Zuiderdam J and K Inside Cabins

spcl4cs_gal

Hi Tatka...well, I emailed my TA again last night....after reading all these posts....I paid for a guaratee....lowest price inside....whatever I end up getting is what I will get......the smallest cabin I have encountered was on Sovereign of the Seas.....122 square feet...I am sure this one will be bigger, and I know it will be nicer...the ship is only 2 years old:D ...Sovereign was built in 1988:eek:

You know what.. I think RCL ships cabins have very smart design... I had 138 sq ft cabin on Splendour of the Seas which didn't feel less than 175 on Century. :confused: Splendour is 1 year younger than Century though. I never sailed on Sovereign so I can't compare.

We are thinking about Bermuda and of course living next to Boston we probably should sail on Norwegian Majesty, but cabin size is 108 sq ft :eek: . How 3 of us would fit in there? :confused:

I think K and I are the same size... It will be 3 of us there. (with our 12 y.o.) I guess it should be fine for 2 teens.
Tatka,

On the upper Verandah and Navigatio decks the I category rooms are about 200 square feet, but the J and K categories are about 145 square feet. But my first cruise had us in a 120 square foot stateroom, so I'm sure they'll survive. Right now debating decks while waiting to hear from TA.

We had an 108 sq ft. cabin on the Norwegian Sea and let me tell you it is small. The cabin was comfortable if you can handle tight quarters, but for 3 that might be bit much. The cruise was very good other wise though.

I'm assuming that the K rooms should be fine for two teenagers. Is that a reasonable assumption?
If they just use them for sleeping, showering, using the bathroom, etc., they're fine (as would be almost anything). But they are SMALL. Right now ZUIDERDAM only does 7-night cruises but some of her sisters do cruises two weeks or longer, for which I would most definitely not want to stay in one of these cabins.

I think K and I are the same size...
If the K cabins in question are the ones on the Main Deck, they're similar in size but slightly different in layout.

The K cabins on the other decks are very small.

It will be 3 of us there. (with our 12 y.o.)
In that case I would recommend you try to get a cabin marked as having third and fourth berths, so that you get your choice between the fold-out sofa and the upper berth. (I much prefer the upper berth, which does not exist in cabins with a third berth only.)

I paid for a guaratee....lowest price inside....whatever I end up getting is what I will get......the smallest cabin I have encountered was on Sovereign of the Seas.....122 square feet...I am sure this one will be bigger, and I know it will be nicer...
I wouldn't be that terribly sure. The "standard" inside cabins on the Vista-class ships, or at least the smallest ones, are only marginally bigger and not really much nicer either.

You know what.. I think RCL ships cabins have very smart design... I had 138 sq ft cabin on Splendour of the Seas which didn't feel less than 175 on Century.
Yes. The RCI ships from LEGEND on (that means VISION-, VOYAGER-, and RADIANCE-class ships) have incredibly well-designed cabins. The 150-something sq ft cabin on VOYAGER OF THE SEAS was far, far nicer than the 185 sq ft cabin on ZUIDERDAM - it didn't feel smaller and was much more attractively furnished and well-designed.

I never sailed on Sovereign so I can't compare.
The standard cabins in the SOVEREIGN-class ships and EMPRESS OF THE SEAS are very different from the newer RCI ships. Very small cabins... Actually the standard outsides on EMPRESS OF THE SEAS are about 140 sq ft but feel smaller than the equivalent size cabins on the newer ships. Her standard insides, and all the standards on the SOVEREIGN-class ships, are about 120 sq ft. In other words, small. Still not badly designed (though not as good as the newer RCI vessels) but very small.

we probably should sail on Norwegian Majesty, but cabin size is 108 sq ft
I'm surprised that the triples are that small!

Remember that NORWEGIAN MAJESTY was designed as a Baltic cruise-ferry, where pax wouldn't be spending more than one night in the cabins.

Actually the worst cabin we've ever had was on SEAWARD (now NORWEGIAN SEA, and designed as a cruise ship, not a ferry) which was just about that size. To make matters worse, not only was it tiny, it was really furnished on the cheap... The bathroom had a flat floor so that if the ship was moving at all, the whole thing got wet when you took a shower, and the (tinny, metal) drawers didn't have stoppers so that if you pulled on them too hard, they fell right out onto the floor. Oh, yes, the furniture was all done in an orangish-color Formica-esque stuff, which is probably long gone. What can I say, I am not fond of that ship. Luckily she's going to be banished to Star Cruises in Asia next year.

I'm surprised that the triples are that small!

Remember that NORWEGIAN MAJESTY was designed as a Baltic cruise-ferry, where pax wouldn't be spending more than one night in the cabins.

Actually the worst cabin we've ever had was on SEAWARD (now NORWEGIAN SEA, and designed as a cruise ship, not a ferry) which was just about that size. To make matters worse, not only was it tiny, it was really furnished on the cheap... The bathroom had a flat floor so that if the ship was moving at all, the whole thing got wet when you took a shower, and the (tinny, metal) drawers didn't have stoppers so that if you pulled on them too hard, they fell right out onto the floor. Oh, yes, the furniture was all done in an orangish-color Formica-esque stuff, which is probably long gone. What can I say, I am not fond of that ship. Luckily she's going to be banished to Star Cruises in Asia next year.

1) So....maybe we'll get better ship to sail to Bermuda from Boston? Can't wait!!! (Although it'll be small ship again as even Celebrity Century can't dock in Bermuda except for Naval base)

2) I've checked our cabin on Zuiderdam..it's I-6067 Upper Verandah and shows 4 berth so hopefully we'll be alright.;) I also hope inside cabins are also not as terrible as you described. :) It's says large inside . (Somebody mentioned it was around 200 sq. ft)

http://ajanis.cruiseone.com/travel/cruises/virtual_tours.jsp?pg=4&mediatype=5&ITINERARY_ID=809|ZU|||

This is a page with 360 view of every cabin.

Doug..there isn't much I can about the situation at this point...but ya'll are now scaring me....when you say the cabins aren't that much nicer...she is only 2 years old..compared to a ship that was built 15 years ago? The shower on the Sovereign was so small...the shower curtain didn't even fit properly...the floor got soaked and my toilet constantly backed up.....now, I know that can happen on any ship at any given moment....but now I am thinking maybe I should call my TA and pay an xtra 100.00....to get a bigger cabin.

There goes my guarantee:eek:....lets see what my TA says first.....

Tatka...I have seen that site...its really good:)

And I am just staying where I am (cabin wise).......emailed TA and received a reply...at this point the only place to upgrade would be an additional 500.00:eek: ...for that amount I could have stayed on Horizon and gone to Bermuda....

So, I will be on the inside...whatever category I end up with...smaller or larger....I will be fine:D ...same as always, I will be using my cabin for sleeping, showering and changing clothes! So, I am not going to worry myself to death over this cabin size thingy.

Doug..there isn't much I can about the situation at this point...but ya'll are now scaring me....when you say the cabins aren't that much nicer...she is only 2 years old..compared to a ship that was built 15 years ago? The shower on the Sovereign was so small...the shower curtain didn't even fit properly...the floor got soaked and my toilet constantly backed up.....now, I know that can happen on any ship at any given moment....but now I am thinking maybe I should call my TA and pay an xtra 100.00....to get a bigger cabin.

There goes my guarantee:eek:....lets see what my TA says first.....

Lois, between us Century fans... Last year before my Century cruise I kept reading about how food on Celebrity and Century was worse than it used to be etc. I also was kind of worried. Well, I loved it, so now I decided to wait and see if I myself like it or not.;) Now I am even glad that I won't have high expectation and later will probably be surprised. :)

And cabin...well as much as I liked my outside cabin on Century I spent very little time in it. It's not like I've booked huge suite to throw a party.

1) So....maybe we'll get better ship to sail to Bermuda from Boston? Can't wait!!!
Possibly, though at the moment only NORWEGIAN SEA is slated to go to Star Cruises in Asia. However I imagine that after her MAJESTY would be next.

The current corporate plan is to move all of NCL's smaller ships (presumably this means SEA, MAJESTY, WIND, DREAM) to Asia over the next few years.

2) I've checked our cabin on Zuiderdam..it's I-6067 Upper Verandah and shows 4 berth so hopefully we'll be alright.
That should be pretty decent. The Cat. I cabins I saw were relatively large. It's the "standard" insides that I'd be worried about but I don't believe any of those are triples or quads.

when you say the cabins aren't that much nicer...she is only 2 years old..compared to a ship that was built 15 years ago? The shower on the Sovereign was so small...the shower curtain didn't even fit properly...the floor got soaked and my toilet constantly backed up...
I'm certainly not saying your toilet is going to back up or your bathroom is going to flood, but the condition of the cabins being equal, I don't think one would be much nicer than the other. (Newer is not always better.) If you happen to get one of the worst "standard" insides on ZUIDERDAM (and they're not all the same by any means), it will be a tiny little cabin. I did not think the decor or furnishing of the cabins on ZUIDERDAM was anything great either.

The bathrooms are quite small though probably a bit bigger than on the RCI SOVEREIGN-class ships (it's been a few years since I was on one of those).

Hi Doug:)..well....I will have to accept the cabin I receive...use it as I always do, and have a good cruise.

Like I said, I spoke with my TA...and asked her about an upgrade....she said the only upgrade (a paid one) would cost me close to 500.00:eek: ...don't have that kinda $$...so I will just hope my guarantee is the larger inside...and if not, I will deal with the smaller and still have a good week:)

I forgot to mention that when I booked, I booked a guarantee of N. When I got my documents, I was given a K cabin on the main deck. FWIW, I am 6'4" tall and I had plenty of room in the shower in this cabin. In all honesty, I was in my cabin from about midnight until 6 a.m. - the rest of the time I was elsewhere on the ship.

Archived