Newbie on the Mercury questions help PLEASE

anyname

I have sailed on 2 other cruises on different lines but this is my first time with X. I will be going to Alaska on the Mercury and have been reading the board like crazy! Could someone be so kind as to answer a couple of questions for me?

1. I read where people say they can eat at the Spa. Is this right and is it free?

2. We have room 8004 - is this okay or would you change? We picked it because it appeared larger and we have our 4 year old twins with us.

3. Can you really order anything the menu list from room service? I don't think we could do this on our other cruises.

4. I don't want to seem greedy but I love shrimp cocktail and I just don't know how to ask for it if it isn't listed. Would that be available through room service?

5. Do they have any anniversary packages? On another cruiseline we were able to get a package that had a dinner, wine, cake, photo and massage - it was great. we would love to do that again.

Thanks for your help!!!

Autumn

I have sailed on 2 other cruises on different lines but this is my first time with X. I will be going to Alaska on the Mercury and have been reading the board like crazy! Could someone be so kind as to answer a couple of questions for me?

1. I read where people say they can eat at the Spa. Is this right and is it free? Hi, the Aqua Spa Cafe is only the M-class ships and Century.

There is no area to eat in the Spa on Mercury.

2. We have room 8004 - is this okay or would you change? We picked it because it appeared larger and we have our 4 year old twins with us.

8004..great location with a BIG WINDOW

3. Can you really order anything the menu list from room service? I don't think we could do this on our other cruises.

4. I don't want to seem greedy but I love shrimp cocktail and I just don't know how to ask for it if it isn't listed. Would that be available through room service? How you ask for it? When you order your appetizer just ask the waiter if it is available.

5. Do they have any anniversary packages? On another cruiseline we were able to get a package that had a dinner, wine, cake, photo and massage - it was great. we would love to do that again.

I know they have cakes for anniversaries and birthdays. Wine, photos, massages are available but they are extra.

Thanks for your help!!!

Autumn

Enjoy your cruise.:) I sailed Mercury last month and had

a wonderful time.

Can you really order anything the menu list from room service? I don't think we could do this on our other cruises.

. I don't want to seem greedy but I love shrimp cocktail and I just don't know how to ask for it if it isn't listed. Would that be available through room service?

Hello Autumn....

You will love Celebrity. A Great Cruiseline.... and the Mercury is a great ship.

During the hours that the dining room is serving, you can order off of the dining room menu...and have the food delivered to your cabin.

This fact is not well advertised. In fact, it may not be advertised at all.

Shrimp cocktail is only seen on the menu on a few nights.

My experience on 4 Celebrity ships has been that it is always available in the dining room at dinner. Just ask for it. People do this ALL THE TIME. Your waiter will not think anything about it.

Another item that is always available... is a caesar salad.

We were on Mercury in Jan and they now have listed on the left side of the menu all the items that you can order every day even though it's not on the menu of the day. We were very excited to see escargot. I think I ordered it at least every other day! Shrimp cocktail, caesar salad, NY steak, baked potato were a few of the items I remember. I've often seen these items mentioned on the boards as "Celebrity secrets". Well the secret is out. They are there for everyone on board to see. And it was very nice to be able to order off the dining room menu if you just didn't feel like getting dressed or if you had a shore excursion that made it impossible to make it to early seating. We had a Sky Suite, so the butler delivered dinner course by course, just like you would get served in the dining room. I don't know how it comes if room service delivers it. You will love Mercury and her crew - they were the best. We can't wait to get back on her for our trip to Australia in Jan.

Cheryl

Thanks for the help!

My in-laws have sailed X but not the Mercury. The told me the Spa was a dinning venue - that was confusing as I thought maybe it was a place where you got food IF you were their for a service. Nice to know it is an option for all!

When we were on NCL they had some "everday" items too - salmon, beef, baked potaotes etc. I love that idea as some nights it is nice to order a known staple LOL

I LOVE being able to eat in our rooms!!!

Anyone been in room 8004?

Autumn

There is also a spa cafe on Century but it is limited to cold food only as it doesn't have its own kitchen. The Spa cafe is listed in the brochure for Mercury on the Australia sailing but I have not heard any mention of it being added in the changes which have taken place last year and just recently in dry dock.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the help!

My in-laws have sailed X but not the Mercury. The told me the Spa was a dinning venue - that was confusing as I thought maybe it was a place where you got food IF you were their for a service. Nice to know it is an option for all!

When we were on NCL they had some "everday" items too - salmon, beef, baked potaotes etc. I love that idea as some nights it is nice to order a known staple LOL

I LOVE being able to eat in our rooms!!!

Anyone been in room 8004?

Autumn

Hi, I have friends who were in 8004 last year when

we sailed to Alaska. It is a large cabin with a BIG WINDOW:D

Hello Autumn....

You will love Celebrity. A Great Cruiseline.... and the Mercury is a great ship.

During the hours that the dining room is serving' date=' you can order off of the dining room menu...and have the food delivered to your cabin. [/color']

This fact is not well advertised. In fact, it may not be advertised at all.

Shrimp cocktail is only seen on the menu on a few nights.

My experience on 4 Celebrity ships has been that it is always available in the dining room at dinner. Just ask for it. People do this ALL THE TIME. Your waiter will not think anything about it.

Another item that is always available... is a caesar salad.

While on Mercury in Jan/Feb I had shrimp cocktail EVERY night--and lots of nights I had salmon--also mostly caesar salad..steak & baked potatoes are also available each night (I think) the food was GREAT!!!

1. I read where people say they can eat at the Spa. Is this right and is it free?

The Mercury does not have a spa cafe. That is limited right now to the M - Class ships and the newly renovated Century. The M - Class ships have a much larger selection of items.

8004 is an excellent room with a large window, sofa bed and lots of room. As far as I remember there are no uppers so your twins will have to sleep on the pull out or a rollaway. It is only one flight down to shopping and other ship venues.

The room service menus vary, I have not stayed in an ocean view so I can't confirm, but the Concierge class menu is different than the suites menu. However the one time I did order ( Pasta ) it was very good.

4. I don't want to seem greedy but I love shrimp cocktail and I just don't know how to ask for it if it isn't listed. Would that be available through room service?

Never ordered shrimp cocktail from room service. However it is on the 'everyday' list on the left hand side of the regular diningroom menu ( they also have a vegetarian menu ). also listed are escargot, grilled salmon, steak, and chicken breast..Creme brule is also available if you ask nicely.

They do have packages, but Mercury does not have a specialty restaurant, so its not a good buy, only the main dining, casual dining, sushi in the back of casual dining 6 - 10 most nights, and the grill which has burgers and such. For an anniversary ask the Maitre'd and he'll bring over a special cake at no charge and the staff will sing to you. Photos are available and taken everywhere. If you are in a suite you will recieve a private sitting, not a free photo. As for the spa. Its best to book a massage on port days as they offer bargins. If you don't have an early excursion, or get back early from an excursion....that is your best bet for a good value. In Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway you will be docking right in town and only a few steps from shopping and dining options. For sea days I would recommend the T-pool, however children are not allowed, so it may not work for you. But it is a very relaxing experience.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dave:eek:

Thanks for your help!!!

Autumn

Thanks for all the info! I wll be looking into the Spa as I love massages and have barter into a one hour one every week in exchange for painting a mural in hs newborns room! I may have to do more because I am getting way too use to them!! I hope I can get a deep tissue one :)

The kids are great little travelers as they already have 6 countries under their tiny belts LOL A little bonus of international law ;) We are going to arrange for in room sitter for the kids so we can have a special dinner.

I am reading your Alaska review and enjoying it very much although I think I will skip jumping into the pool LOL but, I WILL be eating a ton of shrimp cocktail!

There is a charge for the T-pool on Century class ships unless you are Captains club elite, or staying in a suite.

The T-pool is like a giant spa, with different levels of bubbles, water down spouts, whirlpools, and lounging stations.

It seems a bit pricey for the week long package, but it is usually NOT very busy and it is very relaxing and peaceful. If I were a first time cruiser with X I would choose the T-pool over a massage in the spa as it is about the same price for the unlimited use week as it is for a deep tissue massage that lasts 90 minutes. I do however believe its up to personal opinion.

Autumn: I wanted to apologize for any misunderstandings. I just saw the other thread had been closed...I hope it wasn't because of us:confused: .

One of my pet peeves is the dress code. For others it may be another issue. I just happen to be really anal about it, so I apologize if I scared you off a bit. Everyones opinion is welcome here, but sometimes we get so involved, we get close to crossing the line. I declare a truce.:)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my review of Alaska, it was a spectacular trip. I try to be fair and unbiassed in my reviews......except when

I can't find my darned hand painted christmas ornaments:D .

You'll have a great time on your trip!. You've got a wonderful cabin, and an amazing ship.

Dave:eek:

Cabin 8004 pictures are in my signature. Only two considerations: 1) long walk to anywhere but might be to your advantage allowing the 4 year olds to burn off energy and 2) Anchor is extremely loud in tender ports and would wake the dead. Otherwise great view and way larger than the standard cabin.

Never tried.

It is always available in the dining room along with Escargot.

Check their website for what is available. We had one anniversay on Horizon which had a large party for all anniversaries then another cake delivered in the dining room by all the surrounding wait staff. We did nothing except put down the date of our anniversary.

Thanks for your help!!!

Autumn

Enjoy yoiur cruise!

"We are going to arrange for in room sitter for the kids so we can have a special dinner. "

I had a wonderful woman for in cabin babysitting last summer on Mercury for my son with Down Syndrome. Her name is Alba and you might inquire if she is still on the ship. My son loved her. Arrange for the babysitting ASAP to be sure that you are able to get it.

Autumn

There is a limited room service menu that is available 24/7, but during the normal dining room hours, you can order off the dining room menu.

Celebrity offers several celebration packages.

If you go to the Celebrity website and go to the very bottom of the page (to the line that reads: About Celebrity ] Brochure ] Gifts ] Contact Us ] FAQs ] Travel Agent Finder), click on Gifts .

On the page that comes up (there should be two items - Bon Voyage Gifts and Celebrity Gift Certificate), click on Bon Voyage Gifts. That should take you to a listing of the different categories of gifts you can order.

Click on Celebration Packages. That will give you the items similar to what you have gotten on other cruiselines.

Thanks for your help!!!

Autumn

Here is a picture of your room.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2743224470069949464eWGXEe

Good luck with the twins.

We have 8007 reserved for our Mercury cruise next year.

Archived