Just got back, Princess Cpt circle URGENT

papaglock

:oWe just returned from the Western Caribbean cruise on the Grand. It was one of the best cruises we have had with Princess.

The only REAL issue is a biggie. We are Platinum Members. Internet was free which is awesome having a business with 75 employees back at home. We were told that Princess is changing the only REAL value of being at the Platinum level. Starting in April, you will only get 150 minutes on a 7 day cruise.

It may not sound like a big deal but if you have cruised and needed to Internet for whatever reason, it adds up fast! Just a quick check of your email can easily be $10.

I would love for all Princess cruisers, regardless of level, email Princess and express your feelings about this cut. My wife and I really looked forward to making Platinum and the free Internet was a big reason. Now that we are there, they are going to cut this program back.

We spoke to a upper level manager on the ship and she was very irritated with Princess for doing this. There is no extra cost for usage for the satellite based Internet. I have installed these systems and once set up, whether 1 or 20 people use it, the cost is the same.

Please, email Princess and let them know how you feel about thins or they will continue to strip what few benefits are available for being a loyal repeat cruiser.

Thanks!!

Papa

Princess is putting a cap on platinum internet usage not just due to cost, but also due to those with free internet monopolizing the limited number of terminals for long periods of time. At least thats what I've been told.

Not sure how much time you need/want to be on email beyond the 2.5 hrs they're giving you gratis -- but at Princess' really reasonable rate of 35c per minute, you could do an hour per day on a 7 day cruise (an extra 4.5 hrs total on top of your 2.5 hrs free) for about $75. Not a huge deal.

Princess is putting a cap on platinum internet usage not just due to cost, but also due to those with free internet monopolizing the limited number of terminals for long periods of time. At least thats what I've been told.

Not sure how much time you need/want to be on email beyond the 2.5 hrs they're giving you gratis -- but at Princess' really reasonable rate of 35c per minute, you could do an hour per day on a 7 day cruise (an extra 4.5 hrs total on top of your 2.5 hrs free) for about $75. Not a huge deal.

The rate is not .35c a minute but .75c a minute

Besides that, you are supposed to be on a vacation for goodness sakes! What did you do before there was internet? The Princess mantra is "Escape" and you are hardly doing that. I have 200 hundred people back there and if I couldn't leave without having to check in with them every day or worry about the place falling apart, then I have the wrong people and I suck as a manager.

The big issue for Princess and for it's passengers is the whole internet thing has been abused by people getting online and chatting with the folks back home, reading mindless email, and other stuff that could certainly wait until they returned home. It is granted that there are certain communications that need attention and those should be dealt with, but as a practice it has been over used.

If there is an emergency, those needing to reach you can in a timely fashion by sending an email to the ship to your attention and you can deal with that as you need to. But until then.....have a rest.

It would be nice if Princess were willing to compromise. What if the platinum members got one free hour a day on the ship computers, but unlimited wifi if they bring their own laptop? Wouldn't this solve everyone's dilemma?

From a revenue standpoint, I can see where Princess is trying to free up some of their computers from platinum members who may opt to sit on a computer all day long while not allowing other passengers the opportunity to pay that fabulously low (cough, cough) price of 75 cents per minute.

Personally, if I had platinum status, I would much rather bring my own laptop for the completely free internet service. I think the free internet service is the greatest perk they offered, and I'd be willing to drag my own laptop along on a cruise in order to keep it.

Personally, if I had platinum status, I would much rather bring my own laptop for the completely free internet service. I think the free internet service is the greatest perk they offered, and I'd be willing to drag my own laptop along on a cruise in order to keep it.

Laptop internet usage onboard isn't free. Not sure where you got this information.

Not sure why some people think they have the right to tell others how to spend their time on vacation, how to run there business or which emails they should or should not read while on vacation:confused: :confused: :confused:

AMEN TO THAT- stuff like that makes people not willing to post and really puts a damper on some great conversations.

Here is my two cents. Of course I would love to be online on the ship for free, who wouldnt?? It WAS a biggie, the reason for cruising more with Princess than other cruise lines...to get this benefit.

Im assuming there are two folks in the cabin, both of whom have $75 worth of internet in the new perks...so if its your business, your spouse would probably be willing to pool her time so you got $150 worth.

Also, as you just got back on the Grand. Iv done the same cruise and I can tell you internet cafes are pretty cheap if you NEED to be online so much, instead of doing an excursion, go to an internet cafe. The one in Honduras port was Air conditioned and I think $3 for an hour and we were told we could stay on longer for free. The one in Cozumel was $2/hour. On another ship which stopped in Progresso, $1 for an hour and again they said I could stay on for hours if I wanted and not pay extra.

You can get plenty of internet time on that cruise for not much $ if you really need it that bad.

Internet usage is certainly going up and if Princess does not step in to limit it somewhat, they will have to build bigger and bigger internet rooms for us computer junkies (yes, I admit to being addicted).

Instead of fighting, sometimes the time is better spent to me to finding other ways around the problem. Sorry, hope your letter campaign works though, but Im not joining in.

It would be nice if Princess were willing to compromise. What if the platinum members got one free hour a day on the ship computers, but unlimited wifi if they bring their own laptop? Wouldn't this solve everyone's dilemma?

I wish they would implement this. I bought a laptop just for cruising and now find out how much wifi is from the ship, yikes. It should be cheaper to me to use your own computer, I agree.

:oWe just returned from the Western Caribbean cruise on the Grand. It was one of the best cruises we have had with Princess.

The only REAL issue is a biggie. We are Platinum Members. Internet was free which is awesome having a business with 75 employees back at home. We were told that Princess is changing the only REAL value of being at the Platinum level. Starting in April, you will only get 150 minutes on a 7 day cruise.

It may not sound like a big deal but if you have cruised and needed to Internet for whatever reason, it adds up fast! Just a quick check of your email can easily be $10.

I would love for all Princess cruisers, regardless of level, email Princess and express your feelings about this cut. My wife and I really looked forward to making Platinum and the free Internet was a big reason. Now that we are there, they are going to cut this program back.

We spoke to a upper level manager on the ship and she was very irritated with Princess for doing this. There is no extra cost for usage for the satellite based Internet. I have installed these systems and once set up, whether 1 or 20 people use it, the cost is the same.

Please, email Princess and let them know how you feel about thins or they will continue to strip what few benefits are available for being a loyal repeat cruiser.

Thanks!!

Papa

I fully agree that's it's terrible about Princess cutting the iternet time for pasengers with more than 5 cruises. We sure don't get any other value (perc's) from them,...except a free drink with the captain and now they are cutting the only valuable thing... internet usage.

I just came back from taking 60 people on the Sun Princess and arranged all the tours for them. It was necessary every night and at least once through the day to use the internet to get in touch with tour operators to confirm and make changes to our tours plus I had to check in with my travel agent many times re. problems that I encountered with Princess mistakes. Shorted many of the group shipboard credit, crusie coupon booklet (which is a huge waste anyways, screw up in table sittings, etc.). I also spoke to many officers, first purser and computer at sea instructor and I'm afraid no amount of letter writing is going to change their decision. By the way: at no time while I was using the interent which was a couple fo times a day, was the computer lab full and that's with computer as sea classes going on as well. Often you lost all your work and had to start over again so basicallly" kiss" the internet useage away.

I've taken 18 cruises with Princess; many with large groups and since returning , my next group cruise is with Carnival Freedom and Royal Caribbean Brillance. Do you get the message! I'm sick of the way Princess is treating us.

I usually post cruise journals from the internet cafe and I too have never seen it crowded. In fact, more often than not, I am the only person in there. I am disappointed by the change in policy. Not really because I spent a lot of time in there, but sometimes, everything froze and I couldn't log out so I just left. Two or three of those events would use the 75 minutes up.

IMHO, if you really need to do TA work while you're on a cruise, simply pay what it costs the rest of us and charge it off as a business expense on your taxes. That way those who simply want to use e-mail to check on family while at sea can do so without having to wait while others conduct business.

Going to RCCL is not going to change anything as they charge as well:

This from the RCCL site

The cost for Internet access either by the Internet Workstation or the guest's own laptop for Wi-Fi is below:

Base rate is $.50 per minute or the guest may choose from one of our prepaid packages: $25.00 for 60 minutes $35.00 for 90 minutes $50.00 for 150 minutes

These prices are in addition to the rental of the card for those guests who do not have a wireless ready laptop.

All prices are subject to change without notice.

I read that the main reason Princess is doing this is prevent fraud. Elite customers were allowing non Elite members use their account to access the Internet. If this is true, then I cannot blame Princess for protecting themselves.

Lesson to be learned here: Do not abuse the perks. You could end up missing them once they are gone.

We have only rarely seen the internet cafe busy to the point that all the terminals were in use. That was usually when pax were trying to print off airline boarding passes the day before disembarkation and occasionally on bad weather sea days.

Let's face it; Princess just wanted to pick up a few more bucks.

Most of us were already well aware of this. If you go further back on the boards, a big thred was posted when this was first put into effect and many CC'ers wrote letters of protest to Princess. This is not new.

However, if you think that is going to change anything, it won't.

$75 worth of usage is fine for me.

Archived