Drink Cards-Info Please

So I have seen a post here and there about pre paid drink cards(alcohol). Some say this was something Royal offered in the past but no longer offers. I spoke to a friend last night and she said she saw something about it in the current newsletter. I do not have one becasue I am a newbie. First cruise was a few weeks ago. So could some of you that are more experienced please give your opinion or check the newsletter. Does this maybe only work on some ships or maybe on longer cruises?

Thanks in advance!

Jenn

I double checked the info from my TA. $59 per person per day is what she told me - only for groups of 50 or more! Could people in my group drink 12 beers in a whole day??? Yep!! Do they always do it - nope!! That's why I don't think this is any kind of deal! My TA told me that Norwegian has a much better drink package - don't know about any other cruise lines.

On my first cruise on The Explorer in 2002, drink cards were offered. I don't remember the exact price, but they were something like $40 for 12 drinks. You were able to buy as many as you wanted throughout the cruise. My son and his friend were on that cruise and got friendly with all the bartenders. Certain bartenders were "selling" them the same cards under the table for $20. My son and his friend kept getting them for our whole group. My son's friend went through 7 himself!!! I'm sure this is one of the reasons why they don't offer them anymore!!:eek:

I've heard here and there on the boards about a non alcoholic smoothie card good for so many smoothies a cruise, for the teenagers. Anybody have any knowledge of this? My kids sure would love to have one.

E-Beth

Yes, E-Beth, here is a link to some info:http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Adventure_Ocean_Fact_Sheet.pdf (scroll down to the bottom)

if they did offer a drink card at 59 pp per day that would be like 12 beers a day. do people really drink this much on a ship? i drink but i only have maybe four at the most

2 or 3 drinks at the pool, wine with dinner and a few drinks afterward would easily hit that amount.

Yes, E-Beth, here is a link to some info:http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Adventure_Ocean_Fact_Sheet.pdf (scroll down to the bottom)

Merion Mom thanks for posting this. I think I will sign my 17 year old up for AO just so he will be eligible for the Ocean Potion Card. He goes through those non-alcoholic drinks (miami vice, pina colada, etc.) like they are going out of style. He likes to hang with us adults, so I doubt he will attend many of their activities. (Old man at heart, I guess) Thanks!!

Merion Mom thanks for posting this. I think I will sign my 17 year old up for AO just so he will be eligible for the Ocean Potion Card. He goes through those non-alcoholic drinks (miami vice, pina colada, etc.) like they are going out of style. He likes to hang with us adults, so I doubt he will attend many of their activities. (Old man at heart, I guess) Thanks!!

Wow. They really do seem to have it out for the 18-21 year old set! Why on earth is there an age limit on these cards?

Wow. They really do seem to have it out for the 18-21 year old set! Why on earth is there an age limit on these cards?

I agree! I think if you aren't old enough to drink yet, they would offer this to them as well.:(

If I am not mistaken, the drinking age just went up to 21 within the past 6 months on board the ships. RCI really needs to take a hard look at this policy and offer the non-alcoholic drink card to the 18-20 group. I have a 19 and 20 year old and 2 16 year olds going with me in June. I can tell you the 19 and 20 YO will not be happy that the 16YO's get to have all the virgin pina coladas they can hold for a fixed price!

If I am not mistaken, the drinking age just went up to 21 within the past 6 months on board the ships. RCI really needs to take a hard look at this policy and offer the non-alcoholic drink card to the 18-20 group. I have a 19 and 20 year old and 2 16 year olds going with me in June. I can tell you the 19 and 20 YO will not be happy that the 16YO's get to have all the virgin pina coladas they can hold for a fixed price!

They could always share :) No flames please ;)

They could always share :) No flames please ;)

I don't think that this is a flame-able issue, QuietPeace. ;) It's not for unlimited drinks; it will be for a set number of drinks, so they don't care who is drinking them. :D

I don't think that this is a flame-able issue, QuietPeace. ;) It's not for unlimited drinks; it will be for a set number of drinks, so they don't care who is drinking them. :D

Sorry I am not familar with this as I have no children and have only been on one cruise. Just assumed it was unlimited for the kids card. I have so much to learn...I love CC :)

Archived