Live!!! Tuggers Does The Zenith (again!)

tuggers

This dinner and the introductions of staff and crew made me think how sad this scene will be on the last trip. It is going to be sad enough anyway and I hope people who are on this final sailing will not be picking at every little thing and complaining. It’s the last sailing. Things aren’t going to be perfect. Things are going to go wrong. They will run out of things. Crew will have lots of duties in addition to their regular ones and may not pay quite as much attention to the guests as they normally would. There will be a lot of work involved in closing down a ship. I hope everyone booked on this cruise realizes that it will be different. It will be sad. It will NOT BE PERFECT! Some of us will be saying goodbye to a very dear friend and may not take kindly to having her picked apart. We will be making a final memory to remember the Zenith by.

Thanks Gail for allowing us to read your journal. Glad to see you had a great time, even with the little gtitches. You have a knack for putting the reader aboard with you.

However, I have to disagree with you regarding Zenith's last cruise. The April 13 sailing will be our 5th Zenith sailing, & we love her. Having said that, while I realize that there may be things that are different on the last sailing; that is not reason for them to run out of things any more than normal. Also, if the crew has additional duties due to the transfer of Zenith, that is the fault of poor planning on the part of corporate. The plan should be for any extra duties to be carried out AFTER the passengers have disembarked, not during the final days of the cruise. According to Celebrity, what happened on the final Horizon cruise will not be repeated.

I understand that it will be an emotional time for some of the crew and the passengers, especially those who have multiple sailings on Zenith. I'm not hard to please & certainly don't expect perfection & I don't expect a totally normal sailing, but I do expect pretty much a "Celebrity" cruise.:D

Hi Tuggers,

I have read many of your posts in the past, thanks for all the great information. I'm going to be sailing on the March 12th 11-night Zenith sailing.

I just have 2 questions:

1) Where you able to find internet access in the ports, or did you use the internet connection on the ship?

2) Is island time different than ship time in Tortola? I’m trying to see if I have time to take the ferry to Virgin Gorda to visit the baths.

Thanks!

Rich

Tuggers - I, and so many others, have really enjoyed reading about your cruise! You sure have a way with words...I feel like if I close my eyes, I can imagine me on the ship right beside you!

I also want to tell you that you have inspired me to start journaling my cruises. I just bought a travel journal for my cruise to Alaska this summer. Too bad I did not do this when I first started cruising, but I am starting now. Can't wait until I am the one sharing my thoughts and days on a ship with my fellow CC posters!

Have a safe trip home, and see you around the boards!

"Had time to go by Costco and pick up a new pillow I have been wanting, memory foam on one side and a down like material on the other side."

How was this pillow? I am in the market for a new one, and tried the whole menu on the Constellation (much to my husband's dismay!) :) But didn't find one I totally loved. This combination sounds perfect.

Let me know when you have a minute.

Thanks!

Nancy

Tuggers, Loved the reading. Others are right, it's as if we were there with you.

Yuck, I had something totally different in my head when you were talking about your tablemates but Host Anne is much wiser than I am and edited that out. :D

sea-cruise, I'm guessing over the years they've probably had a lot of complaints over bullying passengers. I seriously doubt if I would be so complacent about being treated like that now. Actually I don't know why I took it then but then again, I wasn't about antagonize him any further. I think he had an ego problem and those are the worst kind. :D

By the way, Host Anne is organizing a CC cruise in Feb. of 08. Perfect Eastern itinerary, 10 days out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Constellation.

[quote name='Rob&Nancy'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4] "Had time to go by Costco and pick up a new pillow I have been wanting, memory foam on one side and a down like material on the other side."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]How was this pillow? I am in the market for a new one, and tried the whole menu on the Constellation (much to my husband's dismay!) :) But didn't find one I totally loved. This combination sounds perfect.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Let me know when you have a minute.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Thanks![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Nancy[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Bought the same pillow at Costco ( it's called Choices and has memory foam on one side and soft fill on the other) two days ago. It was about $28 in queen size, and it is the best, most comfortable pillow that I have used in a long time. Reccommend that you check it out.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Red]May I introduce myself?
I am JoAn, Gail's tagalong. Well, that's how I felt sometimes, because you cannot imagine how Gail is treated on the Zenith!! I got a good lesson on how to enhance your cruise experience -- be nice to the crews!! She was their long-lost friend. She calls them all by name. She asks about their families. She shares "in" jokes with them. In short, I think Tuggers is, in the eyes of the staff, the IDEAL CRUISER!

I am as eager as you to see the final installments -- I don't read them on board. I like to find out what we did and said.

About our Table from Hell. I would have given up on it long before she did. I think the whole dining room staff had placed bets on how long we would stick it out. I pushed finally to move because I was afraid, I really was, that Gail was going to pop and say something that might really cause a scene. My goodness! she had already whispered something to the waiter that cause my "friend' on the left totally to ignore me from then on!!
Not that I really cared that he ignored me, I could ignore right back, but, darn it, I enjoy my evening cruise meal.

And yes, I finally really was insulted when they picked (yep, using that word on purpose) at that chocolate dessert that is to die for and pushed it aside -- all because they knew it was a perk from our maitre d that was coming through Gail. You cannot tell me that FOUR people, all four of them, would find it distasteful! Not when they lapped up every other sweet set before them!!!

We moved to another table and sat down with, omygoodness, diners from Canada and England! But they were delightful. We enjoyed pleasant and really interesting conversation for the next three nights. Not just chit chat.

But the cruise was a real JOY! We had fun and sun and relaxing time. We met some friendly folk every time we looked up. We had made this pact not to shop, and mostly we didn't, but well, we are females, after all. If it had SALE on it in big letters, we had to stop and look at least.

I just wish that on my next cruise -- going back to the Z in April with a room next door to Gail -- that I had a magic carpet. You can't get there from here (Oklahoma) and that plane trip home is a bummer.

Come on Gail, publish. I want to know what we did on those last days!!!

love
Joan

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]I will tell you this, keeping up with JoAn is hard!!! I have this residual thing from the Amazon trip which crops up if I don't get enough rest or let myself get stressed. It manifests itself in many ways but extreme fatigue is the worst part. I came home with it in full bloom. Always starts out as a sore throat then ear ache. After many doctors I finally know that the only things that make it better is rest and more rest.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]I have taken to my bed![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]About the pillow. I like it very much and it is exactly as greeneg said: wonderful! I used it the whole trip and then packed it in my suitcase and brought it home. Helped cushion my liquor!!:) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]We only had one time switch. Ahead one hour but I don't remember which port. It might be in my journal. Everyone agreed that it would be too tight to try to make the baths on your own. I want to do it but since I can not make the 300+ ft walk down to them, I think I want to take a sailboat trip over. That I think I could do.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]The internet sucked big time on the ship. I tried it once but after $4.50 I still was not connected and gave up! I found access on the islands without too much difficulty.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]BTW, something JoAn and I discovered. If you go to St Johns from St Thomas and go to Trunk Bay, your Golden Ages Pass (or something like that) will get you in for free. Saves $4 per person. It's a National Park. I didn't know that. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Daisy Girl, I figure the journal plus my photos will give me something to bore everyone with while I hold court at the old age home!:D Glad you've decided to join in the club!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]I wanted to mention that since we did not have a gift exchange at the CC Party, some of us donated door prizes and we had a drawing and gave those away. It made for a much more fun party, in my opinion. The Grand Prize was a dvd, made from your own photos of the trip. That was a big surprise and much appreciated.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Any other questions I missed, pls just ask again and I will answer.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]As soon as I can drag myself to the sun room I will get my travel laptop and post the final installment.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Gail,
Can't wait to see you in April. Do you know if you can get a pitcher of Cranberry juice brought to the room?

We have a table for the 6 of us on 4/13, but would love to add you and Joan and make it for 8, but I think you eat late if I remember correctly. If you want to go "early" this time, we would love to have you with us........

Barbara

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Barbara, sorry I forgot your cranberry question. You can order as many glasses of cranberry juice in the am (breakfast hours) as you want. A tip to the pantry girl the first day should get it put in a pitcher.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]If you order it after the breakfast hours there will be a charge.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Yes, we do eat late, but thanks for the offer. There will be JoAn and I and Ryan and Earl so we are looking for one to two non-complaining, non-toothpicking couples to join us.:) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]The trip was great and I can't wait to get back on April 2nd![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Having just returned from the Feb9-19th Zenith cruise, your journal was like being there all over again! Thank you for doing it!

OK, we are now hooked on X, and wonder which of the present or future ships would be most like the Zenith? We will cruise again this year, and will consider most anywhere but Alaska (fewer electric-wheechair accessable port things for DW).

If you come to Savannah for the "High Holidays" (St. Paddy's), give us a shout and we'll greet some new friends!:D

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]OMG! St Paddy's in Savannah! Have spent a few there but think I'm way too old to do it again! Heck, an X cruise wears me out![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]X is an addiction, that's for sure![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Now that all the really small ships are gone, I guess my next choice would be the Century class, but probably not the Century as I don't care for the 4 and 5 nighters. I had a wonderful couple of cruises on the Galaxy so maybe she would be my next favorite. I'm doing Connie in Sept and I did like the Millie so maybe one of those. Gosh, it's hard to choose. I do not think I will be doing the Journey or quest due to price. Guess you'll just have to try a few and see.:) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='tuggers'][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]OMG! St Paddy's in Savannah! Have spent a few there but think I'm way too old to do it again! Heck, an X cruise wears me out![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]X is an addiction, that's for sure![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Now that all the really small ships are gone, I guess my next choice would be the Century class, but probably not the Century as I don't care for the 4 and 5 nighters. I had a wonderful couple of cruises on the Galaxy so maybe she would be my next favorite. I'm doing Connie in Sept and I did like the Millie so maybe one of those. Gosh, it's hard to choose. I do not think I will be doing the Journey or quest due to price. Guess you'll just have to try a few and see.:) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Too [B]old[/B] for St. Paddy's? :D We can walk (er DW 'cruises') to the parade from home. Come'on down.

OK, thanks, we'll check out the Galaxy, Con. and Mil. We had a CC cabin on the [I]Zenith[/I] (1014), and would like the same level, but with a balcony, for sure!

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Dave, [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]I know for sure we never went to code red because we continued to serve ourselves at the buffets and had Sushi every night. Those are always the first indicators.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]We were on deck 4 and never saw all the bleaching that was seen by others. I suspect it was deck specific and that's where the cases were. I was told only 6 passengers sick, of course, you never know for sure.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]The poor dear who got it from our group was EXTREMELY sick. I feel so bad for her and hope she is doing better now that she is home. I know frist hand that being sick on a ship is no fun.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]budwheat, maybe I could force myself to make it to Wet Willie's for a mug of frozen something!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]hey, BT, thanks for the encouragement. I really do enjoy doing it. If I had any talent I would be a writer. Instead of just a 'journaler' (is that a word?)![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Tuggers, Your posts reminded me of a tablemate we had a long long time ago...
He pulled out an ornate case after dinner, removed a gold toothpick from it...and picked his teeth! :eek: We couldn't believe it.
To top it off, he was the guy who acted like an arrogant snob all week. We were amazed, to say the least. :rolleyes:

Hi Gail
We were on deck 10 and saw a guy in a mask with a spray pack coming out of a suite and saw the bleaching of the hand rails from deck 7 upwards but only heard of 1 lady early in the cruise being sick until we read about Linda.
We went on the ship excursion to Virgin Gorda and think you would have no problem making the path down to the baths. One lady was helped down and back up by the celebrity guide - it really is not that bad just wear sensible footwear. Going through the caves is optional and while my husband did this I just lounged and paddled.

regards
Dawn.

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]sea-cruise, even in gold it's YUCKY![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Dawn, do you really think I could do that? My friend, Jeff, that I travel with some, said I would never do it so I just took his word for it. The most problem I have is if it causes my knee (the bionic one, as JoAn says) to turn. I would love to go![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Dave, I really can promise you, it was nothing like the Mercury!!! Been there, done that, they should have given us t-shirts![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Gail,
Thanks for the wonderful journaling. You and Joan remind me of Helen and I. She's in her early 70's and I'm in my early 40's. We both love to get out, have fun and enjoy all of the wonderful experiences life has to offer. We could be your tablemates on the 4/13.....and I PROMISE, we won't pick our noses, our teeth or any other orifaces. I really enjoy reading all of your posts as well as Joan's. You sound like such wonderful people. I can't wait to meet you both.
Keep the reviews/entertainment coming.
Juanita

Hi Tuggers. Debbie and I (Wendy) were the 2 redheads on your cruise. Both 39 years old. Maybe you saw us. We were trying to figure out which one was you but weren't able to. I am sorry we didn't have a chance to meet. We had an amazing cruise and since we had been on in September 06 we knew alot of the crew and had alot of fun with them. Anyone who complained about the service is ignorant as to how hard the crew really work and lack serious compasion. Have a great cruise in April and we will be following your posts, maybe asking you to pass on some greetings.

Archived