Is it time for Stein Kruse to find a new job?

bepsf

Brian-just returned from the Zaandam today and read your post a short time ago and the responding posts, too! Very thought provoking post and interesting thread. I have to wonder about some of the changes, too.

This was our first cruise on a HAL ship with the spa-modification - and as I watched the Zaandam sail into Vancouver harbor last week, I was struck with how the spa addition detracts from the otherwise "clean" design of forward superstructure. Just awful, IMO.

Also, I was totally surprised when on Monday night, the Master Chef Dinner was presented--I, too, had thought this dreadful idea (IMO) had been canned, but alas, it was still "alive" on the Zaandam! It was the first time we had witnessed it and I could not believe how hokey this was--especially because it was also a formal night. The food was excellent, however!

We noticed changes in a few areas that we were not wild about and I will address those in another thread.

This is a very interesting thread. On the one hand every company must operate profitably and the cruise industry is definitely going mainstream with mass appeal while on the other hand HAL wants to portray a "cut above" image. Just came off the Rotterdam Black Sea Egypt on Monday and now back home. This was our 13th HAL. The changes are obvious and certainly worrisome for those cruisers who have enjoyed the HAL experience for some time.

While the food was good and the Indonesian staff are still attentive there is clearly a shift to more revenue generation. Its not just the $30 Pinnacle surcharge but also things like Park West being able to book out the Crow's Nest twice during scenic cruising through the Dardenelles and Bosphorus Strait, once during a rain storm. Park West (aka revenue) took precedence over passengers. To me this was inexcusable. Shore excursions are getting more and more costly. When you go to Egypt they know you want to go to Cairo. Nothing under $250. We used private tours everywhere with great success in Turkey, Greece, Egypt and Rhodes for much less money with private car and local guide.

But maybe the best indication of how the HAL attitude has changed was in Rhodes when an announcement was made at All Aboard time that we would be leaving late because some guests were arriving from the airport. Since Rhodes was not an embarkation port many wondered who was arriving and so possibly as many as 50 late dining passengers hung over the railing on the Promenade deck to see who was so important that the ship would wait. We knew they must be important folk since the Hotel Manager and other senior staff were awaiting their arrival. Over an hour after All Aboard a taxi pulled up and the first occupant out of the car could easily be heard to joke "Are we late". After greetings from the senior staff and bellboys carrying luggage they were whisked aboard. The next day we arrived at our next port an hour late on an already short port stay. We later found out that the special guests were corporate HAL employees, one apparently the VP Operations. In sum this wasn't a great inconvenience but to me it clearly represented the changing HAL corporate attitude.

Over an hour after All Aboard a taxi pulled up and the first occupant out of the car could easily be heard to joke "Are we late". After greetings from the senior staff and bellboys carrying luggage they were whisked aboard. The next day we arrived at our next port an hour late on an already short port stay. We later found out that the special guests were corporate HAL employees, one apparently the VP Operations. In sum this wasn't a great inconvenience but to me it clearly represented the changing HAL corporate attitude.

If this had been you or me, we'd have gotten out of that taxi to an empty berth. That ship would be gone. I know this for a fact, because we left three passengers in Rome on my Veendam TransAtlantic last month. They had to get to the next port of call to meet the ship at their own expense.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have been reading this thread for some time now. Yes, there have been a lot of changes on HAL the last couple of years and we all don't and won't agree that they are for the better.

But - one thing I would like to see come back -- bring back more REAL flowers all over the ships!! Get rid of those plastic things.

I too have read some of the posts relative to changes made for the crew. I have also read the link that Brian provided on a different thread that balanced some of these perceptions. I do not work for HAL or onboard a HAL ship, so I don't know what the deal is. And frankly, it's none of my business.

When I dine out I do not ask the waitstaff if they paid for their uniforms or transportation. When I stay at a hotel I do not ask hotel employees personal questions and would be disinclined to listen to a tale of woe, if they chose to offer one.

I can't help but come back to the same conclusion. If the employees in these service positions are still working on HAL ships, despite these "new" rules, then clearly it is to their advantage to do so. Otherwise, they would have been gone. Otherwise, HAL would never have put these changes in place because the line would know that they would lose all their good employees if they did.

I will be the first to agree that HAL's service staff works very, very hard. I know I couldn't put in the hours that they do ... and do it with a smile and a good attitude. However, I also understand that they make some very, very good money ... especially since the auto-tip program went into effect. Where at one time they got tips from passengers that were totally at the passengers' discretion ... and yes, you'd better believe that a lot of passengers tipped very poorly, if at all ... they now get almost a "guaranteed" tip amount each week, IN ADDITION to what passengers decide to tip them above and beyond that amount.

So, I'd be willing to wager that HAL's service employees ... at least the very good ones ... are bringing home a very, very nice wage each week ... far more than most non-service employees make. And, for that reason, HAL has found it only fair to make them pay for their uniforms and their flights home. After all, if they were working at land-based establishments, they would have to pay for their uniforms. They would also have to pay their commuting expenses.

Believe me, if HAL's service staff remains onboard despite these changes, you can bet your bottom dollar that they are only doing so because it is to their advantage. Simply put, they could not make anywhere near that amount of money working in their home countries ... or even in other land-based resorts here in the U.S.

So, while yes, it would be nice if HAL didn't charge them for these things, I have a feeling HAL is not asking a lot when they changed the policy. If it were not so, those service people would have bolted the day after the new policy went into effect.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If this had been you or me, we'd have gotten out of that taxi to an empty berth. That ship would be gone. I know this for a fact, because we left three passengers in Rome on my Veendam TransAtlantic last month. They had to get to the next port of call to meet the ship at their own expense.

Blue skies ...

--rita

To me the incident while not huge clearly indicates the corporate over customer shift taking place.

I agree with these thoughts by Rita and Hammybee. I think I said so before, but I was giving it more thought and realized that so often people on the outskirts of a situation will often make a judgment truly believing they're reacting in the best interest of those involved.

But often when we stick our noses in areas that are truly none of our business, we only end up hurting the very people we're trying to help.

In this case, many HAL service employees are sending home very welcome $$$ to their families who need them. Sometimes we really should leave well enough alone.

I always try to remember that what many fortunate Americans may view as very low pay is not viewed that way in many other parts of the world.

Has anyone else had this experience. We took our children and grandchildren on the Zuiderdam in March; 12 passengers in total. Shortly after our return I received an email from Stein Kruse thanking us for our loyalty. In return for updating my Mariner profile, I would qualify for a $100 shipboard credit on our next cruise if booked by a June date. As chance would have it we had booked the May 2 Rotterdam Black Sea and we asked our TA to apply the promotion. The only qualifier on the promotion was that it understandably could not be combined with any other shipboard credit offer. There was no other reference to any other general restrictions. Well you guessed it. HAL found a way to deny it. Because we had purchased this cruise on a 5 day flash it was not available. After a few emails and 1-800 calls and communicating with people that told me mostly I needed to talk to someone else and just a few days before our departure I sent Mr. Kruse a letter. I received his Assistant's response yesterday. Most an unsatisfactory form letter. The $100 is not the point. We are not wealthy but do cruise usually 3X per year. I wouldn't have bothered to apply if the promotion had even the "certain restrictions apply" disclaimer. It is just another example of how the Customer first attitude is changing. Anyone else had a similar experience and did you get an satisfaction?

Having been gone for nearly two weeks, this has been the first opportunity I've had to actually sit down and read through this entire thread.

Wow! :eek:

Brian, there are many points of your OP with which I agree, and there are some which I find a bit over-stated. And, let me add that I don't agree that Mr. Kruse should "go." I have made it no secret that I suspect that HALHQ is passing out stupid pills to the land-based administrative staff. For example, I suspect that someone did that to the team that designed the extension on the forward Lido Deck of the S and R ships (that extension which so horribly spoiled the forward view from the Crows Nest and makes the ships look like they're wearing a pair of glasses). We can all name other administrative and service-oriented changes which are NOT "for the better" and in no-wise "improved" the Line (though some of them might have improved the bottom dollar). Being a stockholder myself, I want HAL to make money. But I also want the class and style of the ships and the excellence of the Line's service to also be maintained.

I don't know where I'm going with this post, and am probably doing nothing but gushing a stream of consciousness. Frankly, I desperately need a cruise. November 3 wont' get here soon enough. I'm trying to get Mom to come with us ... but I don't think she will.

I'm not sure where the various posters get the idea that HAL is cheaper than other lines for kids, but in my experience that's not true. I travel with two kids, so I watch the kids fares quite closely. Sometimes I can find a competitive rate on HAL, but generally Princess and RCCL are much cheaper for the 3/4 passengers.

I think that the big problem is that most people just won't pay for the ammeneties like fresh flowers. Most cruisers care about price, itinerary and price. I took my first HAL cruise in the early 90's, and the quality has certainly slipped since then (I miss the little coasters with the ship's picture more than the fresh flowers). But I think that if HAL is going to have the nice, new ships I enjoy, that's going to mean offering a price low enough to fill it up. And, sadly, that means cutting out some benefits I like.

It's just like the airlines. Everyone complains about the lack of food and legroom, but when the airlines offer more legroom for $5 or a lunch for $7, no one will pay. So we get scrunched because we're, as a group, too cheap to pay for bigger seats.

Here's the question to ask about the pay of the staff: Is this your first contract. Because if they're on their 2nd (or more) contract, they find that the job is better than their alternatives. If the staff stop coming back, HAL will pay more.

Greg,

Good to see you back :)

I know this is the tough time for you and your family, trying to get back to "normal" after everything that has happened. Its a huge adjustment for all of you. Give Mom some time. I went through it with mine after my dad died. At first she was like a zombie, but little by little ,at her own pace ,she got back into life again. As you and your family have been these past few weeks , you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Back on Topic.....

Heather,

I fully agree with both yours and Ritas last posts.

When you see people working as hard as the ship staff do and for what we consider long hours and very low pay, (especially jobs we say we wouldn't do for "a million dollars"). Its easy , sometimes out of a sense of justice for all , sometimes out of a sense of guilt, to take up the cause for the downtrodden as we may picture them to be.

Welcome back, Greg. Been thinking of you and it's good to see you back.

This thread has been on my mind more than most because it bothers me that anyone here on CC feels we're in a position to decide whether or not Stein Kruse should hold his current position at HAL.

In the end, we can either choose to cruise HAL or not. How many do that will reflect how good a job Mr. Kruse is doing for the company. I still think it's a bit presumptious for any of us to toss this around.

None of us are forced up the gangway of HAL's ships. There's tons of other choices out there and if any of us think we'd be happier on another ship, hop aboard!:)

But no matter how much some of us may miss some things from days gone by, HAL is going to cater to the majority and not to our individual preferences.

And, truthfully, whether I like it or not that's how it should be.

This thread has been on my mind more than most because it bothers me that anyone here on CC feels we're in a position to decide whether or not Stein Kruse should hold his current position at HAL.

In the end, we can either choose to cruise HAL or not. How many do that will reflect how good a job Mr. Kruse is doing for the company. I still think it's a bit presumptious for any of us to toss this around.

Hello Heather, I enjoy your posts.

Agreed, but, I think the OP was using some hyperbole, and just doing a venting thread. No big deal. It's just talk.

Mark…

Has anyone else had this experience. We took our children and grandchildren on the Zuiderdam in March; 12 passengers in total. Shortly after our return I received an email from Stein Kruse thanking us for our loyalty. In return for updating my Mariner profile, I would qualify for a $100 shipboard credit on our next cruise if booked by a June date. As chance would have it we had booked the May 2 Rotterdam Black Sea and we asked our TA to apply the promotion. The only qualifier on the promotion was that it understandably could not be combined with any other shipboard credit offer. There was no other reference to any other general restrictions. Well you guessed it. HAL found a way to deny it. Because we had purchased this cruise on a 5 day flash it was not available. After a few emails and 1-800 calls and communicating with people that told me mostly I needed to talk to someone else and just a few days before our departure I sent Mr. Kruse a letter. I received his Assistant's response yesterday. Most an unsatisfactory form letter. The $100 is not the point. We are not wealthy but do cruise usually 3X per year. I wouldn't have bothered to apply if the promotion had even the "certain restrictions apply" disclaimer. It is just another example of how the Customer first attitude is changing. Anyone else had a similar experience and did you get an satisfaction?

Yes! I got a letter from his assistant which actually did not make sense. Try leaving her a detailed message. I have left two (the second saying that I wasn't sure if she received the first one) and no return back.

Btw, the $100 promotion is kind of dumb considering I received one in the mail a couple days ago showing $300 (outside), $500 (Verandah) and $1,000 (Suite) if you book a Med for 2008 by mid May. So, sending you a voucher for $100 (that has a no combination restriction) makes no sense if you want to go back to the Med and already have a better offer. And, he should be thanking you for 16 cruises and bringing a family of 12 this year too. He should not be sending out Vouchers with retrictions. You are either thanking a VERY loyal customer or you aren't. I can imagine the cost to take your family of 12 on a cruise.

Hello Heather, I enjoy your posts.

Agreed, but, I think the OP was using some hyperbole, and just doing a venting thread. No big deal. It's just talk.

Mark…

Thanks, Mark!:) And you're quite right ... it's all just talk. Isn't that what we all do best here???:D

Still, I guess I'm just sensitive to people's feelings and I'd sure hate to see a thread somewhere saying "Is it time for Heather to find a new job???";)

(fortunately for me that can never happen again in my lifetime ....)

Yes! I got a letter from his assistant which actually did not make sense. Try leaving her a detailed message. I have left two (the second saying that I wasn't sure if she received the first one) and no return back.

Btw, the $100 promotion is kind of dumb considering I received one in the mail a couple days ago showing $300 (outside), $500 (Verandah) and $1,000 (Suite) if you book a Med for 2008 by mid May. So, sending you a voucher for $100 (that has a no combination restriction) makes no sense if you want to go back to the Med and already have a better offer. And, he should be thanking you for 16 cruises and bringing a family of 12 this year too. He should not be sending out Vouchers with retrictions. You are either thanking a VERY loyal customer or you aren't. I can imagine the cost to take your family of 12 on a cruise.

You hit the nail on the head Jade13. Why do they send these promotions out if you can never use the. Either its clever markeing or intentionally deceptive. I may follow up with her again but my chances are likely between nil and none. We have an New Zealand/Australia Statendam on option currently. Maybe that will mean something

Archived