Food differences on the Sea Princess?

CaribbeanCrazy

Your haggis sound absolutely DISGUSTING to me

However, when I finally make it to your friendly shores....

I guarantee you I will try them.

Why, because that's what I do when I visit a another land...I embrace what is foreign to me...that is why I am coming to visit.

Your haggis sound absolutely DISGUSTING to me

However, when I finally make it to your friendly shores....

I guarantee you I will try them.

Why, because that's what I do when I visit a another land...I embrace what is foreign to me...that is why I am coming to visit.

Haggis. Very nice it is too. Traditionally served with 'neeps an' taties'....

Yep!, you guessed it! The boiled potatoes are back!! :D :D :D

Just bring your own grease ! ;)

Kernel

ahh toto...

I knew you would be showing up on this thread to give your thoughts...

Let's not get nasty...

it's the only time in 5 years I've flashed the card..and it was after a couple of other Americans said I wish someone had a black card around here, maybe that would bring on a change...

It was a one day change, so it's not like it did much...

English Bacon was swimming in grease, sauteed mushrooms were floating in oil/butter pond, the boiled potatoes were in oil at the bottom of the dish. There was so much fish, it stunk.

How much chipped beef aka S.O. A.S. can one eat?

You had a wonderful cruise on the Sea and that's great, but you weren't on my sailing, you didn't see the food options on my buffet, you didn't get told to your face by 3 seperate Brits that you were hated because all Americans are evil war mongers. You weren't told at tea by Brits that you couldn't sit at that table because you were American.

Perhaps if you had been on my cruise you would be sinking another tune.

I have never heard of the foods you mention. I suggest the fish was there mostly for the Japenese they love it that's why they are so healthy.

As for the way you were treated by the British, I think there is a clue here in the black card episode. Nobody likes arrogance, and are you sure you didn't talk too loudly - a sign of rudeness or call waiting staff in an impatient manner,( a quiet word in private with the maitre d' is the best way to get your requirements) or use language that is ok in America but is offensive to British Christians. I think maybe unknowingly you gave a bad impression.

By the way it is not usual to share a tea table with strangers,the people may have just wanted to have tea in peace.

We are all in close contact on cruise ships and we have to make sure we behave in a quiet manner and not upset anybody.

Oh I haven't had so much fun reading a thread in a long time.

Happyscot, I was thinking you should be a stand up comic at first, but now perhaps poetry is in your future.

I for one love the food on the Sea, especially breakfast in Horizon Court. Growing up with a Scottish father (maiden name is Ross), and living where I do I love a well cooked english style breakfast. What's this about English bacon though, isn't it Canadian bacon??:p

Ahhhh bacon!:rolleyes: When on a cruise you get to eat what you want. so why not try it all.

Happy sailing:) Pat

I've come into this thread very late, and have never been on a Princess cruise so Sorry about that. I am a Brit and have cruised a few times with Royal Caribbean where the vast majority of passengers are from the US, most recently last December. WITHOUT EXCEPTION, every American I have met on board ship has been friendly and SO POLITE (sorry about the capitals but it makes the point). The US has also introduced me to "biscuits"; warm scone like delicacies eaten for breakfast. Can't get enough of them.

Happy cruising everyone - just booked one for 11th November out of Fort Lauderdale

[quote name='west coast cruiser']
I am looking forward to it and hope we all get along. I hadn't thought of the "war angle". I had negative comments directed at me in a shop in Canada a couple of years ago. We all have to remember that we are from different countries and, hopefully, respect one another and enjoy getting to know one another. [/quote]

Considering the enormous crap tossed at the French a few years ago (remember "Freedom Fries?") because they refused to go along with - well, let's just say that those pesky WMDs [I]still [/I]haven't shown up - I'm not sure that we Yanks have a lot of grounds to get sulky over cross-cultural attitudes...

Blimey, and still it goes on. Remember we're all friends now, though.

I've heard some platitudes
About cross-cultural attitudes
And the missing WMD's
Don't get all rude
Let's get back to the food
By the way, have you tried mushy peas????

Yum. Think liquidised peas with buckets of vinegar added, cooked for about 6 and a half years until it evolves into an independent life form and served with fish and chips.

The trick with eating haggis is not to think too much about it. A bit like how British and Amurikan foreign policy is made. I have some in the freezer. Here are the ingredients.

WARNING: certain scenes in the following list may offend sensitive members of the audience. Ready.... (actually, although I eat it regularly, I've absolutely no idea what's in it, so this comes as much a surprise to me as it does to you).

Oh my God the first one's a stunner.

Pork Lung (33%) (deep breath ha ha)
Oatmeal
Pork fat
Pork liver (11%)
Water
Pork rind
Salt
Onion
Pork Heart (1%) (beats me why)
Spices
Rusk
Preservative E223 (like you'd want to preserve this.........)

Ok, stuff the haggis, it's grits for me from now on...................

I once tasted vegetarian haggis, and it was awful. I think there had been a misunderstanding in the factory and they had made it from vegetarians instead of for................

:D

OK Happyscot, I have been reading aloud to my DH your poems and observations. This is what I look at these boards for - what a crack-up!!
I must say that I love having broiled tomatoes and mushrooms with my english bacon for breakfast - but you can keep the baked beans!!

Not a complaint from me...

Well maybe TWO....
1)
How do people pack away all that food on their plates?:eek:
Good thing they are not weighed in at the airport:p
2) It's over

Wonderful trip and Toto Wayne says hi.
Great excursion and thank you for tip.

[quote name='AliceS']It's all yours, especially the preservative E223. Is that a cabin on Emerald Deck?[/quote]

E deck, we never go as 'low' as that. A, B or at a push C.

:rolleyes::cool::rolleyes:

:rolleyes:Happy Cruising:rolleyes:

[quote name='Suesancy']

Seriously folks - we all have our tastes and I am sure that most British food is familiar to you all - but try something new - you might like it.:D

Happy cruising everyone[/quote]

I agree. How can we learn about other cultures if we are not willing to experience them.

[quote name='rotti']Not a complaint from me...

Well maybe TWO....
1)
How do people pack away all that food on their plates?:eek:
Good thing they are not weighed in at the airport:p
2) It's over

Wonderful trip and Toto Wayne says hi.
Great excursion and thank you for tip.[/quote]

sent you an email...it was returned as "mail box" full....

Still full and blackberry also...
JUNK!
Watching the 500 deleting e-mails sounds like a plan.

Yes did the Hacksaw and remember most of it.
Caught no fish and saw no whales but lots of dolphins, beautiful shorelines and a fantastic lunch. That resort is amazing and kept a brochure. It may take a while for the waitstaff to get over our group:eek: :eek: .
Did a ghost booking on the cruise prior to our emerald next year and made sure it stops there as well. Will book him again.
Thanks again Marc and **** it is cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :(

So let's sum it all up.

Food differences on the Sea = about 2% between Brit and Amurikan. So much in common. Let's face it, gentle cousins, look at the garbage we both eat, so much that IS common! Oh to be Fench (or do you still not like them).

Some Amurikan's get too excited about this difference. Chill, guys, turn to the next platter with something burnt or deep fried on it and enjoy. You still have the biggest GDP/electorate/stomachs.

Some Brits get too excited about Amurikans getting too excited about this.
Some Scotsmen just love stirring it up (hee hee). We should chill. They're ex-colonials, and still feeling their way. One day they'll enter a war either not too early or not too late. One day Brits will learn to go on holiday without turning purple and wishing they could just get a nice cup of tea.

Grits is (are?) truely disgusting. Burnt bacon is weird, as is bashed brownies. Haggis however has the ingridients of hell, and should be consigned to history, along with tartan trousers and George Doubleya Bush. We agree that national dishes should stay just that.

The only question remaining is how that guy can afford a $1600 a night room. We should be told.

So what is the essential difference between Brits and Amerikans? Well there are certain givens. We have a great sense of humour. Amurikans have a humourous sense of being great, and have still to learn how to conquer the world with style and decorum, like we did. Cut out the crap about freedom and deomcracy guys, no one believes you're not working for the oil companies - just stick the bayonets in - worked fine for us.

We have no teeth. Amurikans arn't very good at not slaughtering indigenous populations, and telling the difference between virtue and skin pigmentation. We pretend we're not racist, but it's funny how no one telling you that from a position of authority is black.............

We wear terrible clothes. Amurikans, unbelievably, wear worse clothes.

We are snobs, wrapping ourselves in a cloak of dubious historical greatness to conceal our essential lack of energy and innovation. You have your heads up your own bottoms, to the extent that you can re-eat your own over-cooked breakfast.

But the one thing that comes out of this board is that we are pretty much the same. God help us...................................

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My daughter met her American husband, when he was based over here in the USAF.

He would come for lunch every Sunday, which was always a traditional roast, complete with roast spuds and yorkshire puddings. His manners were impeccable. He would always thank us for our hospitality and we became very fond of him.

One Sunday, I said to him 'well, Derrick, you seem to have taken to our Sunday dinners'.

'Yes ma'am' he replied [B]'I'm kinda getting used to your bland British food'[/B].

You could have heard a pin drop. He was so embarrassed when he realised that he had offended me, then went on to explain that he is used to more spicy food (comes from Texas).

Derrick has been my son-in-law now for nearly 14 years. I cook him a roast dinner when I visit the family in Tennessee and still tease him about my bland British cooking.

Lyn

Archived