Frustrated with RCCL

Pugdog007

I'm trying to book a balcony cabin for the Sep 7th Radiance to Alaska at the lowest rate (for a balcony) listed of $949. It won't let me do it, even paying the 200% supplement! This is a "guarantee" booking, with no room assignment. It will only allow me to book a higher rate of $2400 for single occupancy, which is a good $500 more than 200% of the lowest advertised rate. I called and they said a solo traveler cannot book a guarantee. Anyone enlighten me on why this is the case?

What if I booked someone else with me to get the lower rate. Would it be a problem when the other person doesn't show up to check in with me?

I don't get it???

Hi,:) I have booked with Celebrity before on a GTY....Royal

own Celebrity.

I would call back and ask for a Supervisor and don't take

no for an answer.

Not sure why you are being told a solo cruiser cannot

book a gty:eek: :( they can too.

If you really want the guarantee why not book someone else in? is it more money or less if you put another person in? I just wouldn't tell them the other person isn't going. while I don't know of any reason why they would object, I wouldn't want to take a chance.

If you really want the guarantee why not book someone else in? is it more money or less if you put another person in? I just wouldn't tell them the other person isn't going. while I don't know of any reason why they would object, I wouldn't want to take a chance.

That's what's frustrating. If I book with someone else, I get a better rate... by about $500! So I was thinking of booking with my daughter... but she can't really go because she's away at college. So can I do that?

When I called, they didn't really say that a solo can't book a guarantee... they said a solo can't book a guarantee with this specific deal! (for some reason) Makes no sense to me, as they are getting the same amount of money either way!

I"m a TA. I'm at work right now. I'm hooked up with RCI so I'll check for you right now.

I just checked, it wouldn't even give me a rate for the X Gty, or cat E3 which is even less pp double!!

I"m a TA. I'm at work right now. I'm hooked up with RCI so I'll check for you right now.

I just checked, it wouldn't even give me a rate for the X Gty, or cat E3 which is even less pp double!!

Is it typical for a cruiseline to "block" solo cruisers from certain deals, even when they are willing to pay the full supplement?

Yes, NCl will only allow doubles in their gty's. I tried to book a client in a single on the Costa Concordia in Europe and the only thing they would book him in was the dedicated single inside stateroom. They only do that in Europe not the Caribbean. Most of the cruiselines will not allow singles in their gty rooms.

Yes, NCl will only allow doubles in their gty's. I tried to book a client in a single on the Costa Concordia in Europe and the only thing they would book him in was the dedicated single inside stateroom. They only do that in Europe not the Caribbean. Most of the cruiselines will not allow singles in their gty rooms.

So is there risk in booking someone in there with me that is really not planning to go? Will they question it at the port if I tell them she decided not to come along? Could it cause me any problems in boarding?

Thanks for your help.

I think you'll be fine. Under no circumstances would I tell them anything but "she couldn't make it" when you check in. You should not have any problems. When you have contact with RCCL at any time act like she is going. When you preregister online, preregister her info as well.

I try to boycott companies which don´t deserve my booking. None are that special. I won´t pay RCCL fares when I could get nice offers in companies like Oceania, Royal Clipper and even Crystal and Silversea. NO, I won´t pay that, specially after RCCL service has deteriorated that much.

Companies which are usually abusive, think "two persons per cabin, two persons spending money in other things onboard". A single simply can´t spend as much as two. But this sometimes a simplistic view.

One thing to remember is, single occupancy is capacity controlled on all cruise lines. It's the same thing Princess does with the number of families they allow to book a cruise---they limit the number of kids on all their cruises. When I recently booked two segments of Crystal's world cruise, I was told that it was good I booked at that time because they reached their single occupancy limit with my reservation. Cruise lines can do whatever they want with booking cabins. It might not seem fair, and I'm a huge supporter of wanting singles to get a better shake from cruise lines, but the bottom line is that they can do whatever they please as long as they don't discriminate.

I love carnival, just booked an inside room for 7 day's with gratuity and tax's only $685.00. Never thought about paying for two people and then just showing up with just one, but what they heck, just say sorry they got sick and couldn't make it. Heck act really sad and depresed tell the purser about it and see if they can do anything. One year my sister did get sick the day before a family cruise and we got her next cruise at 50% off and they gave us a cabin credit of $50.00 That was nice.

David

One thing to consider if you decide to book as if 2 people will be traveling - you will be paying double port and tax charges. When traveling solo you only pay those once. Correct me if I am wrong.

As far as RCI goes, I've booked them at 1 1/2 times the fare twice this year so far. Seems the single fare depends on the ship and sailing.

Good luck and Happy Sailing.

• 4 weeks later...
One thing to remember is, single occupancy is capacity controlled on all cruise lines. It's the same thing Princess does with the number of families they allow to book a cruise---they limit the number of kids on all their cruises. When I recently booked two segments of Crystal's world cruise, I was told that it was good I booked at that time because they reached their single occupancy limit with my reservation. Cruise lines can do whatever they want with booking cabins. It might not seem fair, and I'm a huge supporter of wanting singles to get a better shake from cruise lines, but the bottom line is that they can do whatever they please as long as they don't discriminate.

Kitty,

Is this really true that all cruise lines have "capacity control?" I am just thinking that absolutely sounds like discrimination to me. Call me crazy, but. . .

I haven't cruised single since Mexican Riveria back when Carnival had a single-share fair. I was young then and actually shared a room with a stranger. Wasn't that bad, again, I was young. But, I only paid the regular double-occupancy rate. I would love to travel solo again, but I just don't see how a single should pay double rates!

It used to be that cruise lines - like hotels - had smaller rooms (singles as it were). I would happily take a small room since my goal is only be in it when I am sleeping. Again, everything is going bigger and bigger pricing the single out of the fun.

• 3 weeks later...

If you book for two and it is only you going, how can they refuse you if the full price is paid? I don't really think that is lawful at all. I find it hard to believe that they could refuse you. I have always paid the double supplement so I don't know how that would work.

Archived