Code "W" category

Why bother booking air thru RCI? If you do it on your own, you will get to pick your flight times, connections, seats, etc.... Generally it's cheaper and easier to do your own air!

This is not a blanket statement 100% true..........it is ALWAYS worth checking to see if cruiseline air is cheaper.........and I can pick my own flights, times and seats with air deviation.........have found cruisline air cheaper about 30% of the time.......always worth checking.

Can't answer the Category W question.

I see this for what looks like JR Suites +. If the rate is better or equal to my D1 AFT rate I will go for it. But I am told RCI will not book air with it.

Who has booked it before, clue me in.........

We booked a Cat W gaurantee in Dec on the Mariner and finished up with a GS,:) ;) but did not have to use air.

Cat W, X, Y and Z are Promotional Cruise Only fares - so you cannot be sold flights with these.

The idea behind these is you are buying a certain grade of stateroom - you will not get a higher grade and you will not get a lower grade [Cat Z - you will only ever get an inside, Y = outside, X = balcony and W = Suite].

The downside is you take the risk of position, obstructed views etc, the upside is the cheap price!

I have never found the cruise air to be cheaper for any of our US, Mexican or Caribbean cruise departures. In fact doing it on my own usually saves me at least half of what cruise air charges and I don't have to pay the air diviation fee to pick the flights we want.

Our Mediterranean cruises were only available as package deals through My Travel Group so we never checked the price of air separately. I have read that cruise air can be cheaper to more exotic locals like the South Pacific, Far East or South America but even then it is better to check out the cost from the last US departure airport and doing your own air to get there. Say you are going to Tahiti from NYC also look at using cruise air from LAX or SFO and doing your own air booking from NYC.

I agree you should check the cruise air option but remember I've read of many horror stories on CC about some of the terrible itineraries and connections passengers are given when cruise air is purchased without paying the air diviation fees to pick your flights. The cruiseline will pick the lowest cost options to increase their profits. When doing my own air I have seen these lower cost terrible itineraries but wouldn't even consider them.

eg. for our return form Acapulco after our Panama Canal cruise last Nov., could have got as slightly lower fare if we were willing to overnite in Chicago but chose to fly through Atlanta and get home same day. Guess what, I saw post complaining that Princess cruise air had routed them that way from SFO to ACA. They had to pay air diviation fee and get themselves to LAX to avoid that.

I use the search engine like bookingbuddy.com or kayak.com to find best pricing and flight options for us.

but international we let RCI do it as they are half price. I was going to book CO for $65 to Miami & have RCI book us home from BCN. But they'd fly us to Mia where our cruise started not CLE. Air from BCN (OW) was $1500 PP & I got it from them for $809 PP. SO I let them book it.

Interested in a cheap suite with Cat W, no obstructed views.

Archived