What makes a great cabin steward?

tonyrobin

To my DW, I'm sure that would make a fantastic steward in and of itself! Overall, I'd say a good steward is one who doesn't intrude, yet makes him/herself aware of your preferences and needs ... and supplies them. That's probably an over-broad statement, but knowing when to be helpful and when to be in the background is a real service skill. Also, one who catches on quickly what times you're generally out of the cabin so it can be cleaned up before you return. (Very hard, I know.) We are not too picky in this regard since we don't have personal servants at home. Just tend to the basics in a timely manner and we're happy campers.

I guess people think a CS is great if he does anything you want and need immediately with a big smile. And cares about you, your children and grandchildren.

Personally, just make up the room, fill the ice bucket, say 'hi' once in awhile. I don't even need them 2x a day-once is enough.

MaryAnn

What makes a great cabin steward???

One who:

1. Asks or already knows your name and takes the time to introduce himself;

2. Greets you warmly in the Hall or even in town if you happen to "bump" into him in Port;

3. One that learns quickly that you like your ice refreshed in the late afternoon after an initial request, and knocks and offers it each evening from then on out;

4. One who manages to know when you are at breakfast, even on sea day and has made up your room in record time, yet the cabin is neat and clean, as well as the bathroom well restocked and cleaned;

5. One that goes searching for the yellow sweater that got misplaced in our laundry order; etc. etc.

There are so many things, but in essence it's one that does that little extra.... I assure you if you ever have a "great cabin steward" you will know it!:cool:

The best cabin steward is one I never see, yet never have to go looking for.....

I agree.

I always expect and enjoy them coming to our cabin to introduce themselves at the first opportunity. I usually tell them right at "introduction" the few regular requests we always have. I do not want them underfoot. Other than a smile and a hello, I don't want to see much of our steward. He should be in our cabin when we are not; have it cleaned and orderly and be gone. And, on HAL, that is almost always the caliber of our stewards...... A-1, the best, wonderful!!

I like to see him in our "general vicinity" from timeto time to say a quick hello to and to thank for "the nice care he is taking of us".

As much as they learn our pattern, I like to learn his so I know where/when it would be easy to find him if needed.

That's one of the best things about Neptune Lounge.......they'll find him for you if you request.

3. One that learns quickly that you like your ice refreshed in the late afternoon after an initial request, and knocks and offers it each evening from then on out;

That is the only special request I ever make of the room steward....ice in the afternoon. I'm usually thirsty in the late afternoon/early evening and like a cold drink of some kind, and I'm one of those people who fills the glass halfway with ice. Any cabin steward who gets it and has the ice there for me definitely benefits at tip time. I will overlook a lot of other things for ice!

On my Alaska cruise this summer on Celebrity, the cabin steward came in and introduced himself (very nice) and said if we needed anything, we could call him or his assistant. I said the only thing we would like is a bucket of ice each day around 4:00 pm. He said: "We fill the ice bucket in the morning and in the evening." So....every afternoon I had to call and ask for ice. The rest of the cabin service was fine and I did give him a better than average tip, but he would have come out a lot better if I didn't have to make a special request each day.

:)

Cabin steward - one who comes and introduces himself within minutes of our arrival at the cabin. Asks if there is anything we need special. Makes certain that ice bucket is always filled. Takes care of our room promptly when we aren't there. Appoligizes if we are out on the verandah and he has to come into the room to check on anything.

We have been fortunate to have very good room stewards on HAL. In fact, we have had the same room stewards and yet we were on different ships.

:)

One who:

introduces himself soon after we first arrive, helps us learn to pronounce and spell his name if necessary and remembers our name

learns our morning habits so knows when we are likely to leave our cabin in the morning and makes it up in a reasonable time

keeps our bathroom looking ship-shape

is visible in our corridor often enough that we can learn where and when we can usually find him

is pleasant and willing when we make a request for hangers, ice, etc.

I agree with what has been posted thus far.

An introduction upon getting settled in when arriving, a quick "hello" in the passageway, and that's fine. In the cabin, clean it up and back out again without me seeing him/her, yet I can walk though and do a "room inspection" and come away with no discrepancies (and I've done a few inspections in my time).

Taking care of any special needs I request at the beginning of the voyage is also important. Keeping things "Ship Shape" and doing those little "extras", that goes a long way with me.

I have enjoyed reading this thread.

It occured to me - "What do they think of the Passengers?"

Underappreciation is such a key issue in all relationships.

At home would I leave my room scattered and in a disarray? Unaccustomed

as my personal life is to "servants" (indentured or otherwise) it only seems

unaccceptable to not think of the enormous services they provide to make our Cruise "Worry Free" from the usual chores of daily living. After all, is that not one of reasons why we pay to escape momentarily from the usual?

One of the best instructions a comedic Cruise Director told us on our first cruise....."Please do not pack the Room Steward!"

I am sure they must be proud of what they contribute to the value of our Cruise Experience.

But then, I spoil easily! :p :p :p

Sinbad, you're right. But it is shameful to me to witness how some fellow pax treat the ship's hard-working crew. It's as if they were truly indentured servants. Thanks for the reminder that we need to be more aware of how much these men and women add to our cruise vacations.

In addition to what has already been posted, I believe a good cabin steward anticipates and fills a need even before you realize there is one!

If he sees that the soap is getting small, the shampoo or lotion bottle is getting low and puts the replacement out he's gone "over and above".

:) Hi...Just wanted to say....About what makes a good passenger....I agree with you....

I was raised to say please and thank you........Have you ever sat at the same table with folks who don't say a word to their waiter?....They only place their order..and hand him back the menu..without a glance:confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Sometimes those are the things that make me go "hmmmmm"........

I know not all passengers want to chit chat with their wait staff........but my goodness, "Please and Thank You" are part of being courteous! I am glad I know those words and what they mean:D

Archived