Tables for two

I cant imagine why anyone would want a table for two. I have that every night and as much as I love my DH, I really enjoy the company of many new friends on a cruise. Hearing what everyone has done, where they have gone, etc. is welcomed information and we have met some incredible people that we have really enjoyed.

I cant imagine why anyone would want a table for two. I have that every night and as much as I love my DH, I really enjoy the company of many new friends on a cruise. Hearing what everyone has done, where they have gone, etc. is welcomed information and we have met some incredible people that we have really enjoyed.

Lemmee help ya...imagine your hubby being home 3-5 nights a month for 9 months out of the year at least. Now imagine a table for 2! ;)

After cruising for over 30 years, and sharing our dinner time with strangers on cruise ships, and dealing with all varieties of good, bad, and ugly, now we absolutely will always want a table for two. And, we've been getting them for about 10 years now.

Request in advance, go when you get on board, show up with the maitre d' at the appropriate time and place (ask in the dining room when you go check your table), be nice, tell him you requested it when you reserved the cruise and can't figure out why you are sitting at a table for 12!!!!!

They have literally made tables for us, put us next to the railing looking down on the next level of dinners (best spot), almost under the staircase, against the back wall, window table for four with no one else there; just be flexible about the location.

Like I said: 10 years; it absolutely can be done.

Just because you get the company of your DH at dinner every night doesn't mean that everyone else is in the same situation. Like many people, my husband and I work shifts and don't always get to enjoy meals alone together.

On our last cruise we did not enjoy our tablemates. There was a huge communication barrier (they were from Europe and spoke very little English). After the second night, we never saw them again. We ended up having the table alone and found our dining room experience to be much more enjoyable.

So far we've lucked out on out dinner tablemates. :o Wonderful people from all over the world! We've made good friends with some of them.

Lunch, however, is another story. :( The last time I allowed us to sit at a 12 person table was the "ultimate" last. I listened to the guy next to me rant and rave over ther "louzy tuna" and his girl friend complain about their love life. My DH sat nest to a mother/son that were the most bland, boring people I've ever been on a cruise. with. Please don't flame me. I like everyone, from whereever, that believe whatever, and look like whatever. Just please don't be BORING. Major groan.:eek:

Now at lunch in the dining room we always request a table for two. Dinner is usually a breath of fresh air. However, if we ever get the tablemates from hell we 'll do a hasty retreat.:cool:

I guess to each their own. MY boyfriend and I are taking this cruise to spend a week together. We live very far from each other and don't get to see each other that often. A table for 2 is paradise for us :) I will make sure I do the requesting in a nice way and hopefully will get what we want :)

Hubby and I reserve tables for two. We don't dine with strangers in land restaurants and don't care to at sea either.

Mind you, I said we reserve a table for two, but have never had one except on our first cruise, perhaps because we also reserve early dining. So what we do when the maitre d' cannot accommodate us, is we eat in Chops and Portofinos or the Windjammer and doing so is a really great option and much more flexible than being locked into a specific seating.

we agree with Peggy; after more than 30 years of cruising, we dont need any more banal, inane conversations at dinner which are, too often, "bitch"sessions about what others don't like or what is wrong. Frankly, I could care less about who did what on their shore excursion that day. I choose not to have my enjoyable day ruined by someone complaining. The way to avoid that is a table for 2 which always manage to get by reserving early and checking with the maitre'd as soon as am on board. There is plenty of opportunity during non-meal times to socialize with others, and if I get stuck with a complainer, I can walk away and avoid them in the future. We do not have that luxury at a dining table.

Thanks for all of this advice! My boyfriend and I have reserved a table for two, and if we don't get it initially, we hope to work it out! :)

Technically, you've requested a table for two. They do not take specific reservations or make guarantees. You have the right attitude about it; if you aren't assigned one, then see what you can do to work it out.

And I can't imagine why anyone would want to sit with a bunch of strangers at a 2 hour dinner every night, but I never chide them for it. It drives me nuts when someone asks about tables for two and gets leaped on by a bunch of other members for "missing out on one of the best parts of cruising" or any number of other "you are wrong for wanting a table for two" responses. It's a personal preference. How about we stop telling others what they should or should not like?

beachchick

Good Post, beachchick. I had the same thoughts. I personally like the big table and meeting new people, but some folks do not share my preference and I can appeciate that. " Different strokes for different folks" or "whatever floats your boat" (ship!!!). Do you like my "nautical" analogies?

Why is it that someone asks a question and get's a bunch of judgemental advice.

The questions was IS IT POSSIBLE...not I need your advice what do you think?

By the way....the "threeofus" always sit at our own table. I enjoy meeting people - but have never been a fan of being set up on a family blind date which is what the cruise ship essentially does.:eek:

Lemmee help ya...imagine your hubby being home 3-5 nights a month for 9 months out of the year at least. Now imagine a table for 2! ;)

I hear you! My husband and I live in different countries, so we always ask for a 2-top.

We have cruised on the Navigator and Explorer and both times got our table for 2. I'm not sure if it helps that we book fairly far in advance (1 + year) or if it is just luck. We also always sail for our anniversary, which is listed on our reservation, so perhaps that helps too?

Good luck!

Archived