Amadeus Travel Insurance Explained

cmthomas

Great detective work WIT! That is the kind of info that can be helpful to many travelers. I tried to bring up the list of providers but I can't get it without a membership number. If you can print it out or copy it to an email would you send me the list for the areas from Budapest to the Black Sea? Even though I am not a Blue Cross subscriber I would feel comfortable using facilities that they approve as qualified to treat their subscribers. It would be a good reference point. You can either post it here or email it to me at ClarenceThomas3@gmail.com if you are willing to do so.

Clarence:)

I'm emailing a pdf to your gmail address listing BCBS approved doctors and hospitals for the countries on the Black Sea Discovery October cruise. I would attach it directly here but it exceeds the max file size. If others would like this pdf please post a request here.

We, ages 65 and 55, have Amadeus reservations for Amadeus Magnificent Europe, September 22 from Amsterdam. We purchased the Amadeus insurance at the time of booking because of the "right to change your mind" option. This only include the actual cruise. With three aging parents around 90, this seemed important - arguing with an insurance company about whether or not the parent's "deterioration in condition" REALLY required trip cancellation could be bad, as insurance companies "always win" arguments.

We are planning to be in Europe for many more days at the same time, and will need to have similar coverage for that part of the trip,as well as for our plane tickets. The people at "insuremytrip.com" were very helpful in telling us that only two companies now give "change your mind" insurance. TravelSafe has not been very responsive to us, but MH Ross company has, and we will probably purchase with them before we pay for plane tickets or anything else.

The reason for this post is to let others know that MH Ross, (and who knows who else) will NOT do the "change your mind" option at all after a "change in company policy" on 28 February 2007. The coverage is already expensive, 50 % of the already established premium, so many may feel it foolish. But, it pays to know your options, and this one is important to us. And their $100,000 of medical coverage is certainly adequate for all but extreme situations.

As someone has already implied, "you should only insure what you cannot otherwise afford to cover yourself", so for many this is a moot point.

We, ages 65 and 55, have Amadeus reservations for Amadeus Magnificent Europe, September 22 from Amsterdam. We purchased the Amadeus insurance at the time of booking because of the "right to change your mind" option. This only include the actual cruise. With three aging parents around 90, this seemed important - arguing with an insurance company about whether or not the parent's "deterioration in condition" REALLY required trip cancellation could be bad, as insurance companies "always win" arguments.

We are planning to be in Europe for many more days at the same time, and will need to have similar coverage for that part of the trip,as well as for our plane tickets. The people at "insuremytrip.com" were very helpful in telling us that only two companies now give "change your mind" insurance. TravelSafe has not been very responsive to us, but MH Ross company has, and we will probably purchase with them before we pay for plane tickets or anything else.

The reason for this post is to let others know that MH Ross, (and who knows who else) will NOT do the "change your mind" option at all after a "change in company policy" on 28 February 2007. The coverage is already expensive, 50 % of the already established premium, so many may feel it foolish. But, it pays to know your options, and this one is important to us. And their $100,000 of medical coverage is certainly adequate for all but extreme situations.

As someone has already implied, "you should only insure what you cannot otherwise afford to cover yourself", so for many this is a moot point.

Hi Sadiebill,

I don't know if anyone has told you, but the only way you can get the "change your mind" insurance is if you insure 100% of your prepaid, non-refundable trip costs and order your policy within the deadline after you make your initial trip deposit. This applies to both TravelSafe and MH Ross.

The reason I'm telling you this is because it sounds like you already have insured your cruise part: "We purchased the Amadeus insurance at the time of booking... This only include the actual cruise."

If you are looking to cover the value of the balance of your trip, you won't be able to get their "cancel for any reason coverage" nor any pre-existing conditions coverage. You can get these, but you'll have to include the cruise's value, too.

I hope this helps.

Hi Sadiebill,

I just noticed your Location. As US expatriates in Venezuela, you are not eligible for either the TravelSafe nor MH Ross plans because you have to be living in the US or Canada when you get the plan.

So, what I said in my previous post doesn't apply to you, although I hope others find its information useful.

When you do travel, "que le vayan bien!"

And their $100,000 of medical coverage is certainly adequate for all but extreme situations.

I would check this. According to Amadeus website - it is only $10,000. It is $100,000 Air Common Carrier Accidental Death & Dismemberment.

http://amadeuswaterways.com/reservations.asp?page=tvlpro

The three replies above are perfect examples of the overwhelming detail involved in the purchase of insurance. Just think of how many people miss these important details every day. And it is difficult to blame the insurance companies as they cannot read our minds with these simple "one fits all" booking engines online. However, a skilled travel agent or insurance professional might avoid falling into these traps.

Hopefully our bretheren in this forum will be better informed as a result of this discussion. I know that I am.

I want to keep this topic alive since its so critical to many travelers. Here is my important message... If you are on Medicare please understand that Medicare gives you absolutely no coverage outside the USA (and its territories) with the only exception being for those in transit to Alaska who would get sick in Canada. Many on Medicare do have supplemental policies (Medigap, etc) and some of those might give you coverage in foreign countries. If you do not know your supplemental policy coverage call the company and, if they tell you that you have coverage, make sure you get this in writing. The cost of a major medical situation abroad can be financially devastating, so its just smart to carry appropriate insurance. Many do not realize that you do not need to buy trip cancellation insurance in order to get medical coverage. Many of the travel medical insurance policies are quite affordable and will cover all your trips for a year as opposed to higher priced trip cancellation insurance that will normally just cover a specific trip.

Hank

So Steve and Hank....the way I understand it from your informative posts...is that if I have great medical coverage already I should buy secondary coverage?

Let me explain to you my situation and see what your opinions are if you don't mind providing them.

My number one reason for travel insurance is cancellation, I have elderly parents not in good health and 3 teenage children playing sports. No one has preexisting conditons.

I usually only buy travel insurance for trips over 5,000. and it seems like all our recent trips have been well over that. I never purchase cruise line or TA insurance.

I thought primary was the easiest way to go if there was a medical emergency, because I would not have to deal with my insurance company at all. However you bring up the point that if the illness is serious or costly co-pays should be picked up by a secondary...I didn't realize that I thought I would get hit with the co-pay either way....but then when I think about dealing with my MIL and her medical bills...her secondary covers those.So am I understanding this correctly?

My sister and I recently went on a cruise she became ill and had a 1600 dollar bill from the ship...she had travelex primary, she was told by her insurance company she would of had to pay a 500. out of area co-pay. But, according to you guys if she would of had a secondary that co-pay would have been covered so the only inconvience to her would have been paper work with both companies?

My friend is on an HMO she would be covered out-of area with no co-pays or med. limits Her number one reason for insurance is cancellation....Should she just risk it and purchase no insurance at all?

One thing I do like about travel insurance is that 800 emergency line but credit cards have that too.....and how about secondary for lost luggage or travel delay? You would have to go through your credit card company first......I guess it comes down to dong your homework and matching what works the best for you. I am just happy I made the statement about primary so I received your feed back and learned something.

So as Clarence said it is good to get this info out there.

Thanks.

So Steve and Hank....the way I understand it from your informative posts...is that if I have great medical coverage already I should buy secondary coverage?

Let me explain to you my situation and see what your opinions are if you don't mind providing them.

My number one reason for travel insurance is cancellation, I have elderly parents not in good health and 3 teenage children playing sports. No one has preexisting conditons.

I usually only buy travel insurance for trips over 5,000. and it seems like all our recent trips have been well over that. I never purchase cruise line or TA insurance.

I thought primary was the easiest way to go if there was a medical emergency, because I would not have to deal with my insurance company at all. However you bring up the point that if the illness is serious or costly co-pays should be picked up by a secondary...I didn't realize that I thought I would get hit with the co-pay either way....but then when I think about dealing with my MIL and her medical bills...her secondary covers those.So am I understanding this correctly?

My sister and I recently went on a cruise she became ill and had a 1600 dollar bill from the ship...she had travelex primary, she was told by her insurance company she would of had to pay a 500. out of area co-pay. But, according to you guys if she would of had a secondary that co-pay would have been covered so the only inconvience to her would have been paper work with both companies?

My friend is on an HMO she would be covered out-of area with no co-pays or med. limits Her number one reason for insurance is cancellation....Should she just risk it and purchase no insurance at all?

One thing I do like about travel insurance is that 800 emergency line but credit cards have that too.....and how about secondary for lost luggage or travel delay? You would have to go through your credit card company first......I guess it comes down to dong your homework and matching what works the best for you. I am just happy I made the statement about primary so I received your feed back and learned something.

So as Clarence said it is good to get this info out there.

Thanks.

Hi land lover,

I like secondary medical coverage because of how it pays the deductibles & copays. Unfortunately there are a few other considerations when it comes to buying a policy and as you can imagine there isn't one plan that has all the best features.

For example, 2 companies I use with secondary medical coverage are CSA and HTH. They have some good features. One is that you can get their plan until 24 hours after you make your final payment & get pre-existing conditions covered. However, one drawback they both have is that neither of them can guarantee the hospital payment. You have to pay all the costs up front and get reimbursed when your claim is settled. This can be drawback if you have an expensive claim in another country.

The guaranteed payment is sometimes a bigger concern than supplementing a person's primary medical coverage, so we'd recommend one of our primary plans that can guarantee payment.

As for your sister's $1600 bill, if she submitted the full amount to Travelex, she should've been reimbursed the $1600.

You said: "My number one reason for travel insurance is cancellation, I have elderly parents not in good health and 3 teenage children playing sports. No one has preexisting conditions."

Since you are concerned about your elderly parents not in good health, then you probably have to pay attention to the preexisting condition rules because these rules also may apply to your non-traveling family members.

Pre-existing conditions coverage is complicated. Here's how pre-existing conditions, medically stable and the lookback period fit together:

1) Any illness, disease, or other condition (no matter how minor) existing in the lookback period is defined as a Pre-Existing Condition if it's been treated, consulted on or had a change of medication during the 60, 90 or 180 day period prior to buying the travel insurance. This is known as the Lookback Period.

A Pre-Existing Medical Condition includes any condition that has been examined, treated for, consulted with, received advice on or had symptoms of. This also includes any adjustments or changes in any prescription drugs or medication.

2) If there exists a pre-existing condition, then it has to be "medically stable". This means that the person with that pre-existing condition hasn't already taken a turn for the worse and they are able to travel when they buy the insurance. Medically Stable also means that no medical condition is known, foreseen or expected to "take a turn for the worse".

If the traveler has the pre-existing condition, they have to be able to travel when they get their travel insurance. Don't call us or order a policy if you're being treated now (and can't currently travel), yet your doctor says you'll be able to travel later. You will not be covered at all. Learn more about Medically Stable here.

3) Therefore if the person has a stable pre-existing condition, then the only way the pre-existing condition exclusion can be waived is to buy the travel insurance by the deadline. Important: Keep in mind that the pre-existing condition exclusion is being waived when you buy the travel insurance by the deadline.

As for the good companies to use, go to www.google.com and search for "trip insurance". You'll find some good comparison sites that offer reputable companies.

Good stuff, Steve. Your knowledge of insurance is a great help in understanding the intracacies of these policies.

One thing I am not quite clear on. If I buy coverage within the prescribed period and by doing so obtain waiver of pre-existing conditions does that also apply to pre-existing conditions of qualified family members NOT traveling with me? The circumstance about which I am thinking is the unexpected death of an elderly parent who has been receiving care both before and after the policy was purchased.

It would seem to me that this is the most important type of problem that most travelers would want their insurance to cover.

Good stuff, Steve. Your knowledge of insurance is a great help in understanding the intracacies of these policies.

One thing I am not quite clear on. If I buy coverage within the prescribed period and by doing so obtain waiver of pre-existing conditions does that also apply to pre-existing conditions of qualified family members NOT traveling with me? The circumstance about which I am thinking is the unexpected death of an elderly parent who has been receiving care both before and after the policy was purchased.

It would seem to me that this is the most important type of problem that most travelers would want their insurance to cover.

Thank you Clarence.

The answer is "Yes" if the non-traveling family member is subject to the Lookback Period. I'm assuming you meet all the other pre-existing condition coverage rules, too.

On the other hand, the answer is "No" if the non-traveling family member isn't subject to the Lookback Period. It wouldn't matter because if the person in question doesn't have a pre-existing condition by the definition of the policy, then there's no waiver (because it's not needed). In this example the "No" is really a "Yes".

Here's more about the Lookback Period:

The Lookback Period is a period of time prior to the policy purchase date where a medical condition is defined as a Pre-existing Condition. If the medical condition is defined as a pre-existing condition, then some policies allow you to waive that exclusion by following certain rules.

The part where you want to be sure you understand when you're concerned about any potential pre-existing condition is who the Lookback Period applies to. If the Lookback Period doesn't apply to a non-traveling family member, then a pre-existing condition doesn't exist for that person.

I hope this made sense.

Not to belabor the point but...my Description of Coverage (the insurance policy) came today in the mail so I have the exact language to which I can refer.

The insuring agreement provides that: (all capitalized words are defined in the policy - the underlining is mine)

"it will pay if you are prevented from taking or continuing your Trip due to the following Unforseen events:

a) Sickness, Accidental injury, or death of You, Your Traveling Companion, or a Family Member or Business Partner of You or Your Traveling Companion....."

Then, the Exclusions provide that

"This plan does not cover any loss caused by or resulting from

10) Pre-Existing Conditions unless the policy is purchased within 14 days of the initial deposit..."

Ah, but the devil is in the details!

The definitions say that a

27) "Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, Sickness or condition of Yourself, a Traveling Companion or You and/or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 180 day period ending on the Effective Date. Conditions are not considered pre-existing if the condition for which prescribed drugs or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription."

My reading of the policy would allow me to conclude that if I obtained waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition clause by purchasing the policy within 14 days of making my initial trip deposit that the entire issue of Pre-Existing Condition of ANYONE who is a Family Member is no longer a factor.

The "hook" that I see is the definition of the word Unforseen. "Unforseen" means not anticipated or expected and occurring after the Effective Date of the policy. Even if it is not a pre-existing condition, could it be validly argued that a parent in their 90's not suffering from a fatal disease for which they are being treated could be "anticipated" to die at any moment?

What do you think Steve?

Hi "Coral"...how was that cruise on Crystal?.........I do find this thread very infomative as well....I am beginning to wonder if I should take out travel insurance at all............:)

You are asking a very valid question, Clarence.

I think it becomes sticky when they are hospitalized..for example on our recent trip last month we were at LAX when my MIL who is in a nursing home was suddenly transferred to the hospital (they viewed it as an emergency but it was not life treating) we were unaware of the situation until we can home, but would have insurance covered this? we did have pre-existing coverage, I think if we cancelled we would have had to fight for a refund..on the other hand if she had died I think they would have refunded our trip with no problem.

Au contraire, Lori! It does matter what you think as instinct is often a good guide as to what is likely to happen. If you have the instinct that it might be a problem you will ask the right questions before plunking down your money for an insurance product that might not cover your needs!

Not to belabor the point but...my Description of Coverage (the insurance policy) came today in the mail so I have the exact language to which I can refer.

The insuring agreement provides that: (all capitalized words are defined in the policy - the underlining is mine)

"it will pay if you are prevented from taking or continuing your Trip due to the following Unforseen events:

a) Sickness, Accidental injury, or death of You, Your Traveling Companion, or a Family Member or Business Partner of You or Your Traveling Companion....."

Then, the Exclusions provide that

"This plan does not cover any loss caused by or resulting from

10) Pre-Existing Conditions unless the policy is purchased within 14 days of the initial deposit..."

Ah, but the devil is in the details!

The definitions say that a

27) "Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, Sickness or condition of Yourself, a Traveling Companion or You and/or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 180 day period ending on the Effective Date. Conditions are not considered pre-existing if the condition for which prescribed drugs or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription."

My reading of the policy would allow me to conclude that if I obtained waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition clause by purchasing the policy within 14 days of making my initial trip deposit that the entire issue of Pre-Existing Condition of ANYONE who is a Family Member is no longer a factor.

The "hook" that I see is the definition of the word Unforseen. "Unforseen" means not anticipated or expected and occurring after the Effective Date of the policy. Even if it is not a pre-existing condition, could it be validly argued that a parent in their 90's not suffering from a fatal disease for which they are being treated could be "anticipated" to die at any moment?

What do you think Steve?

Hi Clarence,

You asked, "Even if it is not a pre-existing condition, could it be validly argued that a parent in their 90's not suffering from a fatal disease for which they are being treated could be "anticipated" to die at any moment?"

No, a decent trip insurance company (imho not all are, but many are), wouldn't be allowed by the States in which they are licensed to get away with this. In your policy, as in others, everything is governed by the Lookback Period. Your policy defines its Lookback Period in #27:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you said you got the Travel Insured plan. I like Travel Insured a lot. I use them because imho they are a very straightforward and honest company. I've never had a claim go bad with them. I trust the other companies I use, too, for similar reasons.

I hope this helps.

"My reading of the policy would allow me to conclude that if I obtained waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition clause by purchasing the policy within 14 days of making my initial trip deposit that the entire issue of Pre-Existing Condition of ANYONE who is a Family Member is no longer a factor."

Thanks for your response, Steve. What is your feeling about the conclusion that I reached concerning the application of the Waiver to Family Members and how does this relate to the "Unforseen" requirement in the insuring agreement?

This may seem quite hyper-technical to those who have never been involved in a coverage dispute with an insurer but it is the thing of which law suits are made.

FYI...In the last year I have used 3 different insurances for different

Reasons...

Travelex because children are free with a paying parent.

Travel insured because they were the only company according to travel insure.com that would cover the $200. fee to put FF miles back into my accounts if I made a claim.

Travel Safe...because I was "forced" to use that with a travel agency that had a cancellation fee(long story don't ask)...it was secondary coverage...

Clarence, you make me smile, sure it matters what I think but the contract that I agreed to carries a little more weight...."I Think" :D

Thanks Steve for the feed back.

Reasons...

Travelex because children are free with a paying parent.

Travel insured because they were the only company according to travel insure.com that would cover the $200. fee to put FF miles back into my accounts if I made a claim.

Travel Safe...because I was "forced" to use that with a travel agency that had a cancellation fee(long story don't ask)...it was secondary coverage...

Clarence, you make me smile, sure it matters what I think but the contract that I agreed to carries a little more weight...."I Think" :D

Thanks Steve for the feed back.

Reasons...

Hi land lover,

Just to clarify what you were told, I know for certain that Travelex, Travel Guard, Travel Insured and Travel Safe will reimburse for the re-deposit fee if it's included in the trip cost & you cancel for a covered reason.

I just got on this thread and have a couple of comments.

First, I noticed at the begining about insurance thru Amedeus. I would never buy insurance from the tour company. Even if they are good, many times you are reimbursed in travel vouchers if you cancel. Insurance from a third party is always a no brainer.

Secondly, the main focus was on using the insuance on the trip. Last year we had a trip with GCT to Egypt. I got a muscle desease much like MS and had to cancel the trip. Travel Guard reimbursed me in total, so I was only out the insurance cost. You never know when an illness may strike.

Another point is that most companies have different levels of coverage. For an upcoming cruise, my travel agent quoted a price for an Access America policy. Looking at their website, I found a basic policy fit me better since we are driving to the port and do not need the more expensive comprehensive policy.

We have a river cruise booked for this summer. I am so glad we have pre-exising coverage just in case my condition worsens.

Dennis

Hi land lover,

Just to clarify what you were told, I know for certain that Travelex, Travel Guard, Travel Insured and Travel Safe will reimburse for the re-deposit fee if it's included in the trip cost & you cancel for a covered reason.

Does it matter what policy you select...because I talked to 3 different reps. all from insure my trip.com asking the same question: What travel insurance will cover my FF re-deposit fee....one had to check but the other two said without hesitation "with the policies we sell only Travel Insured." What is your take on that Steve?

"My reading of the policy would allow me to conclude that if I obtained waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition clause by purchasing the policy within 14 days of making my initial trip deposit that the entire issue of Pre-Existing Condition of ANYONE who is a Family Member is no longer a factor."

Thanks for your response, Steve. What is your feeling about the conclusion that I reached concerning the application of the Waiver to Family Members and how does this relate to the "Unforseen" requirement in the insuring agreement?

This may seem quite hyper-technical to those who have never been involved in a coverage dispute with an insurer but it is the thing of which law suits are made.

Hi Clarence,

Sorry about the delay posting this. Right after I answered land lover, I started getting the blank white screens & this is the 1st time I could get anything posted since then.

You are correct - the Waiver to applies to your Family Members, too because you got your policy within the deadline. And this assumes you met the other requirements (the person with the pre-ex condition's medically stable & you insured 100% of your prepaid non-refundable trip cost).

As for the "Unforeseen" requirement, that goes hand-in-hand with the idea of medically stable.

You'll find this wording in the insuring agreement:

37) "Unforeseen" means not anticipated or expected and occurring after the Effective Date of the policy.

You asked, "Even if it is not a pre-existing condition, could it be validly argued that a parent in their 90's not suffering from a fatal disease for which they are being treated could be "anticipated" to die at any moment?"

The idea of a fatal disease is key because it leads back to the medically stable concept. The most serious condition of a fatal disease is the one where the doctors are telling everyone to come & say goodbye. Under this example, it's wise to assume the insurance won't cover it (although we are often told by callers that "______ told me it'd be covered". When this happens we encourage the person to go back to whoever told them that & buy from them).

Next, you have the person with the fatal disease is in a hospice situation. I take the stance that this isn't covered either under the pre-existing waiver, although not everyone takes that stance. Ethically, I can't advise someone to get insurance when there's hospice care involved (it's not Unforeseen to me).

Next, you have the situation where people are in some kind of treatment program. This is where I find we have to try to discern what people aren't telling us. That's because another facet of "medically stable" is this:

You have to be able to travel on the day you get your travel insurance. I say, "Don't call us to order a policy if you're being treated now, and can't currently travel, yet your doctor says you'll be able to travel later. You will not be covered at all. This includes calling us from your hospital bed."

I hope this helps. If not, I can say more. :)

Does it matter what policy you select...because I talked to 3 different reps. all from insure my trip.com asking the same question: What travel insurance will cover my FF re-deposit fee....one had to check but the other two said without hesitation "with the policies we sell only Travel Insured." What is your take on that Steve?

Hi land lover,

I don't want to question their knowledge nor advice.

Here's what the Travel Safe Vacation plan's certificate says:

"Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefits: If you cancel your Trip for a covered reason, we will reimburse you, up to the amount in the Schedule for the amount of prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits that you paid for your Trip, including up to $150.00 for the cost of airline-imposed fees to rebank frequent flyer miles for air flights to join your Trip."

I hope this helps.

Archived