Day Pass at the Hyatt - Don't Do It

WorkingMomNeedsaVacation

We just returned from our cruise on the Carnival Miracle and had a wonderful trip with the one noteable exception of our trip to the Hyatt on Grand Cayman. My husband went SCUBA diving in the AM, so I took the kids on the Hell and Turtle Farm tour and decided to meet him at the Hyatt since it was a convenient meeting place and my daughter prefers pools to the ocean.

When we arrived, I went inside and asked to purchase a day pass. The front desk staff seemed put out that I was bothering them and seemed to try to look preoccupied with other things while I stood there waiting. I took out my credit card and she told me - "No credit cards." "What?" I asked? I don't understand. She told me their computer was down and they couldn't take my credit card. I explained I didn't have enough cash for the passes and lunch at the pool - wasn't there something they could do to help. I just assumed, being a Hyatt, credit cards would be no problem. She told me their computers were down and pointed across the street to an ATM machine. Great, I thought. Only, I didn't bring my ATM card. I had my Visa and my American Express and about $75 in cash after paying for the other tour. I begged her to help me as my kids sat down and watched. I told her I was meeting my husband there in 2 1/2 hours so I couldn't just leave.

At this point, another woman came to the front desk and the woman said, "This lady is a CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER who wants to use a day pass but only has a credit card. I told her our machine is BROKEN." Emphasis on the caps intended. I swear the machine wasn't broken - they just didn't want to take my credit card. They told me the manager was off site but would be back in 30 minutes and I could wait. I asked if we could go use the facilities while we waited for the manager and I would settle up with them at that time. Again, they looked at me - disgusted.

A few minutes later, the woman called someone on the phone and appeared to be trying to help run my credit card manually. I couldn't hear the other part of the conversation, but the woman in front of me kept trying to tell the person on the phone all the reasons why they couldn't do it. "No, no, no, remember? We can't use a credit card if the computer is down. You know what I mean?" Now my blood is boiling. I can not believe the scam that is unfolding right in front of me.

The only reason I stayed was my husband was meeting me there. I didn't have any way to get in touch with him or I would have left. Finally a woman I presume was the manager came out and called my credit card in via the phone. (How hard was that?) Of course, she called in $50 when it should have been $40 ($25 for me and $15 for my 11 y/o). My 9 y/o was free. She told me it was a preauthorization. I was angry but couldn't even spend another moment so I took my passes and headed to the pool. (I never signed anything, come to think of it - I'll be checking my VISA statement online today.)

The pool area was nice. The pool was on the small side and they were doing an introductory scuba class in the pool which took up most of the area for my kids to swim in. I ordered a bloody mary and 2 sodas - for $20!! Needless to say, as soon as my husband arrived, I said "We're going" and we left for the port area.

I don't know what was going on but the Hyatt clearly does not want cruise passengers using their facilities or they are engaged in some scam where they want cash only to not have to report the revenue to Hyatt corporate. Whatever it was, I was disappointed and spent too much of my morning arguing with them.

A few weeks before we left, I posted some information on the Day Pass and a few CC'rs out there were considering going there. I was really looking forward to it and expected to come back with a glowing review. Well, consider yourself warned. If you are going to go - bring lots of cash. But personally, I would never recommend that place to anyone. I didn't like the way I was treated and felt something shady was going on. It was honestly the only negative experience of our week, so we didn't let it ruin our trip, but I wanted to report back here on what happened.

Go somewhere else. You'll be happier and they don't deserve your $$.

i read with interest your experience which sounds very stressful and unwelcoming on the part of Hyatt. being an international hotel chain i find it strange that they are so loathe to accept credit cards. we will be in grand cayman on the norweigan dawn in march and this was what we were planning to do for the day with our three young kids (12weeks, 2 and 7). now, i am not so sure . . . do you have any other suggestions of a nice beach with facilities? other than being treated rudely, did you find the facilities at the hyatt to be worth the money? what is the beach like there?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as we set sail next week!

thanks a bunch.

I am also planning on going to the Hyatt and have called there for info. They were very friendly on the phone and told us also that the cost is $25 per person for the day and that gives us a beach chair, towel and access to all water sports (at an additional charge). I then called the Westin and the Ritz to see if they have a similar program and they do not. I prefer not to go to a public beach and will keep my fingers crossed that everything works out.

i read with interest your experience which sounds very stressful and unwelcoming on the part of Hyatt. being an international hotel chain i find it strange that they are so loathe to accept credit cards. we will be in grand cayman on the norweigan dawn in march and this was what we were planning to do for the day with our three young kids (12weeks, 2 and 7). now, i am not so sure . . . do you have any other suggestions of a nice beach with facilities? other than being treated rudely, did you find the facilities at the hyatt to be worth the money? what is the beach like there?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as we set sail next week!

thanks a bunch.

7 mile beach is gorgeous and I'm sure just about anywhere would be nice. We dropped some people off at Sea Grape Beach after our tour and that looked nice. I chose the Hyatt for 2 reasons: first, I wanted a pool since DD doesn't tend to like the ocean; second, I needed a good landmark for my husband to meet us at after his dive trip. As it turns out, DD was just fine in the ocean in Cozumel and Costa Maya, so if I had it to do over again, I would skip the pool altogether. I packed some sand toys and that really worked out well.

To be honest, it is probably hard for me to be objective about the Hyatt. I can say the lounge chairs by the pool were nice and had individual canopies if you wanted shade. The pool was rather small (narrow, actually) and the drinks were unbelievably expensive, but then again, GC is expensive as a whole.

I had read elsewhere on these boards someone else ran into trouble trying to use their credit cards. I actually thought I brought enough cash, but misjudged the cost of the turtle farm & hell tour and didn't grab as much as I thought I had. Even still, I figured all I had to do was gently insist and they would take my credit card. How hard could that be for an international hotel chain? My thoughts exactly. I couldn't believe how difficult they were. They honestly made me feel like we had the plague because we were cruise ship passengers.

I, too, had received a nice welcoming email from the Hyatt explaining the costs and was honestly looking forward to my day there. When I tell you I went into this looking for a wonderful day anxious to come back and write a positive review, I am being serious. I never imagined we would encounter such difficulty. In the end, I lost about 45 minutes of my vacation time (not the end of the world, but not necessary either.)

If you want to go and give it a try, bring lots of cash. 2 sodas and a bloody mary was $20. If you are willing to pay cash to get in, you should be all set. But - if you don't mind - ask to pay with a credit card first and see what happens. It can't be a coincidence that several of us are encountering problems. I attributed the first one to a fluke, but now there are at least 2 reported instances. It would be interesting to see what happens to the next people to go there.

I totally agree, from what you said, that something shady was indeed going on. You need to tell Hyatt corporate how you were treated and what transpired. That really is bad, I'd be pi$$ed, too.

Already done! Well, drafted anyway. I want to take a look at it again before I send it. I don't want or expect anything from them but honestly believe something shady is going on there and think they should know about it.

After reading your plans on another post I e-mailed The Hyatt. They responded & let me know it was $25.00 per person & cash only for the day pass. I have never done the day pass there but have been to eat at Hemingways's every cruise we have been on that went to Grand Cayman & have always admired the set up & loved Hemingway's food. it is a little pricey but I figure I am on vacation & it's worth the splurge. Hopefully your experience will let anyone know in the future the day passes are cash only.

Wow! We did the Hyatt on 2/12, the staff weren't rude, just....ummmmm....not helpful. Luckily, we used traveler's checks, so didn't run into the CC issue.

The counter staff seemed to have no clue what they were doing when we talked with them, either. I guess I read your experience more as them being incompetent, rather than sinister. :( I hope that's the case! :eek:

Interestingly, to get a cab back to the pier we were directed to walk two doors down to the Beach Club Colony. Where we waited 20 minutes for the van to fill up before we could leave.

we were consideirng Hyatt same reasons- we prefer pool to beach & there seemd to be shade...but we have found two restaurants/bars that offer a pool no extra charge & one also has snorkelling so we will do one of those- if anyone is interested let me know & I will post them...

we were consideirng Hyatt same reasons- we prefer pool to beach & there seemd to be shade...but we have found two restaurants/bars that offer a pool no extra charge & one also has snorkelling so we will do one of those- if anyone is interested let me know & I will post them...

Where are these locations so I can check other options if needed?

hcat, I'd love to know the location of the facilities that offer the pool, snorkeling, and restaurant/bars. Sounds like just what we need after feeding the stingrays. :)

Thanks for your help, Steph

one place is called Billy Bones at treasure Island Condos--advertises a swim up bar & snorkelling from the beach--(I will try top post the link after I post this--I seem to have lost it!) Need to contact them to make sure all facilites are available to bar guests & not just for condo tenants...but it looks nice to me..another was a restaurant at another resort--trying to remember which one so I can back track to it...Hope this is helpful altho' not complete --In fact I am going to post to see if anyone knows abt this place---they offer crew discount coupons so it must be Good!

That's too bad that you ran into rude staff. I have read nothing but glowing reviews about the Hyatt. I did know that cash was the only accepted way to pay, however they could have just told you that credit cards were not accepted instead of lying about the machines being down.

Unfortunately, we decided not to go to the Hyatt and had a very bad experience at the Royal Palms.

I think we should all just stay on the ship! :D

Frankly, the 7 Mile Beach at Grand Cayman is sooooo superb that you should not limit yourselves to "pool" at Hyatt -- Entire beach at GC is public & like hard packed sugar -- walk just north or south of Hyatt to beach in front of the condos -- you'll find some shade trees and great spots to put down your towel!!! The water is delightfully clean/clear and even a small child will enjoy wading in it!! We have stayed on 7 Mile Beach twice for a week and have walked that entire beach! Another spot we have liked is just past the Westin Hotel -- next door to it is the Governor's House & beside that a vacant lot/parking area -- also some trees there -- take a small cooler with you & put some ice, beer, cokes, snacks, etc. in it & enjoy!!!! We have also stopped there on cruises maybe 5 or 6 times.

SStephy: --update from a post 3/14 on Trip Advisor --swim up bar at Billy Bones is now restricted to owners at treaure island Condos--so I am crossing that off my list--will do the other pool location or just tough it out at the Beach--only 4 ships in port this time on our day so maybe not as crowded & awful as last time!

SStephy: --update from a post 3/14 on Trip Advisor --swim up bar at Billy Bones is now restricted to owners at treaure island Condos--so I am crossing that off my list--will do the other pool location or just tough it out at the Beach--only 4 ships in port this time on our day so maybe not as crowded & awful as last time!

Thanks for the update. I'll cross it off my list also. We'll be the only ship in port when I'm there so I won't need to worry about crowds.

Have a great time! Steph

Archived