How's Princess for a HAL cruiser?

SWeaster

After three wonderful seven day cruises on Holland America's larger ships we are now planning for a ten day southern Caribbean cruise in March or April 2008. The Emerald Princess and HAL's Maasdam both sail from Fort Lauderdale then and are visiting a couple of the same ports that we are interested in. We are torn between these two ships. Whichever line sends us a sale brochure in the mail first may wind up with our booking. ;)

In HAL's favor, we have been very pleased with their 1800-ish passenger Vista class ships along with the meals, entertainment and especially the crews of the three we were on. Presumably, their smaller albeit older ships in the 1250 passenger range, like the Maasdam, will be just as great.

There's another plus with Holland America for those of us that don't like cramped shower stalls. I believe that HAL's outside cabins, both with and without balconies, have tubs with showers while Princess provides only a shower chamber. Our regular balcony cabins on HAL's Zuiderdam and Westerdam had tubs with showers. The suite on Oosterdam had both a tub with shower and a separate shower so I had an opportunity to try both on that cruise. After using the small glass enclosed shower one time I went back to the much more spacious tub for the rest of our cruise.

In Princess' favor, the brand new and much larger (3100 passenger) Emerald Princess seems to have some economy of scale. For a total of just a few hundred dollars more than one of the better outside cabins on HAL's Maasdam we can have a middle of the road balcony on the Princess ship.

Having enjoyed HAL's Vista class ships with about two-thirds as many passengers we don't know yet whether three thousand passengers on this Princess ship would be good or bad.

One of the guys at work cruises a couple times every year with his wife. They have been on just about every cruise line that sails the Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera, Hawaii and Alaska except for Holland America. Knowing how we have enjoyed Holland America he thinks that we would also be quite happy on any Princess ship and suggested that we give it a try. We can always come home to HAL if it this mega-ship turns out not to be our cup of tea, assuming that they'll take us back. :)

As an engineer designing industrial machinery I tend to over-research everything. Vacation planning seems to be no exception. So far, we still haven't decided. Perhaps some loyal Princess cruisers can provide their insight to a couple loyal Holland America customers.

Bill

kb8fu@loraincounty.com

If you are used to HAL's suites and larger cabins, a balcony cabin on Princess may be a let down to you. If you are seriously looking at Princess, I would go for a mini suite or above. Princess regular balcony cabins are pretty much a smal bedroom with limited seating space, and small shower only. When you get into the mini suite category, you will find a nice sitting area and larger bathroom with tub/shower combination. Balcony cabins don't actually have a sitting area but just a chair or two to relax. Where as the minis and above have a couch, chairs, tables in a seperate area from the bedroom.

i haven't been on princess yet, but i have been on the maasdam. it is a very beautiful ship with excellent service. you are correct, even a regular outside cabin on the maasdam has a tub and sitting area. they are 197 square feet. i've seen the suites, and if you care to spend the money they look fabulous.

I just returned from the Emerald Princess (first Princess cruise), and though I haven't sailed HAL for a number of years, there is no question in my mind that I would choose HAL.

We had a handicapped mini suite which was really nice, but the service doesn't begin to compare to HAL's, and everyone was complaining how Princess nickels and dimes everyone to death.

my wife and i are platinum on princess, so obviously we like the product. that being said, i must admit, the one hal cruise we sailed (westerdam, 2 years ago) was arguably the best. i think princess and hal are more similar than different. princess seems to be getting a little more mass market style. hal had a more personal feel. i like going on different cruise lines, because each has its own positive characteristics. whenever we sail with a different line we compare everything to princess. generally, if you are pleased with hal, i think you will be pleased with princess.

We have cruised on both - Princess for the first time last September. At first, we were suprised by the size of the balcony cabin in comparision to HAL. However, we soon found out that it did not make a bit of difference to us, even the small "shower" turned out to be fine. We don't use the bathtub on HAL anyway.

We loved Caribbean Princess and are sailing on her again this September.

I do believe that the service is better on HAL but there were more things to do on the CB. The pools were nicer and we loved anytime dining.

We were on the Maasdam last year for the New England Cruise and loved the ship. I enjoyed the larger stateroom and balcony and not being squeezed in the shower. The ship's average age was much older than Princess if that is a concern for you. They had some lovely quiet activities in the evening that I enjoyed some nites.

We are going on the Emerald in 2 months, and have sailed on the Diamond, also a large Princess ship. I found it much more active in the evening. To be frank, when I am on vacation I enjoy each individual experience, prepare for some bumps in the road, and relish each day. I can't even imagine how people can complain about "nickel and diming" when they are on Med or any cruise. How fortunate we are to be able to afford to travel and see the world. If you would like further details on the Emerald after our return feel free to email me at jconti@nycap.rr.com.

I know you will enjoy either cruise.

My DH and I went on 2 Princess cruises (Golden and Caribbean) and decided to try HAL. We cruised on the Zuiderdam in January and loved the ship and staff. We had a wonderful time but also found the age is older and quiet at night.

We just booked the Crown Princess for November as we really like the anytime dining and food options. We found Princess to be more of our liking especially for seafood. We also love the larger size balconies on the Caribe deck so that makes up for the smaller bathrooms.

We have sailed Holland America twice and Celebrity twice. We took a Princess cruise last year. The Princes cruise couldn't even touch celebrity or Holland America for service,cabins,and especially food. The Princess dining room looked like an 'Early Bird Special" dining room in Boca Raton.

There was nothing even remotely itimate about the dining room,unlike Holland America who has a string quartet playing while you eat and Celebrity with their white glove service.

We didn't have a bad cruise and we even booked princess again (the price was right)

It appears Princess (according to these boards) is the ship where people don't want to dress up on formal nights and pack their suitcases with cases of soda.

Stick with Holland America (they still know the fine art of cruising)

SWeaster - thanks for posting this thread! We have been on 2 HAL cruises - Volendam 2004 and Noordam this past March. We have also been on Celebrity (x1) and RCCL (x3). We have recently booked the Emerald for Feb 2008. I've been wondering about the same issues. So far we've never run across a cruise we didn't LOVE. I'm certain our upcoming Emerald sailing will be the same. Nevertheless, it is interesting to hear all different points of view.:D

while we personally prefer Princess, it sounds like you would be happier on HAL. Loved our cruise on the Ryndam, would happily sail HAL again; just prefer Princess ourselves. But the things you say you like about HAL suggest that it is a much better fit for you. You'll have a great cruise no matter which you choose.

Your a P.E. so nothing is ever wrong with research. A man from there then which lived here and a mentor of mine was always doing research. T.A. Edison .Yes he invented the Punch Clock too..and so many more Industrial methods and items..

Oh well back to Ship Shape..

HAL is great and so is Princess in many things each as in everything has a plus side and a negative side well ground.. the ship we are going on does have the smallest shower I have seen on a mass market ship in the USA .. 3x3 feet *YIKES* watchout for the spin cycle.. no whirling durbishes here....

The shows were/are better than HALs..

HAL has Princess by Miles in Cuisine...

On Sale Brochures.. I am embarrassed each time I get them from princess as they think they are able to pull the wool over your eyes.. HAL at least spells it out.

I do get the best cost basis once we decide where when and why then I shop the how ... and book the now...

Why not try Princess Cruise lines at least once..?

Try not to compare when you go aboard though and when you come back look at it (your trip) outside the box and see what you liked..disliked..and thought was at par.. that way you have a neutral view and see things differently too.

After three wonderful seven day cruises on Holland America's larger ships we are now planning for a ten day southern Caribbean cruise in March or April 2008. The Emerald Princess and HAL's Maasdam both sail from Fort Lauderdale then and are visiting a couple of the same ports that we are interested in. We are torn between these two ships. Whichever line sends us a sale brochure in the mail first may wind up with our booking. ;)

In HAL's favor, we have been very pleased with their 1800-ish passenger Vista class ships along with the meals, entertainment and especially the crews of the three we were on. Presumably, their smaller albeit older ships in the 1250 passenger range, like the Maasdam, will be just as great.

There's another plus with Holland America for those of us that don't like cramped shower stalls. I believe that HAL's outside cabins, both with and without balconies, have tubs with showers while Princess provides only a shower chamber. Our regular balcony cabins on HAL's Zuiderdam and Westerdam had tubs with showers. The suite on Oosterdam had both a tub with shower and a separate shower so I had an opportunity to try both on that cruise. After using the small glass enclosed shower one time I went back to the much more spacious tub for the rest of our cruise.

In Princess' favor, the brand new and much larger (3100 passenger) Emerald Princess seems to have some economy of scale. For a total of just a few hundred dollars more than one of the better outside cabins on HAL's Maasdam we can have a middle of the road balcony on the Princess ship.

Having enjoyed HAL's Vista class ships with about two-thirds as many passengers we don't know yet whether three thousand passengers on this Princess ship would be good or bad.

One of the guys at work cruises a couple times every year with his wife. They have been on just about every cruise line that sails the Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera, Hawaii and Alaska except for Holland America. Knowing how we have enjoyed Holland America he thinks that we would also be quite happy on any Princess ship and suggested that we give it a try. We can always come home to HAL if it this mega-ship turns out not to be our cup of tea, assuming that they'll take us back. :)

As an engineer designing industrial machinery I tend to over-research everything. Vacation planning seems to be no exception. So far, we still haven't decided. Perhaps some loyal Princess cruisers can provide their insight to a couple loyal Holland America customers.

Bill

kb8fu@loraincounty.com

We are in our mid-fifties and aren't late night party people. That rules out a couple of the other Carnival Corporation holdings along with some of their competitors. Based on their reputations we think that Princess, Holland America, Cunard and Celebrity hold the greatest appeal.

You're a P.E. so nothing is ever wrong with research.

Not a PE although I did pass the Fundamentals of Engineering exam here in Ohio and was awarded a few patents during a three decade tenure with a past employer.

... the ship we are going on does have the smallest shower I have seen on a mass market ship in the USA .. 3x3 feet *YIKES*
Having been to Japan four times on business over the years small hotel rooms aren't a big concern. Although their hotel bathrooms are much smaller than on a cruise ship, they always had a small but adequate bathtub. By the way, the smallest shower ever was at a hotel in New York City where it wasn't possible to bend over to pick up a dropped bar of soap.
Why not try Princess Cruise lines at least once..?
That's not a bad idea and the direction that we're leaning at the moment. There will certainly be things that we like better and some that we aren't as excited about. Anytime dining doesn't appeal to us as we prefer an early traditional fixed seating with the same table mates and dining staff. On the other hand, the "anytime" approach seems no different that eating out at a nice restaurant every night.

Bill, kb8fu@loraincounty.com

SWeaster

We have over 40 cruises on HAL and we are elite members on Princess. We booked a suite for the Emerald Princess for March of 2008 but discovered that it was right under MUTS which runs all day long. We were able to hear the movie on the Caribbean Princess while we were on the Maasdam in March in Crown Bay. Needless ro say we have cancelled that cruise. Movies all the time - no way. Unfortunately the aft suites were all booked up.

If you do decide to go on Princess, I will be anxious to read your comparison of the 2 lines.

I have travelled on both lines. You didn't mention your age, if kids are travelling, etc....

In my opinion, if you are 'older', no kids, like 'dressing up', larger rooms, butlers, covered balconies, sommeliers at dinner, stick with HAL.

In my opinion, HAL is great for the 65+ crowd, who want a more traditional style cruise...

However, if you are 'younger', with kids, prefer more casual dress, huge sun-filled balconies, 24 Hot tubs n pools n buffets, don't need butlers, more selection at dinner, energized nights, you'll adore Princess...

In my opinion, Princess is a better fit for the 25-45 crowd, who want a more relaxed hipper vacation.

In my opinion, X meets in the middle (lol)

jc

toronto

Star Jan 2007

Xpedition Sept 2007

I like both lines, but prefer Princess. I have been on the Zuiderdam and the Golden Princess. I would go with the better itinerary & pricing. Princess is my favorite, but I went back on the Zuiderdam because the itinerary included Tortola an island I always wanted to visit.

Haven't sailed HAL but certainly would try it.

I agree with AAAAmerica, I too laugh at the brochures they send out. I can always get better pricing than they quote. Also when you do sail don't try and compare the two lines until you get home.

I've sailed with a couple of line, and yes one does some things better, and the other does other things better.

I disagree with the earlier post about the age for Princess. We are in in our mid/early 40s and we found when were sailing that most people were much older than us, not these cruises were not in the Caribbean (exotic Mexican and Pacific Northwest), but when we sail in the Caribbean the age is much closer to ours. But we enjoy whatever age is onboard, we love being the young folks at the table, don't hear that often. :D

Sweaster, Wow, our stories almost mirror one another. My DH and I have done 3 HAL cruises and loved them all, we too were looking for a ten day and thought the Massadam was it, UNTILL I spotted the 10 day on the Emerald. I drove myself crazy (others too) trying to figure it all out. In the end we choose the Emerald because we did not know what to expect, free style dinning, MUTS (movies under the stars) and a Roll Call Board with people so excited about this ship they started the thread in 2006. Yep 2006 !! I figured they must know something I didn’t. Hey if you never try anything new, you won’t know. It just might be you’re cup of tea after all.

You will not like the beds on Princess after being on HAL's. If you decide to go on Princess you should fax your request into headquarters for an eggcrate topper for your sailing. HAL and Carnival's beds are the ones that people brag about.

And the others are absolutely correct with everything below a balcony cabin with the shower being tiny. You would have to get a minisuite to get a tub with shower and a sofa.

Princess does have alot of nightlife but it appears you are not into that. The food really does vary in quality from ship to ship and even voyage to voyage as the crew changes. Princess does offer the anytime dining but if you really want the traditional dining with the set times you need to book early as it fills up fast.

Having been on RCCL ,Celebrity,Ren, HAL and Princess

i can say that theres not a huge difference between any of them

yes the beds on HAL are great as are the cabin sizes

the HAL food selection at breakfast and lunch buffet knocked spots off the others but we found dinner in Dining Room on HAL very poor

I think the entertainment on X and Princess is better than HAL

and certainly the repeat cruiser benefits on Princess are good

it really all depends on exactly whats important to you

Archived