Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

I am trying to decided between the Carnival Miracle or Golden Princess for cruise to Alaska from Seattle. Anybody been on both that could give me an opinion? Princess has that great 3 for deal going on right now, but I have never cruised on Princess before (twice on Carnival). However, the shore excursion options look better on the Princess. Miracle has not had the 2.0 upgrades yet. Does anyone know if they will by May 2014?

Thank you in advance.

I was just reading a trip report about the piano bar on another ship and how bad it was. I really used to enjoy the piano bar, but on the last few cruises have not had very good luck with the piano bar. Just wondering if anybody can tell me how the piano bar on the Conquest is these days. Thanks!

We just got off the Conquest yesterday. We went to the piano bar once and were less than thrilled with the entertainment.

I was just reading a trip report about the piano bar on another ship and how bad it was. I really used to enjoy the piano bar, but on the last few cruises have not had very good luck with the piano bar. Just wondering if anybody can tell me how the piano bar on the Conquest is these days. Thanks!

No biscuits or gravy at breakfast, that I ever saw anyway. We enjoyed the Blue Iquana for breakfast several days, chocolate chip pancakes at the Punchliner brunch, and the buffet. The made to order omelettes are great. I noticed they do not like to give more than two pieces of bacon at a time though on the buffet... LOL ;-)

They serve the bacon? Oh No!!!! LOL On FREEDOM in June, it was a bacon/sausage/ham free for all at the omelet station - serve yourself!!

tumblr_mbdk3yFYSa1ruu1h8o1_500_zps2850d04c.jpg

Thanks, NCTribeFan. I'll take a look there. HAL has wrap around decks and it is so nice to be able to walk around the entire ship.

Jim

Seriously, I've griped about it in every review I've written since discovering Cruise Critic (Miracle 2007).

So I was thrilled when I looked at the deck plans for Zaandam before my HAL cruise to Hawaii (wonderful!!).

I sail Fantasy class a lot, and those outside decks don't even have loungers! I just don't get it.

When I was on Glory to Bermuda, I was so excited to find the loungers out there, that I rushed to the cabin after breakfast to get my book and headed out there. I sat there reading for about 5 minutes and then the crew came out and said they had to close the deck for cleaning. The other side of the ship was in full shade (in mid-October). Sigh.

Re: bacon - at least they have sides available at the omelet station on this class ships. On Fantasy class, they do not, so you have to either get your sides first (and eat all the bacon while you're in line for your omelet), or let your omelet get cold while you then go stand in line to just get some bacon. :(

bemarshall,

I am not sure when you sail on the Conquest but I think the current piano player is leaving during the month. We are on the repositioning cruise on the 16th so I hope they have a good one!!!

Larry is the PBE on the Conquest he does not leave until 10-27-13 then Martin Alex Aucoin takes over. Larry was OK, by far not the worst I have ever sailed with but also not near the best. Larry runs a clean PB and does not like doing the stupid bar songs and does not keep a crowd all night. I would not book a cruise based on him in the PB.

Larry is the PBE on the Conquest he does not leave until 10-27-13 then Martin Alex Aucoin takes over. Larry was OK, by far not the worst I have ever sailed with but also not near the best. Larry runs a clean PB and does not like doing the stupid bar songs and does not keep a crowd all night. I would not book a cruise based on him in the PB.

We will be on the November 9th sailing, so glad to hear that Larry will be leaving before then ... I don't like a clean PB and I love stupid bar songs ;) Maybe my PB luck will finally be changing. Hope Martin doesn't disappoint! Thanks so much for the info!

I have a Conquest specific question :)! Are the Cabin doors Metal? Will a magnet stay put?

No they aren't and I tried. Someone posted on some thread that they were so I made a cool picture to put on our door, printed it one magnet backed inkjet "paper" just for our trip. I go to put it up on the door and it falls to floor. No luck. But the interior walls in the cabin are metal, so I hung my magnet picture up there and we enjoyed it while we were "home".

Edited by racegrrl

Just got back from a cruise on the conquest and carnival has sure changed in a year. No more live music during production shows. sniff sniff no more feathers or vegas type costumes.

they had 3 production shows, with a few costume changes. On one of the shows a cartoon character on the screen background sang parts of the headliners songs. One other night they had a ventriloquist. The other night had a show of the comedians that were in the comedy club.

the shows had a video type background most of the time. Many of the performers sing as well as dance but the quality isn't there. The one band they had was made up with members that were in the orchestra last year who had played in the productions shows. They did away with the legends show and were to do a guest talent show which we didn't have due to being delayed due to the tropical storm and people getting off the ship on sunday and Monday. You had the choice to leave on your day of preference. In all entertainment has been changed and not for the better.

debkjw

Well, haven't sailed Conquest yet, but I actually prefer the shows that I've seen since the changes.

I don't need a live show band. I'm much more interested in having performers (singers and dancers) who can actually sing and dance.

I don't need feathers, either. :p

I do miss the Filipino cover bands, though. That's the ONLY musical change that I miss. Every pool band I ever heard made my ears bleed, so don't miss that (and don't hang out around the Lido pool anyway).

Not a big fan of piano bars, but have started stopping in a night or two. I think I'd probably like Larry more than some I've heard. Just really don't care for singalongs anyway. And I feel so bad for the poor performers who have to play the same awful songs over and over and over and over and over. There's just a whole lot of music out there that so many people like that I detest. Just because it was played a lot on the radio doesn't mean it was a good song!!!

We were on this same cruise and thought the ventriloquist was the highlight of the entertainment. We enjoyed the show with the animated characters. The Latin show was not good...Nothing Latin about it.

Just got back from a cruise on the conquest and carnival has sure changed in a year. No more live music during production shows. sniff sniff no more feathers or vegas type costumes.

they had 3 production shows, with a few costume changes. On one of the shows a cartoon character on the screen background sang parts of the headliners songs. One other night they had a ventriloquist. The other night had a show of the comedians that were in the comedy club.

the shows had a video type background most of the time. Many of the performers sing as well as dance but the quality isn't there. The one band they had was made up with members that were in the orchestra last year who had played in the productions shows. They did away with the legends show and were to do a guest talent show which we didn't have due to being delayed due to the tropical storm and people getting off the ship on sunday and Monday. You had the choice to leave on your day of preference. In all entertainment has been changed and not for the better.

debkjw

debkjw

I totally agree with you! Was on the Breeze this past winter and did not care for the "New" entertainment. I really miss the live bands...good to hear that they do at least one band. IMHO Carnival is missing the boat on taking away the live bands.

Seen all of the poor production shows already, doubt that I will see them again. Not like the old production shows where you could watch them over and over and never get sick of them.

Seen all of the poor production shows already, doubt that I will see them again. Not like the old production shows where you could watch them over and over and never get sick of them.

How long ago were the production shows that used to be good? Last cruised in 2010 on Triumph and remember a great show called The Big Easy. Is that still showing?

No they aren't and I tried. Someone posted on some thread that they were so I made a cool picture to put on our door, printed it one magnet backed inkjet "paper" just for our trip. I go to put it up on the door and it falls to floor. No luck. But the interior walls in the cabin are metal, so I hung my magnet picture up there and we enjoyed it while we were "home".

<sigh> Well I guess I can do something cute that will hang from the door frame... ? I just want to do something so DH can find the room easily... late at night .. :)

<sigh> Well I guess I can do something cute that will hang from the door frame... ? I just want to do something so DH can find the room easily... late at night .. :)

That's why I was going to do it as well....DH had a stroke last year and I try to let him be as independent as possible, "leading" us around, finding where we need to go with guidance. You can bring a little bit of tape and tape something to the door. But a magnet won't work. Have fun!

That's why I was going to do it as well....DH had a stroke last year and I try to let him be as independent as possible, "leading" us around, finding where we need to go with guidance. You can bring a little bit of tape and tape something to the door. But a magnet won't work. Have fun!

Oh, I know DH and I will have a BLAST! With all the guidance from this site and our extreme excitement, how could it Not? ! :p

I haven't sailed on her for almost 4 years ago. Hubby likes to smoke a cigar after dinner and if my memory is correct they did have a cigar lounge back then.

Thank you for finding out for me... ;)

Just off the Conquest Sunday. When we were on her in 2006, Alfred's Bar was still a cigar lounge with a jazz trio. Now cigars are relegated to Vincent's on deck 5 aft next to the Degas Lounge with an occasional evening acoustic guitar player between comedy shows. However, cigars are also allowed on Deck 10 starboard open deck midship. They have put out ash recepticles and some regular chairs (not chaise lounges) for smokers. One of the few positive changes we observed. Cigar and cigarette people co-existed quite amicably.

Question:

I've seen it posted that sometimes you are left waiting for the other diners to join your table before ordering in MDR. What is the protocol for if you decide NOT to eat in the MDR? Is there someone you are supposed to tell?

If I know I'm not going to be at dinner the next night, I inform my tablemates and the server. I just think it's the polite thing to do.

When I arrive on time and others who are NOT part of my party aren't there, I tell the server we'd like to go ahead and order. I'm not waiting around for people who aren't with us, just because they don't show up to dinner on time.

It does put added work on the servers when people straggle in late. I'm sure that never occurs to them, though. :(