tipping on Amadeus

Fleuve51

Tatatom & Buckland,

Since you have been on a river cruise, perhaps you can advise me on the tipping policy.

If we follow the guidelines in our documents, the tips on our 14 day cruise would total almost $700.

We have been on over 40 ocean cruises, and tips were deducted daily from our account, but nothing in the range of what is asked for on Amadeus.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Eileen

Eileen,

Is the 700. in tips per couple?? From what I have been reading you tip the Cruise Director as well on riverboat cruises maybe there is more than one on the cruise you are taking.It does seem a little high but like you this is our first riverboat cruise although with a different company and it has been a learning experience.We hope your cruise will be everything you want it to be and more.

emmy

The $700 would come to $25 per day per person. There must be some misunderstanding. Most ocean cruise lines are charging your account $10 per day per person and I think that the river cruises recommend a little more.

I am going on Amadeus in October and if they suggest to me that $25 per day per person is recommended they are going to get a BIG surprise! I just checked my driver's license and confirmed that I wasn't born yesterday!

Clarence:)

We are booked on the Avalon Artistry from Prague to Bucharest in Sept/Oct 2007. Here is their reply with regard to my query on tipping:

"Tipping for the CREW is $12 - $15 Euros per passenger per day on the cruise.

Tipping for the CRUISE DIRECTOR is $3 Euros per passenger per day of the tour and cruise (including the 3 pre nights in Prague and 1 post night in Bucharest.

The preference for tipping is cash, whether it is Euros or US dollars. They would take credit cards, but the only concern would be the wait for it to be processed. It could take up to 6 weeks".

Accordingly, the total would be in the region of 500 Euro per couple. I assume other river cruise lines recommend the same amounts. Having completed many big ship cruises, I agree that this amount a little steep.

Don

Let us not forget, it is the CUSTOMER who sets the tip! Even for the best of service 18 Euro ($24 USD) per person per day is beyond reasonable.

I, for one, will determine what is reasonable and tip accordingly. If they cater to American customers they can get used to receiving American dollars.

I don't believe we paid that much. We took with us a fair bit of Euros and probably two or three hundred US one dollar bills for miscellaneous tipping, which came in very handy to make change for some of the washrooms which were "pay" toilets. We had plenty left over too, some of which we left for the staff that looked after our cabin. I think we gave our cruise director $50 and we had a couple really great servers that took exceptional care of us, so we gave them their more generous tip separately, just to be sure they got it. Then I believe we put a bunch of extra Euros (I think 200 or 300) into an envelope at the end of the trip for them all to split. We didn't put our names on the envelopes, we just handed in as we were getting ready to pack up and leave.

If you have half the cruise director we had, you will not be without lots of information. I know several people did not tip on the shore excursions, and that is perfectly Okay. You are not obligated to tip and no one will throw you in the pokey if you don't, after all, T I P S means "To Insure Proper Service". If they do a good or great job, they deserve a little extra. If they do an adequate job, or a poor one, the tips, or lack of them should reflect that.

Buck

I am going on an Amadeus Russian River cruise and I believe the recommended tip is $19 - $20 US per day. Yes, it is double what the norm is compared to regular cruises.

As I see it, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If this is the recommended tip, and the services rendered is satisfactory - we should tip the recommended. As an example - the Japanese do not tip in their country. If they come to the US - they should follow the customs of our country and tip accordingly. They should not be exempt from tipping because their culture does not participate in it back where they live.

On ocean cruises when you add your optional tour tipping in with your tip for service on the ship it can certainly run to 15-20 U.S. a day, pp.

On our recent Viking river tour to China 16 days....our tips were close to $350. pp.

And they really earned it.

$700.00!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

It is good that they give you a suggested amount.but that is just what it is. It is not a bill.

If you are a couple are you suppsed to double that amount? Good Grief!!.For Steamboats with DD and DH are you supposed to triple the amount?Pulleese!

I will tip what I want to based on the service I receive.I will not be told what I have to tip!I have taken several land tour and always tipped well and I am quite capable of deciding how much I should tip.I will not be told what I MUST tip!

Guess I'm with you Clarence on this one.

That is still $607 U.S. which is, IMHO, way out of line. I like the way they break it up so that it looks soooo small. Don't know why they don't tell us it is only $2.08 per hour or 3 1/2 cents per minute!

We got off the Crystal Symphony about 3 weeks ago. Crystal, as most of you know, is one of the best.

Well--the agent paid the tips for our 7 day cruise-$140 US dollars.( for 2 weeks-$280USD)--per couple.

Amadeus is asking for more than double that amount!

Way too much, I think.

How about you?

Eileen

Just checked the "Euro" conversion chart on Google.

$100 euro equals $154 Canandian dollars.

So yes--almost $700( canadian) is what they suggest.

What does everyone think?

Eileen

What do I think?

First of all it is a suggestion.......

But I think it is not out of line...once you go on a river cruise you will see how things are coordinated by the staff for you.

If my memory serves me right there is no 15% tip added onto your ship board account for drinks...so right there that is a savings over cruise ships.

I think some are forgeting about all those little extra tips we pay on an ocean cruise and on optional tours.

We got off the Crystal Symphony about 3 weeks ago. Crystal, as most of you know, is one of the best.

Well--the agent paid the tips for our 7 day cruise-$140 US dollars.( for 2 weeks-$280USD)--per couple.

Amadeus is asking for more than double that amount!

Way too much, I think.

How about you?

Eileen

I am surprise Crystal doesn't expect more...Celebrity suggested it is $10.25us a day in a standard cabin suites are more.

When we had taken our first river cruise last year, we were faced for the very first time with tipping. Having cruised exclusively on Regent (formerly Radisson) we were not used to tipping, as there is no tipping on Regent. Period! We found all this talk of tipping and guidelines given by the river cruise company somewhat out of line, either too low for some and/or too high for others.

I agree with Clarence. We will tip accordingly and not be told how much we are expected to tip. Needless to say, we tipped quite well to those who were deserving of such. There were many stellar crew members and we did show our appreciation for a job very well done.

What do I think?

First of all it is a suggestion.......

But I think it is not out of line...once you go on a river cruise you will see how things are coordinated by the staff for you.

If my memory serves me right there is no 15% tip added onto your ship board account for drinks...so right there that is a savings over cruise ships.

I think some are forgeting about all those little extra tips we pay on an ocean cruise and on optional tours.

Well I have only taken 1 ocean cruise and did not like it so I never did it again so I don't know much about that. But I do know about Europeon travel as I have taken several trips to Europe,some with tours and some on my own.

You are paying for all the things they do for you by the cost of the river cruise.They are supposed to coordinate things for you. That is how they earn their salary.That is one of the reasons why river cruising costs more then coach tours.You are not supposed to pay for it by your tips! Tipping is for service above the ordinary.I will not be told how much to tip.I think after several Europeon coach trips and trips on my own I can figure it out myself.It is not even common in Europe to tip at all. That is an American thing and something they have come to expect from Americans.

German cruise companies don´t recommend high tips as tips are not that common in Germany. US cruise companies tend to the US and so is the tipping.

BTW, Majestic America Line is recommending $15 pp (pooled). And yes, kids are expected to tip too. With RCI it´s the same recommended amount for kids and parents. Other ocean cruise lines have a lower recommendation for kids.

steamboats

I think you tip based upon service. Great service, big tip. Mediocre or poor service, little or no tip. Tips are really not an entitlement. I don't care what is 'suggested'. I am not going to supplement underpayment by the vendor.

Archived