Waterpark coming to Half Moon Cay

superstein61

Not sure if this has been posted here in the past, but it caught my attention at the Mariner's reception when the Hotel manager was talking about how HAL is seriously upgrading the activities / etc on Half Moon Cay and noted they will be building a Waterpark for the youngsters (and I assume the young at heart) to enjoy. Just curious if there was other info out there about this?

:)

HAL had this on their news release some time ago. And it has been written up in some of the new brochures.

So it is serious. There was talk on one of these threads a while back that the stingrays and horses were to be ready by November. Don't know if it will actually happen at that time.

:)

Just go to the HAL website and click on Signature of Excellence. The entire press release comes up and there is a paragraph detailing all the 'improvements' planned for Half Moon Cay, including horseback riding, Aqua Park, Wave Runner Park, and Stingray Adventure Program.

Whether in our opinion these will actually be 'improvements' or not will depend how and where they are done. If the lovely ambiance of the beach is ruined it will not be an improvement. However, if all are situated on the other side of the island it may be that the new activities will attract many of the younger family pax directly over there and the beach as we know it will become even more pleasurable. :p

Randyk47 I feel the same way. I think of water park and I think of Wet 'N Wild or Splash Mountain ... something like that. Surely the HAL facility won't be anything of that scale. HMC is so astoundingly beautiful, I am thinking (hoping) they will maintain its appearance just the way it is. Commercial development is not what the island needs.

We look forward to HMC as a way to "force" us to relax and wind down. Do nothing but sit on the beach, play in the water, nap in a hammock, and enjoy the tranquility. I'm the type that if there IS something to do, I like to go check it out! (I'm usually a go-go-go type of person). Even if there are other "upgrades" on HMC, I'm sure we'd still just enjoy the sand and the view. Maybe the waterpark will draw the kiddos off the beach to make it even more peaceful... :)

Randyk47 I feel the same way. I think of water park and I think of Wet 'N Wild or Splash Mountain ... something like that. Surely the HAL facility won't be anything of that scale. HMC is so astoundingly beautiful, I am thinking (hoping) they will maintain its appearance just the way it is. Commercial development is not what the island needs.

Agree.:mad: I just hope if they do it, it is on the other side of the island and totally out of view. To put it anywhere near that beautiful bay would spoil everything.

There's a good possibility the Aqua park will be similar to the one near my home. I live in a County Park that has the typical lake/camping/horsetrails etc.. But they do not have a beach for the lake. Instead they have a Water Park for the kids. There is no pool - just some water activites with fountains. There is a Noah's Ark for kids to climb through with water jets.. If this is what they are proposing it will be fun for the little ones. I think one of those large water parks with a wave pool is a bit much. Especially since you have the beach.

Here's a picture of what I was talking about.

http://www.hamiltoncountyparks.org/images/playgrounds2.jpg

http://www.hamiltoncountyparks.org/images/spring.jpg

If any of you have been to the Disney Private Island, you will know they have a "Play structure" that those who are young at heart can swim out to and play on. I assumed that when HAL said "Water Park" that they meant a simular structure. Maybe I am wrong, but I could live with the addition of a structure like that.

I am more concerned about what a "wave-runner" track will do. :rolleyes: I love swimming and snorkeling out into the water quite a ways at HMC, and I'd hate to think that I will have to be ducking wave runners in the process.

I see most of these changes as HAL's continuing need to "charge" for extras. I would assume most of those additions are proposed as a revenue enhancers for the company. I truly hope they don't ruin the island in the process:eek: .

Like everything else that carries an additional cost on board the ships , no one will HAVE to use this new water park thing whatever it turns out to be. If there is a fee to use it and you do not wish to pay the fee, you simply do not use it.

It would hold no attraction to us so if they charge; what they charge is moot (for us).

I certainly agree with everyone that I hope they do not disturb the beauty and serenity and specialness of HMC by building loud, disruptive, eye sores.

There has also been talk about installing horses and stingrays at HMC as well.

yes - he mentioned that as well. He said they have been training the stingrays to become accustomed to people for some time now - so they can offer an excursion like in the Caymans

OMG, that sounds like fun!! I've never been swimming wth horses in the ocean, and the idea of hopping off my waverunner to swim with the fish over the reef sounds just too amazing, as does snorkeling with the rays in a secluded lagoon...Thanks for that link!

The one part that makes me frown a bit is that the kid's aqua park is "conveniently located on the shore of Half Moon Cay's main beach", and will be too close for comfort to those of us not wanting to be around a million shrieking kids...JMHO.

yes - he mentioned that as well. He said they have been training the stingrays to become accustomed to people for some time now - so they can offer an excursion like in the Caymans

Training them huh? Wonder just how they go about doing that without getting "kissed" all the time...

Michaela - Thanks for that article. HMC sounds like it will become very interesting in the next few months. They mention that the waverunners will be in place this summer although I don't think that will be the case...probably in the fall now. :)

"....Half Moon Lagoon, designed especially with kids in mind, is a fun-filled aqua park conveniently located on the shore of Half Moon Cay's main beach that will provide Island-themed action and adventure in the sun...."

I think the location of the kids' aqua park, as described here in HAL's press release, will be the biggest potential problem for those who treasure the beach as it is now. It certainly doesn't sound here like it will be in a secluded area- 'conveniently located on the shore of the main beach'?

I would like to think HAL has enough sense to realize what a treasure that magnificent beach is and will not disturb it. HMC is an island....as such, it is beach all the way around. I cannot picture they will put their water park in the half moon beach we all love so much. HOPEFULLY, they will locate it at another stretch of beach ....around the corner; round the bend; wherever!!

I'm with you S7S! I just pray that they don't locate the kids waterpark next to the cabana we've rented!!!:eek: They say all of this will be done by the end of 2004. We will be there in December, so I guess we shall see!!!!

I do admit that the waverunner course sounds like a blast! As long as they are using another part of the island, it should be great!!:)

Has anyone who has been to HMC this summer seen any construction on the kids park??? Anyone have an idea as to the location???? Thanks in advance!:cool:

Archived