?? For those who have cruised since the new dining times were put in place????

sail7seas

How did you think it worked out?

We had 8:00 on upper level where we always sit. We thought it worked very well. We were at our usual table (greatly appreciate that was accomplished for us); the stewards did not seem as harried; we were served our courses at a pleasant pace and think this is working out okay. I was skeptical at first.

(So long as most folks can get their preference of time. Early dinner is great if that is what you enjoy. Late dinner is great if that is what someone else enjoys. )

I really did not mind it that much, the down fall for us was the Baked Alaska Pararde. We like Early Lower seating at 6:15 and unfortuately they do the Baked Alaska Parade right before and during your Main Entree. I am sure it is the same for the last lower seating.

I had the 8:30 pm seating on the Rotterdam. I didn't care for it at all. I usually eat at the 8:15 pm seating, I didn't think 15 minutes would make that much of a difference, but it did. For my upcoming Volendam cruise, we chose the 6:15 pm seating.

:)

We had the 5:45 dinner time. Our waiter and his assistant were great. There were times when they did seem a little rushed.

Overall, these new times are SUPPOSED to be relieving the conjestion in the kitchen. Most people like the new dining times.

But we did hear a lot of complaints about people taking nearly 2 hours to get their meals on the 8:30 lower level. They said that they couldn't make it to the 10:30 show.

Hope HAL is working out all these bugs.

I had the 8:00 on the Rotterdam. We sat next to the railing and the banging of the silverware and plates from below was too loud when they were setting the tables for the 8:30 group.:mad:

I preferred when the strings played in the dinning room instead of the "player pianio" We only had the strings on formal nights. (I can't rememeber if it was all 3 nights or not.) Was this because of the 4 dining times? I don't really know.

I liked the 8:00 time but I am not crazy about the 4 different times. I think it was better when everyone entered the dining room at the same time.

A lot of 8:30 pax that we met, complained about not being able to make the show.

KK, we had no problems, our waiter, assistant waiter and wine steward were excellent, nothing was ever a problem, they were wonderful. Food that was to be hot was served hot, foods that were meant to be cold were served cold, excellent. It was just a bit too late for me, I was starved by the time I got to the dining room. On the Zuiderdam we have 8 pm dinner and on the Volendam we chose the 6:15 pm seating, I'll have to see which one I prefer.

They had the new times on our Veendam cruise last March and we didn't really care for it. I think it was probably one of the first few weeks they were doing it and everything seemed a bit ackward so maybe it's working out better by now. We had the late late seating (8:30) and it really is surprising how much later that 15 minutes seemed! They didn't give us a choice as to which one since when we booked it was just early or late. It seemed we had to rush a little thru dessert to get to the show on time. The shows and activities they tried to schedule between shows had lots of people coming in after they started and others having to leave before they were over. The Rockin' Oldies show was only held once and was entirely during our meal. They had the Baked Alaska parade about the time we got our entrees. For our Westerdam cruise next Jan we got to pick the time so took the 8:00 so I'm hoping that works out better for us.

In the "old days", early seating was too early and late was too late. For this reason, I am thrilled with the new staggered times. 7:45 on the Oosterdam was perfect.

I wonder if the ships are on different schedules. There was no 7:45 seating on Maasdam.

The dining times on Maasdam are 5:45 (for upper level of the dining room) , then 6:15. for lower level. We sat at 8:00 for upper level and there was an 8:30 for lower level.

We found 8:00 to be just fine for us.

Just returned from the Statendam. 14 days in Alaska. We had the 8:00 pm sitting. It was the same as the old 8:15 pm sitting except the waiters were assigned more passengers to serve. This left no time to chat with the waiter or assistant waiter. We missed the inter action between passengers and servers and while talking to a few of the staff while on shore they stated they missed the chat time with the passengers too. Take care.

In February on the Veendam, the seatings were 7:45pm & 8:15, but I believe that all ships are now on the 8:00 & 8:30pm schedule.

I wonder when Hammybee was on the Oosterdam - could be that it was back in Feb. or March or before all ships went to the new schedule. The new times were being tried out on 2 ships - the Veendam and one other, which could have been the Oosterdam.

On the Zaandam we had the 8pm seating and really loved it. Perfect time for us to have a cocktail in the OB then on to dinner. I never heard any noise from setting up downstairs, they were mostly finished when we got there. The only thing that was a bit of a bother, pax for the 8.30pm seating insisted on entering the DR from upstairs when they had been requested to use the downstairs entryway and they usually tried to get in about 8.15pm. They were asked to leave and go downstairs most nights.....jean

We have just returned from the Ryndam and had mixed feelings about the new dinner times. We loved our first week at a table for 2 at 5:45, our waiters Jaye and Lucky were fantastic. The second week there was no availability in the early sittings so we requested 8:00, and had a table of 8. While we enjoyed the company, it was often 10:15 before we left the dining room and we had Much slower service at the bigger table. Neither the waiter or his assistant asked my name, nor did they introduce themselves, but they did keep my ice tea full and were very accommodating. The dining times on the Ryndam were 5:45, 6:15, 8:00 and 8:30.

Overall, I think it is the best they can do with the reduced staff and it generally worked very well. One thing I would like to see though is additional evening hours in the lido, which generally served from only 6 to 7:30, it would be nice if they remained open another hour.

We had the 8:00 seating durig the first week of July. In general, we liked the time especially on port days. We did noticed that the servers did not have much time to talk with us. The meal through the main course was served very promptly, but we noticed that is usually took a bit to get dessert - sometime 40 minutes. We thought it was because our servers were going to get dessert around the same time that the 8:30 seating was getting their main course and that there was probably some kitechn congestion. Luckily, we had great table mates to chat with, so we did not mind the wait.

I agree with locallady as I would also like to see longer hours for either the lido or the grill.

We had the last (8:30) main floor seating time. I was very worried we would have problems getting to the shows in time, but that turned out to be no problem. Our meals were delivered in a timely manner and we were generally on our way out of the dining room by 10:00. We had no problems getting excellent seats to the shows.

PlutO, we also noticed the slowness in getting desserts so after the first night we left after the main course. Usually went along to the Explorers Lounge, had an after dinner drink and some of the delicious chocolates instead of dessert.....jean

Just for the record, the Prinsendam, which does not have an upper and lower dining room, still maintains the 'old' dining times.

IMO of the 4 different dining times, the 'majority' of passengers prefer either the 6.15pm sitting or the 8.0pm sitting. My latest 34day Rotterdam cruise proved this to be the case.

There were a number of fairly large groups on this sailing, and, as is the normal case, must have had their reservations well in advance of sailing. Consequently these passengers must have/were given dining time preferences. The balance of the passengers were assigned dining times from what was left.

There were a lot of unhappy cruisers who were assigned the 5.45pm and especially the 8.30pm sittings. The maitre d' had, literally, pages of people requesting changes to the 6.15pm and 8.0pm sittings, including ours from the late late sitting.

I noticed that quite a number of people assigned to the 5.45pm sitting would arrive late in the dining room. The warning that 'guests arriving more than 15mins late would not be seated' didn't appear to be enforced.

As mentioned above, the cherries jubilee and farewell 'parades' were geared to the 5.45pm and 8.0pm sittings. We, on the 8.30pm sitting were still eating our appetizers when the 'festivities' began.

The only night that we were (somewhat) rushed from dinner was when the 'large/final' bingo game was scheduled - people wanted to purcase their cards for the 10.15pm game.

I would suggest those pasengers able to get places on the 6.15pm and 8.0pm sittings will be content with the new dining times. Most of the balance of the passengers will be unhappy and might be tempted to use the Lido for dinner.

All 3 times we cruised Alaska on the Ryndam, the dining times were earlier than when she was in the Caribbean. Everyone at that time who wanted early dinner ate at 5:45.

It could be that the reason some people are reporting dining times begining at 5:45 is because they are on or have been on Alaskan cruises. Some ships in Alaska begin their dinner times at 5:45. But now with the new dining times, 5:45 is the first dining time for upper level.

I just returned from Zuiderdam last night. We had 5:45, 6:15, 7:45 and 8;15 seatings. We did the 6:15, lower dining room. Someone earlier said that they did the Baked Alaska circle round for the 5:45 diners, which put it in the middle of our salad/entree, time-wise. It was okay. Everyone stopped eating, the lights went down and we all clapped during the parade.

I felt, however, that having 4 staggered times for dining worked out okay, but the trade-off was that I didn't feel the same "intimacy" of a dining experience as when there were only 2 sitting times. The service was fine, we never had to wait too long for any dish, but the waiter was very busy and never took the time to ask us our names, how our day was, etc. And we didn't get to know him either. I had to wait for a wine steward most nights, but when he came he was polite and brought my wine quickly once I ordered. But, I miss being able to walk into the dining room towards our table and have our "crew" see us and position themselves at our table and greet us, pull out our chairs, etc. It was a bit sad not having this on the Zuiderdam.

Jean (elmorejj),

Great idea. We found that we did not have nearly enough time to enjoy all of the nice lounges on board. We did not think of that as I made the mistake of looking at the desserts each evening as I was entering the dining room and usually had one picked out even before chosing an entree. I will remember that idea for the next time :)

Mary

I just returned from Zuiderdam last night. We had 5:45, 6:15, 7:45 and 8;15 seatings.

I felt, however, that having 4 staggered times for dining worked out okay, but the trade-off was that I didn't feel the same "intimacy" of a dining experience as when there were only 2 sitting times. The service was fine, we never had to wait too long for any dish, but the waiter was very busy and never took the time to ask us our names, how our day was, etc. It was a bit sad not having this on the Zuiderdam.

I really don't think the lack of 'intimacy' you experienced has a thing to do with the staggered times, but is because of the reduction in # of stewards and the size of the Vista ships' dining rooms. Staggered times should give the stewards a little more time to socialize rather than less, as the kitchen is functioning faster.

The stewards on the Vista ships, and to some extent on all the HAL ships now, are just being given too many tables to handle. Our Maasdam dining officers said it is much worse on the larger Vista ships and none of the dining stewards want to be assigned to them. We had wonderful service and interaction with our stewards and officers in the Maasdam dining room; on the Oosterdam the poor stewards were terribly overworked and the head waiters were having to do a lot of the stewards duties for them. :eek:

Archived