New To Cruising

MDL1771

[size=3]I am brand new to cruising and I am leaving on the Zuiderdam on October 2nd,2004. I would appreicate any information, tips and advice anyone can share. [/size]
[size=3]Thanks!!:rolleyes: [/size]

:)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Welcome to cruising and to the HAL board.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]There have been quite a few threads recently from people who just got off the Zuiderdam. Scroll down and you will find them. Lots of reviews - lots of different observations.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]After you have read some of them and there are still quesions that you hvae, just ask. Lots of people will be able to answer your questions.[/color][/font]
:)

Also, scroll down the listing to "Cruise Discussion" topics, and you will find a thread entitled "First Time Cruisers". It should be able to answer most of your questions. If not, just post the question, most people on these boards are great about assisiting.

First things first, welcome to the boards and cruising. You can go to the Port of Call boards to see various tours and what people who have been on them think about them. Did you select a cabin or a GYT.

Please take what you see here with a grain of salt and remember it is only opinons that are stated here. You may or disagree with anyone at any time. Please do not be offended by some remarks made by the few.

One suggestion is that you go a day earlyunless you live within easy driving distance due to delayed/changed flights etc. Priceline or Hotwire would be good for bidding on hotels.

Again welcome to the boards. :D :p

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Welcome aboard !!!![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]I agree with CaptData, take things that you see here with a grain of salt:eek: , sometimes people have problems on any type of vacation, and this can be a forum for them to vent. Most of us are die-hard cruisers, on this board most are fans of Holland America, though you will find people with experience in this forum with just about any cruiseline you'd consider sailing!:cool: [/color][/size][/font]

Most of aspects of cruising are a breeze, but one tip will help you get a smooth start. Pay close attention to your cruise documents and be sure to have as much of the material required at check-in on embarkation completed before you arrive at the pier.
Some of it you can do on-line or by phone to Holland America's 800 number. Also, you might want to look at the available shore excursions and go make those arrangements before you leave for your cruise. Doing so will save you from standing in line at the shore excursion desk on board and will also assure that you get the shore excursion of your choice.
Most important of all.....relax! Most people who cruise for the first time come home with wondeful memories and begin to look forwad to their next cruise. You will meet people on this forum who have been cruising for 40 or 50 years. Some of them have taken dozens of cruises to all parts of the world. This is an interesting group of people and one from which much is to be learned.
Have a great time! DFD1

I have read the cabins have robes in them. Is this true??

Also, we do not have a cabin assignment yet, but we want to take the Holland America shuttle from the airport to port. How do they know where to put of luggage once we get to the boat. We don't want it to be lost because we don't know our cabin number. We are considering taking a taxi instead. Which is better??

Once we have our cabin assignment, how long does it take for our luggage to make it to our cabin?

One more question (for now). I am a very organized person and I have already thought about what I should pack for my October 2nd cruise. Does anyone have advice on what to bring, what not to bring, what you wish you have brought and what you cannot live without on the ship. Any help would be much appreicated.:)

Welcome to the boards.

Yes, the cabins now have robes in them, all categories.

Luggage is brought to your room pretty quickly, if I remember correctly, my luggage was in my cabin by 3 pm, I was unpacked and ready to vacation before lifeboat drill at 4:15 p.m.

Don't bother with the HAL transfers, they are expensive and a cab is most definately cheaper. Everything in Ft. Lauderdale, pier, hotels, airport, are all very close, so a cab is cheaper and quicker.

As far as packing goes, don't ask me, I still overpack and keep saying I am not going to do that again. Let's see how I do this coming March.

Anyother questions, as away.

Welcome to CC and to cruising.

We are on your cruise. This will be our fifth time on Zuiderdam. Obviously, we like it alot or we would not be returning. :)

It is less expensive for two people to take a taxi from FLL airport to Port Everglades to board the ship. When you arrive at the dock, the stevedores out front, who will take your checked luggage, have a manifest. They will check their list and give you your cabin assignment. At that point, you enter the cabin number on your baggage tags and will be all set. DO NOT put on your Holland America baggage tags until after you claim it at the airport carousel.

Hope you have a great time......hope it is blue skies and calm seas (as we also would like to enjoy blue skies and calm seas while aboard.)

Under the new Signature of Excellence on HAL, all cabins are supposed to have robes. It used to be only suites but is now ALL cabins.

Bare minimum for what to pack. IMO

all necessary medications
all usual toilet/bathroom articles (HAL provides soap, conditioning shampoo and
body lotion)
power strip.....people say in some cabins they do not have enough outlets
duct tape.....for anyone of 10,000 uses
flashlight
nightlight
minimum first aid type things; bandaids, aspirin/tylenol, antibiotic cream... that sort of thing...whichever you normally use at home
books/reading material
sunglasses/sun lotion/hat
Any papers/records you have of shore excursions you have booked on line
hair blower if you have very thick or long hair...the one on the ship is weak

WHATEVER CLOTHES YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE!! You are sure to bring too much on your first cruise. But, so what. Most of us did that on our first cruise. Some of us still do bring too much.

More money than you thought you needed; fewer clothes than you thought you needed. :)
Credit card
Identification.....read your cruise documents to be sure you have what is required. You will be denied boarding without it.

Most of all......bring a good attitude and the willingness to have a great time.

Sail is right. It's easy to take too much with you. This is not original with me, but it's so true:

[i]Clear off your bed. Lay out all the clothes you plan to take and all the cash you plan to take. Now, put back half the clothes and take twice as much money![/i]

We were the opposite than Sail and jhannah. We took too few clothes with us on our first cruise.

I guess I was way too use to the economical packing associated with business travel (which I use to do a LOT of). We found that we needed more clothes for a one week cruise than we did for a 3 week Hawaiin vacation!!

Here is our packing recommendations:

- Pack fewer casual clothes than you think you need (we always "bumped" into clothing deals that were way too difficult to pass up)
- Pack more dining clothes than you think you may need. We found that we needed a variety of clothing to suit the dress codes for the main dining room. We truly enjoy the formality of dining in the main dining room.

OH, and have plenty of spare room for all the stuff you will buy on shore!!

Last word of warning - cruising is more addictive than cigarettes!!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='jhannah']Sail is right. It's easy to take too much with you. This is not original with me, but it's so true:

[i]Clear off your bed. Lay out all the clothes you plan to take and all the cash you plan to take. Now, put back half the clothes and take twice as much money![/i][/QUOTE]

I like it, Jim! :D

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Formal nights - men wear tuxedos or a business suit. Women wear long gowns, a log skirt with dressy top, or long fnacy pants with dressy top.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Informal - men wear slacks and a jacket (tie not required). Women wear usually cocktail dresses.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Casual - men wear slacks and a sport shirt. Women wear slacks and a nice blouse or a nice dress.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]I think you get the picture.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Whenver we go to the Pinnacle, even if it is on a casual night, husband wears suit with tie and I dress up.[/color][/font][/b]

WELCOME....the good news is that you will enjoy every minute of your cruise, the bad news.....you'll be hooked on cruising and finding ways to save money for another one!

First do not panic, everything goes pretty smooth. The cruise lines do this a lot and they have it down. We were on the Zuiderdam July 24th and had our luggage by 3:00 and unpack prior to the lifeboat drill.

As for dress: you will get lots of opinions here on what is right but let me tell you what I saw as appropriate (excluding the people with bathing suits and tank tops) Formal nights, some are in tuxedos most are in dark suits, women in long dresses or black skirts. Informal nights, most men looked like they were going to the golf coarse, however I think that a shirt and tie is appropriate for men and women a casual dress or pants outfit. Casual, men in polos with nice pants (no jeans; although there are always some) and women in cute sundresses or a skirt.

As for packing, pack twice as many bathing suits and half as much of everything else! If you are in a suite, they will launder your clothing for you which mean you can pack even less. Or if not in a suite you can pay (a minimal amount) and have them launder your clothing.

What ports are you going to and maybe we can help you there as well...ENJOY :)

Also, Sail7Sseas is a wealth of knowledge and will never let you down. I learned a lot from sails on my first HAL experience :)

There are also many others here that will help in any way, its like a family :)

[quote name='doone']Parasailing at Half Moon Cay, its awesome, or the banana boat ride. I have always found Half Moon Cay to be the highlight of my cruise.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]I'd love to try that banana boat ride ... but, I am a total klutz. I'd be the one to fall off. :(

Blue skies!

--rita[/COLOR]

Archived