How long was the first cruise?

How many days was your first cruise?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How many days was your first cruise?

• 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7+

Our first cruise was 8 nights! We specifically didn't want a short cruise as our first cruise because we had heard that they may attract a younger crowd, which is fine, but we didn't want that on our anniversary cruise (our first).

We went with a 5 day cruise - we were told 3 days was too short to even get the feel of cruising but DH did not want to be "stuck" on a tub in the ocean too long if he hated it.........so we went middle of the road with a 5 day. DH fell in love with cruising, so did I and have now done 3 cruises in 7 months with 2 more booked and will be booking another this weekend most likely with Celebrity. We also have a "Nextcruise" in the drawer in case something sudden pops up on a hot deal or senior special. We did the right thing for us to start out with a 5 day.......

We booked a 7 day port intensive caribbean cruise. It was cancelled. We changed to another 7 day and it too was cancelled. First cruise so we wanted lots of port days so we would not get bored on the ship.

After 2 cancellations we were offered an 8 day 3 port cruise on the QE2 at the 3/4 passenger fare. Our travel agent said go for it - we said 3 ports in 8 days and we have to leave from NY.

It was fabulous. We were bumped to the Queens grill. Our stateroom had 2 closets. The bathroom had a marble tub and a bidet. We were so spoiled.

But after that the number of sea days were not very important. We learned how great cruising could be. We never did that 'first class' level again but we have had such a great time on board many different ships. Inside or outside cabin, ok food or great food we love the experience. The best is meeting so many fellow cruisers.

7 days- Puerto Plata (Domin. Repub.), San Juan, St. Thomas

I've never been on a shorter cruise, and IMHO, anything shorter than 7 nights is just too short!!! :p (Especially since we pretty much have to fly to any ports...)

7 day Mexican Riviera, we wanted to be close to home in case we didn't like it :rolleyes: we could fly home from Mexico. You know the old, we'll be bored, claustrophobic, with old people, etc. fears. We were so naive. Now I feel deprived if we don't cruise 2 times a year.

I'll never forget walking across the gangplank into the atrium and looking up for the first time...WOW.

our first was a four night with a port stops everyday. Seemed almost too short...was over before I realized it. Was soo exhausted on last day, didn't even get off the boat. Good luck convincing your fun:D

We went with a 5 day cruise - we were told 3 days was too short to even get the feel of cruising but DH did not want to be "stuck" on a tub in the ocean too long if he hated it.........so we went middle of the road with a 5 day. DH fell in love with cruising, so did I and have now done 3 cruises in 7 months with 2 more booked and will be booking another this weekend most likely with Celebrity. We also have a "Nextcruise" in the drawer in case something sudden pops up on a hot deal or senior special. We did the right thing for us to start out with a 5 day.......

Thanks this is very encouraging. I had to "middle of the road" it with my dh for our first coming up. I'm guessing your first was the enchantment 06? That is awesome! We may actually go for a short one again next time and bring the kids but we will see.

My first cruise was a 4 day on the Majesty. I had to try it out and see how the seas treated me since I am prone to seasickness. I was fine so we kept booking cruises again after that. Next we are onto the Majesty again next April. I want to see her new makeover!

4 nights to the Bahamas. First cruise was with Carnival, and we will NEVER cruise with them again. The crowd was way to rowdy, mostly drunken fools....:mad: . Wanted a short cruise to see if we would like it. Next cruise was on the Rhapsody and we were hooked on RCI. I remember not wanting to leave the ship on disembarkation day! :(

Next up is a 14 day Europe this September...can't wait:D

To be honest, I wish our first cruise had been longer. We left feeling that the cruise was fun, but I also left feeling that maybe cruising wasn't for me. Here are some things about me and my personality to help you understand and maybe help your friends.

With only a 3 day cruise, we didn't figure out that we didn't have to spend 2+ hours in the dining room late each night for dinner. The buffet would also have been really good. We were on a Disney cruise and wanted to try each of the 3 themed restaurants, but big, long meals are just not our thing. If the cruise had been longer, I would have had more time to explore the buffet, pizza and other options.

We only made 2 stops and did not have a sea day. The vacation felt really rushed. We did a 7 day Alaskan cruise and loved it. I think part of the reason was the benefit of being able to visit a lot of really cool places without having to repack. Most of the short cruises don't go to cool places.

We had bad weather on 1 out of 3 days. It doesn't seem to affect you as much when you have bad weather 1 or 2 out of 7 days.

It took about 2 days for us to get our sea legs (we had really big waves and high winds) so there was only one evening left to enjoy things without feeling a little odd.

I hope this helps.

Archived