99 Steps

scarlet4897

Ok, so on tripadvisor.com I saw this attraction at St. Thomas called "99 Steps"...

99 Steps, Charlotte Amalie

Step streets used by the residents of Charlotte Amalie, these historical 99 steps (the actual count is 103) were built from the ballast bricks of the tall ships coming from the old world, which would then return to Europe loaded with products from the islands.

Does anyone remember on one of the island tours (Henry EEE Tours, Sunny Liston or Godfrey), if the tour included the steps?? I really want to see this and am hoping to squeeze it in. Will the driver include it if I request it??

Thanks for the help in advance!

I was on Sunny Listons tour last year and don't remember it being on the tour. I am using Sunny Liston tours again this September. I would email them and see if it can be included. If its not out of the way i dont see why they wouldn't. Plus if they could get a better tip that may peruade them.

Yes, I will tip more for the extra stop. I will email the tours and see which one includes it, or will stop there. BTW? How much tip is customary for an island tour....I never know how much tip and I always worry I've under or over tipped.

Thanks.

If you visit Blackbeard's castle (which most tour operators will do), the 99 steps start there and finish by Emancipation park in Charlotte Amalie. You can walk down the steps and do some shopping, asking your tour guide to pick you up a set time, or you can get a little open air shuttle bus down to the town if the thought of all those steps is offputting! That's what my sister and I did in February and our husband's walked down.

Here's a link to the castle:

http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/

Hi!

Thank you so much for the information Is Blackbeard's castle at the end of the tour?? I'm sure I can arrange anything with the tour guide or just finish the tour with the steps and take a cab to Sapphire beach afterwards....

Thanks for the help!

On the RCCI tour we did it first, then a drive around island tour followed by the beach stop at the end. We liked it that way as once we've been on a beach we want to get back to shower and change and get of sand that gets into every nook and cranny! :D

If I were you I'd do what you suggest - do Blackbeards, 99 steps and shopping followed by a taxi to the beach. The taxi drivers will arrange with you when to pick you up if you want.

Definitely START at Blackbeard's Castle and enjoy the tower, bar, and pools on the grounds.

Then it's all downhill (LITERALLY!) from there....the walk is scenic, with historic homes and a Rum factory museum that you can visit on the way down. The rum factory had free samples of rum punch, which was well apprecietd on the hot day we were there!

At the bottom, you are right in the middle of the shopping district and could either shop, or continue on to the waterfront and the taxis to the beach.

One suggestion: seek out the R+J Cafe for some great coffee drinks and sandwiches on the road that goes along the water. It was delicious!

:)

Hello,

Some of the tour guides that offer the shopping/island tour/beach stop deals may drive past the 99 steps when leaving down town (shopping area) and going onto the island tour. They would not stop and let you go all the way up and back down I don't think. The road there is very narrow, one way and if it was a big tour vehicle they would be blocking traffic if they stopped there. It is possiable if you are taking the shop/island tour deal that you go check it out during the shop time, its just up Government Hill which is just next to the post office, which is just next to Emancipation Park where the taxis usually drop off passengers. Basically its not far from the shopping area.

If you are doing one of the 3 part group tours I don't think they stop at Blackbeards, which has an entry fee for a tour of the property plus several historic homes. Its an activity by itself. If you are doing a private tour then you can request the stops you are interested in when making the reservations and see what can be scheduled.

As Mim suggested you can take a taxi to Blackbeards and visit, go down the 99 steps, down Government Hill into downtown, shop or have lunch and then take a taxi to the beach. Taxis are easy to find at the cruise dock and downtown.

hcat - yes Herve's is on Government Hill so is the 99 steps, very close.

--Islander

Thanks for info--How much is cab for 2 to Backbeards?--seems we could start there as suggested & work our way to herve for an early lunch & then down to the town & cab back to the ship. Last trip we went to St Johns & have not been into the town in many yrs so cannot place any of this in my mind!

• 3 weeks later...

Islander -

Thanks so much for your information on this web board! Do you think we could ask the driver to drop us at Blackbeard's castle in the morning before the shopping, then we can do the castle and 99 steps during our morning "shopping time"?

Thank you so much!

Is there a way to just go to the top of the 99 steps & skip the castle & entrance fee, have lunch at Herve & then shop...The walk down sounds Ok but getting to the top would be tough walking! Main interest would be the lunch & views from the top...

Hello,

Scarlet - If you are doing a private tour it shouldn't be a problem. If you are doing a group trip then the driver is likely going to drop the folks shopping off first and might be available to take you to Blackbeards as your starting point. You'd really need to ask the driver/taxi you plan to go with and if you are waiting until you are on island to catch a tour/taxi then ask before boarding so you know whats possiable and if there is any price different and so forth.

hcat - Sure you can just check out the 99 steps and then have lunch at Herve's, which is just a short distance from the bottom of the steps.

--Islander

We went there last week. It was a $4 pp taxi ride from the ship to Blackbeard's. Admission was $12 pp. The guy at the door was obnoxious, when we started asking questions he closed the door in our faces. We walked around the outside of the fence and down the 99 steps. You can take pictures from around back, not as good as what you would get inside but there was no way we were going to give that idiot our money.

I have a group of about 10 people, assuming everyone wants the tour, I've emailed the major tour companies on St. Thomas, and they've all told me that they'll do a private tour for our 10 person group.... I need to ask them if we could do the tour first in the am, then the downtown portion, then the beach. That way we can have a nice lunch at Herve after the tour at 12 and not have to rush....

I will ask that they drop us at Blackbeard's castle to finish, that way we can walk DOWN the 99 steps, then do lunch at Herve's at the bottom and then wander around shoppping for a couple of hours, then beach from 2-4pm.

I wonder if they'll do that.....hmmmm.

Definitely START at Blackbeard's Castle and enjoy the tower, bar, and pools on the grounds.

Then it's all downhill (LITERALLY!) from there....the walk is scenic, with historic homes and a Rum factory museum that you can visit on the way down. The rum factory had free samples of rum punch, which was well apprecietd on the hot day we were there!

At the bottom, you are right in the middle of the shopping district and could either shop, or continue on to the waterfront and the taxis to the beach.

One suggestion: seek out the R+J Cafe for some great coffee drinks and sandwiches on the road that goes along the water. It was delicious!

:)

I'm trying to find out about the pools at Blackbeards and do they have a bar and lounge chairs? Any info would be appreciated. My email address is: Nancie@Austin.rr.com.. Thanks! Nancie

Archived