central Park, then make our way down to Times Square, and finally have lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. But after walking two blocks up 50th St across from the cruise terminal, it started to rain heavily. It poured so much that some of the streets were flooded. The only good thing about this was that fewer New Yorkers were strolling the streets. We didn't mind the rain, since that never stops us from walking at home. We just take umbrellas and go.

Hoping that the rain would let up, we headed up 7th Avenue towards the NY Hilton Hotel and Central Park. Unfortunately, we had to cancel the park, and headed back down to Times Square for lunch. We made our way to the Hard Rock Cafe on Broadway Street, right near Times Square. This area is the "soul of Manhattan"! Theaters, stores, malls, and restaurants abound here. Neon billboards were advertising TV programs, shows, and store sales. It was so much more exciting being here in the middle of it as it is seeing it on TV.

When we entered the Hard Rock Cafe, we went downstairs to reach the restaurant. At least 100 high school kids were being assembled at the bottom of the stairs for a group photo. Oh boy, we hope we get a table before they let them loose! And we did. The place was full, and it wasn't even noon yet. We ordered their haystack chicken salad with Pepsi's, and they were delicious! The loud and up-to-date music was neat for a change too.

By the time we squeezed our way out of the cafe's store, the rain had stopped. We walked quickly just to stay warm, snapping pictures all the way back. When we got back to the ship, we noticed many new, unfamiliar faces.......the newbies! Most of the newcomers were exploring the ship, just as we had 102 days ago. Boy, the time went fast!

A wine and cheese sailaway party was advertised on deck three at 4:45pm. Wonder if this will turn into the madhouse we had when leaving New Caledonia? We did notice the key word "complimentary" wine was missing from the daily program. And guess what? Yep, the cheese and bread was offered, but NO free wine! And needless to say, the party fizzled quickly, but not for us. We still had our second bottle of champagne, thanks to our buddy Hank. So we toasted our departure from the New York harbor, while listening to the port lecturer, Barbara, give her final sailaway commentary. It was too bad that the hazy conditions made it difficult to see much. We cannot complain though, because this was the only port that we had bad weather.

The Amsterdam left the pier before 5pm. Buddy and Lynn had told us that it cost HAL $100,000 to dock in NYC from 7am to 5pm. If we had overstayed our allowed time, it would have cost an added $100,000. Maybe that's why we left a bit early!

We now have two days to travel 950 nautical miles to reach Ft Lauderdale. We surely hope that the pea soup fog, which descended upon us all night, will disappear by tomorrow. The foghorn blowing through the night was too eerie!

Bill & Mary Ann

Our daughter was nice enough to drive me to a nice viewing spot on the NJ side of the Hudson River, so I could get a glance at the Amsterdam, yesterday. Too bad the weather was so awful! It did get better later in the afternoon, though. I've enjoyed reading your posts and traveling along with you. Thank you so much. We're looking forward to boarding the Amsterdam, in Seattle, in September.:)

Many, many thanks Bill and Mary Ann. Our aunt and uncle were on your ship (Marie and John) and your travel log has enabled us to follow their progress over these past 102 days. Thank for the wonderful reports.

Best wishes for a safe journey home.

Kathy

I really enjoyed reading about your adventures! I hope my Wife and I can take a cruise like this one someday. I cant imagine what your tip$ must have been after 100 plus days on board. I cant stand to see my bill after a 7 day I cant imagine what it would look like after a 100 day cruise. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

I have enjoyed reading and travelling along this journey, but I have a question, when does it end. I thought the cruise of April 27 starting in New York and then onto Fort Lauderdale where we will be boarding, was a new cruise. I don't understand WCB's latest report. 270 got off and 300 got on, when do the rest get off? I won't be around to read the answer until May 21, but I am sure I will find out on the Apr. 30. Thanks for the wonderful reports.

I really enjoyed reading about your adventures! I hope my Wife and I can take a cruise like this one someday. I cant imagine what your tip$ must have been after 100 plus days on board. I cant stand to see my bill after a 7 day I cant imagine what it would look like after a 100 day cruise. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

The pre-paid gratuities for the full World Voyage were part of the early booking amenity package that Holland America offered.

We were booked and under deposit for this 102 day World Cruise.

We had to cancel because my husband was diagnosed with cancer in May of last year.

Bill and Mary Anne, I have followed your voyage, itinerary at my side, and enjoyed it immensely. It was often "bitter sweet" reading, but I want you to know how much it meant to me. Your vivid descriptions made me feel that I was there with you at times.

We had rebooked a 28 day cruise on the Prinsendam for May 29, 2007, but just had to cancel that as well, as he had a reccurence, and my dear husband and best friend is presently undergoing treatments again through June.

Bill and May Anne, our Wrld Cruise has come to an end, as we would have debarked in New York.

Thank you again for taking me along on your wonderful adventure.

Ginnie

The pre-paid gratuities for the full World Voyage were part of the early booking amenity package that Holland America offered.

We were booked and under deposit for this 102 day World Cruise.

We had to cancel because my husband was diagnosed with cancer in May of last year.

Bill and Mary Anne, I have followed your voyage, itinerary at my side, and enjoyed it immensely. It was often "bitter sweet" reading, but I want you to know how much it meant to me. Your vivid descriptions made me feel that I was there with you at times.

We had rebooked a 28 day cruise on the Prinsendam for May 29, 2007, but just had to cancel that as well, as he had a reccurence, and my dear husband and best friend is presently undergoing treatments again through June.

Bill and May Anne, our Wrld Cruise has come to an end, as we would have debarked in New York.

Thank you again for taking me along on your wonderful adventure.

Ginnie

Ginnie, I'm sorry to hear that DH has had a setback and your cruise will once again be postponed. Here's hoping that you will be able to book again soon and make the sailing.

I have enjoyed reading and travelling along this journey, but I have a question, when does it end. I thought the cruise of April 27 starting in New York and then onto Fort Lauderdale where we will be boarding, was a new cruise. I don't understand WCB's latest report. 270 got off and 300 got on, when do the rest get off? I won't be around to read the answer until May 21, but I am sure I will find out on the Apr. 30. Thanks for the wonderful reports.
The segment from NY to FLL is sort of an extension of the world cruise and you can specify either one as your destination when you book. There are often a lot of personnel changes after the first US port, so it really is a "different" cruise. For the repositioning cruise that follows, you could book either the NY departure or FLL departure. You might say that the World cruise and the repo cruise "overlap" on that segment.

For accounting purposes, your bill is settled at the end of each segment... about every three weeks or so. If you book early enough the gratuities are prepaid. If you book later, they will show up on your bill and will be about $200-$250 per person by the time you have to pay and start a new tab.

Report # 86 4-28-07 Saturday Day at Sea

Last night, we received dozens of colored tags for disembarkation, with brown # 5 on them, for identification in Ft Lauderdale's terminal. Also included with the tags was the customs form that we will turn over to the officials when we gather our 16 bags. Tomorrow, we will have everything packed and out in the hall for pickup, hopefully in the afternoon.. Oh, we are getting "cruise withdrawals" now!!

We still walked this morning, despite the fact that the Dam Dollar program has ended for the world cruise. Ha, we sure won't have any dollar handout when we walk the trails at home! Our reward there will be lunch!

The sun has come out finally, as we sail south towards Florida. The wind is strong, though, and the seas are choppy. But the kiddie area on deck nine was still sheltered and actually very warm. And the good music is playing, now that the Busby girls are no longer in school in the room below. For some reason, the pools have remained empty for the last three days. How rude!

By the way, we filled out the ship's surveys yesterday. In most every area, we gave the highest number nine, which was deserved. We felt that the music in the lounges was sorely outdated, the entertainment, according to our fellow passengers, was below par. Overall, the food was good, as was the service. But we'll address this in more detail later on.

Shipboard life continues with activities all day. Mike Millwood gave a lecture on the early settlers of the east coast that we are passing. Mac Frampton entertained with his piano concert this evening.

We had our last of our prepaid dinners in the Pinnacle Grill. We would rate the beef here as excellent. Their rib eye steaks melted in our mouths. We never tire of the sides of basmati rice, creamy baked potato with toppings, and seasoned grilled mushrooms. We had cinnamon caramel chocolate ice cream, and the special of the night, a trio of chocolate mousse cake. Yummy!

Mary Ann & Bill

Hi Debbie and Clay,

We just discovered the chocolate croissants a few weeks ago. We resisted the morning pastries until recently! We did the Circle South America on the Mariner in 2003. You will love the cruise!

Valerie, Jennie, Skye23, PrincessYoga, DeltaBC, and Love Cruises,

Thank you all so much for your encouraging compliments! We enjoyed sharing this trip with you all!

cruiser carol,

As for our favorite segment? That is so hard since Bill liked the South Pacific, while I loved Indonesia and the Orient.

ger77,

We did have 16 bags piled on the eight foot leather couch, along the wall at the end of the bed, and hanging on the wall hooks. These verandah suites are large enough to accomodate that many. We could have used the balcony as well, but the rain in NYC stopped us!

Bill & Mary Ann

Welcome to Florida for your very brief stay. We hope you have a smooth flight home. We've enjoyed riding with you om your travels. This thread is solidly in 2nd place on the list of most viewed HAL threads and eighth on the "most posts" list. By the time it finally sinks to the bottom, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in second place. You've entertained and enlightened us. Good job.

Grumpy has it right. You have enlightened and entertained us in a most remarkable way. Reading your posts has been a wonderful pleasure.

Thank you.

Safe journey home and the very best to you both.

It has been an absolute joy to follow along on your cruise. Thank you so much for your wonderful reports.

Wishing you a safe journey to your home and lots of rest before you tackle unpacking.

All the best

Kathy

Thank you all for your kind words. We have landed in Ft Lauderdale, actually last night. And now we are waiting to be cleared by customs. We are running late, not a surprise. Many people are being called to the customs desk to declare overages, so we have to wait.

Will do a follow-up when we get home!

Adios,

Bill & Mary Ann

Welcome home Bill and Mary Ann. I think all of us who have been following this thread for the past months will be suffering cruise withdrawal along with you. I hope your flight home isn't too awful.

Bill and Mary Ann,

DW and I have so much enjoyed your 86 reports, as you have circled the globe. If we are ever on the same cruise, the drinks are on us. ( At least for the first week!)

Thank you so much for sharing your marvelous cruise with all of us. You have sacrificed a lot of precious cruise time give us so much pleasure. You have carefully written a treasure for the world to enjoy.

Now we are especially looking forward to our cruise on the ms Amsterdam this fall.

Barbara