Do You Meet Fellow CruiseCritics Onboard??

MandyGirl

Do you meet fellow CruiseCritics onboard your cruise?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you meet fellow CruiseCritics onboard your cruise?

• Definitely YES!!
    • Yes - if I can manage to make it by and time permits
    • No - my existence is limited to postings only
    • Depends on if I like the fellow posters I have met beforehand

Laffnvegas, that is so funny. I am always a ringleader organizing meet and mingles in the past, and I always try to get a co-ringleader to help out. So we are in Auckland as the boats came in from the final race in the America's cup races before sailaway. We had agreed to have our meet and mingle at the official time and place, but many of us wanted to meet so I said at 5pm anyone interested should meet at the farthest forward deck. So, of course, there were quite a few people there and I am looking for my internet co-ringleader as there were about 50 of us on the Legend of the Seas. So, I see someone coming up and they are not looking at the sailing yachts or the shore and I figure they are looking to figure out if I am one of the group. So, I would say hi are you part of the cruise critic group, and of course, they looked at me and then in german would say who is this crazy man. (There were a lot of Germans and Swiss there because of the America's Cup races which Alinghi the Swiss yacht won) Finally after about 20 minutes, I decided to beat a retreat before everyone on the ship thought I was a nutcase, and went to the crown and anchor bar and had a martini.

jc:D

We always try to meet CCers on every cruise. If no one else does it--- then I will post on the Roll Call Board. I try to have everyone meet after boat drill. We have meet some really great people from this board. Penny

My bad

I looked too quickly at your ship list and saw the Westerdam 12/95 and ignored the 9! I am, too, jaded to do traditional Caribbean itineraries. I am getting old, 45, and I don't want to wait until I can afford or have the free time to see the world, and I am going to damn well see it now while it and I are still here.:p :eek: :cool:

jc

I can’t imagine not meeting others from CC on my cruise. I’ve always said cruising is about meeting people. Our last cruise, this spring, on the Maasdam was greatly enhanced with the time I spent with other CC members. :)

I plan on doing some resort vacationing. It will be very interesting how many friends we meet in resort vacationing.

I notice many of the folks responding to this thread are the ones I find most amiable. I would absolutely love meeting, and cruising with them, as we have already had so many meeting of the minds.

My next scheduled cruise already has 50 people signed up, with over a year to go. :cool:

We've only been on one cruise since I found out about these Boards and that was on Celebrity. We had a pretty good roll call, not great, but about 8 of us wrote back and forth every day and had a ball getting ready to go. About 35 signed up for the CC party. We were to meet on the fantail the first day. Well, only 6 of us showed up for that and how embarrassing when only about 8 showed up for the party!!! We had a lot of fun talking and everyone was very nice, but that was pretty much the end of it.

So I'm a little gunshy about it. We always meet such amazing people on every cruise anyway that it's not necessary in order to have an absolutely fabulous time. But I've run across some really great people on these Boards and I hope someday to see some of them on one of our cruises.

Joe, it's funny but we have gone on a lot of resort vacations and have never met one single person on any of them. We always go on that kind of vacation when we want more of a private getaway. For some reason, it's just not the same as a cruise. People smile, greet you and are pleasant, but that's about it....it's kind of like going to Publix:D

;) We are "Vendammers" for the 14 days in Nov. 2005.

I have enjoyed the posts of fellow travelers for that cruise so much it seems like a "Reunion" excitement.

I was too new to the "Boards" prior to that time to have thought of such a good idea!

Sorry to say, the only couple from CC that was going on our Rotterdam trip this November. 2004, may be unable to make it for health reasons. It is disappointing, as I can see what it could add to the enjoyment.

We were fortunate in some table mates on past cruises! Though not CC members they did add much to the fun enjoyed by all. With some, there is still the desire to share future adventures, which when I can get my Ed on an "aireoplane" may still happen!

Anyone out there going on the Rotterdam to Panama Canal? 11-12-04 t0

11-22-04?

I have met people from the Yahoo boards but not from Cruise Critic. I've recently switched back to Cruise Critic after three years of only posting on Yahoo. The Yahoo boards allow those of us in the cruise business to post our specials and any great prices that we have found.

That being said, I like the Cruise Critic boards better. I learn something new from here every day. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

I have met people from CC on board, and invited them to share some private excursions I had booked, which some did. They were all super people and I enjoyed their company. :)

:) Interesting poll and responses Mandygirl! I discovered Cruise Critic a couple of months before our 10 day Summit cruise in April 2003. We met a lot of great people thanks to these boards....many of whom we still e-mail. In fact, our second cruise on the Summit this past May was a mini reunion of our 1st Summit cruise. :D Four couples from last year sailed again this year. We had about 75 people show up for the official CC party on board.

Anyway, I think the best way to guarantee a good gathering is to arrange a sailaway meeting at a centrally located, high traffic spot. Usually the bar nearest the main pool works, and right after the muster drill. Now, if we could only get more posters on our roll call, right? :rolleyes: Later....Oink! :)

Anyway, I think the best way to guarantee a good gathering is to arrange a sailaway meeting at a centrally located, high traffic spot. Usually the bar nearest the main pool works, and right after the muster drill. Now, if we could only get more posters on our roll call, right? :rolleyes: Later....Oink! :)

I have to disagree with this. I think many people miss the meeting at sailaway. Many head back to their cabins to continue unpacking or even get ready for dinner if they have early seating. I have always arranged another time and it has worked out much better.

:D Hi...I can understand both points.....some people do go back to their cabins after muster.....but others don't ( well I go back to return my life jacket;) )...but then I am outa there LOL.

When I sailed on the Mercury back in March we did what both Oink and Gizmo suggested! For those of us who wanted to meet at Sailaway.....we did...and then we met again...next day at a certain time and location and met others who came to the 2nd meeting only:)

Actually our group was kind of small.....and a few of us became good friends and did things together througout the week....we loved TRIVIA....!

And also, Ken (one of my friends) suggested that if anyone was on board in the afternoons....that we would meet at 3:00 in the Navigator Lounge.......it worked great! There always seemed to be some of us there!....we caught up on how our cruise was going, etc...etc.. That was one of my very best cruises:D

I have to disagree with this. I think many people miss the meeting at sailaway. Many head back to their cabins to continue unpacking or even get ready for dinner if they have early seating. I have always arranged another time and it has worked out much better.
IMO, the two biggest mistakes:

1. Trying to schedule a get together on the first day. Most everyone is still getting oriented and has a buzz about the upcoming cruise, unpacking, not missing the show, etc., etc. Some are just plain exhausted from the trip and just want to grap a bite and crash. The last thing they want at that time is an obligation to meet a bunch of people at a specific time, interrupting everything they are doing.

I always recommend that the meeting take place at least on Day #2 (or the first day at sea). There's no urgency to meeting immediately, unless of course group activities have been arranged.

2. Failing to prearrange an identification technique. Physical descriptions, garment colors, etc. seldom, if ever, work. Prearrange a symbol, such as a simple pinned on flower or even just a Post-It note with CC in black letters stuck on shirts. If you are meeting in a public lounge or similar place, one or two people can volunteer to make a paper sign that simply says CC or Cruise Critic and be the official greeter(s).

- - - - - - -

Always remember, an affinity among some of the group is not assured. Don't be disappointed if attrition occurs; it's not personal. The folks are on board for a variety of reasons; the primary reason seldom being to meet fellow Cruise Critics. If relationships click, as will normally happen, think of it as a bonus.

IMO, the two biggest mistakes:

1. Trying to schedule a get together on the first day. Most everyone is still getting oriented and has a buzz about the upcoming cruise, unpacking, not missing the show, etc., etc. Some are just plain exhausted from the trip and just want to grap a bite and crash. The last thing they want at that time is an obligation to meet a bunch of people at a specific time, interrupting everything they are doing.

I forgot about being exhausted. On our last cruise, we had to fly in the same day. We were up around 4:00 - 4:30 AM and by the time sailaway rolled around Mr.Gizmo was out like a light!

Excellent advise Walt. I posted I would be arriving in “Brand new cover-alls, and my wife could be recognized by her Mini-skirt, and support hose”. :eek: I shocked many people when they found I was a very normal person. Maybe a little more out going. :)

We had around 20 CC members on our cruise. Enjoyed meeting them all.

:)

Hi,

We just got back from our 7/24 Zuiderdam cruise on HAL and we had about 20 people on our roll call thread. We set up to meet at the piano bar at 2:30 the first day which proved to be a little too early and some people didn't make it ~ mostly because HAL's computers were down during check-in. Anyway, we did get to meet about 4 couples which was great. One couple in particular was on their honeymoon (Debi and Mark) and we spent a lot of time together. We had the best time on Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas where we shared a cabana together and had a blast.

I would suggest having 2 meetings in case some people can't make it to the first meeting. One before sail away and maybe the second after breakfast the next day (around 10 or 11). Also, having the meeting at one of the bars maybe during the day makes it easier to find each other. Not as many people at a bar as there are at the pool or buffet during the day.

Anyway, we were very happy to meet our fellow CC members. Wish we met all of the people from our thread but it just didn't happen. Debi, if you are reading this... We miss you guys... when are we going again????

Happy Sunday to everyone!

Ruth and I try to meet others whenever we cruise. We tend to stand out because of the animal slippers that we wear so we are easy to recognize. I have had people come up to me and ask me if i am the guy from the boards.

We have met a lot of nice, and interesting, people on our cruises and have cruised with them afterwards.

The best way that we have found is to pick one lounge beforehand and set a time when it is convenient for everyone. We usually set up 5-7 pm which fits in to first and second seatings.

Some people show up every night and some people only show up once. On the older ships the Oceans bar seems to be the best place as it has smoking and non smoking sections that are close together.

Jim & Ruth

Our first CC members cruise was last spring on the Maasdam. We set the first meeting for the Crow's Nest, 9:00 - 10:00pm. We also set up a secondary meeting the following afternoon in the Ocean Bar between 4:00-5:00pm. Almost everyone showed up the first night - we had 30+ (with kids and significant others) we had such a blast!

Our group ending up spending quite a bit of time together and it really had a positive impact on our cruise. We look forward to meeting up with fellow CC's on our Spring 2005 Volendam cruise (doone is booked as well :) ) and it should be a wonderful time.

We haven't met too many from the upcoming Noordam, I think joanagain is the only other CC'r booked that I know of.

Archived