Close Those Drapes!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I think NCL's compensation was very generous.

Can you imagine if they actually would have given him two free cruises over that?! Everyone with a balcony stateroom would be doing that! I think the couple took the "Freestyle" motto a little too loosely... :) Whatever happened to common sense?

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Personally I think it sounds a little like a scam. Especially if they knew that the windows were going to be washed. Also, how do you come up with a demand for 2 cruises, how is that fair compensation? Please, so they were a little embarrased, get over it!

Caught in the act of "doin' what comes naturally" by someone he'll never see again and the first thing the "gentleman" thinks of is compensation? :eek:

And over $500 isn't enough? :rolleyes:

Give me a break.

On the Maasdam in 2000 I had the joy of enjoying my first cruise in a Verandah. It was a Western Caribbean Sailing and I was having a blast. It was late in the afternoon and we were slowly cruising out from Jamaica and there was an RCCL ship still docked at the other pier. As we cruised by the other vessel some motion on one of the verandahs of the other ship caught my eye. I looked and, sure enough, two people could be seen "going at it" on their Verandah. I watched as they "finished" their activities and collapsed on the lounge chair ... at which point a large number of the Maasdam's starboard-side Verandahs broke out in applause, hoots and whistles. It was then that the couple realized that their "activities" had been observed by a passing ship. :D

Makes one wonder what kind of photos and videos were shot, eh? Me ... by the time I had thought of that it was all over. :(

I know ... I'm naughty, I am. But, as Jessica Rabbit once said, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." :D

Caught in the act of "doin' what comes naturally" by someone he'll never see again and the first thing the "gentleman" thinks of is compensation? :eek:

Give me a break.

That's more than "professional services" would have cost in any major city in the USA. Not that I actually know anything about such services ... I read books. :D

For Pete's sake - two free cruises because they were too dumb to close the blinds? Give me a break. $500 was way more generous than they were entitled to, IMHO. And . . . . their whole cruise was ruined because they were embarassed once???? It's not like there were pictures of it posted all over the ship.

Don't people have brains any more?

I learned the hard way as well. (I posted this story in another thread a couple of years ago, so please forgive me for repeating myself.)

In 2003 our family gave us a cruise to the Mexican Riviera for our 20th anniversary. We were on the Star Princess with an outside cabin whose view was partially obstructed by one of the tenders. I loved having the window so we could look out at the sea. I never closed the drapes during the day. One afternoon, I took a shower in preparation for getting ready for dinner and came out of the bathroom in all my nakedness and looked right into the eyes of a crewman sitting in the driver's seat of the tender!!! I hit the floor so fast you'd have thought I was a marine told to give my drill sergeant 100 pushups for some infraction! My husband, who had been lying on the bed reading and hadn't noticed the crewman, laughed and laughed and laughed. You can bet I never left the drapes open while showering again!

Was I mortified???? Yes. Did I even dream of asking Princess to give me compensation for my own stupidity??? Absolutely not. I hate the trend of blaming someone else for one's own mistakes, and it's becoming more and more prevalent now. Sheesh.

Robin

OMG, I think you're absolutely right LoveMyBoxer -- I think it's a scam :eek:

Nobody in their right mind could possibly be offended enough by having their activities viewed by someone who was only doing their job, after having chosen to leave their drapes and balcony door open, to think that NCL owed them not one, but two future cruises!

And if the "gentleman" was truly embarrassed by being seen by one person who he would never see again, why would he then report it onboard, to the cruise company, and have it broadcast all over the internet by complaining about it???

In my opinion, the cruiseline owed them nothing, except possibly an apology if indeed they had not been advised of the window-washing. Even then, common sense would dictate that if you choose to leave your drapes and door open, wherever you are, you must accept the consequences if you are caught in the act :)

Bonnie

That's interesting. Personally, I'd just forget it, but some people always have to be compensated for everything. It's a sad reflection of the society we live in these days...

While we were on our cruise, we received a note that there would be a maintenance worker on our balcony somewhere between 8-3 (while we were in St. Thomas). I called the number provided and told them that we preferred they try and do their work between 10:00 and 3:00. No problem. They would adjust the times.

Well....I completely forgot about this...and we came back early and I walked into the room and started taking my clothes off (we'd been on an excursion and we were hot, so we thought we'd change before we headed out for more shopping). I was fortunate (and so was the painter) that I saw him before I'd completely stripped! Poor guy. lol He probably asked HAL for compensation!!!

I don't know why people get so worked up over these things. I think NCL offered them a fair deal. I wouldn't have given them a thing.

I never closed the drapes during the day. One afternoon, I took a shower in preparation for getting ready for dinner and came out of the bathroom in all my nakedness and looked right into the eyes of a crewman sitting in the driver's seat of the tender!!! I hit the floor so fast you'd have thought I was a marine told to give my drill sergeant 100 pushups for some infraction! My husband, who had been lying on the bed reading and hadn't noticed the crewman, laughed and laughed and laughed. You can bet I never left the drapes open while showering again!

Robin

That's funny!!! :)

Give me a break.

Truthfully, sounds like a scam to me. What idiot leaves their drapes open ... on a port day ... when they want to "rock the boat?" On a sea day, I could understand it ... and too would be outraged to be caught in the act ... but on a port day when you know it is likely some maintenance could be going on? Give me a break.

Sounds like these folks saw an opportunity to scam NCL out of a couple of free cruises, and they took it. I don't think they have a prayer of getting them, though, and I think NCL's 25% future cruise discount is more than fair. Frankly, I doubt I would have even given them that much. Flowers and canapes in their stateroom on their next NCL cruise would have been about my limit.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Guest LoveMyBoxer

The one I most feel sorry for is the poor Crew guy! Can you imagine what he witnessed! I know we had a notice in our room when we were on the Noordam that the glass on our balcony was being cleaned, so please spare me! I don't care if you're in port or not, close those drapes if you wish to rock the boat! It really is sad that one would expect two free cruises just to "heal" the embarrasment! I thought NCL's new thing was do whatever, whenever!

We live in an apartment - the 24th floor.

We'd been notified of window cleaning on our side of the building between the hours of 9am and 4 pm.

I'd completely forgotten the date and waltzed from the bathroom into the bedroom, fresh from my shower, all dried off and stark naked to select clean underwear - there was the window cleaner - poor guy was 'locked' in place with nowhere to go. In my haste to re-enter the bathroom, I tripped over a chair and broke my baby toe.:rolleyes:

DH, a good story teller, had fun explaining my broken toe at 'cocktail hours' over several weeks.

Compensation????? :eek: - I'd never recognize the window cleaner any more than he would me. It's good to laugh at yourself sometimes.

:D

I thought this was too funny!

Lovebirds' privacy lost

What happens when an amorous couple gets busy in their balcony stateroom on the ship's window-washing day? Everybody gets an eyeful. Remember, folks, the view from the balcony goes both ways.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17119450/from/ET/

I live in midtown Manhattan, only a few blocks from the West Side Piers. Years ago, before September 11, it was very easy to walk down to the piers and walk up on the car parking level to look at the ships in port.

I will never forget the day I went down there when the SS Norway was tied up, NYC being a port of call on a longer journey. As I walked along that second-level sidewalk at 8AM, studying the whole length of that majestic ship, I couldn't help but notice how many of its suite passengers had left their curtains open, and were snoring away, mouths open, while I peeked in! Thankfully, love was not in the air so early in the morning that day.

:) Leslie

Are these people for real??? $525 is not enough to satisfy them? Fresh flowers in their cabin, or possibly a nice meal in NCL's equivalent to the Pinnacle Grill would be more than enough compensation in my opinion. I wonder if the lady is going along with this scam, or if she is just caving in to her guy's over-the-top reaction.

Archived