uniworld let us down

merryecho

We recently booked a river cruise on Uniworld. We had earlier made a reservation, with $500 deposit, which we had to cancel. It turned out we could go after all, so our TA called Uniworld. They told us the cost of airfare had gone up, so the price would be $800 higher than before, and we would not get credit for the $500 deposit. No problem, all understandable. Payment was due in full the day we booked. Now, a week later, they have called and said airfare is higher than they thought it was, and we have to give them another $800! If they had told me this when we made the booking, I could have found my own airfare for less than this. To me, they made the contract, this should be their problem. Am I wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Benita. I have heard only great things about Amadeus. We have been to St. Peterburg about four years ago, but can't wait to get back there. This should be much different than the cruises we have been taking and we are looking forward to a low-key easy vacation. I have been following your posts and they have been great. I think I am starting to get excited - :)

An update- after much haggling on the part of our TA, Uniworld finally agreed to provide air at the original agreed upon price, but on a different carrier. My DH was taking this trip with his daughter and son in law, and the new flights meant they would not be traveling together. He doesn't see all that well, and gets a little confused sometimes on his own, so I was nervous. The connections were quite close, but he was given a number to call if there were any flight delays, so that someone would be there to pick him up.

Of course his flight was delayed, and when he called the number he got a recording saying they were closed. He ended up paying $200 for a cab ride from Marseille to Arles. He didn't get a receipt, so they will not give him a refund. At least he got there safely.

Don't think we will use this line again.

I couldn't agree more Pacmom. Unfortunately this was a special wine tasting group that had to be booked through their agent. I couldn't believe it when she emailed me saying we owed an extra $800. When I replied that this was not acceptable, she said "what would you like me to do?". I actually wrote a letter to Uniworld for her.

Dear Merry,

What a bummer!!!!! The only river cruises (5) we have done have been with Uniworld and each was delightful. An experience like yours would have me looking elsewhere also. We leave in 3 weeks for a Viking cruise on the Elbe--only total English speaking trip on that river. We'l see how a different lines does it. Don't stop travelling the rivers. Avalon is supposed to be quite nice. Travel safely and enjoy. Pat

Pacmom, we are signed up for the river cloud from Vienna to Budapest in July, booked through abercrombie and kent and our usual good TA. It sounds great, although there is next to no info about this boat, other than the short websites on AK and the ships owner. With AK in charge, it can't be bad.

• 4 weeks later...

The final insult on DH's first and last Uniworld trip. When Uniworld switched DH to Delta from Lufthansa, I objected because the flights they picked had tight connections, and the Atlanta-Paris flight has a poor ontime record. They assured me that there were frequent later connections to Marseille (not true) and that he could contact the boat via a number the gave him (didn't work) and he would be picked up when he arrived (not).

In trying to be reimbursed for the $200 taxi ride it took to get to the ship, Uniworld now tells me they are "not responsible for flight delays". In other words, even if you let them book the flights, and pay for transfers, if the flight they choose is delayed, you are on your own.

Buyer beware.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, So glad to see that some of you at least like Uniworld, as we are booked on 8th July Amsterdam/Budapest and this is our first river cruise, and all sorts of apprehensions are being aroused by reading most of the other messages. My husband heard only yesterday about terrorist activity in Germany, and we will be visiting Schweinfurt which is an US base I believe. Naturally one cannot just live in fear and we don't, but would hope the boat security is good. See from other Reviews that Germany still respects Sundays, and as we will be in Nuremburg on a Sunday, which is my birthday, had hoped to buy or get bought a special prezzie perhaps; will all the shops be closed do you think? (Have had birthdays before......so this isn't a crisis, but just of passing interest)

Have you done this actual trip, and if so, about what time do they dine in the evening, and is the wine list (wines not included apparently) as pricey as it is extensive? Do they add a service charge on drinks etc like major cruise lines? Hope to hear from anyone booked on the same cruise as us; we stay on 7th in Amsterdam, due to our flight time from home, and again an extra day in Budapest for the same reason. Hope to be able to get a taxi from ship to hotel near Opera House in that town. Enjoy your cruise.

The official authorized Taxi from the Budapest airport is Zona. They were awarded the contract this year by offering the best rates which are FIXED rates.You can arrange for the taxi at a booth in the arrival hall.I think the rates into town is 4600 or 4500 huf.

We did the Amadeus Russia cruise in September 2006 and the food was quite good - better than we anticipated. Theresa, who did the same trip a few weeks ago (goes by the name Coral) siad the food was terrible. Somebody said they may have switched caterers this year. If so, hopefully they will switch back.

Not sure where I heard this but someone mentioned that Uniworld has been sold. Anyone out there hear that? Never used Uniworld but have friends who used them a couple of times and were well pleased. Willard

Just when I thought Uniworld would be our choice, I read all of the above.

Four of us are thinking of a French river cruise next spring and Uniworld seemed to offer the best ship, size etc.

And Costco offers their cruises,(on specific dates) with added nights free.

But now I am worried about their reliability.

It was between Uniworld and GCT, but GCT ships are very small, holding only about 45 people, which would be okay with me, but the other couple felt 125 would be more to their liking.

None of us have river cruised before and all of us have only taken one other cruise, out of So.Cal., a short 5 day to Mexico on RCL.

So we are really inexperienced and would appreciate ANY guidance here.

LAX2FCO - Have you checked out Vantage - We did their Holland to Hungary and just returned from their China/Yangtze trip and enjoyed both. Just a suggestion. Vantage and Grand Circle are owned by two brothers. I think Vantage is above Grand Circle in ratings. Willard

LAX2FCO,

Don't let a couple of recent reported incidences with Uniworld sway you from trying them. We cruised with Uniworld and had no problems whatsoever and recommend them. We had a great cruise. If you search, you will find some complaints/issues from someone regarding every cruise line. There are always different experiences.

Trouvailless,

We didn't do your itinerary (we did the Danube), but to answer your wine question: on our trip there was always a red and white wine (bottle) special of the night that we always felt was reasonably priced. We always picked the special of the night and never ordered from the other wine list.

LAX2FCO,

Don't let a couple of recent reported incidences with Uniworld sway you from trying them. We cruised with Uniworld and had no problems whatsoever and recommend them. We had a great cruise. If you search, you will find some complaints/issues from someone regarding every cruise line. There are always different experiences.

I agree. We think Uniworld is great and will be doing our third cruise with them next week.

The original poster could have avoided their problems. For a few dollars they could have had custom air and arranged for the flights they wanted. That is what we do if Uniworld's connection times are tight. Also, travel insurance would have covered the taxi exspense. Every cruise company has terms and conditions, and Uniworld is no different.

I am not against Costco, but make sure you are personally dealing with a good travel agent. They make a world of difference if there are problems.

Trouvailless,

Thanks to all who followed up my queries. I have successfully reserved online with Zona at 3000HUF to Budapest Airport as suggested, and as we are not travelling from the States had to make our own arrangements.

I also note that the recommended wine for each day is probably the sensible choice anyway as it will probably be appropriate for the menu. Plus I checked out the message that perhaps Uniworld had been sold, but what appears to have happened is that they have been accepted into the Cruise Association of US, and also have appointed a top-notch guy from Holland America to their organisation. Have read their recent Company bulletins and nothing else mentioned. Looking forward to escaping the present West European and Great Britain weather and sailing under sunny skies on 8th July.

Perhaps the post about Uniworld being sold was referring to the fact that Uniworld is now a part of The Travel Corporation which purchased Uniworld soemtime in the past few years. This company also owns Trafalgar Tours and about 15 other companies in the travel business. Each company seems to be operated as an independent entity although the listings on Trafalgar's website for river cruises are identical to Uniworld's cruises.

Uniworld was sold and has gone through many execs..not a well run organization at this time..I was up in their offices and very disappointed..I suggest Viking as a good choice!

Jan

We just returned on 6/24/07 from our Uniworld river cruise on the River Royale and couldn't have been more pleased. The ship is beautiful. The crew, meals and included tours were all wonderful. We did a couple opitional tours as well and were very happy with them. We went with a large group that booked through a travel agency (the owner was on the tour as well) . Since we traveled from a different location we booked our own air and it went smoothly.

We also did the optional Paris pre trip extension and my only problem was that it wasn't long enough. Even though we arrived early morning in Paris on day 1, we had to wait until later in the afternoon to get into our hotel. The agency booked a minivan tour around town that was good. Our third day was largely spent traveling to the boat in Chalon and that took about 5 hrs. My suggestion would be to offer a 4 day extension so that there's more time to actually see Paris. :)

We have been on the Tolstoy last September. We did not expect cullinary treats and were pleasantly surprised. The food was not bad at all - not up to a high western standard served on the European ships, but absolutely not bad. The whole crew tried very hard to please us. The chef came frequently into the restaurant and went from table to table to investigate how people liked his food and what he could do to improve it. We found this refreshing. For example there were roasted potatoes for breakfast and they were kind of greasy and we told him (and other cruisers obviously too). Next morning they were not greasy any more !

We have been on the Tolstoy last September. We did not expect cullinary treats and were pleasantly surprised. The food was not bad at all - not up to a high western standard served on the European ships, but absolutely not bad. The whole crew tried very hard to please us. The chef came frequently into the restaurant and went from table to table to investigate how people liked his food and what he could do to improve it. We found this refreshing. For example there were roasted potatoes for breakfast and they were kind of greasy and we told him (and other cruisers obviously too). Next morning they were not greasy any more !

tban - do you remember who the chef was? I really think they replaced the chef this year.

The guy this year said "he could make food that people don't hate but his hands are tied".

Archived