Evertything we know about Journey & Quest

florisdekort

and another gratuity question...if the Journey is open seating with different servers potentially each night, how do you give the waiter the gratuity - each meal?

I can only tell you how it is done on Oceania and I am assuming it will be done the same on X..at the end of the cruise a total amount..(on O it is $11.50 per day per person) is posted to your account..you can add to it, take off of it or not pay it (boo) Stu and I always give special people an extra few dollars.., the amount you pay is then divided among the crew..

Hope this helps..

Jan

Fresh cut flowers daily?

Are they going to accumulate enough flowers in each cabin by the end of the cruise that it looks like a flower shop? Or throw out the previous day's flowers every day?

How many flowers will they have to keep on board to supply new ones to every cabin on a daily basis?

It probably will be one carnation that sits all week in it's little vase until it wilts and you throw it away.

I wonder if they got a raise in pay?:p

No pay raise, I bet. Poor guys.

Just new name tags. The little tarnished brass sign on the desk in your cabin will say:

Your butler's name is:

Jeeves

Lurch

Cadbury

Alfred

Mr. French

Kryten

Cato

Mr. Hudson

or one of the above :D

We sailed two cruises with the old Renaissance Line and loved the "country club casual" dining they had. Men could certainly wear a sports coat at dinner if they wanted but most men just wore "golf" type shirts.

We've booked a South American cruise on the Journey for next November and am thrilled we will not be packing a suit/dress shirts and ties.

I don't want to make this a "dress thread" but for the record, let your itinerary help determine you "formal" attire. On the South American/Antarctic cruise for example, everywhere you go go is extremely casual with the exception of two cosmopolitan cities, Santiago and Buenos Aires and you will be off-ship for those two ports so there is no need for formal wear. On the other hand, if you were sailing a TransAtlantic or even a med cruise with a large European cliental tuxes would be appropriate as "they" love to dress up!

Same holds true on a Western Caribbean Cruise-more "casual ports" therefore more casual dress. And again, Alaska is more casual than say, a transPacific cruise.

I don't want to make this a "dress thread" but for the record, let your itinerary help determine you "formal" attire. On the South American/Antarctic cruise for example, everywhere you go go is extremely casual with the exception of two cosmopolitan cities, Santiago and Buenos Aires and you will be off-ship for those two ports so there is no need for formal wear. On the other hand, if you were sailing a TransAtlantic or even a med cruise with a large European cliental tuxes would be appropriate as "they" love to dress up!

Same holds true on a Western Caribbean Cruise-more "casual ports" therefore more casual dress. And again, Alaska is more casual than say, a transPacific cruise.

The dress code is not port dependent. I cannot imagine wearing a tux for any night on a cruise that is country club casual.

My TA just sent me the new Celebrity book.

First read through found the following.

All staterooms have Butler service -- shoe shine service & etc that you get with CC class.

Suites have all stardard CC plus Priority Check in, departure, luggage delivery, shore excursion booking, and so on. Also one night of complimentary dining restaurant and VIP invitations.

Reservation are required for specialy restaurants and a $30 cover charge will apply

GRATUITIES --

WAITER $3.50

ASSISTANT WAITER $2.00

ASSISTANT MAITRE D' $0.75

BUTLER $3.50

STATEROOM SERVICE CONCIEGE CLASS SM (??) $4.00

STATEROOM SERVICE $3.50

ASSISTANT CHIEF HOUSEKEEPER $0.75

This book will take some study as Xpedition (ship) in mixed into the back small print section!!!!

Ray

The price on the So America trip appears to be going up, not down. We booked a veranda room the first week January. Last week the cost was advertised as $50 more per person. Now Celebrity is advertising it as $100 more per person than what we paid in January. I think since the ship is new to them, they are just now figuring out all their costs.

My TA just sent me the new Celebrity book.

GRATUITIES --

WAITER $3.50

ASSISTANT WAITER $2.00

BUTLER $3.50

STATEROOM SERVICE $3.50

Ray

Does this mean that now gratuities are going to cost an extra $3.50/day/person over normal gratuity costs on other ships whether you use the butler service or not?

Does this mean that now gratuities are going to cost an extra $3.50/day/person over normal gratuity costs on other ships whether you use the butler service or not?

It might there are no details in brochure in the back.

Ray

Second go through

Staterooms -- free bottle of Evian Water while SS suites up get a welcome champagane (? bottle ?)

Suites also have complimentary garment pressing.

Stateroom sizes

PS -- 603 SQ/FT VERNADA 215 SQ/FT

RS -- 538 SQ/FT VERNADA 173 SQ/FT

SS -- 323 SQ/FT VERNADA 57 SQ/FT

SV -- 215 SQ/FT VERNADA 54 SQ/FT

1A & 2A -- 215 SQ/FT VERNADA 38 SQ/FT

04, 05, 06, 07, & 08 OCEAN VIEW -- 161 SQ/FT

09, 10, 11, & 12 INSIDE -- 151 SQ/FT

Suites SS and above have DVD/CD player

All staterooms have flat screen TV

Specialty Restaurants are on deck 10 AFT

Ray

pvmeistrel,

No. Rather, it means that Celebrity is introducing a new brand (or "subbrand" as the parent company's press release calls it) named "Celebrity Expeditions" as distinct from "Celebrity Cruises." MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest will join MV Celebrity Xpedition" in the "Celebrity Expeditions" fleet.

The "Celebrity Expeditions" brand will retain many signature elements of the "Celebrity Cruises" brand, such as Cova Cafe di Milano, Michael's Club, AquaSpa by Elemis, and Celebrity@Sea, but there will also be some clear differences between the two brands. The "Celebrity Expeditions" brand will have premium service, with butlers in all cabins and open seating in the main dining room, but will not have "formal" or "informal" evenings (all evenings are "casual") or children's, youth, and teen centers, for example.

Norm.

Second go through

Staterooms -- free bottle of Evian Water while SS suites up get a welcome champagane (? bottle ?)

Stateroom sizes

PS -- 603 SQ/FT VERNADA 215 SQ/FT

RS -- 538 SQ/FT VERNADA 173 SQ/FT

SS -- 323 SQ/FT VERNADA 57 SQ/FT

SV -- 215 SQ/FT VERNADA 54 SQ/FT

1A & 2A -- 215 SQ/FT VERNADA 38 SQ/FT

The square footages above are misleading..starting with the SS the 323 is including the veranda, as is the SV etc.

Jan

Second go through

Staterooms -- free bottle of Evian Water while SS suites up get a welcome champagne (? bottle ?)

Stateroom sizes

PS -- 603 SQ/FT VERANDA 215 SQ/FT

RS -- 538 SQ/FT VERANDA 173 SQ/FT

SS -- 323 SQ/FT VERANDA 57 SQ/FT

SV -- 215 SQ/FT VERANDA 54 SQ/FT

1A & 2A -- 215 SQ/FT VERANDA 38 SQ/FT

The square footages above are misleading..starting with the SS the 323 is including the veranda, as is the SV etc.

Jan

You could be right from what I have seen from other threads & web sites.

The pages 46 & 47 show the same drawing that I have seen in other sites -- they list it above the drawing Stateroom XXX sq/ft then state Veranda XXX sq/ft

You would think someone would point out their error in stating it the way they do.

Along the same line in the front (As Sue reported) with all the nice pictures they state men "ties & sport coats are not required" and women "evening gowns and heels best left at home"

However in the back small print area (page 65) under ATTIRE they state -- Casual --Men: Sport shirt & slacks -- Women: dress, pantsuit or sporty outfit and under Informal Men: Jacket & slacks -- Women: informal dress or pants & blouse

They also say it is 50-50 as to Casual & informal nights on a cruise.

Men I guess if cruise is in warm area don't bring Jacket if in cold area bring jacket?? :rolleyes: ;) and women you must wear not wear high heels even with a nice dress? :confused: :rolleyes:

Ray

Rick

My DW and I used to cruise on these ships when they were owned by Renaissance, and loved them. They are our favorites and we look forward to sailing on them again with Celebrity.

I think that Celebrity has not thought everything thru........and once they have some sailings under their belt, so to speak, changes will be made to truly make this a better than average experience.

Your point that changes are likely when Celebrity gets feedback from passengers is on the mark, but I'm not sure which way it will go. It's clear that Celebrity is differentiating both of these ships from the "Celebrity Cruises" fleet in a big way and intends to deploy these ships on longer itineraries to more "exotic" destinations. The initial plan seems to be more "upscale" but more casual, consistent with the current product aboard MY Celebrity Xpedition, but that may or may not prove to be the right mix. I suspect that veteran cruisers will perfer a more traditional dining arrangement with fixed seating, for example, even if they tilt toward the all "casual" dress code. Also, Celebrity seems to think that the "Celebrity Expeditions" itineraries will not draw as many children, youth, and teens and thus is not planning to create dedicated facilities for such programs aboard these vessels. But if a significant number of families cruise on these vessels with some frequency, it would make sense to create appropriate facilities somewhere. In two or three years, these ships may well have two seatings with assigned tables, one very upscale specialty restaurant (remodeled to be like the specialty restaurants on the Millennium class), and children's, youth, and teen centers if that turns out to be where the demand lies.

Norm.

Norm.

Rick

Your point that changes are likely when Celebrity gets feedback from passengers is on the mark, but I'm not sure which way it will go. It's clear that Celebrity is differentiating both of these ships from the "Celebrity Cruises" fleet in a big way and intends to deploy these ships on longer itineraries to more "exotic" destinations. The initial plan seems to be more "upscale" but more casual, consistent with the current product aboard MY Celebrity Xpedition, but that may or may not prove to be the right mix. I suspect that veteran cruisers will perfer a more traditional dining arrangement with fixed seating, for example, even if they tilt toward the all "casual" dress code. Also, Celebrity seems to think that the "Celebrity Expeditions" itineraries will not draw as many children, youth, and teens and thus is not planning to create dedicated facilities for such programs aboard these vessels. But if a significant number of families cruise on these vessels with some frequency, it would make sense to create appropriate facilities somewhere. In two or three years, these ships may well have two seatings with assigned tables, one very upscale specialty restaurant (remodeled to be like the specialty restaurants on the Millennium class), and children's, youth, and teen centers if that turns out to be where the demand lies.

Norm.

I believe that X is looking to attract a different passenger than the big ships they have now and will not change at least for several years (if they do at all) ..I also have a feeling that they may be succsessful in what they are attempting as Oceania is hard to get on to because they are always sold out and the demand is there..and the overflow passengers are looking for a smaller ship with exotic destinations..imho

Jan

pvmeistrel -- I believe that the BUTLER actually replaced the ROOM STEWARD, so it's not really about chosing to use the butler or not - it's not an extra person just the "old person" with the new title. At least that is what I understand from posts. I thought the Butler was an extra person, too!

Does anyone know what they mean by STATEROOM SERVICE CONCIEGE CLASS SM which they list under GRATUITIES

Ray

Maybe I can answer my own question

Journey GRATUITIES --

WAITER $3.50

ASSISTANT WAITER $2.00

BUTLER $3.50

STATEROOM SERVICE $3.50

Normal Celebrity

Waiters same $$$

BUTLER (SUITES ONLY) -- $3.50

STATEROOM ATTENDANT CONCIEGE CLASS -- $4.00

STATEROOM ATTENDANT -- $3.50

ASSISTANT CHIEF HOUSEKEEPER -- $0.75

They are the same -- I am guessing they are going to have the same people doing the same thing they have always done with different names (? Butler ?) They also say all staterooms are Conciege class? which means (I think) even inside stateroom would pay Conciege class $4.00 and there would not be a "attendent" @ $3.50

Ray

They also say all staterooms are Conciege class? which means (I think) even inside stateroom would pay Conciege class $4.00 and there would not be a "attendent" @ $3.50

Ray

Does this mean everyone get two cruise credits for each sailing, because all staterooms are Concierge Class? Just a thought.

pvmeistrel -- I believe that the BUTLER actually replaced the ROOM STEWARD, so it's not really about chosing to use the butler or not - it's not an extra person just the "old person" with the new title. At least that is what I understand from posts. I thought the Butler was an extra person, too!

We don't really know if the butler is the same person, it is just inference since it does not seem likely on a small ship like Journey that they can add and house extra crew.

What I would like to know is what does a butler do on a cruise ship when you are in a small balcony or outside or inside cabin? i can seem some use in suites but what extra would a butler do in a small cabin on a Bermuda cruise for example?

We don't really know if the butler is the same person, it is just inference since it does not seem likely on a small ship like Journey that they can add and house extra crew.

What I would like to know is what does a butler do on a cruise ship when you are in a small balcony or outside or inside cabin? i can seem some use in suites but what extra would a butler do in a small cabin on a Bermuda cruise for example?

The only thing that he/she could do other then the things they (Room Stewart) do now would be make reservations for dinners in the dining room and for excursions?

It does say they also have shoe-shine service, welcome fruit basket, stationary, pillow menu, tote bag (the better tan one?), and up graded bedding -- the things that CC got.

Extra Points good question.

Ray

FranYAlice,

No, the butler is very definitely in addition to the cabin steward. The two services compliment one another. The cabin steward is still responsible for cleaning and making up the cabin. The butler serves meals a course at a time if one chooses to dine in one's cabin, serves canapes if one hosts friends for cocktails, fetches tour tickets, etc. The butler does NOT clean the cabin, make the beds, etc.

Norm.

Archived