Sovereign April 23 potpourri of suggestions

sdf89

Just came back and as usual, found Cruise Critic to be fantastic and very, very helpful. Rather than repeat so much, I will just pass along a few random comments to add to those already posted:

Junior Suite: puzzling why all the posts whether they get priority boarding like other suites. Port Canaveral has a line for deck 10... hence yes, priority boarding always there.

We were in 1544 and had occasional sewer smell on arrival. I ascribed to being at port, but DW complained, and attendant had maintenance do this roto-rooter looking hose down drain on floor, and never had smell again.

I thought food was excellent for an inexpensive short cruise, my wife thought, just good. (I am picky, incidentally).

My only repeat of a frequent posts by others: in Windjammer, go forward beyond main area and you find a less congested identical areas with better views!

the first comedian, Anthony Griffith, was the weakest entertainer we have ever encountered.... sorry. Jokes not funny. At least the humor was clean for the main show... The dancers and singers for nights 2 & 4 were outstanding. (we missed 2nd comedian, so no comment)

Now, for our main negative comment... Sovereign lovers, please exit out of this thread if you are sensitive... we found this to be a cruise in which we "got what we paid for" in fellow passengers... We paid a tiny fraction of what we usually pay... and so were pleased, but we did find an incredible increase in rude, inebriated passengers.

Lastly,and to really be risky, I will add that we found the smoking to be much more than we have ever encountered. Ok, only once did I encounter a smoker on the starboard side, but we were saddened how we could NEVER walk on the port side of any of the 3 outdoor decks without having to hold our breaths occasionally. This is very different from all our other cruises, in which we could walk circles on promenade deck or similar deck with rare encounters with a lot of smoke.

Atlantis: fantastic. I put a few further comments on the Bahamas board.

CocoCay: great. On my comment card, I begged Royal Carribbean to make drinking water free somehow on the island. In the meantime, be sure to bring water, since the only free water is when the lunch is open noon-2PM.

Sounds like you had a good time, despite any negatives! Sov. was my 1st cruise--and I still remember how awe-struck I was when we boarded! Yes, the shorter cruises do have a different "feel" about them, due to the passenger make-up. Just the nature of the beast!

Now, for our main negative comment... Sovereign lovers, please exit out of this thread if you are sensitive... we found this to be a cruise in which we "got what we paid for" in fellow passengers... We paid a tiny fraction of what we usually pay... and so were pleased, but we did find an incredible increase in rude, inebriated passengers.

Atlantis: fantastic. I put a few further comments on the Bahamas board.

Sounds like you had a similar experience to what we had on Soveriegn a few weeks ago. I totally agree with the fellow passengers comment, but I have found that it is that way with all short cruises, especially 4 nighters or less. Considering we paid $859 total for two people in our cabin and we usually pay over $3000, we thought Sovereign was one hell of a deal. We booked the same cruise for next April. It's not the same experience you get on the new ships, but it is a fun, cheap getaway.

We, too, went to Atlantis. We had to pay a fortune for a room since we booked sort of last minute, but it was well worth every dime. There is no doubt in my mind that we will do the same thing next time we are in Nassau.

Glad to hear you had an overall good getaway. Can't beat Sovereign for a short vacation!

I have done more than my share of short cruises and you will find all kinds on these cruises. Many first timers, those wanting to party, gamble and those looking for a cheap weekend get away. To me they are just about all the same regardless of cruise line. As far as rude guests, I have found plenty of them just about every cruise no matter of the length.

If I am going to take a short cruise then it's RCI for me and either the Sovereign or Majesty fits the bill just fine. Thanks for your review.:)

Archived