So the ship is older and a little dated: why does this bother people?

constructiondude

The massive refit of Century wasnot just updating carpets etc., but mostly because many outside cabins were turned into cabins WITH balcony. Also Aft cabins got balconies etc. So it was a lot more then just updating!!!

This is true, but the balcony additions were only part of the conversion.

Basically, the entire interior of the ship was stripped bare and rebuilt... Which frankly should not be necessary for a ship of this age.

RCI has older ships in far better condition without any massive updates.

I always thought very highly of their maintenance but last year in Bermuda I was surprised to see GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS still with a huge gash in her side (patched up, of course) that was 2 or 3 years old. The accident in question had happened so long ago, I'd forgotten about it :eek: !

The rest of the ship looked OK, aside from rust and sloppy paintwork. But that gash was quite a surprise. If they waited that long to fix it, I can only assume that they never really intended to. Of course when I say "fix" I mean make it look presentable - I'm sure it's fine from a watertightness and structural perspective, but it looks horrible!

Ok , if the absence of stabilizers isn't a problem,

I refer you to the # and size of elevators. The P-dam sucks in that regard.

I did like the walk in closet and sliding bathroom doors.

Jerry, perhaps you missed Doug's post. He confirmed that Prinsendam definitely does have stabilizers. I thought it did, but not being particularly technical I didn't want to say that.

Doug, thanks for stepping in!:) I agree that in the end when you're out there on the huge ocean and it's that rough, doesn't matter what ship you're on ... you're going to rock and roll. Look what Prinsendam just went through around Cape Horn! Scary.

But I have to admit I would rather be on Prinsendam any day then on some of these ships that sit so high above the water. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather be on a low rise than a high rise any day of the week!:D

I'm no expert on the subject, but I suspect there may have been improvements in the stabalizing systems ,with time.

The rocking on the Prinsendam did not have the same feeling as that I have experienced on the Veendam or Ryndam when the stabalizers are being used.

Personally, I am unbothered by the motion, but there were a lot of people who said that they would never pick that ship again.

Jerry, I agree the motion was very different. But it was very different n every ship that was in those waters. This was confirmed by people on larger ships.

Do you remember the Captain speaking on the loudspeaker explaining that it was a completely different type of roughness than we're used to? Forgive my stupidity in my description because this isn't my field, but he explained that they were extremely wide swells that he could not sail "into" (or something like that). As a result you got that motion from bow to stern as opposed to the side to side we're more accustomed to.

There was a little side to side, but I particularly noticed that when I looked out our side balcony we were pretty steady. Yet when I looked aft (we were in the cabin with windows on the back) that was when I saw the sea and the horizon rise and fall. We would rise over the swell and then come down the other side.

The folks I spoke to on the Zuiderdam (along side us in at Grand Turk) said they'd never felt anything like it on any cruise on any ship. It was quite a topic of conversation on the beach that day. Then of course we had to hit it again on our way back.

This is true, but the balcony additions were only part of the conversion.

Basically, the entire interior of the ship was stripped bare and rebuilt... Which frankly should not be necessary for a ship of this age.

But a fact is that they did it even when Century was maybe not that old.

Maybe other companies just change the carpets, bedding etc., which will be cheaper

Since more passengers want a balcony nowadays it seems a good reason to be in the market again and future has passengers benefit from this.

I had a tour and lunch on board in August, and can tell you the ship looks as new.

Just booked a cruise on her and am looking forward to it.

I always thought very highly of their maintenance but last year in Bermuda I was surprised to see GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS still with a huge gash in her side (patched up, of course) that was 2 or 3 years old. The accident in question had happened so long ago, I'd forgotten about it :eek: !

The rest of the ship looked OK, aside from rust and sloppy paintwork. But that gash was quite a surprise. If they waited that long to fix it, I can only assume that they never really intended to. Of course when I say "fix" I mean make it look presentable - I'm sure it's fine from a watertightness and structural perspective, but it looks horrible!

Doug, the "surprises" move inside. We were on the Grandeur in November in an aft JS, the cabin furniture was terribly worn, scratched, had cigarette burns, draperies filthy, carpet had lumps and bumps, brass on light fixtures was completely pitted, a loose tile in the bathroom, the blue astroturf-like flooring on the balcony was in total disrepair with holes, cigarette burns, rips, sofa dirty and worn, slider didn't lock, etc. The public rooms were fine, with the exception of the diningroom which had terribly stained carpet and chair seats. :eek:

Karen

I must be getting old (like the Carnival Celebration):

I forgot to mention the lack of stabalizers on the Prinsendam. The 1/2 of the passengers that were feeling nauseous, would have preferred not to be on an old ship when the weather got rough!!

....You are mis-informed regarding a lack of stabalizers on the Prinsendam....She is an extremely smooth sailing vessel....The best of the ships I have sailed on in over 40 cruises...:D

Older ships vs newer ships: First of all I have never been on the Prisendam.

I have been on all the "S" ships and like them. I have been on all the "R" ships except the Amsterdam and I have been on all the VISTA Class except the NOORDAM. Give me the "S" and the "R" Ships--I love them. I was on the oldest of the "S" ships a year ago last November and believe me with its sos enhancements, the Statendam was like a brand new ship.

Sorry, dude, but I do not agree. There is normal wear and tear, which is expected and understoof, then there is negligence.

I am quite certain you are referring to the comments on Mercury and Galaxy. A roof that has been stuck in one place and not repaired since 2003 is not the same as loose threads in a carpet, nor are fogged in windows, cracked bathroom sinks, loose tiles in the T pool.

There is a difference between normal wear and tear and neglect.

Having sailed aboard Amsterdam (2000) and the slightly older Mercury (1998) - one would have thought that Mercury were twice her age the way she has been neglected, whereas Amsterdam was by no means perfect but she was certainly in perfect working condition (and this was before her SOE drydock) Of course, being on the Mercury cruise where the Captain was arrested for being drunk and immediately post-Bleach cruises I'm sure didn't make the crew morale any better (It certainly couldn't have been any worse - which showed in their attitude and service)

CD - I look forward to your impressions of that ship and cruiseline after your experience...

:cool:

Archived