uniworld let us down

merryecho

Theresa (aka: coral):

I am not sure whether I remember correctly but I think her name was "Natalya" or "Natasha" or similar.

This chef this year was "Anthony". This may explain why people last year raved about the food and I found it significantly underwhelming.

• 4 weeks later...

Scan this board and you will read numerous examples of Uniworld's unethical dealings. We were recently bitten by their misrepresentation of the Paris to Normandy itinerary. Uniworld is not a company to do business with.

We recently booked a river cruise on Uniworld. We had earlier made a reservation, with $500 deposit, which we had to cancel. It turned out we could go after all, so our TA called Uniworld. They told us the cost of airfare had gone up, so the price would be $800 higher than before, and we would not get credit for the $500 deposit. No problem, all understandable. Payment was due in full the day we booked. Now, a week later, they have called and said airfare is higher than they thought it was, and we have to give them another $800! If they had told me this when we made the booking, I could have found my own airfare for less than this. To me, they made the contract, this should be their problem. Am I wrong?

Coventry, I don't think there are numerous complaints of unethical dealings by Uniworld on this board. But if you also scan other cruise lines, you will find complaints about them all to some extent. Last year, it was GCT taking alot of heat about similar situations, but there are many people that love them. Everyone has different experiences, likes and dislikes about a cruise and how situations are handled. Sorry if yours was not satisfactory. We will definitely cruise with Uniworld again as we had a great experience with them.

Hobse:

Caveat Emptor

Coventry, I don't think there are numerous complaints of unethical dealings by Uniworld on this board. But if you also scan other cruise lines, you will find complaints about them all to some extent. Last year, it was GCT taking alot of heat about similar situations, but there are many people that love them. Everyone has different experiences, likes and dislikes about a cruise and how situations are handled. Sorry if yours was not satisfactory. We will definitely cruise with Uniworld again as we had a great experience with them.

While I have only cruised with Avalon and Amadeus I hope to try Uniworld sometime soon, and Viking, except that they are so expensive. Incidentally I think Avalon will have an itinerary in France in 2008, but not Normandy. I was just looking at that same itinerary that Coventry was on and noticed that it had been changed for 2008; wonder if that includes the hours on a bus? At any rate, if you had been notified in advance, if you had already paid for the cruise, you would have been stuck. I guess the question is, when did Uniworld know that there was a problem? Did they know way in advance, or at the beginning of the season? Another thing to consider with river cruises is that if there is a drought, as there was several years ago, they will stick you on a bus, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Avalon will have a France cruise next year going from Paris to Nice or Nice to Paris.

When we were on the Avalon Tranquility in July we learned about this new route and also that most of the departures from Paris are already fully booked for 2008.

We plan on doing this cruise in 2009 IF all goes well.

Archived