Does service suffer at a table for two?

noblepa

My wife and I just returned from the April 7 sailing of the Zuiderdam. We're somewhat private people, so we asked for, and got, a table for two.

Overall, the cruise was wonderful. It was our first visit to Half Moon Cay.

Our waiter was adequate, at best. However, I noticed that he was much more attentive to larger tables that he served. I also noticed other couples, who seemed to be getting no better service than we were.

For example, one evening, he brought my soup, but not my wife's salad. It took quite a long time (I estimate over five minutes; seemed like ten), before she got her salad. This was not an isolated incident, either, just one of the most egregious examples. We almost always had to wait for our menus and to have dishes cleared between courses. When he brought the food, he simply dropped it off and left.

Two years ago, we took our first cruise on HAL, on the Veendam. We had a table for two that time, as well. I remember the service being a bit iffy on that trip, as well, although not quite as bad as this time.

Last year, on the Oosterdam, we were travelling with my brother, sister and their spouses, so we had a table for six. Our waiter was fabulous!

We were on the Carnival Glory, before we discovered HAL, and observed the same thing.

On the other hand, our cabin steward on this trip was the best we've ever had, so I don't think that we're just people who can't be pleased.

Is it just us, or has anyone else ever noticed this?

I suspect it was your particular steward. We have had excellent service at tables for two on multiple HAL sailings.... If you have a problem in the future, mention it right away to the assistant maitre d' and I'll bet you'll see a quick improvement.

It also sounds like you may have been on a cruise with a lot of spring break folks - other threads talk about the reduction in service on a heavily booked cruise....

Two out of our last three cruises we had tables for two that were near the waiter's station, so it was very easy to catch his eye frequently, and consequently we had great service. The 3rd time we were a little more isolated, but still got good attention from the assistant waiter. I think you were just unlucky.

Au contraire, we've always gotten what seemed to be better service at our table for two than those at the larger tables around us. Now it's true that when taking orders from, or serving to, a table for 6, 8 or 10 it can be a few moments that we might be waiting we've never felt "underserved". Usually, in fact, the steward will take our orders (and serve us) first so that we won't have to wait while the large table "converses" about the various menu items.

On the other hand, although we've never sailed on the Zuiderdam, the impression I've gathered over the years is that the staff on that ship tends to be newer, and stay for a shorter time, than on other HAL ships. We've always been fortunate to get stewards and assistants with a good deal of experience.

Since my DH is hard of hearing, we always ask for, and have received, a table for two. On our recent Ryndam cruise, the service on the first night was not up to standard. When the maitre de asked how everything was going we confided that it was not up to par. From that night on the service was excellent and our waiter, Denny, could not have been more helpfull. Could have just been the first night was an off night but I believe it pays to speak up when things are not right.

Just this past Christmas, we had a table for 2 on the Noordam, & we received excellent service. Prior to this cruise, we were on the Carnival Glory, had a table for 8....& the service we received was horrible. So in essence, it comes down to the server.

We have had tables for 2 on most of our cruises, I think it all depends on how much time they have, for us we have consistently had good service no matter table size. However, I will admit it often has to do with how many other people the steward has to serve and if they get there close to dining time.

I think generally tables for two are served more quickly than larger tables. We like twotops, and are prompt in arriving in the dining room, so we are usually served before the larger tables where sometimes people take longer to arrive and settle in.

Having said that, last year on Statendam our waiter was not that great ... we received the wrong orders twice during one dinner. So we used the Lido and the Pinnacle for the other nights .....

Carol in SC

Always have a table for 2 and on the rare occasion when I think service is not what it should be, I just make a point of telling the waiter what I expect. We never eat every course, so I let them know up front that we prefer not to wait between courses for other tables to be served and finish. I believe in being proactive in these situations; theyare all more than willing to please, but you have to let them know what you expect. It also helps that we are always at the table on time, and they know to take our order first and the asst waiter will bring the first course while other bigger tables are not still filled and ready to order.

we just returned from a carnival miracle cruise and had some of the best service we've ever recieved bar nobody. we had a 2top and were nervous at first but it turned out great and we were halfway thru our meal before the large tables had settled in, While i did miss the comraderie of a larger table i didn't miss waiting for them all to stumble in:D .

Just got back from a table of 2 on the maasdam. Service was better than when we had a table of 8 a few years ago. I think it all depends on the server. If you have concerns, talk to your area supervisor, it is their job to sort out issues!

Based on limited experience at a smaller table I suspect the smaller table size as the only variable gets you faster service.

On my '04 Rotterdam cruise I was at a table for four. We had the same steward (excellent, btw) that I had on the '03 Rotterdam cruise at a table for six. The service at the smaller table was sooo much faster.

We were in, seated, and ready promptly. Our orders were taken, and food served before the nearby larger table I had been at the year before. I think the stewards may move from smaller to larger tables in order as SOP.

Au contraire, we've always gotten what seemed to be better service at our table for two than those at the larger tables around us. Now it's true that when taking orders from, or serving to, a table for 6, 8 or 10 it can be a few moments that we might be waiting we've never felt "underserved". Usually, in fact, the steward will take our orders (and serve us) first so that we won't have to wait while the large table "converses" about the various menu items.

I almost (but not quite) feel guilty at receiving more attention at a table for 2 (which I always get, one way or another) than those at larger tables receive. As you mention, it is somewhat a matter of timing. I imagine if I cruised oftener I'd have some steward problems, but I've been very fortunate so far.

We always request a table for two - even when the request is not met, a change has been made by the second evening. We have NEVER received poor service and much prefer being by ourselves for a nice - slow dinner.

Have been reading this thread with great interest as we are first time cruisers this August on Rotterdam. When I read about the person with hearing problems choosing a table for 2, I shared it with my husband who is also hard of hearing, esp in a crowded noisy room. His question was" If we have to wait at a table of 8 for everyone to arrive, what happens when some of your table mates don't arrive at all for a meal? Do we sit there a long time waiting before being served?"

Also, do you feel isolated and missing out on fun etc if you have a table for 2?

And, do you have to sit at the table for 8 for all breakfast, lunch and dinners if that is what you have signed up for?

I would love any feedback or suggestions from you all who have done this before. Many thanks from a novice!

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know if I feel any better or not. You all seem to have had exactly the opposite experience than we did. Perhaps I'm just paranoid.

As I said in my original post, we also received less than stellar service on the Veendam, two years ago. This time, we didn't think that our server was giving the greatest service to the fourtop next to us, either, but it seemed better than we were getting. Maybe the grass is just greener...

I guess its just us. :(

We still had a great time!

Our experience has been that we got the best service on a table for two. We don't like to spend two hours in the dining room. We study the menu during the day, place our order promptly and are out of the dining room and off to the dance floor in about an hour.

In contrast, when we had a table of 6 or 8, dinner was torture. Some people arrived late, some ordered drinks and other didn't, some couldn't make up there minds and had to study the menu for a half hour. Dinner often took so long we had to skip dessert to make the show. We treasure a table for two which is one reason we like NCL's freestyle dining as we never have a problem getting one in numerous dining venues. On HAL, it takes some pre-cruise machinations to assure we get a table for two.

Paul,

I doubt sincerely that it's "just you"!!

Sometimes, it is most definitely your server.

Othertimes, it is the order in which your server works his/her section. If the server goes to the larger table(s) before your 2-top, for instance.

But I suspect that you will find on almost any ship out there that a request for more attentive service (and be specific about what you want/need) registered with the maitre'd or dining supervisor will bring you and yours some speedy results.

His question was" If we have to wait at a table of 8 for everyone to arrive, what happens when some of your table mates don't arrive at all for a meal? Do we sit there a long time waiting before being served?"
The dining room doors close 15 minutes after they open, so you shouldn't have to wait very long. However, even after everyone arrives, some want drinks first, some just want to socialize and aren't ready to order when the waiter arrives for that purpose, etc. We much prefer to be at a table for 2, or 4 at most.
Also, do you feel isolated and missing out on fun etc if you have a table for 2?
It seems we always end up in conversations with nearby tables of 2 or 4 ... not with 6 or larger though.
And, do you have to sit at the table for 8 for all breakfast, lunch and dinners if that is what you have signed up for?

No, breakfast and lunch are open seating, whether in the Lido or dining room. However, in the d.r. you can still request, and usually get, a table for 2 if you wish.

Not at all! There are nearby tables (for 2-, 4-, 6- or 8) where you'll see the same folks each night and often exchange pleasantries with them. We found our best 'socializing' though occurs in the various lounges just before dinner - the Crow's Nest is a particularly good place to encounter others for a chat. We will eat at a larger table for lunch (never breakfast - no one is at their best first thing in the morning! ;)), meet others on excursions, chat with other people from our Roll Call, etc. - there's never a dearth of activities with a 'socializing' nature, yet none give us that feeling of being "trapped" as bad dinner table companions can ;).

We usually sit at a table for 2 unless we are traveling with family or friends. We've had excellent service at the tables for 2 and we've had excellent service at larger tables. I do have a slight hearing problem which can make hearing difficult in noisy rooms. I don't sit at tables for 6-8 because of that. I like socializing with other people and find plenty of opportunity to do that at breakfast and lunch, as well as in the lounges and on shore excursions.

Whenever things have not been to my liking in the dining room (rarely), I mention it to the dining steward in a very pleasant way. I would certainly mention any problem to the dining room supervisor or MaitreD before I'd move to the Lido or PG for meals.

Archived