FLL to Miami Port

I am considering flying into FLL next April instead of Miami airport for my cruise that departs from Miami. Does anyone know if taxis will take you that far? If so what is the approx rate? I would prefer to not take the shuttles provided by the cruise line.

Thanks for any info!

Teresa

We are doing the same thing next month. Folks here say that a cab costs $80. I looked on Expedia today and realized that a rental car (one way) is only $40. We are coming in a day early. I figure we can droip our stuff off at the port, then take the car back to the airport. Anyone know how much a taxi from FLL airport to the port costs?

Cras108er

I think you can actually drop your rental car off in downtown Miami and they will shuttle you to the port. You don't have to go all the way to the airport. We did that a few years ago--I forgot which rental car company we used--and then we had a long day in Miami so we rented a car after the cruise too. They shuttled us from the port to the rental car office downtown and we drove to South Beach and Key Biscane. I want to say it was National but I could be wrong--it was a few years ago.

There are a number of threads on this subject. The taxi is about $80 to $90. I've actually done it before with a different company that gave us a lift after dropping the car at a hotel car rental location. You can rent a car for about $40 to $50. In fact, I just looked online and found the discount code for Costco and rented from Alamo. $42 with the taxes. Most Florida large rental companys don't charge extra for one-way rental. (Note: Priceline rentals are never one-way!)

We are arriving a day early, so that will get us to our hotel, out for the evening and to the port the next day. We were told that Alamo will drop you at the port (though we never make such assumptions). We will likely drive to the port and drop off luggage and one party while I go to return the car and get a lift back. If I can't get the lift, I can just grab a cab. With no luggage and just one person, it should be quick and painless.

At the FLL Airport, there is a shared ride, which is in a van, that will take you to Miami locations, including the port of Miami. The cost is $18. pp. Info is at http://www.floridalimo.com and you can find them outside baggage claim, to the right. Their shirts are white and say Airport Express in red letters on their backs. Doesn't take much time to fill the van, and they only wait about 10 min. for others looking to go. Could only be you that is going if no one else shows up soon. Take Note, they will not pick up from the Port of Miami to return to FLL Airport though.

You can rent a car at FLL and drop off at MIA, and take the rental agency's shuttle to the ship (for free). We've done that 4 times, as we went to Florida a few days early. But if you do rent a car, be sure to verify there is not a fee for dropping off at a different place than you rented. Some charge, some don't. I can't remember who we used.

Alamo is the only car rental company with an actual choice of "Port of Miami" as a drop off point. The drop off isn't in the port at all, but at the Miami airport and they will shuttle you to the port.

As a travel agent, I've called every other rental company in Miami and asked about a shuttle to the port, Alamo was the only one who said they had it. When you rent, you need to specify "Port of Miami" as the drop off - drop it at the airport and they'll shuttle you.

I just contacted them, we have six paople going in april, they have given me a quote of about $100 for a limo, but a van with all of our luggage for $120 would be more comfortable. Sounds better than getting two taxi's for the six of us.

I highly recommend Larry's Limo. Used them in December and they were professional and on-time (to and from the port).

Alamo is the only car rental company with an actual choice of "Port of Miami" as a drop off point. The drop off isn't in the port at all, but at the Miami airport and they will shuttle you to the port.

As a travel agent, I've called every other rental company in Miami and asked about a shuttle to the port, Alamo was the only one who said they had it. When you rent, you need to specify "Port of Miami" as the drop off - drop it at the airport and they'll shuttle you.

I used Enterprise. They have a downtown Miami office with a free shuttle to the port (1/2 mile away) Paid about $35 one way rental. Used coming and going.

We use Enterprise from FLL, works great. We drop luggage at dock return the car to their drop off center 5 minutes to the doc.

We've also rented in Orlando and dropped the car in Cape Canaveral.

Izzy

Thanks for the idea! We have Budget lined up for our car (they partner with SW air) - we are flying into W coast, staying at a condo & then we planned to return the car at Ft laud airport & take shuttle express to the ship.-will have to look into whether or not Budget has a closer drop off point with shuttle to the pier. We decided that FT Laud is so much easier & less costly so this will be our last cruise from Miami!

Thanks for the idea! We have Budget lined up for our car (they partner with SW air) - we are flying into W coast, staying at a condo & then we planned to return the car at Ft laud airport & take shuttle express to the ship.-will have to look into whether or not Budget has a closer drop off point with shuttle to the pier. We decided that FT Laud is so much easier & less costly so this will be our last cruise from Miami!

Even if you can not get Budget to do the one way and have to go with Enterprise or Alamo the money you save over the shuttle will more than make up for the difference in the discounted Budget rate. And like I said I got the car for $35 a day for a mid size car (Taurus size), incuding ALL taxes and Fees, And Alamo was basically the same price, how much cheaper could Budget be than that?

Also Cruising out of Miami is no more costly than out of FLL if you rent the car one way and stay in a FLL area hotel the night before. It is only about 30 minute drive away.

:) Went on 9 night Xmas cruise this year. Party of 5 took Larrys Limo from FLL to port and return trip from the MIA port to a hotel in FLL.

Around $210 round trip with tip. Well worth it to start off the trip in style. I never had to lift one of our nine suitcases.

My cell phone rang before I even got to the baggae claim area telling me that my driver was waiting outside. On the return, again my cell rang at 9:00 telling me to call the drive to come out front when I entered customs.

Very professional and I arranged it as a suprise for my wife and kids!

Were doing this in march, besides alamo i found thrifty and dollar to both have port of miami as rental sites, on thrifty.com the code is "PM4", on dollar.com type in "port" and miami cruise ship dropoff comes up. If you just type in mia (airport code) they dont come up. We found thrifty to be the cheapest, our cruise is over spring break alamo was $68 before taxes and thrifty was $42 for the cheapest cars

If you do rent a car my best suggestion is to book as early as possible. The same car can cost four times as much the month of travel as it would have been six months prior.

Oh and PS has anyone ever figured out how to warp time so my cruise (in 449 days) won't seem so incredibly far away? :eek:

I have contacted all of the rental car companies discussed in this thread and they all say that they no longer offer a shuttle to the port. And online, all of the sites say that their port locations are "pick up only" and won't quote a price. Have they recently changed the policy or are they just trying to discourage? For example, Enterprise said they stopped offering a shuttle in July (of course, if they are picking up at the port, they have to drive back to the port) - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I have contacted all of the rental car companies discussed in this thread and they all say that they no longer offer a shuttle to the port. And online, all of the sites say that their port locations are "pick up only" and won't quote a price. Have they recently changed the policy or are they just trying to discourage? For example, Enterprise said they stopped offering a shuttle in July (of course, if they are picking up at the port, they have to drive back to the port) - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Archived