Fake Hair Thingy

Crzytch

Hi girls,

I just went out shopping to fill in my cruise wardrobe and ended up getting a little fake hair thingy that comes on a comb from a kiosk in the mall. (God, that sounds cheesy!!) Anyway, I was just looking at their little sparkly hair doodads and the lady talked me into trying one of the little hair pieces on. I swear it looks good... but has anyone else ever worn one? I'm hoping I wasn't under the influence of a shopping high when I bought it... anyone????

I LOVE the fake hair thingys! I have naturally wavy hair that I blow dry straight, on cruises I suffer from "humid hair":eek: I live in Colorado where it's very dry. They work great especially when it's real windy on deck and I just want to put it up with cute little bouncy curls. I've tried the comb ones and the scrunchy ones and I like to put my hair into a comb clip then put the scruncy hair thingy around the clip. Kind of hard to explain, but I always get compliments.

I think you'll like it, they're becoming really popular. Sally's Beauty Supply has tons and tons of them, all kinds. Have fun with them!

Happy sailing!!!!

Romy

We had a similar post a while back. I know that I and some of the gals bought the one from QVC that sells for around $25. It's wonderful and pretty darn close to my hair color, too! It has a clip that you gather your own hair into and viola, what a lovely new look! :p

Crzytch,

About a year ago I bought 3 different styles from "Toni", (which is sold on QVC) that JanetMarie mentioned above. I always get great reactions from the people who know me...my hubby, his teen girls and my 40-somthing girlfriends. I refer to them as my "party hair" and reserve for special occassions such as plays, special dinner out, get-toghethers, etc. I find this brand to be quite natural feeling whereas the items at the kiosks to be a less lifelike. But as mentioned above, these are so wildly popular now, I'm quite sure that quality has drastically improved in just one year.

So, I say wear your new party hair with head held high. You'll actually feel extra special with it on!

I bought one to wear for my wedding and it turned out wonderfully! The color match is perfect but the only thing I worry about is how full the fake hair thingy is... my hair is very fine and thin. When I wore the comb of hair, people really noticed it... I only wonder if it's more noticeable without a veil covering it up. :) Thanks for reminding me to bring it along on the cruise! Perfect for formal night.

I love them for formalnight. Last Dec. we had a late returning excursion (4:30 p.m.) and the 6 p.m. dinner. No time to do my hair myself or have it done. Very simple to clean up-pull my hair up and cover it with clip thingie. My hair looked great in the photos too. I used it again on my April cruise. Hey for the price of one salon visit I have used this 2 cruises. Now I plan to buy another a little diff. style for my next cruise.

toni tails are sold on HSN not QVC, but I bought mine at Sally's beauty supply. The toni tail I had ordered was too shiney and faky looking and the one at Sally's was like $15 less when you add in shipping and handling. Had no problem returning the Tonitail though-I was just out the $5 it cost to send it back.

I've never worn one myself - don't have enough hair, but one of my aunts has a couple of different Toni styles. If you didn't know her, you'd never know it was a thingy.

Not too hard to match her hair since it's black and she gets the darkest ones.

I wear hair pieces almost daily now that my hair is getting long and the weather is humid. I first started with the scruncie style which I found for $7 at a JC Penny's hair salon. Then I added a clip style Tres Alure, with much more hair. Finally, I purchased a very full curly piece that I only wear for formal occasions on cruises. Biggest problem was when I changed by hair color, I had to start all over again. I found buying on-line and at the little cart in the mall to work out great for the money. I wouldn't leave home without them.

Bon Voyage

I got one of the Raquel Welch brand fake hair thingies. It's a pony-tail style on a clip and I love it. I am really sad that I've changed my hair color to not-so-blonde and now I have to get a new one! Wish there was a hair exchange :D

I got Raquel Welch one at wigs.net, but I wonder if they have them at Sally's?

BTW, if you buy from wigs.net, type in the coupon code vip to get a 15% discount.

This tip came from my own beautician, and she was right--For us girls with colored/highlited/processed hair who will never find a good color match--go to a good beauty supply store and ask for an inexpensive human hair piece. Bring to the salon, and have them color/highlight it with your colors. Voila! Perfect match! And not too expensive. I paid about $60.

Have fun

Missyal

missygal-there is one problem with human hairpieces over the faky ones. You have to either set them yourself or have them set at the beauty salon and just like humidity will destroy your hair -it will also wilt the human hair. So before the evening is out you may not look so great. I know this because 30 years ago when it was the "in" thing and everyone were wearing wigs and hairpieces, falls etc. I used to wear hairpieces. My up do ones were human hair. I always like my falls better.

When we put our hair up-normally our hair looks lighter as it has been sunbleached-so our hair is not an exact match anyway-so unless it is an obvious difference no one will know anyway. Everyone thought my was my hair. Ofcourse my hair is shoulder lenght anyway-my real hair would never look that full though.

do they have hair thingy's for short hair? Being vertically challenged and small boned I wear my hair short but would love to have a sophisticated do for formal night. any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Okay, I'm going to be the bad 'gal' here - I hate those fake things. I can tell them a mile away on others. There is always something about them that gives it away. I know I'm going to get bombarded by everyone who loves them, but trust me girls, you can tell. The color doesn't match, it's too shiny, etc. My policy is - If it's not my hair it stays off my head.

Happy Sailing!

It is true the toni tails are too shiney. bye the way I tried again the toni tails as I wanted to try the twin clips and even at night it still looked shiney and faky so back it goes.

My Sally one though I have even worn to my Bible meetings and friends said my hair looked so great and I should wear it up more. No one realized it was a piece until I told them and you well know close friends and your sisters will tell you if something does not look good. Many times I have been advised that this or that style just did not suit me. I am always glad when a friend is honest with me. Hey even I COULD NOT tell except my real hair would not be so full no matter how much hairspray and hot rolling I did.

There is one down side to the Sally pieces. After a half a dozen wears it starts to look kind of fried. Still though I don't mind tossing it and buying another as it is STILL more affordable then a salon visit.

Just be careful on the dance floor! I once saw a girl dancing the night away in the disco and her hair thingy flew right off her head and landed on the other side of the dance floor. My heart went into my throat (I was horrified for her)...until she and her friends laughed hysterically. What else can one do? She went and scooped it up, put it back on, and continued dancing. Kudos for her, I thought!

Coka

I also read here at these boards where a hubby kept pulling off his wive's clippy thing at dinner at formal night. They said she just laughed and clipped it back on- but to me that is all she could do-I would be willing to bet hubby got it big time when they returned to the room. Ofcourse there is a way to fix that-from then on book the ship's salon for a "updo" and when hubby gets horrified by the price just tell him it was necessary as he did not appreciate your being econnomicial using the hair piece. I bet he would change his tune big time then.

So glad I saw this thread...I just bought two hair additions with clips from Paula Young...$17/each...they are so light..I forget they are there...My hair is naturally thin and thinning over the years..My God given hair is long which I wear up in curls..and clip the extra over..I worked with my hair dresser to get the right color and no one can tell..many co-workers have told me how much they like my new hair style..I just smile and thank them..

Bottom line...99% of the people we meet on a cruise...in most cases..will never see again..If wearing 'fake hair' makes you feel good about yourself and your appearance..Go for the gusto..and have a great time doing it..I love mine and they will be one of the first things in my luggage.. :)

Happy Cruisn'

Carol

I have tried both toni pony and Paula Young and like the Paula Young much better. It is not fake looking and it is much less expensive. It also holds up very well. I even wore Paula Young wigs while my hair was growing out after breast cancer treatment and most of my co-workers didn't even realize I was ill. I wasn't looking for sympathy and my hair didn't give me away! BTW, my hair is now shoulder length and I still wear the clip-ins and no one knows!

I use the ones by Paula Young, they're the best. I bought one that's curly, and wore it to a wedding. People just thought I had my hair done, including my best friend!! Instead, I just had my hair in a pony tail, folded over, and clipped this on. It matched my hair color, or at least was close enough that it wasn't obvious.

My nephew's wedding is the 28th of this month, and I'm wearing it again. I also have a straight pony tail one that looks good too. I wish I had brought them on the cruise with me, but I was trying to save space in the suitcase.

Sharon

My beautician suggested that I wear a "phony pony" tail on my last Southern Carribean cruise. She bought a human hair piece colored it to match my hair and I wore it throughout the cruise. At night I would wrap a silk scarve around my head to keep my edges smooth. Always had a smooth 'do no matter how humid it got.

Archived