Passport must be good for six months

SaltwaterTwo

Absolutely correct. Of course, if you miss the ship you'll have a long swim or bus ride home because you need a passport to enter via air.

You're right, something to think about. If an emergency arises where you cannot continue your voyage via ship and need to fly home you're screwed because you don't have a passport.

I still don't understand all this negativity about having a passport. It's good for 10 years and it's the best form of ID.

Absolutely correct. Of course, if you miss the ship you'll have a long swim or bus ride home because you need a passport to enter via air.
The OP has a passport that is valid until August. She returns home April 22. Do you think that her three months extra validity is too little? Is six months enough? Would a year be better?

Why make something that is so simple into something more complicated?

Renew the passport and find something more compelling to worry about. Of all the things in the world that need complex solutions, this is so darn simple it is silly.

1. The 6 month validity requirement is not for return to the US, it is for entry into the countries you are going to visit. Costa Rica only requires 30 days, Barbados requires 3 months. 6 months is the longest time for ALL countries; most TA's and travel providers just use this number rather than list the specific times for each and every country. Its a catch-all.

2. The US will let you back into the country, no questions asked, up to and including the day of your US passport expiration.

3. Mexico does not have a 'passport validity period' requirement at this time for US citizens. A valid passport is a valid passport. They do have 6 month validity requirements for persons travelling on passports from some other countires.

4. Not everyone staffing check-in desks at ports and airports correctly understands these rules, so a knowledgable traveller is prepared with references. Some people prefer to just take the easiest route and always have a 6 month valid passport.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

For years, whenever I've taken a cruise or an international trip, my TA has put a note that my passport had to be valid for at least 6 months after my date of return to the U.S. So, IMHO, this is not a new regulation.

I agree with the other posters: what's the downside to getting a passport? I've had one since I was 15, over 50 years ago. I can't imagine traveling anywhere without a passport and have a hard time understanding the resistance to getting one.

Pam, its not about having a passport, its that the OP is taking an April cruise ( ~ 10 weeks away) and is worried about not being able to renew a passport in that amount of time. If they don't need to renew now there is no sense in in trying to rush one through before the cruise.

We are on a cruise leaving in early February. In our group of 5 people, one had a passport that expires 5 months after the cruise. We booked with a TA several months agao and completed the online immigration form in December. The online immigration form clearly asks for dates of passport expiration. At this point, no mention of the 6 month rule. In early January, we received documents. For the first time, the six month rule was mentioned not once, but twice, in the documents. I called HAL, spoke to three people and got three different answers (one didn't know, one said our person couldn't cruise, one said a certified birth certificate and drivers license would do). All said that the online immigration form should have alerted us to a problem, it didn't.

The end of the story. We have certified birth certificate and drivers license. Meanwhile, person with the expiring passport (who intended on getting it renewed anyway when he got back) goes to local post office, pays extra rush fee and gets new passport in two weeks time.

Moral of the story. HAL could have alleviated much of the confusion by letting us know the 6 month rule at the time of booking. Also, their customer service reps need to be brought up to speed on what the facts are. I believe that all people traveling should have a passport and I've always traveled with one. I do believe that the date of expiration should be just that, the date you can no longer use your passport. Maybe that's too simple?

Jennie we don't need our passports to be over six months to visit your country :) Do you remember when we could come and go betwen both countries with no passport? Those were the days.

However, you might check out what the current situation is in Aussie now, our new passports now cost double what they did and are only for five years, they have a chip inserted in them, they are flimsy and really ghastly. My neighbour just showed me hers as she was signing my application off for a new one as mine expires in June, I thought I may as well renew it now before my trip over to Sydney in March.

Yes, I do remember those days very well. We will be visiting Auckland for one night in March enroute to Norfolk Island and we will have to bring our passports for that one visit!!

My DH got a new one last year and it is still good for 10 years. It didn't cost much more than his previous one. In fact, it really doesn't look any different except it does had something special inside it. When we returned from our November trip, Customs asked if any of the travellers had the new passport and my DH was one of them so he was taken to a special line to see if it worked. In future, he just has to smile into a camera or something like that.

Jennie

Pam, its not about having a passport, its that the OP is taking an April cruise ( ~ 10 weeks away) and is worried about not being able to renew a passport in that amount of time. If they don't need to renew now there is no sense in in trying to rush one through before the cruise.

We can get a passport renewed within 10 to 14 days. Surely in your efficient country it wouldn't take 10 weeks.

It is so easy to renew a passport, and not have the worry hanging over your head that if anything happened, eg, illness or missing the ship from an excurison which can happen, you can fly home and not have the hassle of re-entry back into your country.

A passport is so much a part of our life. We travel so much and so far that we automatically carry ours whenever we go away, just like always having your drivers license with you when home.

Jennie

For normal processing, it can well take 8 - 10 weeks. Expedited (speedy) processing is available for an additional cost. In a real emergency, I think if you live near a Passport Processing Center, you can get a one day renewal.

DH and I renewed our passports last April or May and it was around 9 weeks turn around time. I didn't request the expedited processing.

With the new regulations requiring passport for everyone entering U.S. by air, the number of applications surely has increased and the turn around time may well increase accordingly.

I can't imagine not having a current passport ready to go. I wouldn't want to risk missing out on an unexpected surprise :) because I had let my passport get close to expiration.

I know someone who wasn't alowed to board a plane in NYC last fall because there wasn't enough time left on her passport. I renewed my passport early for the upcoming cruise I am taking. What is the big deal?

I will admit I looked better in the picture of me 9 years ago than the one I took now.

Mexico, the Caribbean, etc. you need a passport to fly home from any of these places.

I want to thank all for responding to my post. It was a lively discussion with much information, which I appreciate. cherylandtk was right on with her analysis. My reluctance to get my passport renewed is because I would have to give up the one I have now for a period of eight weeks or more until I get a new one. Secondly, I don’t trust the postal system not to lose it in transit leaving me with no passport for the cruise. And I certainly don’t want to spend extra for something that I don’t really need at this time. I called the passport office and they informed me that my present passport, which expires in August of this year, is valid for my cruise to Mexico in April and reentry into the U.S. I was further able to determine that many countries, including Mexico, have a treaty with the U.S. allowing entry (reentry) up until the expiration date of the passport, which, in my case, would be in August of this year. The information on the travel agency’s statement that a passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond return travel date is incorrect. I agree with the poster who said Travel Agencies should not be giving their clients false information and I certainly will take this up with my TA

The information on the travel agency’s statement that a passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond return travel date is incorrect. I agree with the poster who said Travel Agencies should not be giving their clients false information and I certainly will take this up with my TA [/b]

As we have seen with this and every other discussion of passports, it is a subject that is more complicated that it first appears to be. IMHO, the situation is made worse by the US State Department's dumb decision to postpone the passport requirement for sea travel but not for air travel.

In the case of a TA, they deal with people going to many different places. As we've seen, some countries have the six month rule, and some don't. Some have different requirements for day visitors, such as cruise ship passengers, and longer visiting tourists. You may enter the country as a day-tripper on a cruise ship, but if you miss the sailing for some reason, you become a long term tourist, possibly subject to different requirements.

If a group of intelligent, experienced travelers, such as the members of this BBS can't seem to understand the requirements, imagine how confusing it must be for a first time, or very occasional traveler.

The TA may have just taken the path of least resistance and started telling everyone that they need a passport, even if they don't, and that it must be valid for six months after the scheduled return, even if it need not be. That way, everyone is safe and there can be no disasters because a traveler didn't understand the rules, or didn't tell the TA everything.

Its not right, but the TA may have gotten tired of putting up with complaints from customers going to Albania who were told to get a new passport, and then heard from their brother-in-law, who went on a Mexican cruise, that he was told that he didn't need a passport. Worse still, the customer who acted on his brother-in-law's advice, didn't get a new passport and was denied boarding at the airport (with loss of non-refundable tickets) or entry at the destination country, who then complains to the TA.

With all the other hassles that arranging a foreign trip can entail, I can sympathize with a TA who takes a "one size fits all" approach and simplifies that one aspect of the problem. I agree that it's not right, but is is easier and safer for all concerned.

With all the other hassles that arranging a foreign trip can entail, I can sympathize with a TA who takes a "one size fits all" approach and simplifies that one aspect of the problem. I agree that it's not right, but is is easier and safer for all concerned.

I understand the logic but must disagree. The TA is being paid by the client and it is her/his job to give the client accurate information. In this particular instance the false information could have caused the client (me) an added and needless expense for the trip. It may be safer and easier for the TA but certainly not easier for the client who has to contend with the hassel of quickly obtaining a passport renewal that is not needed. An experienced TA, especially one who lives in a city that borders on Mexico, would have taken a black marker pen and deleted any reference to the "six month" requirement. All TA's should strive to be right, not wrong. "one size fits all" is a good way to lose customers.

not with other countries. I have been all over the world, but three years ago booked land travel to Costa Rica for three. It would be my stepdaughters first time out of the US and first time ever on a plane. We took the time to get her a passport but I never bothered to look at mine.

Imagine our surprise when US Airways stopped us at the airport and we could not travel that day (my passport expired 4 months later and Costa Rica required six (6) months, more than any other country. I had no idea). I was VERY fortunate to live in a city where I could get a new passport that day by showing my confirmed flights the next day. I was also very fortunate that US Airways had seats the following day and changed our tickets with no penalty whatsoever (there should have been for the $400.00pp flight with tax we were paying).

The only thing we lost was a day and a $100.00. I had arranged for a tour company to send a driver and take us far from San Jose. As he was already on his way to meet us, I did have to give them the $100.00 the next to pay him since he lost other fares that day. They were able to cancel our Canapy Tour with no penalty which was booked and not paid for the day we ended up traveling. We were fortunate but I felt totally stupid (I was at the passport office weeks early getting one for my stepdaughter).

:) [quote name='SaltwaterTwo'][COLOR=blue]With all the other hassles that arranging a foreign trip can entail, I can sympathize with a TA who takes a "one size fits all" approach and simplifies that one aspect of the problem. I agree that it's not right, but is is easier and safer for all concerned.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]I understand the logic but must disagree. The TA is being paid by the client and it is her/his job to give the client accurate information. In this particular instance the false information could have caused the client (me) an added and needless expense for the trip. It may be safer and easier for the TA but certainly not easier for the client who has to contend with the hassel of quickly obtaining a passport renewal that is not needed. An experienced TA, especially one who lives in a city that borders on Mexico, would have taken a black marker pen and deleted any reference to the "six month" requirement. All TA's should strive to be right, not wrong. "one size fits all" is a good way to lose customers.[/COLOR][/quote]

The 6 month rule for other countries which require a U.S. citizen to have a valid passport has been in effect for years..Since I travelled on business (Airline Sales) my passport was always good for at least 6 months after entry into those countries..

That being said, I know I'm in the minority here, but agree with Saltwater & whogo...Our Res. Agents always had this info available & every TA, worth their salt, has up to date passport & visa info at their fingertips..There is no reason to take a "one size fits all approach"..She/He is getting the commission for the booking & should be willing to take the [B]short time[/B] required to do the research..To me it's laziness, and our Res. Agents would not have gotten away with giving incorrect info. to Psgrs! Of course, realize that many people take the "road of least resistance" in their work, but I don't agree with it & will continue to fight it!

Why should a passenger who rarely travels, pay the extra $$$ to renew a passport, when it's unnecessary..

Have a great cruise Saltwater..:) Betty

Archived