Credit given w/rccl air package?

mgkdk

Has anyone received a credit on their cruise when they also purchased the air package with it?

Our 3/31 cruise went down by $380pp, but TA doesn't think we'll get credit because the air was a "special" price when we purchased the package.

Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks !

Originally Posted by mgkdk viewpost.gif

Has anyone received a credit on their cruise when they also purchased the air package with it?

Our 3/31 cruise went down by $380pp, but TA doesn't think we'll get credit because the air was a "special" price when we purchased the package.

You have two of these going so I will post this on both.:D

If the cabin itself dropped in price you should get the difference. I can't see where the added on airfare should have anything to do with it. I have had air and cruise and have gotten discounts on the cabins.

Hi,

Our TA said the same thing. I'm not 100% of the details, but the idea is once your tickets are done up with the RCL airfare, you cannot change the ticket (ie in price) unless you pay the cancellation fee etc.

Also as another note. Some price drops state specifically that they are not compatible with RCL airfare. I've seen that on the promowave stuff.

Bye,

Opitus

Does that mean if I am purchasing air thru RCI the price will never go down thru RCI? I will always be stuck with that high airfare? - unless I find it cheaper and cancel the air prior to the docs? We are getting ready to book for March of 2008 and the airfare to San Juan is $650.00pp thru RCI. That is extremely high. If I find it cheaper on my own can I ask RCI to accept that price and still go thru them for everything?

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but I hope this answers it.

1. If you book RCL Airfare for $x. That is the price you get. If you find cheaper independant airfare I do not believe RCL will change their pricing on your flights. Therefore you would have to cancel your RCL air and go independant at that point.

2. If you do have RCL airfare, I believe they will honour price drops in the cabins (ie cost of cruise, not airfare) up until final payment time. After that cancellation charges occur etc.

Again from what I've read on the boards it really seems to vary depending on who you talked to that day at the cruiseline! Also many of the price drops and specials have various requirements. Sometimes you may get lucky and you can get the discount, othertimes not. It's awfully confusing, but honestly that makes it work in the cruiselines favour, in that most people will not take the time to keep looking for deals etc.

Bye,

Opitus

The price of air has nothing to do with the price of the cruise. If your cruise went down in price then you are entitled to the reduction/credit.

If your TA is telling you that RCCL is saying no to the request for a refund then have your TA do a 3 way call with you and RCCL so that you can hear RCCL say this.

Issues with price drops typically arise with TAs because the commission the TA gets paid is based on (is a percentage of) the price of the cruise.

TAs dont want to get you a price reduction because that means a smaller commission for them.

I dont know if all of this applies if you are in the "after final payment" period. But I know for certain that, if you are in the "before final payment" period, you are 100% entitled to a refund if the price of your cruise went down.

If you cant swing this then make sure you never use this TA again!

Same thing happened to us when we booked a cruise/air package to Hawaii. I forgot why, but your TA is telling the truth.

kasualkathy - Do not book your air to San Juan with RCCL! You can find a better price because you are more than a year away from your cruise. Also, get air to fly in a day before your cruise.

PS - I just remember that it has something to do with a "special package" that you bought, which includes the air. If you choose to take "another" special, then you lose the previous "special" (that included that air.)

True.

The new price (actually fare code) is not combinable with cruiseline air. Or, and this often happens, the cruisefare and air are bundled with the cruisefare subsidizing the airfare. You refare the cruise portion and the air shoots up. And because you are within air cancellation penalties.........argh....... you don't want to go there.

The other posts that said you can't get the reduction are correct. You are within final payment and your RCCL airfare is linked with your cruise fare. We had several people on the Hawaii cruise that were unable to take advantage of late price drops because they had cruise line air. This is especially true if you have one of the $99 air add ons, you can't change your cruise fare and keep the air special. We book air independently. :)

The only way we got a credit was when we cancelled our "custom air" thru RCI and booked our own flights (they screwed everything up !! )

That said..... we did not save any money..... paid about the same for our own flights BUT WE GOT MUCH BETTER ONES WITH ONLY ONE CONNECTION AND IT DIDNT GET US INTO SAN JUAN AT MIDNIGHT !!!

We paid @730.00 PER PERSON from Corpus Christi Texas to San Juan (via Dallas). This was more than we paid for the balcony cabin. So 650.00 sounds good :o

The other posts that said you can't get the reduction are correct. You are within final payment and your RCCL airfare is linked with your cruise fare. We had several people on the Hawaii cruise that were unable to take advantage of late price drops because they had cruise line air. This is especially true if you have one of the $99 air add ons, you can't change your cruise fare and keep the air special. We book air independently. :)

This happened to us just once on our Celebrity cruise from Hawaii in 2004. We got cruiseline air (always check:) ) for $300 from Dallas to Honolulu and San Diego back to Dallas........couldn't be touched independently by anyone.........not even close.........we tried to upgrade our cabin and couldn't even do that since the airfare was tied to concierge class cabins........IF......and we don't know, if you got a promotional fare.......chances are you can not change your air without sometimes a dramtic increase in cruiseline air costs.

Archived