13 night transatlantic $449 Wow!

Just browsing the cruises available out of galveston and I saw this available on Splendour. I cant jump on this one for myself but 35$ a day - Kick grandpa off the lazy boy and out the door - they are giving it away. Thats got to be the best bargain I've seen.

Just browsing the cruises available out of galveston and I saw this available on Splendour. I cant jump on this one for myself but 35$ a day - Kick grandpa off the lazy boy and out the door - they are giving it away. Thats got to be the best bargain I've seen.

It's an awesome price, and if I could go... I would! :(

-Mike

Spunds cheap, but you need to triple that for most people by the time they add airfare. Which still makes it a bargain, but that much compared to say an 11 day on Empress (where you get to see a port almost everyday) at $800 and $400 airfare.

They must really not be selling this one. It has been priced like this a while, plus last month on the RCCL site it had an on board credit for 100 for inside and OV and 200 for above. Wish I could take advantage of it!!

The single rate is only about $639, and those that booked early got the run of the "Inside Cabins" for that rate. In fact, I got bumped up to a category "J".

I purchased RCCL Air/Sea package, with Custom Air, for a mere pittance above the cruise fare above. That, including a $100 OBC, it's a spectacular price for a 2 week holiday that turns out to be less than $100/day for a single passenger. For two people, and depending on your location (and price of flights), you could easily get it for much less!

For further note, if I wanted to book the flights I selected via Custom Air on my own when I purchased the cruise, the "open jaw" ticket from my city would have been approximately $1900. This is one case where the set-price Air/Sea package saved me money, and provided me with direct flights on my preferred airline.

If I lived in Houston (or even in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, or Dallas), I'm sure I could of found cheap one-way airfare back from Barcelona.

Some of us on the Meet and Mingle board check the availability daily, and we see that many of the cabin categories are slowly being sold out. Main dining went to wait-list about a week or so ago, and our M&M is up to 50+ registered users...so people are slowly biting at this deal.

-Steve

The single rate is only about $639, and those that booked early got the run of the "Inside Cabins" for that rate. In fact, I got bumped up to a category "J".

I purchased RCCL Air/Sea package, with Custom Air, for a mere pittance above the cruise fare above. That, including a $100 OBC, it's a spectacular price for a 2 week holiday that turns out to be less than $100/day for a single passenger. For two people, and depending on your location (and price of flights), you could easily get it for much less!

For further note, if I wanted to book the flights I selected via Custom Air on my own when I purchased the cruise, the "open jaw" ticket from my city would have been approximately $1900. This is one case where the set-price Air/Sea package saved me money, and provided me with direct flights on my preferred airline.

If I lived in Houston (or even in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, or Dallas), I'm sure I could of found cheap one-way airfare back from Barcelona.

Some of us on the Meet and Mingle board check the availability daily, and we see that many of the cabin categories are slowly being sold out. Main dining went to wait-list about a week or so ago, and our M&M is up to 50+ registered users...so people are slowly biting at this deal.

-Steve

Lucky you!! Wish we were going too. It is such a great deal. Have a great cruise!!

April 23 - May 6

I kind of think one of the other reasons why it's not selling so well is that other Transatlantics during this time arrive in port on Thursday-Friday, so most people can enjoy a weekend in their destination before going back home. Same thing goes for leaving on a Monday (as the Splendour does), versus others leaving on Saturday.

I could see it be more popular had it been scheduled to leave on Saturday, arriving in Barcelona on Friday morning. That way, more people would have probably flown home on Sunday morning/afternoon, and felt like they got more bang out of their vacation time.

Arriving on Sunday, well, if you've taken 2 weeks off of work, you don't have many options...but a day at sea is better than any day in the office for me!

-Steve

Many times you'll see this type of pricing for transatlantic's. It's not surprising at all. Also you have to factor in that you'll most probably need to purchase one way air back from Europe and purchase it through the cruise line. One way air from Europe to the U.S. is VERY expensive. Bottom line is the cruise line needs to fill the ship even if they have to blow out the price of the staterooms. Empty staterooms bring in no revenue.

Actually, I looked into this, and the airfare back from Europe wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! I'm fortunate to leave near New York City, and Barcelona-JFK on May 6 has several choices on Travelocity for under $400 one way including taxes and fees (but these would involve 28 hours of travel and get you back on May 7 - they get you from Barcelona to Madrid, but then you have to wait till 5 PM to catch the flight to JFK - at that point, I'd get a room for the night in Barcelona and take a morning flight on May 7, which will put you on the same May 7 plane from Madrid to JFK)

Hartford-Houston (IAH) on Sun Apr 22 (day before cruise) is $167

For the cruise itself, for one person, they're showing $639 ex taxes and fees.

Total of about $1200 for 13 nights! I'd book it in a heartbeat, but I've already made plans for my vacation time this year. Maybe next year.... :)

BTW, RCCL is quoting $1428 with cruise air from JFK...

I am taking my first transatlantic in November on the Navigator, and these cruises are a great value. There is one in the fall maybe the Legend that is like $499 for 15 night cruise. Even with airfare figure $800 to $1000 for a small market airport and $400 to $600 for a major market airport. These cruises represent a tremendous value for those who have the time to take a longer vacation. Many citizens of the UK utilize these cruises to live half the year in England and half the year in the US at cheaper than flying prices. If you hate sea days these are not probably a good option, but we find that having a lot of sea days really lets you get to know a ship and to maximize your activities on it.

jc

Thanks! I just took a look at the Splendour deck plans and the Splendour is a tad bit smaller, but the basis layout is similar to the Grandeur.

What about sea days in the spring and fall. That fall trip would be better. Isn't it cold?

Splendor's TransAtlantic

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/booking/getDepartureInfo/checkAvailability.do;jsessionid=0000BRPinjhoqS4VB3aTXWd3AsU:10ktdmm42?packageCode=SP13T009&selectedCurrencyCode=USD

Woo woo, we're on this and yes it is a bargain, like every else said, we're flying back to JFK in NYC and its less than $400pp.

We're also staying in Barcelona for 2 extra nights.

I can;t wait for this trip. I just finished my Master's degree and its a present to myself for all of the hard work and tears over the past 18months.

Glad to see more people are interested in this trip.

Grandeur and Splendour are both Vision class ships.

Tim

They are more like cousins than sisters. Splendour and Legend of the Seas are sister ships with pretty much the same deck plan. They were built in a different shipyard than the other Vision class ships, are slightly smaller and some of the lounges (ex: Schooner Bar) are in a different location on Legend and Splendour than on the others. We have sailed on all of the Vision class ships except the Legend and the Vision, and are looking forward to next year's cruise on Legend out of Santo Domingo.:)

I wanted to do this trip too. With all our discounts we could have gotten a balcony for under $900 for 2 people (not pp). My dh just couldn't take any more time off this spring. But I am chomping at the bit for next years itineraries to come out and I'm jumping on it. Hope those prices go down like this year. Happy sailing all who are going.

Considering that an inside for a single is $680 including taxes - it's a steal! I briefly had it on hold and even made a frequent-flyer airline reservation. Alas - this year isn't the right time, as I will be in Florida until the day after the cruise departs Galveston, and my husband and I will be leaving less than a month after the cruise ends for 18 days in Alaska.

Archived