Just back from Regatta - Some Observations

WJBonds

For introduction, I am late 50's, New Yorker - very experienced cruiser who has been on 13 different cruise lines.

This was my first trip on Oceania and I must say that I was very impressed. I do have some nit-picks, but I must emphasize that this was one of the very nicest crise vactions I have ever taken.

We sailed on the Regatta in a PH category suite. Not really a suite, it is a large, very beautiful stateroom. It has good storage, closets, bathroom, and veranda. Very nice.

Our Butler and stewardess were both friendly and professional. They did a great job. Cheery and helpful.

The food was almost as good as it's rumored to be. The main dining room is fine and the 2 specialty restaurants are exceptional. There is no extra fee for them, a real treat. But, do not expect a table for 2. They have very few and they are in great demand. We waited an entire hour for one in the main dining room and never got one in the specialty restaurants. While very personable, the maitre'd seemed lost. The dining room was beyond his capabilities. Waves (poolside hamburger place) is the best poolside restaurant I've experience. The hamburgers (whether par-cooked or not) were great - as were the other offerings. A tip to management. Move the pizza ovens to this section and keep open til 6:00. It would'nt cost anything and would be a great convenience to your guests. The Terrace buffet is fine for lunch. It is not exceptional, but certainly adequate. Only Tappas disappoints. The concept is fine, but the excecution on Regatta is poor. Not a good place to have dinner.

My last food comments:

After the "Great Berry Discussion" I thought that I would be flooded with them. I wasn't. I never saw them at either lunch or dinner. (I have breakfast in our room.)

Ice cream is top notch. Whom ever was complaining should not be taken seriously. In fact, many guests commented on what a good product it was. Coffee is the only thing needing real improvement - a strange weak brew.

The meat was fine. Not top NY restaurant fine - but close. The "dry as a bone" complainers were just that - complainers.

The ship is beautiful - sort of like an Old English style manor house. Much dark wood, moldings, fireplaces, etc. The libray is stunning as are several of the bars and other public spaces. That said, noone seemed to take care of it. Unlike other ships I have been on, I never saw anyone cleaning the public areas. The brassware, mirrors, woodwork all need a good polishing. Perhaps they do this late at night, but the brassware was in real need of attention.

Entertainment is a weakness of the Regatta. Talented people but awful arrangments. No matter what we heard it sounded like Lawrence Welk. The musical arranger should be replaced. The ship does cater to an older crowd - but few are left from WW 1. Please, a little life would be appreciated. The cruise director, Leslie Jon, has real talent as a performer but never seems to interact with the passengers. Other than his performances, I never saw him around the ship.

The orchestra plays at the pool at 2:30. I felt that I was on the deck of the Titanic watching as it sank. We were in the Carribean yet not one Calypso or Carribean song was played. I know that this is not Carnival - but even old folks would appreciate some upbeat happy music.

Lastly, I do want to comment about the people on board. Although old - actually very old - they were the most worldly, experienced travelers I have ever met.

This has been fairly long - but, I belive it presents a relistic descriptipn of my experiences on Regatta. I will be glad to answer any questions while the trip is still frsh in my mind.

WJBonds, Thanks for the great insight to your latest Regatta cruise. I just asked this question on the boards, but maybe you can answer it . How difficult will it be for my husband and me to find chairs "in the sun" to enjoy our Caribbean days at sea?

WJBonds, Thanks for the great insight to your latest Regatta cruise. I just asked this question on the boards, but maybe you can answer it . How difficult will it be for my husband and me to find chairs "in the sun" to enjoy our Caribbean days at sea?

Recently off the Regatta and finding chairs in the shade is more of a problem.

Deck 11 is always a good sun spot!

wJBonds

I must say a lot of your comments do not seem what I remember and I have been on Regatta many times..I found people always cleaning (even in January when I was on) I also found Leslie Jon to be around all the time..

Jan

We were also on the 2/13 Regatta and can agree with WJBonds on most of his comments concerning food and entertainment. I will say that the ship was very clean and we saw many people washing, vacuuming, etc. including our stewardess and assistant washing the walls in our corridor. Too, we were notified twice during the cruise that our balcony would be washed and we should expect that it may be wet those days.

We found the food to be very erratic in quality, but presentation was consistently excellent. Often we found excessive salt, tasteless salads and fatty cuts of meat in the main dining room, as well as the specialty venues.

The staff in all dining areas was exceptional. In fact, the entire staff from plumbers to officers couldn't be more friendly, polite and accommodating. A weak link, however, is the Destination Desk. They were non-existent in the ports. The one tour we booked thru the ship was not as advertised and was twice the price of the same tour booked independently. In many past cruises, when tours were booked through the ship the tour personnel were very involved in the tours, and we felt the extra money was well spent. This time, the tender dropped us at the port and we were left to fend for ourselves.

On the constructive side, we agree about the pizza, and thought the ice cream and Waves Grill were great. However, why can't one side of the buffet remain open longer on port days? Also, why are two omelet stations necessary when one could be for Belgian Waffles/Pancakes instead of the pre -cooked soggy variety found on the buffet line?

Where was the carafe of ice water in the stateroom? The only water available was a large bottle of warm Evian, and getting ice on a regular schedule was a challenge, to say the least.

Overall, the Regatta is a beautiful ship with an excellent crew and wonderful passengers and NO children. The non-smoking policy was enforced and appreciated. We enjoyed not seeing photographers every time we turned around and nobody trying to sell us something constantly. Other cruise lines can take a lesson. Although this was one of our better cruises, there is still room for improvement. The jury is still out on whether we wil book Oceania again.

I know that you are a big fan of Oceania and I've appreciated your insights on this Board. But, I tell you true.

This was one of the nicest ships I've ever sailed on - but the maintence was not up to par. These are just nit-picks - but the mirrors, woodwork, and brassware (in public spaces) need some TLC. Not once did I see anyone cleaning them.

As far as Leslie Jon - he certainly isn't your typical cruise director. As for his intereactions with you - perhaps he knew who you were.

BTW - I had more interactions with the Captain (met him 4 or 5 times) than I did with any of the cruise staff.

I know that you are a big fan of Oceania and I've appreciated your insights on this Board. But, I tell you true.

This was one of the nicest ships I've ever sailed on - but the maintence was not up to par. These are just nit-picks - but the mirrors, woodwork, and brassware (in public spaces) need some TLC. Not once did I see anyone cleaning them.

As far as Leslie Jon - he certainly isn't your typical cruise director. As for his intereactions with you - perhaps he knew who you were.

BTW - I had more interactions with the Captain (met him 4 or 5 times) than I did with any of the cruise staff.

This is really important for the Miami staff to know..please write a letter to Frank Delrio and inform him of the problems you saw..although I will tell him to read this thread..also sending an email will be good..

I will tell you one thing tho..Regatta is going in to dry dock shortly..I wonder if that was the problem although not a good excuse..

Jan

I also was on the same 2/13 cruise on Regatta and while I agree with some of your comments, I do not with others. Tables in the restaurants were obtainable if you were flexible. Food in general was very good . I am not a complainer, but my wife's prime rib in Polo was very dry, it was better in the main dining room. I saw cleaning in the public areas many times and we did not see any dirty areas. In addition, we thought the appitisers in Tapas were very good, especially the shrimp and sushi. The whale watching tour in Samana was terrible. They used small, uncovered boats without heads, seat cushions etc. (very poor @ $99pp). On the other hand the crew service was outstanding and food better than any of the other 8 cruise lines we've been on. I also found it interesting that you chose not to post on the roll call but now are posting about the people on this cruise. Most were quite friendly, well traveled and mannered.

We recently spent a month on the Regatta and the food was very good.

we did have a problem in Toscana but it was rectified right away.

I did not notice excessive salt on the food ...in fact I thought it was salt free.

We do not use salt at home so when I eat out and the food his highly salted.... I notice.

There were people cleaning all the time, painting and varishing the rails on deck etc...

It has been a highly discussed issue about Destination services & the tours still need work ...I agree on that point.

Our ice bucket was filled twice a day I am sure if I wanted more I could have called someone to fill it, as for the carafe of Ice water we were in the "cheap seats" ;) but again all you need to do is ask someone.

The staff is very accommodating

Nothing is perfect

I did post on the roll call - I was not an active participant, but I did post. I thought the people aboard were great and I don't know why you thought otherwise from my post. I believe they were the most travelled, experience people that I have ever met.

Perhaps I should have added that they were also a very nice group of friendly people.

BTW - I was very flexible with dining - ate in a group 10 of 12 nites. But when I did request a table for 2, an hour wait (7:15 - 8:15) in the main dining room is inexcusable.

You have touched on a point that is very important to me. If you want a classy carafe of crisp chilled water, with a tray and always clean glasses, available in your room at all times, sail on Celebrity! They are the only line that consistently fills this need for me. I will be on the Regatta in a few weeks and will ask my room steward to accommodate this need (and I am in the cheap seat section.) If this is a difficult request to fulfill, I will be sorely disappointed. While on the Holland America line I had to ask repeatedly until finally they brought an ugly plastic pitcher, and then that was removed after a day. Why is this small, but ever so important detail, so overlooked? If they would like me to order alcoholic drinks, then they better keep me hydrated!

Nancy

Nancy,

I was about to write the same about the ice water. CELEBRITY does a great job on the silver (albeit stainless) tray with pitcher and glass glasses. I love to have a cold glass of water when I stop in the room, and it was always ready. I had no need to ask...it was just part of the steward's routine. And I was in a deluxe outside...not a conceirge level stateroom. We travel on Regatta next, and you know I will ask for and expect the bucket of ice and pitcher of water filled at least twice a day. I don't understand, if the cruise line allows people to bring their own beverages on board for use in their rooms, why they wouldn't automatically have the water and ice availbale 24/7. Hmmmm Will be interesting.

Huh, I never thought about a carafe of water. There was always ice, and glasses, and a tap in the bathroom to fill the glass with water, the same tap that the steward would use to fill the pitcher -- I guess the lack of water never occurred to me.

We were on the Regatta for the 10-day Caribbean sailing Jan. 2, 2007. This was our first time on Oceania. I posted a review when we returned, which shares some of the same feelings as WJBonds. I am writing a letter to Mr. Del Rio hoping to update the entertainment on board, as we have booked this same itinerary again for January 08. We loved our cruise on Oceania, but the entertainment was the worst. WJBond - loved your comment about feeling like you were on the deck of the Titanic, funny. We felt the same way, a little Calypso music would have been a great improvement.

These are the things that we feel made Oceania stand out the most, and why we will be back on Oceania again.

Open dining - never had a problem with table for 4.

Quality of food - especially for buffet. Berries in the morning were wonderful!

NO FORMAL nights - loved it, we are on vacation.

No ship photographers in your face.

Wonderful service and smiling faces.

The outdoor snack bar was superior to others.

Passengers didn't have to smuggle on their alcohol.

The decks chairs were a classy touch.

Nice small ship with great people on board.

I'm surprised no one has commented on Samana. We are surprised that Oceania has not removed this port from the itinerary. We just turned 50 and are very adventurous, but most of the other passengers returned to the ship once they had site of the town. Our suggestion is to offer a tender to Cayo Leventado (the beautiful island you see from the dock) or skip Samana all together and offer a different port, like St. Maarten, St Thomas or better yet, St John, USVI. Also, the time in Tortola and Grand Turk should be lengthened and Samana shortened or deleted all together from the itinerary.

We did find our steak in the dining room to be dry and tasteless but the filet in specialty restaurants was very good. All other food was excellent.

Overall, Oceania really stands out. We wish Oceania would add French Polynesia, as we will be on the Tahitian Princess for the second time this August. We will enjoy the same small ship, but will have to put up with the fixed dining time, ship photographers, and those dreaded formal nights. We are looking forward to our next trip on Oceania!

...I'm surprised no one has commented on Samana. We are surprised that Oceania has not removed this port from the itinerary.

Ironically, on th every first cruise we ever took, way back in 1980 on a Christmas cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, the very first port in which we stopped was Samana, DR. On our last cruise, on Regatta to the Amazon and back, the very last port in which we stopped was Samana. Our cruising history has been bookended by thiis poor excuse for a cruise ship stop.

It was miserable back in 1980. We docked at an abandoned fruit company dock on a coast somewhere over the mountains from Samana, and were conveyed to the city in small, decrepit Toyota and Nissan "taxis". We were 4 adults and 4 children under 12 years old crammed into a small, 4 door Corolla along with the driver! We were sitting on each others' laps. Otherwise, we would have had to wait about an hour for another taxi.

We roared up one side of the mountain, passing other loaded taxis like it was the Mille Miglia. At the peak, Our driver cut his engine to save fuel, and we coasted down the other side at increasing speeds because the brakes were squealing. We hit a chicken in the road.

Upon arrival in the city, we were transferred to a wooden Chris Craft that has seen better days and carried to the Cayo Leventado beach. It is indeed pretty, but it was infested with the most poverty-stricken, most persistent and most clinging urchins we have ever experienced. They were so numerous we could not enjoy the beach. In those days, the ship gave us a box lunch to take to the beach. The children were so desperate, they preferred a cold fried chicken leg to money for their shells.

At our last call to this port, little had changed. We tendered in to a small dock and walked towards town. The esplanade has been upgraded, but there is little else. The children or grandchildren of the same urchins were just as numerous, persistent and clinging, offering the same shells. There were homemade cycle cabs, but they were so rickety we didn't trust them -- we saw one broken in half alongside the road. We stopped at the first craft market on the side of the road, bought a couple of bottles of the local beer (which was a fun thing we did in each port) and headed back to the ship.

If we ever sail back to Samana, we won't even bother to leave the ship. I suppose Oceania includes this stop because it fits their distance and time schedule.

OK, I admit it. I'm a cheerleader for Oceania. We were on the Jan 28 LA to Miami and four other cruises aboard Regatta. Love everything about this line. A few little weaknesses, sure. Destinations has been a non issue with us as we usually do our own thing, thanks to hooking up with other folks through these boards. Found the ship to be immaculate.

Have had Shani and Leslie Jon as CD's. Awesome each one. This past time, Leslie proved to be very visible throughout the cruise. I think he's the ultimate! Talented, funny, available, never too in a hurry to answer a question. The white robed breakfast followed by mimosas on pool deck was brilliant. His idea. (Of course we were all in our best cruisewear under those terries!)

We have met the very nicest people through the open seating and enjoy the table sharing. Can't wait for March 08 and our second trans Atlantic.

Jan, is Regatta dry dock for an extensive refurbish? I don't think it's had a major one since it's entry into Oceania in 2003, correct?

Thanks,

aicruiser

You are correct..she is being gussied up to match the other 2 ships which have had quite extensive refubishing..

Jaqn

We wish Oceania would add French Polynesia, as we will be on the Tahitian Princess for the second time this August. We will enjoy the same small ship, but will have to put up with the fixed dining time, ship photographers, and those dreaded formal nights. We are looking forward to our next trip on Oceania!

We have some friends who just returned from a "cruise" on the Aranui 3 through French Polynesia. They couldn't say enough good things about the experience. In fact, many of the things they liked are similar to the ones we all like on Oceania -- small ship, no assigned seating, no formal nights, etc. So until such time that Oceania starts crusing this region, you might give them some consideration. Their website is at http://www.aranui.com/index-english.htm.

Passengers didn't have to smuggle on their alcohol.

What do you mean by this? From a smuggler on Princess! LOL

Jan

Just carry it on no need to disguise it in mouthwash bottles etc...:rolleyes:

However it is for consumption in your cabin only unless you take wine to the dining rooms then there is a corkage fee.

We were on the Regatta for the 10-day Caribbean sailing Jan. 2, 2007.Nice small ship with great people on board.

I'm surprised no one has commented on Samana. We are surprised that Oceania has not removed this port from the itinerary. We just turned 50 and are very adventurous, but most of the other passengers returned to the ship once they had site of the town. Our suggestion is to offer a tender to Cayo Leventado (the beautiful island you see from the dock) or skip Samana all together and offer a different port, like St. Maarten, St Thomas or better yet, St John, USVI. Also, the time in Tortola and Grand Turk should be lengthened and Samana shortened or deleted all together from the itinerary.

We were in the Dominican Republic last October and tendered at Samana. When we left our tender at the dock, we immediately found a chap who would take us to Cayo Leventado for $10p.p. return. We spent quite a few hours on that lovely island and it was one of many highlights of that cruise which took us to the Amazon from Vancouver and finished in Tampa.

Jennie

WJBonds. Why would you complain about the age of the passengers? What would please you? Are we not entitled to travel? Should you wish that we were in nursing homes? God willing you will live long enough to enjoy traveling, and enjoy traveling with a company like Oceania who makes the trips and tours possible for those who are in an "older age" category. Perhaps Carnival ships would suit your age interests.

Address issues of significance. I'm sure you can't find any on Oceania--they do a fantastic job!!

Archived