Is it time for Stein Kruse to find a new job?

bepsf

If you stopped buying products and patronizeing businesses because of their unfair labor practices, You would be living in thatched hut in a loin cloth eating twigs and berries.

I am sure there are many many companies, (way more than the ones we constantly hear about ) that aren't all on the up and up in some way or another.

You have every right to boycott any company you choose , for whatever reason you choose.

I know HAL won't go belly up because I take my next cruise on another line.

I know the Walton family isn't going to end up on Welfare next week because I buy my paper towels, bottle of ketchup, and light bulbs somewhere else.

The Golden Arches aren't going to crumble because I had a Whopper for lunch instead.

I agree with Dave (dakrewser). Spend where you get the best value for your dollar.

Jazzsea,

I agree with you 100%. I started off with positive comments on HAL and expressed one concern. I then get attacked by two posters for my views. If I was snide, it was because they were condescending. I am outta here. I am in Paris for a month and have better things to do with my time then look at these negative boards!!!

Jazzsea,

I agree with you 100%. I started off with positive comments on HAL and expressed one concern. I then get attacked by two posters for my views. If I was snide, it was because they were condescending. I am outta here. I am in Paris for a month and have better things to do with my time then look at these negative boards!!!

Not agreeing with another poster is not a personal attack. It is a different point of view.

I just came across Brian's post and I agree.

Let me add one more issue that has occurred on Stein Kruse's watch - information technology - i.e., computers. Does anyone recall that documentation nightmare that occurred a year ago when HAL went to its new reservation/documentation system that had been inadequately tested? We got our docs with two days to spare on the Noordam transatlantic last year.

And how about all the complaints about the HAL website that has new features added that just don't work when they are released?

In a world that is so dependent on information technology, it is unacceptable that a company like HAL would continue to have its computer operations so poorly managed. Testing is Rule One in information technology - and HAL management apparently hasn't read the book....

In my opinion the use of the word "snide" is a personal attack.

Snide is an adjective. I did not use this adjective.

I responded to Boomer's perception that my perspective was one of two personal attacks. I do not attack posters, but I sometimes have a different perception.

My what a tirade! My point is that HAL touts the new tipping policy without telling you the whole story. Again, if the Indonesian crew is unhappy and leaves HAL, I will probably leave too because they make the curise enjoyable for us. If that is not a concern of yours, fine - stay with HAL. You have made my point - to each his own.

Doug

As much as I don't agree with everything Hal does or doesn't do, I do not believe the cruise line is responsible for "telling you the whole story".

They are not responsible for informing the public about their hiring contracts, salaries, who pays for air fare or uniforms.

In a world that is so dependent on information technology, it is unacceptable that a company like HAL would continue to have its computer operations so poorly managed. Testing is Rule One in information technology - and HAL management apparently hasn't read the book....

IT has not been one of HAL's strengths. Lack of adequate testing is usually the cause of end user problems. I have no idea if the lack of testing is intentional or not. More than likely, it's slop but I don't know because I am not a part of the team that released the software.

Testing has a cost and many companies balance the cost of testing with the risk of failure. By this I mean, will failure cause a financial loss to a company or its clients or increase liability? Some of the most common off the shelf software we use is plagued with problems and nuance so obvious to the most casual observer and yet it was not detected in testing or if it was, the business decision was made to release it anyway.

So if inadequate testing of non critical functions is grounds to terminate a CEO's employment contract, perhaps we might first call for the same at MICROSOFT, Oracle, SUN, JAVA, LINUX and so on.

I am sorry that you did not get your cruise documents until two days before you sailed. I too like getting mine several weeks before a cruise so I can fondle them and I do until they become dog-eared. I also know that if they do not arrive it has no bearing on my ability to board my cruise. In other words, the docs are not critical documentation.

Jazzsea,

No one attacked "your views," simply disagreed with them. I did think that your comment "what a tirade" was snide. That's my opinion. But, perhaps you do need to get out of the kitchen for a bit....

;)

Aren't we the snide one. I'll bet you're even thinking of not getting gas on Tuesday to support the "oil boycott". Now I'm not trying to tell you where to shop or what to buy, and I've certainly stopped shopping at Circuit City because of their employee practices. Not that they've fired older employees, though, but because they now only hire untrained, uninformed people. You don't shop at MacDonalds or Walmart, but please don't expect that your action makes a bit of difference to their execs. Nor will a boycott of HAL make a difference. Except, of course, that you'll be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Spend your money where it makes the most economic sense to you, and let the market take care of the rest.

Oh Circuit City, they lost my business years ago. I brought back an item that was still in the package, unopened, had the receipt, and still being sold on the floor (one of those wall mounted TV stands) because I decided to get a larger TV. Because it was over 90 days they ABSOLUTELY refused to do a return even though I was fine with store credit. This was an item in perfect resale condition, not a scatch on the box. I wanted to purchase a more expensive item, ie give them more money. The Manager said no returns and no exchanges and they even had me in their system. So, I have never been back...

Oh Circuit City, they lost my business years ago. I brought back an item that was still in the package, unopened, had the receipt, and still being sold on the floor (one of those wall mounted TV stands) because I decided to get a larger TV. Because it was over 90 days they ABSOLUTELY refused to do a return even though I was fine with store credit. This was an item in perfect resale condition, not a scatch on the box. I wanted to purchase a more expensive item, ie give them more money. The Manager said no returns and no exchanges and they even had me in their system. So, I have never been back...

Another member of the Circuit City Boycotters Club here.

I actually did get satisfaction with my problem, but only because a district manager happened to be visiting that store that day and heard me rant. :)

Otherwise the 2 girls at the service desk, the camera department manager, the asst. manager and store manager all ranged from useless, to ineffective, to catatonic, to just plain stupid and rude.

I've been watching this discussion with some interest for a while. I had been meaning to give my opinion but I haven't been able to muster up the amount of energy to say just how much I disagree with a lot of the things said on this thread ;) .

However, I would like to take the time to talk a bit about deleted posts. I am afraid that those who mentioned in this thread that their posts had been deleted are mistaken. All of these members' posts on this thread remain intact.

We do ask that you not discuss post deletions or other moderation policies on the Boards, so if you have any other questions please feel free to e-mail myself or our Community Manager at community at cruisecritic dot com and we will be happy to help you.

I've been watching this discussion with some interest for a while. I had been meaning to give my opinion but I haven't been able to muster up the amount of energy to say just how much I disagree with a lot of the things said on this thread ;)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this when you have time. I've seen some good arguments on both sides. Maybe the subject line was controversial enough to get some people off the fence and post. Open discussion on ideas about cruising is one of the great things about this board, some people just need to not take things so personally. :)

Let me add one more issue that has occurred on Stein Kruse's watch - information technology - i.e., computers. Does anyone recall that documentation nightmare that occurred a year ago when HAL went to its new reservation/documentation system that had been inadequately tested?

anyone out there ready to blame Stein Kruse for the selection of toilet paper?

how bout the soap?

any thoughts about napkins or bar stirrers?

and let's not forget lemonade cups?

isn't it time to say "enough is enough":eek:

it's so easy to be "perfect" when you pick a single subject and pick it apart

it's so easy to sit in your living room and tell the quarterback what play to call on 3rd and 4

with due respect, it's time to move on

sort of feel like the Board has become the House of Representatives and the Senate is out there ready to start the formal impeachment hearings .. last time I looked, Bill was heading to the "Hall of Fame" and Hillary was running for President:rolleyes:

let's get to more serious threads like: do you think the captain should "toot" 3 times instead of 2 when leaving Port Everglades?:)

what's your thoughts Mr. President to be;)

I just came across Brian's post and I agree.

Let me add one more issue that has occurred on Stein Kruse's watch - information technology - i.e., computers. Does anyone recall that documentation nightmare that occurred a year ago when HAL went to its new reservation/documentation system that had been inadequately tested? We got our docs with two days to spare on the Noordam transatlantic last year.

And how about all the complaints about the HAL website that has new features added that just don't work when they are released?

Yes I remember. The odd part was Hal converted to the Princess reservations system. In this case, I believe it was more of a "conversion" problem rather than new software that did not work. It has worked for Princess for some time prior to Hal using it.

As far as Hal's web site goes, I agree. There is no reason that they should experience the number of problems that occur. It is VERY possible there is NO QA department. The person or persons handling the web site do it all.

As long as HAL is profitable for Carnival Corp, Stein Kruse is going nowhere. When it's not, he will be gone. Whether you or I like every individual change to the cruiseline is beside the point. The HAL board is betting that this is what needs to be done for HAL to compete and that the majority of cruisers will like what they are doing, even if these are pax new to HAL and the more traditional HAL customer goes elsewhere.

Whew! This topic got a bit fired up, didn't it?;)

Hammybee, I'm with you. I'm never quite sure why so many people seem to get so personally involved in criticizing the way HAL (CCL) chooses to run their cruise line. I just don't see it that much involvement in restaurants, resorts, etc.

As for boycotts, I used to boycott thinking I was making a statement. Finally I realized that in the long run we end up hurting the "little guy", the people who earn their living (whether we think it's sufficient or not) from these large companies. HAL, Walmart, Circuit City, etc., employ an awful lot of people who may not appreciate my boycott.

I was ready to boycott Citgo (because of Chavez), but remembered there are many small gas station owners who would be hurt in the process. So I don't boycott. When I get upset, I write letters. If enough people did this instead of boycotting, we might see more results.

As for HAL, as long as I can cruise on their ships and come away feeling I had a heck of a good time, I'll cruise on HAL. I read a lot of commentary by a few people here on the board about unhappy crew members on the ships and they may or may not exist (I suspect there are relatively few and you'll find disgruntled employees everywhere). But I haven't personally run into any of them. I've never met a crew member yet that didn't seem to take enormous pleasure in their work.

anyone out there ready to blame Stein Kruse for the selection of toilet paper?

how bout the soap?

any thoughts about napkins or bar stirrers?

and let's not forget lemonade cups?

isn't it time to say "enough is enough":eek:

it's so easy to be "perfect" when you pick a single subject and pick it apart

it's so easy to sit in your living room and tell the quarterback what play to call on 3rd and 4

with due respect, it's time to move on

sort of feel like the Board has become the House of Representatives and the Senate is out there ready to start the formal impeachment hearings .. last time I looked, Bill was heading to the "Hall of Fame" and Hillary was running for President:rolleyes:

let's get to more serious threads like: do you think the captain should "toot" 3 times instead of 2 when leaving Port Everglades?:)

what's your thoughts Mr. President to be;)

SEA KING......... LOTS AND LOTS of Toots!!!

NEVER too many Toots.

Change the rythmn; change the number; make 'em longer', make 'em shorter but I sOOOOOO love it when Captain toots the ship's whistle.....or is it horn? :confused:

Some one mentioned "Free Ice Cream "

I am just asking...don't have a dog in the fight :)

How come free Ice Cream is such a talking point ?

It seems to be a rallying cry on so many cruiselines. :confused:

As is Free Popcorn at HAL movies. I'm thinking the draw is the word 'free'. :D

....and "free" is certainly more appealing than "no additional charge". Believe me....the ice cream and popcorn are not "free". They are just paid for in advance as part of your fare. ;)

- Steve

SEA KING......... LOTS AND LOTS of Toots!!!

NEVER too many Toots.

Change the rythmn; change the number; make 'em longer', make 'em shorter but I sOOOOOO love it when Captain toots the ship's whistle.....or is it horn? :confused:

It's the ship's whistle but it sounds like a horn;)

Favorite one is:

Da

Da

Da

Da

Da

Da

Daaaa

Archived