Zuiderdam J and K Inside Cabins

spcl4cs_gal

Has anyone stayed in either of these two classes in the past? I'm interested in the K aft cabins on the Main Deck and the J cabins, forward on the Main Deck and aft on the Navigation Deck. When the HAL site states that these are "large" cabins what can I expect? Thanks.

Hi Alison, I am on a guaratee for my upcoming cruise and I believe it is for a category K...I will be glad to post any information upon my return:)

saving money? LOL You are talking to numero uno when it comes to that LOL...

Sailing solo, I go for the least expensive......now, If I could ever hit that Florida Lottery!

I put my teens in a K on the Zuiderdam. It was functional, but pretty small. If you are the type to spend much time in the cabin, do something else. If you are only there to sleep and dress, it will fill the bill. It has two beds with a nightstand in-between. There was a small desk with a single chair, closets and a bathroom.

Hi:) yes, that sounds like a typical inside cabin.......I sail solo, so it is just for me....and yes, that is all I do in my cabin, sleep, shower and change clothes.

Have had an inside twice on Celebrity...it was about 172 sqaure feet...I am guessing a HAL inside is about the same size.

Hmmm sounds like a K cabin might be out and a J cabin might be in. I travel solo as well and spend more time out of the room than in so I guess either would do. What about a C, D or DD outside cabin on the Main Deck...are they any different apart from having a window?

I haven't stayed in them, but you might want to be careful of the guarantee. The K rooms on the upper verandah deck are only about 140 square feet. If the ones on the main deck are larger, you may want to change the guarantee to a specific room.

We just returned from the Zuiderdam yesterday. We had a J cabin (room 8118) on the Navigation deck. It was a VERY small cabin. I think maybe for 1 person it would be ok, but for 2 people we were walking all over each other. We were just below the Lido and I like the location for the convenience, but I could hear the band through the floor. I'll try and post a review in a few days, as soon as I rest from my vacation. If anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them.

OK, here's the story.

The J and K cabins on Main Deck are "large". About 180 square feet. They have a small sofa. For photos see here (cabin in the photos is Cat. J, 1015).

J and K cabins on the upper decks are considered "standard". They are extremely small by the standards of today's ships, maybe 130 to 140 sq ft max. I would not recommend one of these cabins.

If you are going with a J or K inside, I would definitely choose a specific cabin on the Main Deck.

The Cat. I cabins look a bit larger than any of these. I saw at least four different layouts of inside cabins (yes FOUR) on ZUIDERDAM so I can't guarantee anything, unless of course you take Cabin 1015 in which case you can see exactly what it's like ;) . However as a rule of thumb I'd book either a J or K on Main Deck or an I, and nothing else.

As for the standard outsides; they are slightly larger and a different shape than the Main Deck "large" insides but have a (very small) tub. If you don't need an outside cabin I'd save the money and stick with a "large" inside..

I managed to get your link working afterall. :) Question...in the Main Deck J cabins, does the bunk fold up or is it down all the time? As long as the K cabins on the aft Main are the same size as the Js then I guess it really doesn't matter. :)

DANG!

We are booked on the other side of the hall in the same J cabin you had. Navigation deck, right under the Lido. How late did the band play at night?

How bouncy was the back of the ship?

Saw a photo of our cabin "category" and the photo showed a small sofa. Im bummed now.... Our child is booked with his grandma and grandpa. Was hoping he could crash in our cabin on a small sofa one or two nights.

Sounds like we have a BAD cabin assignment.

Kelly

I tried to get your link loaded but it keeps on sending back a message that says it can't load.
Sorry, that was indeed a dead link. I typed the code incorrectly. Should work now.

Question...in the Main Deck J cabins, does the bunk fold up or is it down all the time?
It folds up. Your cabin may or may not have this extra berth; if you look on the deck plan you can see if it has the appropriate symbols next to the cabin number.

The upper berth is present in cabins with third and fourth berths. The sofa also folds out in these cabins. Those with a third berth only have the fold-out sofa but not the upper berth.

When the upper berth folds up, it folds into the ceiling (as opposed to against the wall - this is good) but it is not totally flush with the ceiling as I have seen on some ships.

Saw a photo of our cabin "category" and the photo showed a small sofa.
That was one of the "large" cabins on the Main Deck as opposed to one of the "standard" cabins which are very small.

If it's possible I'd try to get your assignment changed to a J on Main Deck. I think you'd be much happier there.

The sofa itself is not very good for sleeping on as it's curved (I don't know how old your son is) but it folds out into a full-size third berth in cabins marked as having a third berth. Unfortunately it takes up a good deal of floor space and is not very comfortable. For a third pax in the cabin I prefer the cabins marked as having a third and fourth berth as those also have the upper berth which does not take up floor space and is much more comfortable.

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU!!!!

I appreciate all of your help.

Im seriously looking into upgrading the J cabin. There is not much left on Z for this cruise. I want to be near my parents/kid.... but not at the expense of my husband and I killing each other living in a closet! :) SMILE!

THANKS AGAIN!

Kelly

We're booked in verandah rooms on the Upper Verandah deck. We wanted to keep our kids (15 and 17) near us and got them a K category room on the same deck. My first choice was the I category insides for them, but right now they're only showing GUAR for that category. I'm assuming that the K rooms should be fine for two teenagers. Is that a reasonable assumption?

We are booked in category I - cabin 8049 - inside cabin - Navigation deck - Zuiderdam. Not sure if you are interested in that category, but when booking, the square footage showed to be 203 (with other I cabins around 185-190 sq ft that were available). We have stayed in an inside I-category cabin on Maasdam, and it was plenty big for us. (Also been in highest category inside cabins on Norwegian and Celebrity, and a suite on Norwegian). We're content with inside cabins - and like you said, the money you save can be applied towards future cruising! We're just not the type to be in our cabin much except for sleeping, showering, and changing clothes. I've definitely stayed in smaller inside cabins - with NCL Sky probably being the smallest (around 150 sq ft I think).

I had a K cabin on the Zuiderdam...cabin 1113 - aft main deck. I was surprised at the size of the cabin. There was plenty of room, plus a nice sofa and table next to the writing desk. That particular cabin was also QUIET. Absolutely no noise from above or engines or anything else.

Hi:) yes, that sounds like a typical inside cabin.......I sail solo, so it is just for me....and yes, that is all I do in my cabin, sleep, shower and change clothes.

Have had an inside twice on Celebrity...it was about 172 sqaure feet...I am guessing a HAL inside is about the same size.

Lois, Century's cabins are slightly bigger than Mercury ( 174-175 vs 172 ;) )

We are booked for inside I (I-6067) and it's 185sq.ft. I love location!!! Midship between SS suites.

Ocean view start with 194 sq ft vs Celebrity 175 sq.ft (Century)

We're booked in verandah rooms on the Upper Verandah deck. We wanted to keep our kids (15 and 17) near us and got them a K category room on the same deck. My first choice was the I category insides for them, but right now they're only showing GUAR for that category. I'm assuming that the K rooms should be fine for two teenagers. Is that a reasonable assumption?

I think K and I are the same size... It will be 3 of us there. (with our 12 y.o.) I guess it should be fine for 2 teens.

Hi Tatka...well, I emailed my TA again last night....after reading all these posts....I paid for a guaratee....lowest price inside....whatever I end up getting is what I will get......the smallest cabin I have encountered was on Sovereign of the Seas.....122 square feet...I am sure this one will be bigger, and I know it will be nicer...the ship is only 2 years old:D ...Sovereign was built in 1988:eek:

Archived