Waterpark coming to Half Moon Cay

superstein61

I hope the stingrays are ready. Both times we have been scheduled for Grand Cayman, the water was too rough to tender. I have wanted to see the rays, and this sounds great if we get a little education, too.

Yesterday Alison asked:

I thought I read somewhere that this water park/horse/stingray addition would be elsewhere on the island, away from the beach. What's on the other side of HMC anyway?

Water. :D

"....Half Moon Lagoon, designed especially with kids in mind, is a fun-filled aqua park conveniently located on the shore of Half Moon Cay's main beach that will provide Island-themed action and adventure in the sun...."

I think the location of the kids' aqua park, as described here in HAL's press release, will be the biggest potential problem for those who treasure the beach as it is now. It certainly doesn't sound here like it will be in a secluded area- 'conveniently located on the shore of the main beach'?

It sure sounds like they intend to screw up a beautiful beach.:(

One reason they are building a water park etc could be that now Carnival ships are using HMC they will have a lot more family groups who are inclined to use it. HAL, as a rule doesn`t have hordes of children on board....except at Holiday and school break times..and maybe on the Vista ships. I`m sure the bean counters have decided it will be lucrative for them. JMO......jean :eek:

I don't think many Carnival ships pull into HMC in the winter. There are too many HAL ships using it and often there are two HAL ships there at the same time. There may be days when no HAL ships are in and there is room for Carnival. I know Carnival goes there sometimes but is it alot?

May I have your opinions please? My husband uses a guide dog for the blind. Last January we were on a private sailboat excursion and we let the dog go swimming off the beach in St John. When we were previously at a cruiseline private island, we did not let him swim. Do you think it would be upsetting to other passengers to allow him to swim at HMC? We would not just let him loose. We have a long waterproof leash that my husband would use. We would also do any extra cleanup needed in the room if we have to shower him off afterwards. Or are there freshwater showers on HMC? We don't want to offend any one.

clopaw-

I think it would be wonderful!!! I can imagine any poor dog would be "toasty" on HMC with all the hair they sport. I would think that no one would have a problem with the dog swimming a bit, and frankly if they do, oh well! You can't please all the people all the time!!:eek:

I would just make sure that there is no one that doesn't want to get wet within a 5 ft radius of him when he gets out of that water, as all dogs love to shake themselves dry!!!;)

I hope you all have fun!!!!:cool:

It wouldn`t bother me either. Its not like a pool where the dog hair and dander are contained and make it difficult for people who have allergies. Just go a little further along the beach away from any children who might be playing in the water.....jean :cool:

You should definitely let your dog (Hero, isn't it) swim if he enjoys it. I don't know why anyone would object and if they do, they are just being ridiculous. This is an ocean--not an enclosed clorinated swimming pool.

If you are uncomfortable being around a lot of people and letting him swim, you could walk up the beach to the area near where the pink, yellow, and green cabanas are but still near the last lifeguard stand. The beach is much more secluded there because most people don't want to walk that far.

There are some freshwater showers, but we found they were really only suitable for rinsing off. You could use these to rinse off your dog (Isn't this Hero?) and then do the more extensive clean-up back in your room. I suggest that you get some extra towels and bring on-shore, though, because there are no extra towels on the private island--you are expected to bring the towel from the ship.

You might also want to consider renting a cabana, although it is costly for just two people (you might find another couple on your sailing who wanted to split the cost.) If you had rented a cabana, it also has a fresh water shower, but basically again for rinsing purposes. There is also an enclosed air conditioned area with table and chairs and plenty of room for your dog to stretch out away from the heat/sun. If you rent a cabana and get the pink or green one, you would be at the more secluded area of beach--you also get transportation to ride to and from the cabana.

Kathy

They won't "poop on the beach"?

Sorry.....couldn't resist. :o

Stopping horses from pooping wherever they like would be some task, even for HAL. And regarding the dog in the water, if they are going to let the horses swim in the ocean, why not a dog too??? :) I love watching a dog playing in the water.

Yes, it is Hero that I'm asking about. We don't have anywhere here to take him swimming, so he has never been swimming in the time that my husband has had him. We don't know whether he ever swam when he was younger. When we took him into the water in St John, my husband just led him out into the ocean. You could see in Hero's face that he wondered what was going on. Then a wave lifted his feet off the floor, and he looked like "OMG, get me out of here!" Suddenly he started moving his legs (paddling) and the light dawned. "Oh, this is why I have webbed feet. This is fun." I so much wish I had a picture of his face at that moment.

That's why I would like to take him again. We certainly wouldn't have him too close to others. Sometimes little children are nervous because he's a big guy, close to 100 pound black lab, but he's the sweetest guy in the world. I'm glad to hear you think it would be okay. Thank you all.

Clopaw....

Hero sounds like a wonderful "member of your family" and I cannot imagine anyone having a problem about him swimming with you and your husband in the ocean.

BUT, please remember that some children and indeed, some adults truly are afraid of large dogs. YOU know how well trained and gentle he is and how he would never hurt anyone....but fears are not always rational and some folks cannot help but be afraid of him.

I know you would not want to ruin their fun in the water so it is probably best to try and find a spot without a lot of other folks in the water. Someone who is afraid may not say anything as they would not want to sound unreasonable but they could be uneasy.

S7S, I understand completely what you are saying. My husband tries to be very aware of how people react to Hero. The other side of the coin seems to be more common: people trying to be too friendly to the dog while he is working. Luckily Hero has good powers of concentration.

Because of his size alone, I wouldn't want him swimming too near anyone else. Those big paws are powerful.

The first time we stopped at a private island with Hero, we let him walk on the beach, but no swimming. He had sand on his legs and belly so we rinsed him off in our shower when we got back on the ship, and I cleaned up the shower afterwards. Well, I evidently didn't get all the dog hair, because our steward came up and said, "Did you give Hero a bath?" We were very apologetic because we don't want to create extra work for the steward. He said, "Oh, no, it's not a problem. I will give him a bath if he needs one." Bernie (the steward) had tears in his eyes when he said goodbye to Hero. He told us he had never cried when a human passenger left.

We have been very fortunate in the many wonderful cruise staff who have been very kind to the three of us.

Why would they not be kind to you? You sound like wonderful, kind, considerate people yourselves.

Hope you, DH and Hero all have many wonderful cruises .....and fun swims in the ocean. :)

I would like to think HAL has enough sense to realize what a treasure that magnificent beach is and will not disturb it. HMC is an island....as such, it is beach all the way around. I cannot picture they will put their water park in the half moon beach we all love so much. HOPEFULLY, they will locate it at another stretch of beach ....around the corner; round the bend; wherever!!
Sad to say that reading that article indicates to me that the "aquapark" is indeed to be situated along the "main beach". That sounds to me like the heavenly beach that so many of us have come to love for its beauty and serenity.

Reading that link left me crestfallen to say the least. To take a magnificent beach like Half Moon Cay and literally plop such a structure in the middle of it borders, IMHO, on a criminal act.

The first time we stopped at a private island with Hero, we let him walk on the beach, but no swimming. He had sand on his legs and belly so we rinsed him off in our shower when we got back on the ship, and I cleaned up the shower afterwards. Well, I evidently didn't get all the dog hair, because our steward came up and said, "Did you give Hero a bath?" We were very apologetic because we don't want to create extra work for the steward. He said, "Oh, no, it's not a problem. I will give him a bath if he needs one." Bernie (the steward) had tears in his eyes when he said goodbye to Hero. He told us he had never cried when a human passenger left.

We have been very fortunate in the many wonderful cruise staff who have been very kind to the three of us.

This is such a touching story....brings tears to my eyes. What ship was this steward on? He sounds like a real gem.

Archived