Risky?

At that time of year, and that early of an arrival time, you SHOULD be ok. I, too, would opt for the prior day arrival, just to eliminate any risk! I'm always a bit concerned that my luggage will be diverted somewhere, and arriving the day before certainly would give the airline time to locate anything they misplace!

And, with the regulations, weird people, and even weirder responses by the airlines to the weird folk, ....well, it's kind of a crapshoot!

You spend so much for a cruise--don't you want to start it as relaxed as possible? Arrive the day before, get a hotel, check-out at 11am, and go to the port.

You asked!!!

I assume you are looking at a non-stop flight from DFW to Orlando. Then it takes about an hour to get from the airport to the port. Don't assume that summer weather means fewer flight delays. Summer thunderstorms can screw up flights, too. Even if weather is perfect in Dallas and Orlando - bad weather elsewhere could delay the plane you're supposed to board from arriving at DFW on time. I'd spend a little more money and fly the day before, then get a Priceline hotel near the Orlando airport.

** I hope you purchased trip insurance.

I know everyone will say I'm crazy, but I ALWAYS fly in on the day of the cruise. Except once. That was an Alaskan cruise and it was just impossible.

I did a Southern Caribbean cruise flying into San Juan and boarding the same day. Plane left my hometown at 6:30 am, connected and we were in SJ by 1:30.

I see you are from Texas - DEFINITELY go day of. Save the money and time.

By the way, I flew in the day of our Mariner cruise to Orlando, took the RCCL shuttle and was fine. Our flight got in around 11:30 am and we were on board by 2 or so.

SeaBreezy

Thunderstorms my back side...try hurricanes. Right in the midst of the season. 2004 and 2005 should be a clue and reminder where numerous hurricanes attacked Florida between mid august and september. Fly the day before.

I guess I am confused. The OP is going on a cruise in June, and that's the beginning of the hurricane season.

OP

If you have a non-stop flight to Orlando, I wouldn't be too worried. As mentioned previously, most thunderstorms start in the afternoon. It's rare for them that early in the day. Having said all that, I would certainly be sure to get insurance if you decide to fly in the day of the cruise.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Katie

RCI booked our air/sea package and had us going down the same day in December. We were supposed to land at 1:30 in FLL. Unfortunately, our plane out of Minneapolis had computer problems so we left late. We missed our connection in Atlanta, and were re-booked on a 2:00 flight. That didn't end up leaving until 3:30 due to computer problems and we landed in FLL at 4:55 and ended up missing the ship. We had to fly down to San Juan to catch the ship there, two days late. We thought weather would be the issue for us coming from MN in the winter, but it was plane malfunctions. This was our first cruise and we didn't know any better. Our TA didn't warn us about flying the same day either. We will never fly down the same day again, no matter what time of the year.

Catching the Mariner in June 07. We can only fly in the day of the cruise, arrival time is 11:28 am, is this too risky? I will also save a substantial amount of money booking my own airfare.

Even if disaster only strikes 1/10th of 1% of passengers who choose to fly in the same day as embarkation, ask yourself: Are you mentally prepared to be part of that one-tenth of a percent?

Catching the Mariner in June 07. We can only fly in the day of the cruise, arrival time is 11:28 am, is this too risky? I will also save a substantial amount of money booking my own airfare.

Acually, that is what we did for our Disney cruise. We got there in plenty of time. BUT if you want to get there early and spend lots of time on the ship before it leaves port, i would say leave the night before. :o Have a good cruise!

go down a day early...it doesn't make any differnce if it's miami...ft lauderdale...orleando...new orleaNS...galveston...san juan...what ever...get there in plent of time and relax the nite before embarkation...if you leave the day of embarkat6ion you are taking a risk...if you book it or if rccl books it...spend a little extra money and spend the x-tra nite in a hotel and get to the pier bright and early and ENJOY THE VACATION OF A LIFE TIME...and be relaxed...we done 13 cruises and 12 pre-nites...only one we did not do was the 1st one and we ddin't know any better...cruising is a prevlidge don't let an airline or weather stand in your way...

go down a day early...it doesn't make any differnce if it's miami...ft lauderdale...orleando...new orleaNS...galveston...san juan...what ever...get there in plenty of time and relax the nite before embarkation...if you leave the day of embarkat6ion you are taking a risk...if you book it or if rccl books it...spend a little extra money and spend the x-tra nite in a hotel and get to the pier bright and early and ENJOY THE VACATION OF A LIFE TIME...and be relaxed...we done 13 cruises and 12 pre-nites...only one we did not do was the 1st one and we ddin't know any better...cruising is a prevlidge don't let an airline or weather stand in your way...

well we had a sick passenger on the plane cause an emergency stop, missed the connection due to thunderstorms in the atlanta connection. had to purchase a new set of tickets out of pocket for over 10 people, then had to fight with the insurance.... then had no luggage for three days, one passenger never got theirs.

to have eliminated all this would have been "priceless":D

you only let it happen to you ONCE!!!!!

I alway try to fly in a day early. Better safe than sorry. Also, would rather be well rested and ready for the cruise.

Carnival Holiday 1997

Carnival Inspiration 2000

Carnival Facsination 2001

Norweigan Sun 2002

Carnival Victory 2003

Carnival Liberty 2006

RCCL Legend 1 month away!

OP said they HAD TO FLY IN THE DAY OF the cruise. Sure, I'd recommend they come in a day early but if they CANNOT for whatever reasons. I say purchase trip insurance and don't worry about it. Large chance of everything working out anyway. Its not a 3PM arrival flight or something silly like that.

Dan

Archived