Evertything we know about Journey & Quest

florisdekort

Charles4515,

We don't really know if the butler is the same person, it is just inference since it does not seem likely on a small ship like Journey that they can add and house extra crew.

What I would like to know is what does a butler do on a cruise ship when you are in a small balcony or outside or inside cabin? i can seem some use in suites but what extra would a butler do in a small cabin on a Bermuda cruise for example?

It depends upon the wishes of the passengers who occupy the cabin. If you decide to dine in your cabin, for example, a butler would set the table, serve the meal one course at a time, and clean up when you finish. This also applies to afternoon tea. If you have friends to your cabin for beverages before dinner, the butler would serve canapes (for an extra fee, of course). And on must ships that have them, butlers look after shoe shines, fetch tickets for shore excursions, and take care of other errands of a similar nature.

Norm.

Charles4515,

It depends upon the wishes of the passengers who occupy the cabin. If you decide to dine in your cabin, for example, a butler would set the table, serve the meal one course at a time, and clean up when you finish. This also applies to afternoon tea. If you have friends to your cabin for beverages before dinner, the butler would serve canapes (for an extra fee, of course). And on must ships that have them, butlers look after shoe shines, fetch tickets for shore excursions, and take care of other errands of a similar nature.

Norm.

If you have a large cabin I can see the use of that but suppose you have an inside or outside cabin? I can't see having a full course dinner in the cabin. Or a party in the cabin. It seems like a waste to have a butler in those cabins. I can't think of any errands either for a butler. And I don't do shore excursions. Afternoon tea I would prefer in a social setting with musicians playing and white glove service. I am feeling that a butler would be a waste for someone like me. Please folks, seriously think of something I could use a butler for!!! I'd hate to pay for a butler and not use him!

Charles4515,

If you have a large cabin I can see the use of that but suppose you have an inside or outside cabin? I can't see having a full course dinner in the cabin. Or a party in the cabin. It seems like a waste to have a butler in those cabins. I can't think of any errands either for a butler. And I don't do shore excursions. Afternoon tea I would prefer in a social setting with musicians playing and white glove service. I am feeling that a butler would be a waste for someone like me. Please folks, seriously think of something I could use a butler for!!! I'd hate to pay for a butler and not use him!

I agree at all with your take. Indeed, I think that Celebrity is trying an experiment to see how passengers respond to it. If there's a lot of feedback from passengers in standard cabins saying that they would prefer not to have the butler service -- or, for that matter, if they don't bother to tip the butlers that they never actually use -- the butlers in those cabns will quietly go away at the end of the first season.

Norm.

Having been on the Nautica (a former Big Ren now operated by Oceania), I can imagine the Journey and its sister will find a ready market. There are many, many people who cruise because they like being on ships in the ocean! There are people like me who think port stops are a waste of valuable down time! There are people who don't want to sit at the same table at the same time with the same people night after night after night and spend 2 hours eating pretty but boring food. There are people who have spent (or are spending) most of their waking hours in high-heels or with a noose (tie) around their necks and vacation is one place these clothing items can be discarded. Everyone cruises for a different reason - I want nice surroundings, quiet and sophisticated decor, decent food, and little else. I do not want hordes, assigned seating, dressy wardrobes, crowded cabins, and endless attempts to separate me from my money. The Big Rens are a way for those cruisers who have always done a mass market trip to see why some of us run screaming from the big ships straight aboard the little guys (Windstar, in particular for us). We are giving the Journey a try in the fall but think it will be successful only if folks leave their 'big ship' ideas ashore and go aboard thinking they are spending their vacation in an upmarket, yet understated, resort which just so happens to float!!

There are people like me who think port stops are a waste of valuable down time! There are people who don't want to sit at the same table at the same time with the same people night after night after night and spend 2 hours eating pretty but boring food.

In a way I agree with you -- I would add another group -- people who are hoping the Expedition Class ships will be exploring some new locations(ports),

After all, if you want down time you do not have to get off ship and the ship is the quietest when in port. We have sailed with couples who never got off the ship for that reason.

In our case we get off in some ports only few hours just to walk around for for awhile.

Ray

hybrn8,

Having been on the Nautica (a former Big Ren now operated by Oceania), I can imagine the Journey and its sister will find a ready market. There are many, many people who cruise because they like being on ships in the ocean! There are people like me who think port stops are a waste of valuable down time! There are people who don't want to sit at the same table at the same time with the same people night after night after night and spend 2 hours eating pretty but boring food. There are people who have spent (or are spending) most of their waking hours in high-heels or with a noose (tie) around their necks and vacation is one place these clothing items can be discarded. Everyone cruises for a different reason - I want nice surroundings, quiet and sophisticated decor, decent food, and little else. I do not want hordes, assigned seating, dressy wardrobes, crowded cabins, and endless attempts to separate me from my money. The Big Rens are a way for those cruisers who have always done a mass market trip to see why some of us run screaming from the big ships straight aboard the little guys (Windstar, in particular for us). We are giving the Journey a try in the fall but think it will be successful only if folks leave their 'big ship' ideas ashore and go aboard thinking they are spending their vacation in an upmarket, yet understated, resort which just so happens to float!!

I agree completely. The cruise market is far from homogenous, so it is absolutely impossible for one product to satisfy everybody.

>> There are people who don't have much chance to dress up at home and thus relish dressing up for the evening more nights than not on a cruise. Conversely, there are folks who have to dress up for work and look forward to wearing casual attire on vacation. And there are folks in between, who like two or three "formal" evenings with "casual" attire the rest of the time. And there are folks to whom "casual" evening attire means shirt with collar and slacks and folks who would prefer to wear shorts and "T" shirts.

>> There are folks who cherish a lot of days at sea and folks who cherish a lot of ports of call and folks who prefer a 50/50 split.

>> There are folks who like the traditional dining arrangement with assigned first and second seatings and folks who prefer open seating for dinner.

>> There are folks who want to bring their children on a cruise and folks who are terrified at the thought of children being on a cruise.

We could go on, but I think that these examples make the point. The issue of days at sea verses days in port does not stir up much conflict because the cruise lines publish itineraries and the customers choose whichever they prefer when they book. On the remaining issues, efforts to satisfy people on both sides on the same cruise generally have not satisified either. The better solution would be for all of the major cruise companies to use these areas to differentiate their cruise lines, so that the branding of the various lines would provide instant recognition of these aspects of the product and, again, let the customers choose which they prefer. I think that Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Celebrity's parent company, could split the present Royal Caribbean International fleet into two lines -- one that would retain the present product and another that would be "all casual." And Carnival Corporation and Carnival Plc. could do even greater differentiation between thier various cruise lines.

Norm.

I agree with most of what you said but no way I am leaving my heels at home!:) While formal nights are no deal breaker to me, I do prefer a crowd that is nicely dressed at dinner and does not feel it a burden to do so. I have found that atmosphere on Regent and hope that X can do the same.

I much prefer small ships over large and enjoy the adult, low key, atmosphere aboard. I think this and and the open dining will be a huge plus for these ships as there are few options these days for that particular experience.

It will be interesting to see what RCI's plan is long term for X. I do not think cruise lines who try to be all things to all people will ultimately be successful. Personally, I like consistency in hotels, cruise lines, etc. I want to know that I will be getting what I expect when plucking down my money.

RCI clearly went the route of family oriented, activity rich, and massive ships and that is where they play well. With those decisions and the downgrades in food and service, they pushed away cruisers like me looking for a more sophisticated experience.

If I had my druthers, they would flag the Solstice ships as RCI vessels and restore X to what it once way and still is, though not consistently.

Caviargirl, it sounds like you are the perfect candidate for the Journey and Quest or even Oceania!!

Jan

I intend to try them all, when time permits.:D Probably Oceania first, as I paying extra for the specialty dining does not seem very upscale to me! Especially at those rates.

I intend to try them all, when time permits.:D Probably Oceania first, as I paying extra for the specialty dining does not seem very upscale to me! Especially at those rates.

Does Oceania charge for specialty dining?

There is hope that the rates for Journey will come down. The rates for the fall seem to have fallen somewhat.

People who register for Suites will get (1?) complimentary dinner at a Specialty restaurant. Otherwise, it appears they are going to charge for it.

The new brochure they have for this class of ships states

Reservation are required for specialy restaurants and a $30 cover charge will apply :(

Also I agree in that I have heard speciality restaurants will be a Lobster and Steak and an Italian :) The floor plan in the new brochure shows them on the deck 10.

Ray

There is hope that the rates for Journey will come down. The rates for the fall seem to have fallen somewhat.

My TA got some type of reduction of $300/PP or $600 after we booked w/Celebrity air. Not sure what it was for, but it come down $600. :D

Ray

My TA got some type of reduction of $300/PP or $600 after we booked w/Celebrity air. Not sure what it was for, but it come down $600. :D

Ray

The original prices were out of the range of what I was willing to pay and was used to paying for a Bermuda cruise but I was able to get a deal that was reasonable and less than those original prices.

The new brochure they have for this class of ships states

Reservation are required for specialy restaurants and a $30 cover charge will apply :(

Also I agree in that I have heard speciality restaurants will be a Lobster and Steak and an Italian :) The floor plan in the new brochure shows them on the deck 10.

Ray

I'll have to get that new brochure. $30 is at the high end for specialty restaurants.

I just hope they have the waffles :)

Charles4515,

I'll have to get that new brochure. $30 is at the high end for specialty restaurants.

Yes, bu the type of restaurant does justify the price. Celebrity's specialty restaurants are REALLY upscale, with fully synchronized service and many tableside preparations.

I just hope they have the waffles :)

They do, but not in the specialty restaurant!

Norm.

If Celebrity is going to copy Oceania why don't they go all the way and make the specialty restaurants price inclusive but reservations only? What market advatage does Celebrity gain from this approach other than stemming Celebrity pax defections to Oceania (which may be the purpose)?

If Celebrity is going to copy Oceania why don't they go all the way and make the specialty restaurants price inclusive but reservations only? What market advatage does Celebrity gain from this approach other than stemming Celebrity pax defections to Oceania (which may be the purpose)?

I dont think we have prices for 2008 yet, but when we do I think that there may be directly comparable Celebrity & Oceania cruises in the Med, and we'll be able to see how the brochure prices compare. My expectation is that Celebrity's brochure prices will be lower, but with extras; Oceania's will be higher but with more included.

I dont think we have prices for 2008 yet, but when we do I think that there may be directly comparable Celebrity & Oceania cruises in the Med, and we'll be able to see how the brochure prices compare. My expectation is that Celebrity's brochure prices will be lower, but with extras; Oceania's will be higher but with more included.

The South America 2008 cruise prices are out and they are definitely less expensive then Oceania. I too was originally unhappy about the extra cost of the specialty restaurant. But then I thought this gives people options. If they want to watch their budget closer they can avoid using the specialty restaurants. If not, the cruise price won't really be more than Oceania's.

Archived