Do you girls usually get a new outfit for embarkation day?

Lois R

:) Hi girls! Just thought I would ask...before you go on a cruise...I know most of you shop LOL...do you buy a new outfit to sailaway in?......I went to the beach today...they have the best shops and now that it is August all the summer stuff is already being slashed~anywhere from 20% to 60% off!

I found the cutest cutest top!...I already have new shorts....I am going to wear this on sail day:D ...it is a pullover..short sleeved..but not a "t-shirt" LOL...I know we have been there before;)

It has a white background........and on the front....is a fabulous design...first there is a golden color knot....it runs between 2 navy blue stripes......ok...in between the knot there is a wheel..(A SHIPS steering wheel) LOL...and the colors of the wheel...are a red and blue....

Not sure I explained this correctly....the knot kind of criss crosses and there is a spot in the middle where the wheel sits.

Now, inside the wheel.....(yes there is more)....within the wheel are small silver/gold dots (the only word I can think of) they are not "glitter".....but like a silver/gold embellishment! Maybe that is the word! Anyway...it is very tastefully done.....not garrish or anything....

It is defintely the "nautical theme"! And it was 50% OFF!!! Originally it was 35.00....and I probably would NOT Have bought it...but I got it for 17.50:D !!! It is very well made....actually it is a Petite and fits me perfectly!

I have a new pair of shorts and my starfish earrings and I will be set to CRUISE! 5 weeks from TODAY!!

Hi Lois!

Your outfit sounds darling!

I bought something, but don't know if I'll wear it. It's a zip jacket, shell and cropped pants. You can't predict the weather in Baltimore for October 24 (or any other day as far as that goes!). It could be Indian summer or freezing! Last Halloween, it was really hot and humid, the year before I had on a jacket, turtleneck, jeans and socks!

I'll have to wait and make a decision at the last minute - pending the weather forecast.

Hi Karen:) not sure I explained the top so it would make sense:eek: ....I will have to get a picture and post it on my webshots! The nice thing about sailing out of FLL..even in Sept..it is warm outside:D

Lois how is the weather in FL in late December? Last time we left Ft. Lauderdale in early December, I had to go shopping because it was too cold for me to wear the shorts I planned on. Your top sounds really cute.:)

hi:) I live in North Florida...so we are in like 2 different states LOL

But FLL in December can be cooler.....not cooler like Dec in the NE but cooler...

I would guess and say mid 60s to high 70s during the day..but it can vary down there. ( I lived there many years ago~late 80s.....)

I would tell you to keep an eye on the weather channel though.....you can always click onto their website...and get immediate weather updates!

Not any more. I used to but by now after 8 cruises I have a "cruise wardrobe" stuff I mainly wear on cruises. I have several tropicial looking tops. I usually pair one of them with a pair of white Gloria Vanderbelt jeans and a blazer. All this is basially classic stuff that never goes out of style. I usually have a pair of either white slacks or khaki slacks in my carry on bag that I change into for dinner that night.

I love that pair of jeans but hardly ever wear them or the white pants except when cruising-I am too sloppy and they are usually dirty after one wear of an hour or 2.

Since I fly in the day before, I always carefully plan my "Sail Away" outfit. After all, you never get a second chance to make a good first impression (or to have your Sail Away photo made.

I am sewing a new dress for it though.

I'm glad to know you gals get a new outifts too. I thought I was the only one!

Lois, yours sounds perfect...gotta love those 50% off sales!

Kohls has thier swim suits at 70% off.....I got lucky and found 2. Although one will be for at home, the other is perfect for my cruise.

Hi Arizona:) Yes, this top is really cute!....and if it had been the original price I would have passed on it...I think "SALE" is my middle name:D

Lois how is the weather in FL in late December? Last time we left Ft. Lauderdale in early December, I had to go shopping because it was too cold for me to wear the shorts I planned on. Your top sounds really cute.:)

Ft. Lauderdale in December is about as iffy as anywhere. I have seen it in the 80's and instead of the traditional Christmas meal we cooked out by the pool, and I have seen it in the low 30's having to cover all of the shrubs and bring in the potted plants in case of a nasty freeze. No one can predict the weather more than 2-3 days out, not even a meterologist.

Lois,

Your top sounds beautiful and very nautical. For my last 3 cruises, I have worn the same outfit for embarkation. It is a white mini skirt with very thin blue stripes. (I bought it for $5.00 on a summer clearance rack) with a denim backless top. It has straps on the back so that you can tie it. It is super comfortable. I love it!

Here in Miami I go to the beach to work on my tan on my Christmas vacation from work. It is usually not cold. (I'm a teacher)

Gymbrat:) .....have a question for you?...would you like to drive up to FLL when I am down that way?....I am going to be staying at the Mariott Marina...how would you like to join me for dinner?:D ....I know its a good 1/2 hour drive from Miami...(depending on where you live)..I will treat you to the meal!.....just a thought, no pressure or anything..just wanted to put the invitation out there.

Lois !!! I always love reading about your new outfits. It sounds darling.

I, too, like to wear a nautical type theme outfit upon embarkation. I just bought a Citiknits outfit for the plane ride, however, I don't know how I'm going to incorporate "nautical" to my outfit since Citiknits are your basic black, brown, navy colors...hmmmm...I'll think of something...:cool:

Janermarie- when flying I always wear a nice serviceable pantsuit that is comfortable but definetly not "cruise wear". If we don't fly in a day ahead-often I change into my "cruisewear" at the airport. Otherwise-I have something in my carryon bag and change when I get to my stateroom. As far as those embarktation pictures-I think I have bought 1 in 8 cruises as I never look good in them anyway. Hubby is always snapping away and videoing so it is not like I miss that picture anyway. He makes sure I have more then enough of horrible pictures of me.

Hi Mom:)....I have never purchased one of those pictures either....I stop for them to take it...but it isn't something I care to spend my $$ on.....but, I still like to have something new on:D

Right. I'm leaving this Friday and will start packing tomorrow. I've done the try on day and selected all my dinner/evening wear. So far, my wardrobe consists of entirely new clothes with the exception of a few travellers pieces. The embarkation outfit will probably be new, since almost all of those clothes are new, too. We planned this cruise almost a year in advance, too much time to find sales! I'm even going to have to leave a few things at home, I've got too much stuff. But, no one here better tell this to my husband, he's been saying this for years and I've been denying it. The only thing new I don't have is bras and underwear, that is because I'm obsessed with having clean stuff and have so much of that already I can't get my drawers closed.

Funny thing is, all the new clothing I have probably didn't cost as much as DHs new suit and shoes!

Hi Gymbrat...what is your first name?....(other than TEACH;) )!

I will be in FLL on Sept 10th:D .......staying at the Marriott Marina!

Lois - That sounds really cute!

JanetMarie - How about wearing navy citiknits and adding some red and white accents?

No, I usually just wear shorts and a t-shirt with a long sleeved shirt over it until I get to the airport and bring a capri outfit for the trip home.

We usually cruise in September when the weather is still decent here. This year I'm not sure what to do. We're flying out of NJ in December. We could have anything from 30s to mid-50s here at that time. Not sure what I'm wearing for travelling either way. I'm trying not to bring a coat. Guess I'll just have to wait and see as it gets closer.

lszu:) I was thinking the same thing....Janet..try a blue citinknits....and she has come out with some capri outifits in red too:) you can accessorize with white...red..or blue!

Planning on "black & white" theme when I board the ship: black/white large flower patterned linen cropped pants, w/black t-shirt (will I roast?) and sandals...with a black/pearl/charcoal beaded necklace. :)

My question is dinner that night? Is it really more "casual" than other evenings? On Princess it is either formal or smart casual - but I have heard that on embarkation day and last night - dress is more casual due to possibility of luggage not being available.....is this true? Do I stay in the linen pants for dinner? (traditional/2nd seating) or do I change (I presume I will have luggage by dinnertime?)...hate to be "underdressed" and make a bad impression on my first night w/my dinner mates! :eek:

Archived